• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Edit - Check threadmarks for more info on the towed cars. The cars were relocated and not impounded.

Link.

And then, the funeral service began, with a speaker set to 11 for everyone on the streets to follow along. At the very least, the speeches delivered—"He was a full-fledged conspiracy theorist. That's okay. Our love for Captain Scholl was unconditional," said one mourner.

When reached by phone, an NYPD spokesperson told Hell Gate that "police are allowed to attend funerals," and that in regards to the military-style presence, "when there's high-ranking members of the NYPD present at an event, it's normal."

Fuck the NYPD. Ridiculous waste of money. Fucking pigs are always down to disrespect the communities and to show the people who much the NYPD hates them.

Last edited:

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
If they want to play with their stupid toys without shooting anyone, I say go right ahead.

But WTF at towing people's cars like that? It costs a fucking fortune to get your car out, in my experience. That's shitty as hell.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Sucks, but kind of seems exactly like the dumb tough cop tactics many NYC voters wanted. I am sure the mayor's office will get right on this.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, soldiers are prohibited from policing civilian populations. What exactly is the difference between a soldier and a cop with an assault rifle, body armour and a fucking APC?

Apart from competency and discipline, of course.

They're just a violent, armed gang, and I think this was them displaying and parading their power over the neighbourhood.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Did they think people would protest the funeral? I really can't think of a good reason for them to do this. Of course, the point is probably they don't need a good reason.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This is what they sign up for. Insecure losers who peaked in high school and want to play big bad army man.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Performative macho posturing from the most emotionally insecure of all of America's civic professions. What a shock.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Even ignoring for a second America's largest mercenary army trotting out all of it's hardware to intimidate the sheep, all of this for a funeral for a guy who just died of old age? Even I'll give the police a little leeway with parades for line of duty deaths, but this guy was retired and passed away? And he gets the state funeral treatment.

It actually really sucks that our heavily armed paramilitary policy force is getting so brazen in their displays of power. Meanwhile the smartest folks in media are no doubt getting very worked up over an Oberlin professor who is being "cancelled" for suggesting women are too emotional for advanced mathematics.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Yeah, they love bringing out their toys. They tried arresting and fucking up a BLM protestor in 2020 in his home(with no warrant, lol) and as opposed to just breaking down the door and beating him up as the usual NYPD procedure ("He fell down the stairs, says the report") idiots pulled the same shit.

Problem is they did it in Hells Kitchen which is now a pretty affluent neighborhood right next to Times Square. Neighbors freaked out thinking it was a major terrorist ring and they got caught breaking the law because of their undying urge to use their toys.

gothamist.com

Black Activist Targeted In Military-Style NYPD Siege Files Federal Lawsuit

"The extraordinary show of force used against Mr. Ingram shows that the siege was retaliation — plain and simple.”

www.nytimes.com

How the N.Y.P.D. Is Using Post-9/11 Tools on Everyday New Yorkers (Published 2021)

Two decades after the attack on New York City, the Police Department is using counterterrorism tools and tactics to combat routine street crime.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
Did they think people would protest the funeral? I really can't think of a good reason for them to do this. Of course, the point is probably they don't need a good reason.

They thought the Riddler was gonna attack.

Well at least people don't have to pay to get their car, they just have to wander 8-10 blocks in any of four directions to find it. Easy! /s

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Turning a police funeral into a huge show of force is so weird and dystopian, but also nothing new. Towing everyone's car in the vicinity just seems like a dick move.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Probably, the person was apparently a conspiracy theorist nutjob so I'm sure they thought someone was going to try something on the day of his funeral.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Wasting money on this shit..
School budget in NY $1.1billion
Police $11.1b
We live in a fucked up world..
School budget was cut by almost $1b, while police budget went up...he's taking almost $400m from school and giving it to the cops...

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I wonder how much crime took place while the entire NYPD cops, tactical officers, dogs, horses, armored vehicles and helicopters attended this funeral.

Towing the cars is absurd but I'm almost surprised they didn't also demolish every building in a six-block radius for the funeral.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
VfyHsz6.jpg

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
They needed the guns and armored vehicles. There could be dangerous doors and school children.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Chicago did something like that (with towing cars and relocating them), because they forgot to put up signs that there would be construction the next day. I had to miss work while I walked in concentric circles around the north side trying to find my car. We called the city a few times, but they didn't get info about where cars were until the late afternoon/early evening. My car ended up like 3 miles away.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Yeah that's pretty standard for NYPD. The pretty much just do whatever they want. I've seen them do this on other occasions. Those fucking goons are the only thing I don't miss about that city.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Wasting money on this shit..
School budget in NY $1.1billion
Police $11.1b
We live in a fucked up world..
School budget was cut by almost $1b, while police budget went up...he's taking almost $400m from school and giving it to the cops...

NYC has a $38 billion budget for the 2022-2023 school year.

Funding Our Schools

Learn where the money that funds our schools comes from, and how we decide where it is spent.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
This aggressively reminds me of those days in elementary/middle school where there was an event going on where you got to do opportunity something entirely out of left field that would never be allowed otherwise and so everyone just goes kinda lowkey crazy cuz everyone is like "omg i don't have to do school today"

Ofc then it was a field day where you got to throw water balloons at people or have an extra recess where someone would, at most, be a bit problematic and throw a water balloon too aggressively. Not actually impeding people's lives. That car towing shit is nonsense and there is zero reason for that much of an armed presence at a funeral of all things unless there was a threat of an attack

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Towing people car without notice is Dr Evil levels of fucked up.
I have seen police horse at their funerals but the humvee and the firepower is strange. Prolly cover for a raid thats about to go down.