• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I'd settle for just one good one. Not even one movie a year. Just one, period. If I were WB, I'd focus on accomplishing that before attempting anything else.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
I think 2 (maybe 3 in a big year) is the sweet spot. 6 movies a year is too much, and that is coming from a big DC fan.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
WB, what the hell are you doing

Just make one good universe for starters, jesus christ

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something tells me that all the studios that didn't get to release any big movies because of the pandemic are going to be making up for lost time within the next ten years by utterly exhausting themselves - and us - with as many nine figure budget blockbuster movies as they can conceivably fit into each year.

😅

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds bad at first but after thinking about, I don't think every superhero universe needs to be like the MCU and I think DC having multiple takes on characters at the same time could work (we've already seen it with the Joker and then there was the crossover stuff with DCTV and DCEU). The issue is more so the quality of their movies than anything else.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
WB wants to improve. That much is obvious. I just hope they put out good stuff. I'm ready for the multiverse.

Feels like this is another reactionary move by WB due to all those MCU project hitting D+.
They talked about this during DC fandome this summer. Hamada was in that too. I made a thread about it

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you know it didn't find an audience in streaming.
Nielsen streaming ratings and renting trending pages, imperfect tools but it's what we got. iirc Birds of Prey went soon to be behind Bad Boys for Life, Sonic the Hedgehog, and more. Similarly as its BO, a small impact.

Like I said, they need to rethink their strategy: No R rating.for this particular character maybe, changing director or lead, assemble with more similar characters, etc. Some changes that attracts audiences. Streaming doesn't mean they want their most popular female character (Harley Quinn) to be in a niche film, they want her to be like the Joker.

As much as I liked WW84, it's understandable if they make changes going forward to garner positive reception from worldwide spectators.

Having said that, an HBO Max series based on the film Birds of Prey could be possible and a cool route to take these already established characters.

Mar 3, 2019
I like going to the cinema but the amount of movies I'm willing to go see in the theatres decreases every year. No matter how many subjective criticisms you have against consuming movies on alternative platforms like streaming, still that's where things seem to be going. It reminds me a lot of how TV died slowly over the years, it's time to just accept reality. The smart studios will get ahead of the curve.

it's not dying, it's just literally not safe to go right now thanks to a pandemic. Once that's over you'll see people go right back to full theaters

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
wait, did I miss something? What two different Batman sagas and actors will be going on at the same time?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
It's going to suck if we are going to have multiple alternate earth Batman projects that are grim and gritty. Give us something closer to the animated series at least.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I think most of us on this forum could follow along with multiverse story lines and different interpretations of the characters but I don't know how that plays out with regular movie goers.

This seems like just more of the failing strategy that DC has followed with their movies. I'm all for more DC movies but they have been playing catch up with marvel for 15 years and this seems really desperate. It doesn't matter if marvel releases 6 movies a year cause the stewardship of those characters has been light years ahead of DC. Flooding the market with batmans isn't a cohesive plan.

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Batman makes bank. This is no surprise at all, and will likely work in the short term before fan burnout. Sound familiar?

Star Wars.

This is a good strategy if you need to hit your revenue targets over the next 2-3 years. Same, reliable, and short term in nature.