• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Important lesson here that's being under-amplified:
nymag.com

What It’s Like to Get Doxed for Taking a Bike Ride

Peter Weinberg didn’t even know what “doxing” was before a Twitter mob falsely accused him of assaulting some kids on a bike trail.

Weinberg hadn't seen the viral story about the trail where he regularly biked. He didn't know that, for several days, the video had circulated online as law enforcement crowdsourced help in locating the suspect. Now that he had seen it, he didn't think he looked anything like this guy. And he didn't understand why anyone thought he was him.

"You assaulted a little girl and other innocents because of your political beliefs," one Twitter user messaged him. "Hey so are you the piece of shit who assaulted a child in Maryland today on the bicycle trail?" asked another. "Hey you racist bitch….we're coming for you." "You deserve to pay." "Ur going down u disgusting piece of shit." "Nice job assaulting a small child today. You need to be fired from your job immediately." "YOU UGLY RACIST BITCH."
As for the woman who shared his home address: She deleted it and posted an apology, writing that in all of her eagerness to see justice served, she was swept up in the mob that so gleefully shared misinformation, depriving someone of their own right to justice. Her correction was shared by fewer than a dozen people.

Fail to retweet correction if old.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Internet detectiving should be banned. It will always cause harm.

Dec 22, 2017
The fact that people were spreading that shit here was/is disgusting. There were at least two other people "identified" in the thread that were wrong.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The scant number of people who gave a shit about the corrections is pretty telling.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While internet detective shit is obviously bad, it seems like the big failure here was the police stating the wrong date, which was how he got fingered as the suspect in the first place.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
It was based on that initial, false information that Weinberg had become a suspect for the internet mob. To his surprise, the app that he used to record his regular rides from Bethesda into Georgetown via the Capital Crescent Trail shared that information publicly, not just with his network of friends and followers.
This seems like a huge safety concern.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While internet detective shit is obviously bad, it seems like the big failure here was the police stating the wrong date, which was how he got fingered as the suspect in the first place.

I don't think trying to say the mob would have got it right if the date was correct is really the point.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that people were spreading that shit here was/is disgusting. There were at least two other people "identified" in the thread that were wrong.

A lot of people were really trying to stick to one of them as the suspect because that person was a former cop.

It was good to hear that the actual guy was caught and punished but it got real messy up to that point.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think trying to say the mob would have got it right if the date was correct is really the point.

When police issue information about a suspect and ask the public for help identifying them, it's kind of key that you get the date of the incident correct or else nobody will be able to give you usable tips.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
When police issue information about a suspect and ask the public for help identifying them, it's kind of key that you get the date of the incident correct or else nobody will be able to give you usable tips.
I feel like there's a difference between the police saying does anyone know who this person is and the crazy shit and harassment that internet detectives regularly do. A correct date would not stop internet detectives from being huge assholes that get it wrong like 90% of the time.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like there's a difference between the police saying does anyone know who this person is and the crazy shit and harassment that internet detectives regularly do. A correct date would not stop internet detectives from being huge assholes that get it wrong like 90% of the time.

I know what you're saying, and I don't mean to suggest I'm defending doxxing this random dude, merely that the police fucked up big time and the (rather inventive) method the internet detectives used to try and determine who might have biked through the park at that time might have actually produced usable information if the cops had given the correct date.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Very true, but they're not expecting the public to then chase them down if they get incorrect information.

Oct 25, 2017
I know what you're saying, and I don't mean to suggest I'm defending doxxing this random dude, merely that the police fucked up big time and the (rather inventive) method the internet detectives used to try and determine who might have biked through the park at that time might have actually produced usable information if the cops had given the correct date.

The correction was issued way before the internet detectives even knew about the issue to start digging, though--there's less than thirty minutes between the initial "this morning" tweet and the "the assault was YESTERDAY morning, 6/1" followup on 6/2, and from what I can tell the incident didn't even go viral until the 4th.

The far bigger driver of people zeroing in on 6/2 was probably actually the video posted by the people assaulted--for whatever reason, the video says June 2, 2020 in the lower left corner.

Poking around Twitter, people immediately responded to the doxxing of the guy by going 'actually, the cops say it was 6/1', and the response of the Twitter mob is largely "he probably was there 6/1 too and just deleted the upload."

Like, I think there's room for a good discussion around when tweets should have followup corrections and when it's in the public interest to remove them and repost them, but there's no reason to believe the cop tweet is what drove the mob on this guy given the bad date coming from somewhere higher-profile and the relatively quick correction on the part of police. This was just an example of internet detecting at its worst.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
We had people here defending the doxxing even after it was confirmed it wasn't him.