• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
Here's a free book on police abolition for those interested in good faith discussion.

Verso

Verso Books is the largest independent, radical publishing house in the English-speaking world.

this is a fucking brilliant rec, thank you

here's a good preview/excerpt for those who wanna get the feel of this book

www.vice.com

The Police Are Not Here to Protect You

An excerpt from Alex S. Vitale's 'The End of Policing' shows how police forces were originally started to manage the poor, foreign and nonwhite, not to care for civilians.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Abolish the police and reshape the way we think of societies and governments, the current standard cannot go on.

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I've heard a few people say the "run them over" part was spliced in but can't really find anything definitive. Is there more definitive confirmation?

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
This is horrifying but not surprising . I hope all mainstream media picks this up.

I never felt as poor talking with my cop and my firefighter friend at dinner on how much they made a year before. And I work for a bank.

Yea cops absolutely make enough. I got my degree in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Law Enforcement just because of the pay + usually 25 years then you can retire with a pension. Decided that wasn't the way for me to go though with how things were heading around 6 years ago. Oh well. Shit maybe if this all sparks some sort of police reform I might actually consider putting my degree to good use.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

www.cbsnews.com

Police chief says he doesn't "believe racism plays a role" in NYPD, as protesters fill streets

A deputy chief described the protests as a "mob mentality" and said, "We don't like people walking in the middle of the street."
"What role does racism play in these outcomes where you have black men dying at a greater rate than other populations at the hands of police?" Dokoupil asked Monahan.
"I don't believe racism plays a role in New York. I can only speak for what I've seen in New York City," Monahan said.
"And yet, you've got these outcomes. And if those protesters heard you say that racism doesn't play a role, that's why they're here. That's why they're angry. They don't think you get it," Dokoupil said.
"I would never say that we are a racist police department. Absolutely not. Have incidents happened? Maybe there was a racist incident, something, and that person has been removed from this agency? Absolutely," Monahan said. "We all care about the communities we work in. We care deeply in the minority communities, the cops that work there, each and every day."
Monahan said officers in his department frequently face repercussions for inappropriate actions. He said over 100 cops are fired in New York City every year.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
apnews.com

Police shove, make AP journalists stop covering protest

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City police officers surrounded, shoved and yelled expletives at two Associated Press journalists covering protests Tuesday in the latest aggression against members of the media during a week of unrest around the country.

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City police officers surrounded, shoved and yelled expletives at two Associated Press journalists covering protests Tuesday in the latest aggression against members of the media during a week of unrest around the country.
Portions of the incident were captured on video by videojournalist Robert Bumsted, who was working with photographer Maye-E Wong to document the protests in lower Manhattan over the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.
The video shows more than a half-dozen officers confronting the journalists as they filmed and took photographs of police ordering protesters to leave the area near Fulton and Broadway shortly after an 8 p.m. curfew took effect.
An officer, using an expletive, orders them to go home. Bumsted is heard on video explaining the press are considered "essential workers" and are allowed to be on the streets. An officer responds "I don't give a s—-." Another tells Bumsted "get the f—- out of here you piece of s—-."
Bumsted and Wong said officers shoved them, separating them from each other and pushing them toward Bumsted's car, which was parked nearby. At one point Bumsted said he was pinned against his car. He is heard on video telling the officer that Wong has his keys and he needs them to leave the area. Officers then allowed Wong to approach and the two got in the vehicle and left.
Both journalists were wearing AP identification and identified themselves as media.
"They didn't care," Wong said. "They were just shoving me."
NYPD officials said they would "review this as soon as possible."

Last edited:

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Will anyone ever make a TV series that actually depicts the actual police and how shitty it is?
Seriously, the only way I can enjoy a show like 99 is pretending it happens in an alternate universe.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Will anyone ever make a TV series that actually depicts the actual police and how shitty it is?
Seriously, the only way I can enjoy a show like 99 is pretending it happens in an alternate universe.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. My wife is currently watching Holmes on Prime, and after these protests started I am just looking at the police in the show with a totally different lense. Than I think back of all the shows and movies I watched where the cops were the made to be all star heroes, and I simply don't think that kind of portrayal will be there going forward. Kinda like how in the past cigarettes were everywhere in media, but not so much anymore.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
This is horrifying but not surprising . I hope all mainstream media picks this up.
It's frustrating how I really don't see this happening, the media is full of platitudes about good cops and those kinds of uncritical lies that don't offend the fragile minds of the public or themselves. They'll point out a few blatant bad apples along a disclaimer about how most of the other cops are great people who go through a lot. They're sadly incapable of truly addressing what systemic issues mean and how they are so strongly embedded into the police force.

