• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I am really curious as to what happens with 343 going forward if Halo Infinite doesn't come together in time for release

Oct 27, 2017
60fps and split screen on all versions of the game are a huge part of this imo. I agree completely that the base XB1 version should be 30 in SP but 60 for MP.

Omniblack

Jul 10, 2020
Normally I'm all for technical insights, especially into a development environment, but the first 9 minutes was pure speculation that only further colors the discussion in a bad light.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Weird video. Literally no one knows fully. Its just a speculation video.
The video explicitly lists out and discusses each of the subpar aspects of the demo's visual presentation, as well as offers some educated guesses as to why these aspects are in the state that they are in. What about that is weird?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Coming off of Gears 5, Halo Infinite just lacked punch. I would've expected with the hardware leap something truly massive. What we saw looked fine-ish, but compared Microsoft's other exclusives like Gears and Forza, it just looks ugly.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hollywoo Stars and Celebrities: What Do They Know? Do They Know Things?? Let's Find Out!

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, man... fall 2021 would already make it 6 years since their last release. I don't think MS will allow another delay.

The game, frankly, looked like it needed at least another year in the oven, to me. And I just don't know what they can do at this point. If the game comes out and is underwhelming, I worry about the future of 343, the future of Halo, and to some extent, even the future of Xbox.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, Metro looks better and GOT looks awesome.
I don't know what's with this studio.
Ever since they took over Halo they have messed it up in so many ways. So many rookie mistakes it's laughable. Even extra dev time is not helping.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really don't care about graphics, it looks good enough for an openworld game I'm always more interested in gameplay and that part doesn't look like it needs fixing

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
The delay could actually be about them finishing up the SP, removing tons of bugs, making MP stable and balanced.

Reworking of the visuals may not even be a big focus [especially if they don't have time for it].

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry videos are very popular, sometimes they speculate on what a game does, what tech is used. One thing that comes to mind is their look at Dreams (PS4). They got stuff wrong in their speculation, but it was still interesting to see what they thought was going on.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Digital Foundry videos are very popular, sometimes they speculate on what a game does, what tech is used. One thing that comes to mind is their look at Dreams (PS4). They got stuff wrong in their speculation, but it was still interesting to see what they thought was going on.
Speculation Video about dreams? For my Video on dreams I just quoted a tech Design Brief their lead Programmer sent me about how dreams function at launch as the old siggraph presentations were out of date and no longer reflected the way the game did its rendering.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The point he brings up around tech debt is mentioned in numerous GlassDoor developer reviews with 343i, so I'm guessing he's on to something there.

Really interesting video across the board though.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
TECH DEBT

The musings on how the game engine design goals for the Xbox One clash with their new design goals on Series X were notable, if they're true.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I don't think NXG ever claim otherwise. Even the description says he's just expressing his thoughts on the matter, following many requests to do so. I don't see what's "weird" about it.

Besides, who doesn't like to speculate? No harm in it as long as it's presented as such.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The point he brings up around tech debt is mentioned in numerous GlassDoor developer reviews with 343i, so I'm guessing he's on to something there.

Really interesting video across the board though.
It was very interesting that NXG brings up the "tech debt" on account of his observations. Not only that, but today's article from Brad Sams corroborates the over-reliance on contract work and also the disconnect between studio management and the team/progress on the project, that are mentioned in the Glassdoor reviews.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Speculation Video about dreams? For my Video on dreams I just quoted a tech Design Brief their lead Programmer sent me about how dreams function at launch as the old siggraph presentations were out of date and no longer reflected the way the game did its rendering.
No, I doubt it was technical or graphics related. The mouse and keyboard thing I think, it's been a while. I remember that one sticking out as MM already said they used controllers (including Move) to make their levels, especially since they were designing a game engine for players with controllers at the same time.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I found one of theirs to be a bunch of speculation I would post the same thing if it was titled like that. And if I found it weird I would say the same. Just as people do here with all of ours, including my own when it gets posted.
But what does DF have to do with this video? I am now more confused than normal lol. Just cause its tech? Or did they call them out or something?

I didn't say it was bad. You guys need to calm down around this stuff lol. I just said it was weird is all. The title and the content didn't match.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna be such a treat as a CE/Halo 3 campaign diehard. Looks amazing. Can't wait to see "version 2" next year.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
If I found one of theirs to be a bunch of speculation I would post the same thing if it was titled like that. And if I found it weird I would say the same. Just as people do here with all of ours, including my own when it gets posted.
But what does DF have to do with this video? I am now more confused than normal lol. Just cause its tech? Or did they call them out or something?

