• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Some resource links for suicide prevention and how to get help.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Goddammit, man. He didn't deserve this- he was obviously in need of help when he was put under arrest. Fuck man.

If you feel you might be suicidal, and live in the United States, I urge you to call the Suicide Hotline at 800-273-8255 or navigate to http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ for a live chat and additional resources. If it's not an emergency, but you want to know more about mental health, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) offers information on their website https://www.nami.org/ and a free HELPLINE 800-950-6264. If you do not live in the United States please seek out local resources. /r/SuicideWatch has a list that may cover your country: /r/SuicideWatch/wiki/hotlines Let me know if you need any other guidance to people who help.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
RIP

It's incredibly saddening how people don't take signs of mental illness seriously and something like this is what it takes for there to be a legitimate conversation about it.

PoshAlligator

Jan 24, 2018
Jesus. This is heavy. I actually used to chat with him semi- regularly before his YouTube stuff took off, when were both involved in the same Sonic community. I've not followed his YT stuff closely and we fell out of touch. I'd seen some updates that things weren't going great for him and hoped he'd get through it...

Met him in person once. He flew all the way from the US for a meetup several years ago. Even then his personality was infectious and he was stoked to meet me. He insisted we got a picture and he was really nice the whole day. Back then I used to do a little live podcast thing that not many people listened to, but he'd listen in. I didn't have a lot of confidence back then, and he'd always encourage me and say my material was entertaining and funny. It meant a lot at that time and really pushed me to keep going.

I'm beyond upset to hear about this. I almost can't believe it. Please take your mental health seriously and reach out to people who can help.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I've been following the updates since the first thread and was hoping it wouldn't be a worst case scenario.

RIP. This is so horrible.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Heartbreaking. Rest in peace, it's a tragedy no one successfully got through to him.

I hope everyone who tried to downplay his situation in any shape or form are feeling horrible about this. And donate to a charity or something.

You never ever make fun or light of someone who appears suicidal or suffering from mental health issues. If you do, you are nothing but scum.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
God damn RIP. The only Youtube personality i was fascinated with. They should of got him help a long time, the signs was all there.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
His Smash 4 videos were GOAT. Wish he got the help he needed and wish assholes on here and everywhere else didn't mock his obvious mental illness.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
WTF

This is terrible :(. What THE UTTER FUCK were the people who released him from psych ward thinking????

R.i.p. and condolences to friends and family. I very sincerely hope the internet has the restraint to treat them and the issues at hand with the respect they deserve.
Legally you can't keep someone in a psych ward indefinitely against their will.

He's also not a minor so it complicates things.

It's a big gap in the system. He needed to be in treatment center for months.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
WTF

This is terrible :(. What THE UTTER FUCK were the people who released him from psych ward thinking????

R.i.p. and condolences to friends and family. I very sincerely hope the internet has the restraint to treat them and the issues at hand with the respect they deserve.
They were not legally allowed to hold him against his will. He demonstrated enough lucidity to leave hospitalization multiple times over the past half year or so. It's absolutely tragic.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is awful. :(

Don't know the guy personally but he will be missed. I always looked forward for his reaction videos on SMASH and other video games. :(

RIP

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dear God, I hoped it wouldn't be true. Rest in Peace man, you brought some great laughs and smiles with your reactions. Your life and views may have been problematic, but I can't imagine the mental struggles you've suffered through.

Again, RIP.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
RIP. It really bites. I been following this for a while. He was just spiraling downward and no one seemed to help him.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
RIP. In retrospective, deleting his massive Youtube channel and main source of income should've been a clear red flag. As long as mental illness is as stigmatized as it is, it'll never get better.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
To see him accept in the end that he needed help but thinking it was too late him was heartbreaking to see. RIP Etika. It's never too late guys, I have to tell myself this same thing from time to time but it's true.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Goddammit, man. He didn't deserve this- he was obviously in need of help when he was put under arrest. Fuck man.

If you feel you might be suicidal, and live in the United States, I urge you to call the Suicide Hotline at 800-273-8255 or navigate to http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ for a live chat and additional resources. If it's not an emergency, but you want to know more about mental health, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) offers information on their website https://www.nami.org/ and a free HELPLINE 800-950-6264. If you do not live in the United States please seek out local resources. /r/SuicideWatch has a list that may cover your country: /r/SuicideWatch/wiki/hotlines Let me know if you need any other guidance to people who help.

boosting this. i dealt with suicidal thoughts for a number of years before i sought help. if i didn't have friends and family who encouraged me to seek a psychiatrist, and if i didn't have a job that can help me pay for the medicine i take, this could easily be me.

you aren't alone and there's nothing bad or awful or wrong about you. you just need some help.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I don't follow him but still this is a sad situation all around. Mental illness isn't something to joke on.

Rest in Peace.

blupsy

Jun 14, 2019
Fuck. Really sorry to hear this. Having to go through mental illness on a public platform like his is something I can't fathom

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Unless you are baker acted its very hard/nigh impossible to be held against your will in a psyche facility if you are not deemed to be an immediate threat to yourself or others

This is probably the worst news to start the day off to. I really wished it wouldn't have had to come to this.
ehh, maybe. I probably shouldn't be pointing fingers, but there were a loooooot of troubling signs, even just glancing at the number of threads that were created here :/

There has to be a more efficient way for people to get the psychological treatment they need

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Awful news, been following this somewhat as of late and I knew yesterday's news sort of confirmed it but damn. He's my age too, what a damn shame. Condolences. His reactions for anything Nintendo were always great, even if it was over the top(It was in a good way). RIP.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit...
People cheered in real time on mentally ill person digging his own grave. Of course nothing will change and business as usual on YouTube and Twitch.

Oct 25, 2017
My fucking heart just sank into my stomach.

I was hoping the body they found was not him, even though a tiny piece of me knew the truth.

Fucking RIP man. Awesome guy. I was never a Nintendo guy, but really enjoyed his videos.

How the hell did this happen? He kept talking about how he fucked his life and whatever. But I don't get it. How did he fuck his life?

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Tragic stuff. Shame that he couldn't get the help that he needed :( RIP

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't familiar with him until seeing the threads pop up here but after watching the months tick by while he acted out more and more it was clear he wasn't doing okay. Terrible to hear and my thoughts go out to his fans and family. Hopefully people will be more understanding in the future. I'm not sure if the people he surrounded himself with sought to get him the help he needed or took advantage but I'd hope others will look at this and realize clicks ain't it. Get your friends the help they need and be there for them