• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
When she reported the incident to Bill Velazquez, a manager on the Latino outreach team, he told her, "I bet you would have liked it if he were younger," according to her account and another woman who witnessed the exchange. Then he laughed.

Accounts like Ms. Di Lauro's — describing episodes of sexual harassment and demeaning treatment as well as pay disparity in Mr. Sanders's 2016 campaign — have circulated in recent weeks in emails, online comments and private discussions among former supporters. Now, as the Vermont senator tries to build support for a second run at the White House, his perceived failure to address this issue has damaged his progressive bona fides, delegates and nearly a dozen former state and national staff members said in interviews over the last month.

And it has raised questions among them about whether he can adequately fight for the interests of women, who have increasingly defined the Democratic Party in the Trump era, if he runs again for the presidential nomination in 2020.

"I did experience sexual harassment during the campaign, and there was no one who would or could help," said Samantha Davis, the former director of operations in Texas and New York, who also worked on the campaign's advance team. She said that her supervisor marginalized her after she declined an invitation to his hotel room.

Jeff Weaver, Mr. Sanders's 2016 campaign manager and currently a top adviser, said in an email that "anybody who committed harassment on the campaign would not be asked back" and expressed regret for some of the operation's shortcomings.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/02/us/politics/bernie-sanders-campaign-sexism.html

He'd been a Senator for long enough to put systems in place to report sexual harassment. Perhaps telling that "friends of Sanders" rather than the Senator himself were quoted about what the potential campaign will do to address future sexual harassment.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/02/us/politics/bernie-sanders-campaign-sexism.html

He'd been a Senator for long enough to put systems in place to report sexual harassment. Perhaps telling that "friends of Sanders" rather than the Senator himself were quoted about what the potential campaign will do to address future sexual harassment.
It's a little strange at how flat footed Bernie is when he gets into hot water. To me, it suggests a level of hubris that can only be present for someone who feels they're above reproach.

Further context

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a NYT followup on a Politico article that dropped a few days ago regarding a letter to Sanders from campaign staffers from the bottom of the campaign to the top - https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/30/bernie-sanders-campaign-harassment-1077014

More than two dozen women and men who worked on Bernie Sanders' 2016 presidential campaign are seeking a meeting with the senator and his top political advisers to "discuss the issue of sexual violence and harassment on the 2016 campaign, for the purpose of planning to mitigate the issue in the upcoming presidential cycle," according to a copy of letter obtained by POLITICO.

"In recent weeks there has been an ongoing conversation on social media, in texts, and in person, about the untenable and dangerous dynamic that developed during our campaign," they wrote.

Organizers of the effort said they did not intend for the letter to become public, but they confirmed that they sent it to senior Sanders officials on Sunday afternoon.

The full text of the letter is relatively short and worth reading for context. Unfortunately Politico's PDF->Text translator is....not good and I can't copy/paste into the thread.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
User banned (1 week): peddling inflammatory conspiracy theories, thread derailing
Sexual harassment is a problem anywhere, in any campaign. And if there is sexual harassment in a campaign from low tier volunteers to organizers, its up to the managers to deal with it, Sanders campaign is no exception, and so if people concerned want assurances that these types of things won't be tolerated in a campaign, interviewers should ask Sanders himself about issues of people in his campaign staff centers and what he plans to do about them. Further, any people accused of treating women with disrespect should be investigated and dealt with appropriately based on the individual case.

However,

this is the fourth article in less than 2 weeks from NYT trying to head off Sanders in the running with heresay about weak polling, "shedding supporters" and sexism(trying to revive the berniebro myth of his supporters, and then tying it to Sanders personal views on women i guess). while i hear almost crickets from the other candidates in regards to criticism from the media.

It reeks of intentional character assassination and a concerted effort. Especially after the open sexism against women Sanders supporters from Clinton supporters like Gloria steinem and Madeline Albright was never even picked up on.

I hope this post doesn't get me banned for calling out hypocrisy and what i feel is a concerted attempt by the media to slant views in a biased fashion, but it might.

