• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
www.nytimes.com

Podcasts About Marvel’s ‘X-Men’ Resonate With L.G.B.T.Q. Fans (Published 2022)

A community of “X-Men” fans — notably young, self-identified queer people of color — is growing around podcasts and on social platforms including Twitter, TikTok and Discord.

View: https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1552360726303481859?s=21&t=H61yBKvIRWqbp9UfzrXFSQ

View: https://twitter.com/dreamoforgonon/status/1552317024663023616?s=21&t=H61yBKvIRWqbp9UfzrXFSQ

"Cerebro" is an upstart garnering attention among the scores of podcasts covering comics culture. "X-Men" devotees in particular are already primed by the inherently political nature of the comic series, whose mutants are seen as an allegory for marginalized groups in America, symbolism the Marvel creator Stan Leewelcomed. And the fans are hungry for what "Cerebro" and other podcasts like it have to say.

That the X-Men are currently enjoying an editorial renaissance helps. The new status quo, as established by a mini-series in 2019, has the mutants settling on the fictional island of Krakoa and forming an independent nation. It has been called a golden age for the franchise.
A community of "X-Men" fans — notably young, self-identified queer people of color — is growing around podcasts and on social platforms including Twitter, TikTok and Discord. Mr. Goldsmith, 34, came to podcasting after prodding from a friend, hoping that it would make him feel less stir-crazy during the pandemic lockdowns. Now, "Cerebro" gets downloaded roughly 20,000 times a week, with "big jumps" in listeners over the past year, Mr. Goldsmith said. "Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men," a longtime hit in the category, launched in 2014 and is similarly popular.

One of my favorite comic book podcasts caught the attention of The New York Times, as it should, since Cerebro is amazing. What a time to be an X-Men fan.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
That's nice! Jay and Miles are amazing, glad they were mentioned. I'll download some episodes of Cerebro and check it out.

Edit: well shit, they have an episode about Mojo, featuring Ann Nocenti. That sounds incredible

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Do they have gay X-Men? Or is this about the subtext?
Iceman, as a matter of fact they had 2 gay Iceman at the same time once.
Rachel Grey just came out
Rictor
Shatterstar

There more but I just off the top of my head

Edit: fuck I can't believe i forgot about northstar

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
??? There are a number of openly gay Xmen. The biggest (granted I'm not even super into comics), but Bobby Drake (Iceman)
It was a genuine question, not a snarky one. I like the movies but I don't know much about the comics at all, so I was curious.
Rictor
Shatterstar

Damn okay seems like there's a lot of gay Xmen. Give them all films please! Why was there two of the same one?

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Rictor
Shatterstar

I just saw Betsy and Rachel kissing and I was like wow I need to catch up with my X-Men comics now.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Rictor
Shatterstar

Rachel came out?! Fucking finally. Been getting those vibes from her since Excalibur. Happy about this.

I don't blame her that quick flirtation with Nightcrawler a few years ago. He's pretty.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cerebro is amazing! I've gotten into it over the summer.
Plenty, pleeenty of gay mutants between Bobby drake. Emma frost brother. Mystique and destiny, and the podcast talks about all characters and also gets into plenty of the "subtext" which you can barely call some of these moment subtext at times lol.

Here is a fun clip from the show. There is plenty!

View: https://twitter.com/cerebrocast/status/1520461141192830976?s=21&t=LBO9avA-1VTTRRO5UapKCQ

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
What's really amazing is seeing Comicsgaters and right wingers attempt to say that the X-Men aren't political.

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Which is why I say the characters and themes of whatever MCU X-Men are should go hard at these demographics and their social issues. Also why I think they should change the name to something that better represents all these characters and what they represent.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
What the fuck?!

Whaaaat the fuck?!!! I swear to god I keep saying it in every X-Men thread, but I need get back to reading this series. Fuck it. Cancelling all of my plans today. Is there a handy reading order list available that begins from the start of Krakoa to the recent stuff?
I know right? X-Men is glorious now, Hickman and company truly revitalized the series in ways that I didn't even thought it was possible anymore.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

Iceman
Kitty Pryde is Bi
Shatterstar
Rictor
Rachel Summers
Betsy Braddock (formerly known as Psylocke, current Captain Britain) is Bi
Daken (wolverine's son) is Bi
Mystique
Destiny

that's off the top of my head

What the fuck?!

Whaaaat the fuck?!!! I swear to god I keep saying it in every X-Men thread, but I need get back to reading this series. Fuck it. Cancelling all of my plans today. Is there a handy reading order list available that begins from the start of Krakoa to the recent stuff?

FYmX24TXoAAap0v

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
X-Men has always been among the best superhero comics, ever since the Claremont years. It's not surprising in the least that the outsider perspective of the comic has made it so enduring, especially since it's not afraid to change with the times. The new status quo is certainly working in its favour.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They really could have chosen a better picture than fucking Psylocke.

Anyway, cool.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
It is a wonderful time to be a Queer X-man fan. I should check out this podcast ASAP

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
everyone is Nightcrawlersexual
It's known.

Well, tough. The British woman that inhabited the body of an Asian woman is a garbage char. It's frankly embarassing that the char has any kind of cultural cache whatsoever.
It's incredibly convoluted and yes, very very problematic. But it made for some great character development. Kwannon as Psylocke is the coolest the character has ever been, and Elizabeth as Captain Britain was just so wild and unexpected and at same time just felt right. I love them both.