I didn't say it was bad. You guys need to calm down around this stuff lol. I just said it was weird is all. The title and the content didn't match.
I don't think it's bad either, but that's what I look at them for. Just like the Ex EA dev that react to game videos. The Cherno, he speculate too and get stuff wrong sometimes, miss things as well, but so what? It's interesting.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just finished the video, found it more informative and far more detailed than Digital Foundry's analysis, providing a better and deeper insight into the many reasons why the game looked as disappointing as it did.

Enjoyed seeing the multiple comparisons to other games (inc past Halo titles) for the many different graphical features, materials, use of lighting, probes, effects etc, that have done these things much better with current gen games, some on the Xbox One no less.

It really highlighted exactly how and why Halo Infinite felt or looked so flat beyond lumping it on predominantly a poor choice of lighting conditions, giving specific comparative examples, be that in the lack of dynamism or movement in foliage, the poor draw distances or LOD switches, lack of light sources, the complete lack of/overly short lived illumination from lasers, gunfire, explosions, the static effects, the less successful use of probes, specific lacking elements contributing to guns etc looking less realistic or more plastic, lack of decals in mud or from the Warthog, lack of per object motion blur and so on. Appreciate DF touched on many of these things too, but I felt they were better explored, explained and compared here.

Last edited:

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually surprised by this clip in NXgamer's video. it makes halo 5 look very dated and cartoonish while making Halo Infinite look like a serious upgrade.

k4obxbQ.gif

It's far closer to RDR2 than Halo 5, let alone Halo 4. I think the issue is with the combat sections which are missing some of the post processing effects NX gamer touched on. they look very dull with the new lighting engine and focus on little more realism. And I think ray traced lighting and reflections will enhance the look of those combat encounters, but having the enviornment get lit by explosions and other effects.

I'm not seeing what you are seeing from this gif. Halo 5 is the one that looks better than Infinite from that gif; Infinite looks so bland, static, and lifeless.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the one thing I hope 343i can do is give us that tech demo in playable form. if it means making the game 720p/30fps on the XBO S, then so be it. that shit was cash money. I just don't think that can be done though

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not seeing what you are seeing from this gif. Halo 5 is the one that looks better than Infinite from that gif; Infinite looks so bland, static, and lifeless.

Pretty much none of the terrain in that 5 clip is something you can actively go play on, and the game animates at flip book speeds unless the enemy is right near you. It's not even comparable and why it continues to be stupid when people say 4 and 5 look better than Infinite.

Oct 25, 2017
So if I am understanding all his points correctly, his suggestions here were:
  • Limit old base X1 version to 30fps and put the extra headroom to use, so that their baseline graphical effects are sturdier, and those benefits will scale up to the XSX at 60fps.
  • Animate the environment more, rely less on static billboards. More foliage, more density, more animation. Mentions good examples like Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon Zero Dawn.
  • More light sources. There are barely any point lights or directional lights. Weapon/laser fire is totally flat & dead, no interaction with the world. Mentions Doom Eternal as a good example of how to handle projectile lighting.
  • Better utilize material based lighting to differentiate surfaces from each other. Infinite seems to use old lighting methods and is even missing effects from prior Halo games. Brings up Metro Exodus as good use of materials on base X1.
  • More interaction with the world. For example, the warthog leaving tracks and kicking up more mud or water. In general having more of an impact on the world around the player.
  • Improve per-object motion blur. Use more post processing to add depth to the image.
  • Regardless of graphics, it simply wasn't a good demonstration of the game either. It didn't show off the game well, it was boring.
All in all, he seems to be saying that Infinite on Next Gen doesn't even look as good as many examples he can give from Current Gen. Somehow 343 is years behind when they should be Microsoft's juggernaut on the cutting edge. But he believes if they do all these things, Halo Infinite will look great at launch. And he believes that the majority of this is realistically possible within 1 extra year of dev time.

Nine_Ball

Jun 12, 2020
why it continues to be stupid when people say 4 and 5 look better than Infinite.

Halo Infinite looks nowhere near Halo 5 in terms of graphics, and it's not even a discussion.

Halo Infinite looks bland, flat with sub-par special effects and models. And it's even worse when NX Gamer does a comparison with base Xbox One games like Metro, Modern Warfare's Multiplayer and Doom Eternal...

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Halo Infinite looks nowhere near Halo 5 in terms of graphics, and it's not even a discussion.

