• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
John Jay closed, Brooklyn College sent out an email like "y'all can do classes online", just a matter of time until all CUNY campuses stop fucking around and close for a bit.

Super stupid that companies are also hemming and hawing about working from home if they have the capability. That said...I gotta say, the subways not being overcrowded isn't so bad!

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
School of Visual Arts announced a complete closure for this current week. All following weeks will be online classes until further notice.
Damn. How will that even work for some of the classes like sculpture? Or model heavy visual classes? Not that they have any choice. That's a lot of tuition to pay to end up getting subpar courses.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
So we have a trip to NY on March 25th to April 3rd. My girlfriend is really tempted to cancel. We have several non-refundable items (hotel nights, play tickets to Dear Evan Hansen, Eleven Madison Park reservations, etc - all pretty expensive items). What's driving it is my girlfriend has a performance at Carnegie Hall - I got front row so hopefully reducing exposure. I personally think we're just at risk staying in Vancouver being active doing things as doing things in NY.

We're flying business class with sleeping pods to NY so that limits our exposure too. And have n95 masks / hand sanitizers to avoid touching face.

Any NYers thoughts?

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
John Jay closed, Brooklyn College sent out an email like "y'all can do classes online", just a matter of time until all CUNY campuses stop fucking around and close for a bit.

Super stupid that companies are also hemming and hawing about working from home if they have the capability. That said...I gotta say, the subways not being overcrowded isn't so bad!

John Jay closed for only one day though. I think Baruch College has also moved to online classes this week.

Queens College is acting like nothing has happened.

So we have a trip to NY on March 25th to April 3rd. My girlfriend is really tempted to cancel. We have several non-refundable items (hotel nights, play tickets to Dear Evan Hansen, Eleven Madison Park reservations, etc - all pretty expensive items). What's driving it is my girlfriend has a performance at Carnegie Hall - I got front row so hopefully reducing exposure. I personally think we're just at risk staying in Vancouver being active doing things as doing things in NY.

We're flying business class with sleeping pods to NY so that limits our exposure too. And have n95 masks / hand sanitizers to avoid touching face.

Any NYers thoughts?

It is a tough call because a lot can change in two weeks.

twitter.com

Ryan Struyk on Twitter

“US coronavirus cases so far in March via @CNN: 3/1 - 89 cases 3/2 - 105 cases 3/3 - 125 cases 3/4 - 159 cases 3/5 - 227 cases 3/6 - 331 cases 3/7 - 444 cases 3/8 - 564 cases 3/9 - 728 cases 3/10 - 1,000 cases”

Have you tried calling those places for a refund because of the corona virus?

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Any NYers thoughts?
I have a trip in September, Vancouver to New York, and am thinking the same thing. It's a ways off so I have some time to see where things shake out, but similar situation in that we have broadway tix purchased, our plane tickets are technically non-refundable because they're cheap seats, etc.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017

Any NYers thoughts?
I'm flying from March 22-28. Staying in PA but planning on visiting Manhattan for a couple of days. Also, going to AEW Dynamite on Newark on the 25th. My wife is getting pretty fucking nervous about it all (she's too gullible and gets her info from paranoid Facebook posts). I'll keep monitoring the situation and if it gets out of control, I'll have to cancel and lose a couple of thousand bucks. 😐

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Any NYers thoughts?
I am not an New Yorker but I am flying to NY for spring break (same period as you) and dropped non refundable money on a hotel. Really can't afford to be throwing away that much, so I'll need to go through with it I think. Not that I don't want to, but it's slowed my planning for sure. I got a few concert/museum tickets but have stopped looking into it for now.

CUNY and SUNY moving to online classes 3/19

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SUNY needs to get on top of this. Big private colleges like Syracuse, Cornell, etc are going all online for the rest of the semester. I teach at a small community college in Upstate NY but we get about 25% of our students from NYC area. We have spring break next week so they will all be going downstate for the week then coming back up here the week after. Seems like a great way to spread it. If they announced that all classes the rest of the semester are going to be online it would give students a chance to clean out their dorms etc before going home. But now there's only 2 days left in the week before they leave so there's almost no time left.

Just announced, all CUNY and SUNY schools shifting to online classes.

All SUNY, CUNY schools shifting to online learning to combat coronavirus
All state university campuses will shut down on March 19 to try to reduce density levels of students who could spread the novel coronavirus among people on and off college grounds.
The remaining weeks of the spring semester for the 64-campus State University of New York will be offered through online course work, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo said Wednesday afternoon.
"That will be a way to reduce density and that's a good thing,'' Cuomo said.
The order will also affect the City University of New York system.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
lol on the 19th, but it does look like it's the state that determines what happens with cuny/suny

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I would hope HS and college kids cancel their debauchery trips for spring break but I anticipate significant numbers of infected.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Took CUNY far too long. Such an embarrassment smfh. Yet most of us are used to how they handle anything. Especially closings or crisis

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

The City University of New York on Twitter

“All CUNY schools will have a five-day instructional recess March 12-18. There will be no physical classes on campus. Students and faculty will be working on getting ready to have classes delivered via distance-learning for the remainder of the Spring semester. (1/4)”

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Just announced, all CUNY and SUNY schools shifting to online classes.

Yep, we were just told. I'm getting all my classes set up for online now. It's not a huge amount of work for me because I already teach those classes in an online-only format, so I just have to move the appropriate learning modules over.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
www.nydailynews.com

NYC St. Patrick’s Day Parade postponed; Cuomo cites coronavirus concerns

The luck of the Irish is on hold. Gov. Cuomo on Wednesday night announced organizers of the St. Patrick’s Day Parade had agreed to postpone the 258-year-old event march out of concerns about …

St Patrick's Day parade cancelled.

About time, considering how other cities have cancelled their parades.
Pittsburgh too.

www.wpxi.com

Pittsburgh cancels St. Patrick’s Day Parade because of coronavirus

Pittsburgh’s St. Patrick's Day Parade has been cancelled because of concerns over the coronavirus, the city announced Wednesday.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking I'm calling out the rest of the week but I wouldn't be surprised if city offices are closed tomo, I mean they really should be.