• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
We pay around $15–20 for gas and $75–100 for electric in a 2br. Heating is steam heat so it's not included. Biggest cost is window unit A/C in the summer, electronics, and probably the giant fridge I hate.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I don't pay that much for gas due to having an excellent new boiler. My old one costs almost 300 a month to keep warm in the winter months. Now we usually pay around 100 bucks.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I know we tend to do this a lot in the Discord, but with the end of 2018 and 2019 beginning

What are some things folks would like to see/do in future meet-ups?

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've had shake shack in London, it was terrible. shake shack was a dream, it never was good. let me eat my tears when shake shack existed at Madison Park.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone needs Brooklyn bar hop suggestions, I am happy to give my recommendations.

I was pretty bummed that the Prospect Park fireworks were cancelled yesterday... what did people end up doing? I was in Astoria with a group of friends I was staying with.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
If anyone needs Brooklyn bar hop suggestions, I am happy to give my recommendations.

I was pretty bummed that the Prospect Park fireworks were cancelled yesterday... what did people end up doing? I was in Astoria with a group of friends I was staying with.
They were cancelled?

I saw a bunch were going off towards Grand Army Plaza but could only get a partial view because of all the fog.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
They were cancelled?

I saw a bunch were going off towards Grand Army Plaza but could only get a partial view because of all the fog.

I literally got a notification from the organizers that they were canceled 😰 maybe those were from neighbors?

Screenshot I took that evening:

j2tATV7_d.jpg

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

We have a few places we already hit, but more options are always good.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
I would say Park Slope is my favorite neighborhood to bar hop. My usual route is Sea Witch>Black Horse>Skylark>Owl Farm>Ginger's.

If people are willing to make the commute, I also enjoy drinking in Red Hook. Rocky Sullivan's>Sunny's>Ice House is really fun.

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ive heard good things about a place in billyburg that I think had action in the name. I think it might be an action Bronson pop up so expect long lines

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would say Park Slope is my favorite neighborhood to bar hop. My usual route is Sea Witch>Black Horse>Skylark>Owl Farm>Ginger's.

If people are willing to make the commute, I also enjoy drinking in Red Hook. Rocky Sullivan's>Sunny's>Ice House is really fun.

*Takes down notes*

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!

Well, thanks for destroying years of process on the MTA's part. I vaguely recall the three-year-long plan getting sour faces in public neighborhood meetings when this was originally discussed. This new plan will take eons in comparison. I also can't help but remember how many Manhattanites fought to stop aspects of the L train plan because of their own parking and quality of life issues.

So, remind me who this governor is trying to help?

Oct 25, 2017
Well, thanks for destroying years of process on the MTA's part. I vaguely recall the three-year-long plan getting sour faces in public neighborhood meetings when this was originally discussed. This new plan will take eons in comparison. I also can't help but remember how many Manhattanites fought to stop aspects of the L train plan because of their own parking and quality of life issues.

So, remind me who this governor is trying to help?
I'm almost certain some real estate lobbyist greased his palms.

Oct 25, 2017
Mmmhmm. I'm also sure Andrew just felt the need to swoop in and "save the day" but I'm so tired of him doing this kind of thing. It would be great if he actually supported the MTA.
I honestly don't think he wants to deal with any City ran organization. New York State gets most of it's income from Manhattan, but he has some sort of weird hard on against his bread and butter.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Reading about this "European method" which supposedly makes the shut down unnecessary

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE // 1:30 p.m.] Mary Boyce, the dean of Columbia's engineering school, and Lance Collins, the dean of Cornell's engineering school, have spent the better part of 30 minutes talking about the technical aspects of their recommendations (see slides above), which include using LIDAR and "smart technology" that allow for the constant monitoring of tunnel conditions, allowing workers to identify areas of deterioration before they become problem sites.
"No closure of the service is necessary with this new design," Boyce says. "[The work] can be completed with weekend and night time closures and doing it one tube at a time. This leaves one train always available to do the back and forth."
[UPDATE // 1:44 p.m.] The MTA's acting chair, Fernando Ferrer, tells reporters that on Cuomo's new timeline, repairs are supposed to last 15 to 20 months. Trains will run with "15-20 minute headways on nights and weekends," which Ferrer says is the same as regular night service.
"No L-pocalypse," Ferrer said.
"What this group did is looked at the various needs, scoured the world, and came up with the best ideas across the world and then knit together a program," Cuomo said. "No one has used fiber optic system cables on bench walls to detect motion. I don't even know what that means. No one has ever used fiber glass wrapping on bench walls so you don't have to replace them. This has never been done before

http://gothamist.com/2019/01/03/l_train_shutdown_wait_what.php#photo-2

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
#benchwalls

why the fuck didn't they look into this approach earlier when they initially talked about the work instead of 3 months before it was scheduled to start

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Never ever been to New York but I want to move there so badly. It seems such a cool place to a British boy like me.

Oct 25, 2017
Selfishly I'm kind of glad for this news because it means less people fleeing south and raising rates in the neighborhoods I'd be looking at.

But it's NYC. There's absolutely no way this works as well or as quickly as they're proposing. It feels very much like he's kicking the can down the road for short-term gains of special interests.

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
If it works then that's a huge problem for that part of Brooklyn solved. Fingers crossed I suppose.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Fuhgeddit I just double checked my electric bill. It's actually $43 bucks for last month. It's roughly how much I use a month. I was off by a few dollars in my last post.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
That ain't good

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/09/nyregion/nypd-beating-men-washington-heights.html

Instigators: don't assault police officers. don't fuck with people at subway stations.
Police officers: don't beat the shit out of perps that are already down. just arrest them and be done with it.
My brother told me about this. Cops have a major blood lust and the guys should know better than to attack them. They should have walked away when the cops told them to. That station usually does get its share of sketchy people smoking outside though. Combine that with food cart vendors and a busy sidewalk from the hospital and schools nearby and you have a bad recipe.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
cross-posting from the hip-hop thread:

if anyone wants to hit Yams Day tomorrow (1/18) hit me up. I have an extra ticket that became available

ignore, had the days mixed up

Last edited:

Amirnol

Oct 27, 2017
Hey friends, I received my first ever speeding violation in Westchester County. I've been driving for 15 years, never had a single infraction. I was legitimately speeding, going 64mph in a 45mph area, only for a brief moment to pass a driver that was bobbing all over the road. I was caught in that moment but the cop was not interested in listening to my story. I admit I was wrong to speed, and I would pay a fine without issue, I am just nervous about the ramifications of pleading guilty. Does anyone have any advice?

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
Hey friends, I received my first ever speeding violation in Westchester County. I've been driving for 15 years, never had a single infraction. I was legitimately speeding, going 64mph in a 45mph area, only for a brief moment to pass a driver that was bobbing all over the road. I was caught in that moment but the cop was not interested in listening to my story. I admit I was wrong to speed, and I would pay a fine without issue, I am just nervous about the ramifications of pleading guilty. Does anyone have any advice?

Just pay the ticket.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking a lot about what should replace it. Honestly, if any business should open there, I'm hoping it's a Firehouse Subs. Anything that's not another burger place. There's already a whole bunch in that area including a BurgerFi right across the street.

Yep, people mentioned SHake Shack but nope, don't want one of those there. I'd actually love a Firehouse Subs right there.

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I somehow missed that the NYC 15 minimum wage law went into effect. Anyone with a shitty day job successfully manage to negotiate a higher pay rate or salary due to the change? 🤔

dabbert

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
avenue a
oh joy
jhoan or some other dude can you carry my old pale devil bones across town because fuck the L