All i can say is that these thoughts are my own, if this is my last post here because i got a MOD or a member mad at it, i want to thank everyone who tolerated my opinionated posts and i'm glad i was able to share them with a forum i respect

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
i guess when your last paragraph is a preemptive goodbye with the preceding ones being victim and media blaming for sexual harassment claims, you knew it was probably safer to just not post

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sexual harassment is a problem anywhere, in any campaign. And if there is sexual harassment in a campaign from low tier volunteers to organizers, its up to the managers to deal with it, Sanders campaign is no exception, and so if people concerned want assurances that these types of things won't be tolerated in a campaign, interviewers should ask Sanders himself about issues of people in his campaign staff centers and what he plans to do about them. Further, any people accused of treating women with disrespect should be investigated and dealt with appropriately based on the individual case.

However,

this is the fourth article in less than 2 weeks from NYT trying to head off Sanders in the running with heresay about weak polling, "shedding supporters" and sexism(trying to revive the berniebro myth of his supporters, and then tying it to Sanders personal views on women i guess). while i hear almost crickets from the other candidates in regards to criticism from the media.

It reeks of intentional character assassination and a concerted effort. Especially after the open sexism against women Sanders supporters from Clinton supporters like Gloria steinem and Madeline Albright was never even picked up on.

I hope this post doesn't get me banned for calling out hypocrisy and what i feel is a concerted attempt by the media to slant views in a biased fashion, but it might.

All i can say is that these thoughts are my own, if this is my last post here because i got a MOD or a member mad at it, i want to thank everyone who tolerated my opinionated posts and i'm glad i was able to share them with a forum i respect

What, can't handle a candidate being vetted? But seriously, this is more substantial than the attack threads I've been seeing against Beto. And I hate having to continually clarify this, but I don't like Beto. Some Sanders supporters are so stuck in their victim complexes that they don't see their own hypocrisy.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

However,

Why do sander's supporters always toss in disclaimers about potentially getting banned? That said, you were alright until the 2nd half of that post. Seems a bit hypocritical given the comments regarding beto as of recent. We'd be better off not hand waving this kind of shit away because it happens to be a guy we like.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

However,

....did you bother to read my post with the context on this?

This is a NYT article that's recounting specific incidents that led to a letter addressed to Senator Sanders regarding sexual harassment within the 2016 Sanders campaign being signed by Sanders 2016 staffers from across all levels of the campaign. That letter was privately delivered to Sanders about a week ago, and Politico reported on it three days ago. The NYT story has evidently been in the works for about a month, and it seems likely that it was conditionally embargoed until after the letter to Sanders was allowed to be delivered privately. Otherwise, the NYT would have probably broken the story themselves.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Bye-bye Bill Velazquez. You won't be missed. "I bet you would have liked it if he were younger." Gross.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

However,

Ah yes, the conspiracy to bring down Bernie Sanders

Must everything be a paranoid plot? Maybe we just have people on our side who are shifty. You ever thought of that?

Oct 29, 2017
Ah yes, the conspiracy to bring down Bernie Sanders

Must everything be a paranoid plot? Maybe we just have people on our side who are shifty. You ever thought of that?

No.

Any and all criticism of vetting of one's favorite candidate is proof of character assassination, or sexism, or racism, or all 3 depending on the circumstances. /s

Seriously, though, I'd rather this shit get talked about and hashed out now rather than letting Trump and the Republicans be the ones to do it first.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017

However,

Goddamn, what a shit post. Instead of dealing with the detailed allegations about the campaign that he ran, you come in here with this?

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's going to be interesting to compare certain people's reactions to this line of news and how it may or may not unfold with their reactions to a specific other story from yesteryear. (Interesting, and depressing.)

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Bye-bye Bill Velazquez. You won't be missed. "I bet you would have liked it if he were younger." Gross.
Some of the anecdotes in this story reminded me of Matt Lauer. Like how demented are these men.

However,

You're obviously not THAT concerned about it given your post is literally "sexual harassment is bad, but..."

iirc there was also a staffer on Hillary's 2016 campaign and a staffer in Kamala Harris' office that were also accused of sexual harassment (the latter of whom was let go, the former I don't remember). I know this because the media reported on it.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the anecdotes in this story reminded me of Matt Lauer. Like how demented are these men.

