• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

do you care about keeping SI?

• Peace, suckers

Votes: 102 82.9%
  • Fine, you can stay

Votes: 21 17.1%

• Total voters

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans Joe Borelli and Steven Matteo are the ones behind the latest push to separate Staten Island, telling reporters that it's past time for the "forgotten borough" to strike out on its own. "If the city wants to continue going in a radical progressive direction, please just leave us behind!" Borelli told The Post. "The city is fighting a war on the cars we need to drive and loathe police officers — many [of whom] live here. Why wouldn't Staten Island want to secede?"
"The city is 8.5 million people, we have a population the size of Austria, we have a budget the size of Ireland, we have more police officers in uniform then there are people in the entire Royal Navy…all of this stuff is governed by one human," Borelli said. Staten Island has less than half a million residents, the smallest population among the five boroughs. "That is atypical in the United States of America."
from here

NYC residents, how much would your life be affected if SI seceded?

Last edited:

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
I'd like to see Vinny from Vinesauce react to this – he's arguably the most famous Twitch streamer from Staten Island

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
As long as it doesn't make it too harder for The Tenderloins to film Impractical Jokers I say let them secede.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
As someone from Brooklyn, let them go. I honestly wouldn't care, as long as the prices to use the Verrazano Bridge aren't changed.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
I get the problem with thinking they're forgotten and out of step politically, but bringing up all the cops living there is odd. I guess they all want to carry on working in NYC.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring the reality that they aren't ever seceding because lol the mess that would cause to those residents specifically, I'm against it as I enjoy making fun of Staten Island a lot. They just make it so easy. Also my time as a CUNY student, the campus on Staten Island had by far the nicest library I would use a LOT.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
032719shadow1.2e16d0ba.fill-661x496.jpg

michaeltraps

Oct 28, 2017
I spent more than half my life on Staten Island, and the fact that a not-insignificant portion of all people who live there work for City of New York makes this notion all the more hysterical to me.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
They can try. The rest of the city will just laugh.

If they want to be a part of Jersey so bad just ask.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oh, they've finally adopted the "war on cars" line that conservatives in Toronto have been smashing people over the head with for the last 10+ years.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Please just leave us behind!" is pretty much the quintessential Republican motto.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Everything I've ever heard or read about Staten Island makes it sound like it's a really shitty place populated with people who look like this:

V3XsdO6.jpg

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Everything I've ever heard or read about Staten Island makes it sound like it's a really shitty place populated with people who look like this:

V3XsdO6.jpg

I been out there for work and it has a pretty large immigrant population and as a borough might has the same poverty issues the other 4 boroughs have. It's also become more liberal the last few years. As a borough they mostly ignore their poverty..... though to be fair NYC as a whole has a ignored poverty issue. It's a legit weird place and they have hardly any side walk which I think keeps it from being being like the rest of NYC even more than the lack of a subway.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I spent more than half my life on Staten Island, and the fact that a not-insignificant portion of all people who live there work for City of New York makes this notion all the more hysterical to me.

Standard Republican behavior: take the benefits of big cities and federal government while constantly whining and threatening them.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
I feel like NYC would have made more sense from the beginning if Hudson County NJ was part of the city instead of Staten Island. Granted, Hudson would still have to be a part of NJ, just also in the city, like a bi-state municipality. Jersey City honestly felt more NYC than Staten Island sometimes.

But it doesn't really matter, at the end of the day.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
The San Fernando Valley tried this here in Los Angeles a decade or so ago. No one voted for it. Staten Island will remain part of NYC.

And for everyone shitting on Staten Island, please recall that this burrough produced one of, if not the greatest, hip hop acts ever to come out of NYC and they ain't nothin to fuck with.

Oct 25, 2017
I lived on SI for like 12+ years. Staten Island always felt more like NJ than NYC to me. I'm not sure why a tourist would go there apart from taking the ferry for pictures of the statue of liberty.

Last edited: