• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
It feels really bad to wake up to this news. I've been dreading it ever since the video came out. RIP Etika.

If you or someone you know is feeling suicidal please seek help. Have them avoid drugs and alcohol. Stay in communication, be supportive and don't keep it a secret. Stay positive and encouraging for them.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I'll admit, I thought this was going to be another one of his stunts. Extremely unfortunate--RIP Etika.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
heartbreaking. seen this cycle far too many times in people around me. mental health is treated like a joke in this country.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I'm not just sad. I'm fucking furious. Furious that he had been showing signs of mental health issues for months, if not longer, and yet was being clowned on constantly by an ignorant fanbase with memes and shitposts, including here on Era.

Society failed Etika. We failed Etika. Fuck this.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I kept repeating over and over that Etika has been very LGBT supportive in the past. I kept saying over and over again that if he has a mental illness, and mental illnesses can make you do absolutely insane stuff (such as...killing yourself, as we see here), it can OBVIOUSLY make you say the F-word. It's a fucking word. And yet people in here insisted in saying that he's a clown and a bigot and whatever, because of saying the f-word in middle of a mental breakdown while showing CLEAR signs of mental health issues.

Let this be a lesson, please. If someone who has shown to be progressive over and over again suddenly starts to show clear signs of mental health issues, and while this is happening they say something they shouldn't say, maybe cut that person some slack until they recover? It's just... common sense. He wasn't himself while all this was going down. He needed support, not people calling him a clown on Twitter. In fact, in the suicide note he uploaded, he mentioned how everyone considered him a clown. The way people on the Internet treated him during all this was a factor.

Please take mental health issues seriously people. Don't concentrate your sight on a word while ignoring the clear mental health issues the person was facing when he spouted said word. This was not a pewdiepie scenario, yet people insisted in treating it as one.

Oh and also, that one time in where he implied he was going to kill himself and then backtracked and said that he actually meant killing his previous persona and starting from scratch? I think that wasn't a hoax. I believe he did try to kill himself at that point, but in the end decided not to, and tried to convince people that he never actually thought of killing himself.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I just have to say that the "I told you so" posts and doubt-shaming maybe belong in their own thread and discussion. In this thread they're coming across really distastefully, even though it's obviously really important that we all learn an important lesson from this episode.

RIP. Reach out to someone *today* who you know is struggling with their mental health.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe this..........I was just watching his Persona 5 battle theme reaction hoping he was okay...no :(

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Rest In Peace.

One thing the NYPD did with that tweet and OP did with this thread was only stating that he was found deceased and not the method or why. This is a step in the right direction.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Etika was a pioneer in the reaction videos genre, since the Mewtwo Smash Bros. reaction video, and he was wholesomely recreated in a Wii U stage in Japan for his influence in the gaming culture.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rest in peace etika, the guy clearly needed help, i wish he would have gotten it before things got to this point. Please to anyone, if you ever feel the urge to take your own life. Call the hotline asap or if you dont have access to a phone seek out a loved one

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's terrible to say but you really did get the feeling that this story would end this way unless there was a swift intervention that didn't seem to be coming. He certainly wasn't perfect but nobody deserves a life cut short. Rest In peace.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
F*ck that's really depressing, twice they got him in a hospital recently but sadly they let him go.
Rest in peace.

Dec 2, 2017
I'm still very angry at that previous thread, showing how callous some people on this very forum were about the whole situation. I don't care what he did before, dude did not deserve that, he deserved help and recovery. Rest in peace.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
The internet can be a very cruel place and one can nearly see how it can break down a person and encourage certain actions.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about the way some people acted in that last thread makes me fucking sick.
Seriously man it's fucking disgusting. People literally used "boy who cried wolf" as an excuse to just brush away his last video. It's not always so cut and dry when it comes to situations like this.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I'm not just sad. I'm fucking furious. Furious that he had been showing signs of mental health issues for months, if not longer, and yet was being clowned on constantly by an ignorant fanbase with memes and shitposts, including here on Era.

Society failed Etika. We failed Etika. Fuck this.

I wholeheartedly agree, the only person who really fucking tried to get him the help he needs was his ex-girlfriend. Yes, other friends reached out and he blocked them, but a lot of his friends made fun of him too for the last year. He absolutely deserved better. We all could sit here and complain about the Psych Wards doing whatever it is they did right because he couldn't be forced to stay in them any longer.
He deserved better.
He absolutely did.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Awful news yet sadly unsurprising. Watching from afar, it was clear that he needed far more help than he was getting and that the entanglement of his personal life and role as a youtube personality was not beneficial to his mental health, particularly in the last several months. I hope that this leads to some people online taking these situations more seriously and hopefully adjusting their speech to help prevent future tragedies like this. Some of the reactions to his "antics" as people came to call his clear breakdowns were disgusting, disappointing, and disheartening as someone always going through similar situations.

RIP

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
How this fucking happened pisses me off. Signs were obviously there earlier, but fuck the system for not being able to detain him. It was so so so so obvious that he was beyond repair in April and needed serious help to re-build slowly.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
If a mental issue made as public as this couldn't get the help it needed, makes you really feel for the random person barely anyone know about with mental issues. This whole story is just depressing.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I met him at PAX East a couple years ago. He was a really cool guy.

Also, fuck everyone who went after him for his illness. He didn't deserve this. Seriously, I think mods should comb through the other thread and start issuing bans.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
absolutely upsetting

I really wish he could have gotten the help he needed

RIP Desmond

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
I was out of video games for probably about 10 years, this guy brought me back in with his excitement for the Switch before and after it's release. One of the realest of dudes, going to miss him a lot