You're obviously not THAT concerned about it given your post is literally "sexual harassment is bad, but..."

iirc there was also a staffer on Hillary's 2016 campaign and a staffer in Kamala Harris' office that were also accused of sexual harassment (the latter of whom was let go, the former I don't remember). I know this because the media reported on it.
Yeah, and Hillary was rightly blasted for trying to sweep it under the rug.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm seeing Bernie, Beto, and Kamala being torn to shreds the past few weeks (and the less said about Warren's DNA results the better). They are being accurately vetted which is important for the upcoming election.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

However,

Nice a 'sexual harasssment is bad but' conspiracy statement.

Not surprising after your previous behavior.

Oct 27, 2017
....did you bother to read my post with the context on this?

This is a NYT article that's recounting specific incidents that led to a letter addressed to Senator Sanders regarding sexual harassment within the 2016 Sanders campaign being signed by Sanders 2016 staffers from across all levels of the campaign. That letter was privately delivered to Sanders about a week ago, and Politico reported on it three days ago. The NYT story has evidently been in the works for about a month, and it seems likely that it was conditionally embargoed until after the letter to Sanders was allowed to be delivered privately. Otherwise, the NYT would have probably broken the story themselves.
Quoting for emphasis.

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018

However,

uapB9F5.gif

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's weird how people who complain about how the BernieBro is a myth often end up being a great example of the very stereotype they're trying to dispel.

iamgone9828

Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory generalizations that serve to dismiss multiple issues raised by news reports
I hate these blatant articles we've seen lately, I've seen both overtly pro-Bernie articles and shameless attacks on him.

Without accusing any single journalist without proof, this overall climate reeks of Russia sowing division among democrats again in time for the primaries.

OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

However,

It's the season of proper vetting before a Presidential campaign. The media is doing its job to inform before anyone votes.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
sexual harassment is horrible. the people involved in it should be fired and we should have more reporting to determine how high up it went. it's an unfortunately common occurrence in political campaigns.

I hate these blatant articles we've seen lately, I've seen both overtly pro-Bernie articles and shameless attacks on him.

Without accusing any single journalist without proof, this overall climate reeks of Russia sowing division again in time for the primaries.
this is a ridiculous assertion to make without any evidence, especially when levied against a mainstream press outlet.

How is it a counterpunch when this is journalistic reporting by investigative reporters?

Unlike many of the Beto pieces by former Bernie Staffers?

as is this.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It does feel like a bit of a counterpunch to the Beto/AOC sand that got kicked up
Like, this is actual news. If something like this wasn't reported on for any other candidate, hell any other political operative, you'd be yelling "MEDIA BIAS" from the rooftops I'm sure.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017

However,

I think your going to have to provide more than frequency of negative articles to make this claim. Of course its possible given the revolving door between politcians and journalists, but it doesnt contribute to healthy discussion. Your better of acknowledging Bernie should look into these issues and compare it to other campaigns. I mean given who he was and is now up against shouldn't be too hard.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Like, this is actual news. If something like this wasn't reported on for any other candidate, hell any other political operative, you'd be yelling "MEDIA BIAS" from the rooftops I'm sure.

The people crying conspiracy are the some of the same ones that were outraged that Hillary's campaign had some similar issues they didn't deal with when the news broke in a similar fashion.

Hypocrisy at its finest

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

However,

The Bernie fan who will post any half-assed Beto hit piece from extremely unrepeatable sources is claiming a New Yorks Times report on sexual harassment is a conspiracy to bring down Bernie? Hahahaha. This can't be real.

Wanna know where the Bernie Bro stereotype comes from? Gross dismissive posts like this.

I am sure the women who were harassed really appreciate you focusing on what is important, calling it being reported a conspiracy against Bernie.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

However,

8MQXwHQ.gif

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people crying conspiracy are the same ones that were outraged that Hillary's campaign had some similar issues they didn't deal with when the news broke in a similar fashion.

Hypocrisy at its finest
Hillary's issue was actually that the campaign did generally deal with those specific issues well, but she personally intervened to protect a "spiritual advisor" (who later got fired from other gigs for being a creep and who she didnt break off contact with) overruling people below her in the process.

Which is still an issue, but it was of personal judgment and ethics instead of the one here which is more about broader campaign management.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Hillary's issue was actually that the campaign did generally deal with those specific issues well, but she personally intervened to protect a "spiritual advisor" (who later got fired from other gigs for being a creep and who she didnt break off contact with) overruling people below her in the process.

Which is still an issue, but its of personal judgment and ethics instead of broader campaign management.

Yeah hence me saying something similar but I should have said not as widespread.

But still the irony of the reactions here from specific people is palpable.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Without accusing any single journalist without proof, this overall climate reeks of Russia sowing division among democrats again in time for the primaries.

Multiple women accuse Sanders surrogates and campaign staffers of sexual harassment, and your response is that this is a shameless attack on Bernie himself cooked up by the Russians? What the fuck. Bernie isn't even implicated!

Last edited:

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

oh I agree with you, this is real – I'm just saying the D establishment sort of had this card to play at a certain point (it's not a new thing)... and they played it. probably in reaction to the Beto "hit piece" which was actually bullshit.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah hence me saying something similar but I should have said not as widespread.

But still the irony of the reactions here from specific people is palpable.
Is there any evidence showing Clintons campaign was better about this? I would imagine given her History she would do worse on this.

Also I think now is the time(actually decades ago) to encourage all candidates most of all Bernie to get better about this stuff, given I think his policies will be the best for the planet and sweeping this stuff under the rug never ends well.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Multiple accusations and this is just a shameless attack?

jaOumkp.gif

Simon Belmont

Oct 25, 2017
oh I agree with you, this is real – I'm just saying the D establishment sort of had this card to play at a certain point (it's not a new thing)... and they played it. probably in reaction to the Beto "hit piece" which was actually bullshit.

Wut? The article was published because a bunch of Bernie's staffers wrote a letter to him about the harassment.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those staffers are all just centrist shills.
they only worked for Bernie to then later claim sexual harresment in his campaign to bring him down!

Oh god someone in this thread will push that seriously won't they? We already got the report of harassment called fake news planeted by Russia and a conspiracy creates by the Times to bring down Bernie after all.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
i think you should read the post/series of posts again because you appear to have inserted your own implications
Well the poster being replied to seemed to agree with a post that said Hillarys Campaign did well with these issues, i was wondering if there was some evidence of this and what there process was.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Conspiracy theory across multiple posts, derail
You have to give the Clinton camp credit. When they smear their opponents with false narratives, that shit sticks around for years. They started Birtherism against Obama and the BernieBros crap is alive and well lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

However,

200w.gif

The hypocrisy is real.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Are former Sanders campaign and Our Revolution staffers now part of the establishment too? Because those are the people playing this "card"

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

However,

... I think, maybe it's time to take a step back and re-evaluate your positions.

And ask yourself: Am I really a progressive, or have I become a sycophant for Bernie? You can't ignore these allegations and pretend to be a progressive, so really take a step back and think about it.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to give the Clinton camp credit. When they smear their opponents with false narratives, that shit sticks around for years. They started Birtherism against Obama and the BernieBros crap is alive and well lol.
Or maybe just maybe it's not a false report. Dismissing and denying sexual harassment reports ain't a good look

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the poster being replied to seemed to agree with a post that said Hillarys Campaign did well with these issues, i was wondering if there was some evidence of this and what there process was.

this was the opening post

The people crying conspiracy are the some of the same ones that were outraged that Hillary's campaign had some similar issues they didn't deal with when the news broke in a similar fashion.

Hypocrisy at its finest

this was the response, which was agreed with

Which is still an issue, but it was of personal judgment and ethics instead of the one here which is more about broader campaign management.

this was your post

Is there any evidence showing Clintons campaign was better about this? I would imagine given her History she would do worse on this.

Also I think now is the time(actually decades ago) to encourage all candidates most of all Bernie to get better about this stuff, given I think his policies will be the best for the planet and sweeping this stuff under the rug never ends well.

nowhere did anybody claim Hillary's campaign """did better""", you just wanted to beat a particular set of drums