Halo Infinite looks bland, flat with sub-par special effects and models. And it's even worse when NX Gamer does a comparison with base Xbox One games like Metro, Modern Warfare's Multiplayer and Doom Eternal...

Halo 5 isn't open world or even close to running a constant 60 FPS either.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
They are committed to Halo: Infinite long term, so I wonder if they'll do what Bungie did with Destiny, and drop last gen support at some point. It's a shame the game is suffering because they want to support a 7 year old system that's been struggling on a technical level since it launched.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Cool video, still need to finish watching it, but I agree about the game looking the way it does because it is essentially an xbox one game. An xbox one game that is open world and has to run at 60 FPS, that by itself explains why the game looks the way it does on a machine thats multiple times more powerful. Look at a game like Gears 5, it looks great on both the xbox one, and xbox one X, the difference in gears is that on xbox one, that game ran at 30 FPS, and 60 FPS on xbox one X. If gears 5 was 60 fps on xbox one, the game would look very different I think.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I do agree that the base Xbox One should be aiming for 30fps this time around. There are just too many compromises to get the game to 60fps that the new hardware can't take advantage of other than ray tracing. Multiplayer could still be 60fps but have that in smaller tight corridors and the Series X can play at 120fps.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I thought in some ways what they showed in July actually did look good - the Master Chief model in particular looked great, as did the PBR on the suit (which is weird, because he's probably the character you'll see the least in the actual campaign, haha).

But once he got out in the world, there were just a lot of things that screamed "this isn't fully cooked yet, why are you showing it?".

I'm just glad they decided on the delay. It's too important for the franchise and platform to be a game remembered only for Craig (as much as I love Craig!). With that launch day pressure now removed, give it the time it needs - because I actually thought the gameplay itself looked nice.

It's just such a weird twist, because graphics were always the thing 343 were good at, but everything else divided the fanbase. Now Halo fans seem to generally agree the gameplay looked good, but the graphics were a letdown.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing that Halo 5 footage near the start of the video reminded me of how disappointed I was in the visuals for that game. Yes, 60 fps is great, but the sacrifices made to get there were a constant distraction for me. Draw distance and LOD were especially poor.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox One version currently targeting 60fps is a pretty massive assumption.

I would say it's more likely than the opposite, given 343's previous comments about Halo 5 being UNABLE to run at a lower framerate, hence the dynamic resolution solution. I need to find that quote again...

But it also certainly looks like a game targetting 60 fps on an Xbox One. And people keep saying it's open world, but 343 is being pretty coy and hinting that it's not exactly a full scale open world game either.

Oct 27, 2017
His points about tech debt are interesting. Tech debt is a constant battle across all software development. There are entire paradigms in project management and development centered around dealing with it effectively. It's a constant battle between saving time by reusing what you've got and dealing with the limitations or spending time to redo/redesign things. The right decision is rarely clear even in smaller projects, let alone AAA video games.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
So if I am understanding all his points correctly, his suggestions here were:
  • Limit old base X1 version to 30fps and put the extra headroom to use, so that their baseline graphical effects are sturdier, and those benefits will scale up to the XSX at 60fps.
  • Animate the environment more, rely less on static billboards. More foliage, more density, more animation. Mentions good examples like Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon Zero Dawn.
  • More light sources. There are barely any point lights or directional lights. Weapon/laser fire is totally flat & dead, no interaction with the world. Mentions Doom Eternal as a good example of how to handle projectile lighting.
  • Better utilize material based lighting to differentiate surfaces from each other. Infinite seems to use old lighting methods and is even missing effects from prior Halo games. Brings up Metro Exodus as good use of materials on base X1.
  • More interaction with the world. For example, the warthog leaving tracks and kicking up more mud or water. In general having more of an impact on the world around the player.
  • Improve per-object motion blur. Use more post processing to add depth to the image.
  • Regardless of graphics, it simply wasn't a good demonstration of the game either. It didn't show off the game well, it was boring.
All in all, he seems to be saying that Infinite on Next Gen doesn't even look as good as many examples he can give from Current Gen. Somehow 343 is years behind when they should be Microsoft's juggernaut on the cutting edge. But he believes if they do all these things, Halo Infinite will look great at launch. And he believes that the majority of this is realistically possible within 1 extra year of dev time.

That seems like a list of pretty obvious stuff that was probably already planned for release.

Some of that stuff, I highly doubt wasn't already going to be in, even if the delay didn't happen.

Last edited:

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
His point about the gunfire not lighting up the environment during combat is a really big deal to me. That's just something we see in every game nowadays, so to not see it in such a big title was baffling.