There are some good actors that try to get the message out but they just aren't enough when every other anchor and commentator is more concerned about stepping on any toes.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
People always think it's wild that the NYPD and LAPD and CPD are among some of the most racist, violent, and lawbreaking thugs in the country, but it honestly makes sense. Their entire reason of being is to protect capital and ensure that black people and the working class stay in their stations. Been the modus operandi since they began in the 19th century.

NYC, LA, and Chicago are segregated occupied territories.
It's really disheartening when you grow up and realize that all the times that you joked about living on the wrong side of the tracks, that you really were living in the bad side of the tracks. That the police there were move violent. More aggressive. More prevalent.

Once I moved out of LA, I saw police less. I live in the Bay Area, but on the peninsula side. Police aren't as prevalent here, the black population isn't prevalent here. Obviously, the police are more seen on the East Bay, around Oakland.

I wanted to create a thread with a simple heading: "Are there black people in your neighborhood?"

If you don't see black people, you know the system has fucking won, and that you're next. #thatonlylatino

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
User Banned (2 months): advocating violence
As much as it pains me to say/believe it, these protests must keep going, they must escalate. And with escalation it means violence, death, and martyrdom. I don't foresee another environment as primed as this to potentially abolish the police system Americans have been grappling with since the aftermath of the Civil War near a century ago, nevermind slavery before that dated to its founding.

Americans need to decide as a collective, beyond black minorities, how much they are willing to lay down to the point of their potential deaths in securing the abolishment of government-funded domestic terrorism or if they'll yet deal with it for multiple future generations to come.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
As much as it pains me to say/believe it, these protests must keep going, they must escalate. And with escalation it means violence, death, and martyrdom. I don't foresee another environment as primed as this to potentially abolish the police system Americans have been grappling with since the aftermath of the Civil War near a century ago, nevermind slavery before that dated to its founding.

Americans need to decide as a collective, beyond black minorities, how much they are willing to lay down to the point of their potential deaths in securing the abolishment of government-funded domestic terrorism or if they'll yet deal with it for multiple future generations to come.

That and EVERYONE needs to keep sharing the videos and photos of racist cops. Keep tweeting and retweeting so that their faces will be burned in the history books for the scumbags they are.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

www.cbsnews.com

Police chief says he doesn't "believe racism plays a role" in NYPD, as protesters fill streets

A deputy chief described the protests as a "mob mentality" and said, "We don't like people walking in the middle of the street."
"What role does racism play in these outcomes where you have black men dying at a greater rate than other populations at the hands of police?" Dokoupil asked Monahan.
"I don't believe racism plays a role in New York. I can only speak for what I've seen in New York City," Monahan said.
"And yet, you've got these outcomes. And if those protesters heard you say that racism doesn't play a role, that's why they're here. That's why they're angry. They don't think you get it," Dokoupil said.
"I would never say that we are a racist police department. Absolutely not. Have incidents happened? Maybe there was a racist incident, something, and that person has been removed from this agency? Absolutely," Monahan said. "We all care about the communities we work in. We care deeply in the minority communities, the cops that work there, each and every day."
Monahan said officers in his department frequently face repercussions for inappropriate actions. He said over 100 cops are fired in New York City every year.

No racism yet 100
Cops fired every year for inappropriate actions (aka getting caught)

Is that supposed to be a small number to him? What a idiot.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
NYPD didn't exactly have a sterling reputation before this. They are really showing their asses in the midst of all this.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

www.cbsnews.com

Surejan.gif

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah, that's your problem, NYPD. The appropriate response to this is a write up, suspension, or dismissal... not "we don't say that in public".

Oct 25, 2017
TheShieldTitle.JPG

Oct 26, 2017
When police use supposedly 'non-lethal' weapons against peaceful protesters, they should have the right to return fire with live rounds, indiscriminately.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC-ERA: contact your elected officials to push for defunding the NYPD. Here are a phone and email script and key contact info: