• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Legally you can't keep someone in a psych ward indefinitely against their will.

He's also not a minor so it complicates things.

It's a big gap in the system. He needed to be in treatment center for months.
They were not legally allowed to hold him against his will. He demonstrated enough lucidity to leave hospitalization multiple times over the past half year or so. It's absolutely tragic.
I see. That's really unfortunate :/

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I saw this coming following his mental breakdowns over the past half-year -- I'm aware of personal rights regarding mental health and whatnot, but it speaks volumes regarding our mental health care system in how he did NOT get the help he so obviously, desperately needed. My condolences to his family, friends and fans.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
God damn. I feel awful for his family and friends and quite honestly sick to the stomach recalling some of the posts on here about him.

Nov 18, 2017
it'd be cool if there were a private way to assemble a list of those users so I can block them

I am still livid at that thread, absolutely disgusted by Era users that day, a block list wouldnt be a bad idea.

Even if someone cries wolf 100 times, you still better be there to help them at 101.

I am just absolutely gutted he couldnt get the help he was clearly crying out for. Such a good dude his videos always got me pumped, loved watching his hype reaction vids.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
All those assholes that were mad at him should be ashamed.

Mental health is a real, important thing.

I hope he rests in peace.
It's unfortunate. Obviously he had said some really terrible things in recent months that turned people against him, which further snowballed into people being callous about his mental health situation. Ultimately this is a person that needed support from people who knew him in real life, who could be more direct and forceful about him getting help. While the internet is often good about reporting people who appear suicidal, there is only so much that can be done, particularly when the person in question refuses to seek help.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Urgh, that's awful, especially as he indicated this would happen on his YouTube channel last week.

RIP brother.

I really hope mental health issues are taken more seriously in the near future.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I haven't watched his videos or streams in a long, long time, but seeing what was happening to him in the past year or so, along with people cheering it along, making memes about it, and laughing at him, was absolutely heartbreaking. Hopefully this makes people realize how big of an issue mental illnesses are, and that it's NEVER okay to make light of someone's mental illness or suicidal thoughts. This is absolutely heartbreaking.
RIP Etika.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate how this all went down, even from last year. Dammit :(

RIP Etika. We lost a good one....

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I clocked countless people mocking his suicide threat on Twitter and elsewhere, calling him a clown, weak and more.

Can't believe there are people who would even think of doing something like that. What a sad day.

Hope his friends and family are alright.

Nov 23, 2017
RIP. This is sad. I have his J O Y C O N B O Y Z shirt. He was a funny guy. His love for gaming was infectious. Thank you Etika for your sense of humor and sense of fun. He will be missed. :(

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
dissapointed some of his joycon.boyz crew have been silent on this whole thing while they continue tweeting like normal

Envelope

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legally you can't keep someone in a psych ward indefinitely against their will.

He's also not a minor so it complicates things.

It's a big gap in the system. He needed to be in treatment center for months.
It's really not a gap or a fault of the system in this case, legally and ethically you can't indefinitely restrain someone against their will if they have the capacity to make their own (in this guy's case, poor) decisions are are not actively seeking to harm themselves at that time

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I used to get a lot of joy and amusement out of watching Etika's over-the-top reaction videos.

No human life should have to end like this. Severe mental health problems can isolate you from your loved ones; make you say and do stupid things as your mind slips out of control; and finally, take everything away.

There is not nearly enough empathy, understanding, availability and affordability of medical resources in this country for mental illness. In their absence, people are allowed to 'slip through the cracks' and suffer.

Rest In Peace Iceman. I'm so sorry we couldn't save you.

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
I can not believe the people in the last few threads. Hope they take a good look at themselves and reevaluate their thoughts on mental health. It is sickening the posts that people were making.