• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

It only seems like yesterday that I was covering all versions in this Norse tale of conquest and looting. And yet you asked me to look into the latest patch from Ubisoft on the Next Gen consoles, Patch 1.04 adds 2 modes. What do they do and does one break the PS5 version?

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
I have the impression that humanity is dedicating more hours to compare PS5 and SXS versions of AC Valhalla than researching a cure for cancer.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I have the impression that humanity is dedicating more hours to compare PS5 and SXS versions of AC Valhalla than researching a cure for cancer.

They are not. I won't say it is enough, because it is never enough, but the effort humanity and scientists are putting into things like cancer research is enormous versus a few YouTubers and some people on forums.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty happy with the series x version. Dont see much change after the patch. Only less tearing. Wich is good.
I really like that the 60fps is very solid in this game. Last gen we got alot of games wich were "60fps" but then dropped into the 40's alot etc.
This seems a real 60fps mode. Wich i am happy with and was hoping for next gen.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I've been enjoying the ps5 quality mode more than performance. I just don't need much fluidity with AC games - much prefer just talking it slow and enjoying the scenery. I feel like the graphical improvements are pretty significant over performance mode.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
Looks like unlike the PS5, the XSX had to drop a few more resolutions to keep a consistent 60 fps
Well to summarize Alex he did mention in the initial face-off that Series X might have needed to be a little more aggressive with the resolution scaling because of the severity of tearing it's not a big deal really atleast the performance is improved

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Native resolution of 720p reconstructs to 1080p on SS. As someone who is interested in an XSS, that's gonna be an "oof" from me :/
Yet it still looks great like he says in the vid.
Thats why i also say for a long while that we should stop focusing on native resolutions as judge for things. It isnt at all clear anymore.

Brocky120

Banned
Feb 6, 2020
User banned (permanent): Peddling conspiracy theories. Account in junior phase.
There is already a cure for cancer, but they make too much money from selling drugs to give it you, anyhow, both versions look great, not too sure on the Series S though....

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
We are getting a 60fps Assassins game that holds it right to that on consoles, even the budget entry console and people arent happy lol.
This is a great start to this generation.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yet it still looks great like he says in the vid.
Thats why i also say for a long while that we should stop focusing on native resolutions as judge for things. It isnt at all clear anymore.

It was pretty clearly blurry as hell watching that footage on my 4k TV though. I wouldn't be happy with that for the "next gen" system personally.

As for these new modes...The PS5 version seemed completely fine before. And now I'm having to accept more (albeit slight) drops in framerate and more screen tearing...yey?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It was pretty clearly blurry as hell watching that footage on my 4k TV though. I wouldn't be happy with that for the "next gen" system personally.

As for these new modes...The PS5 version seemed completely fine before. And now I'm having to accept more (albeit slight) drops in framerate and more screen tearing...yey?
I mean its not a 4k console.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
I work in cancer research and this is bullshit of course. But anyway...

There's an incredible amount of people entitled to say whatever the fuck they want and run away with it, trying to convince and harassing people for not thinking the same way. And then the same, stupid, ignorant, easily manipulable people go out and vote for your next leader to fuck up every morning of your life.

On topic, I hope they sort all these details that make the experience less attractive. These consoles can do so much more. All 3 of them.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020

Well, the Series S is meant to play next gen games. And it's doing it. And it will be doing it. The system is not meant for you. Move on.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
There's an incredible amount of people entitled to say whatever the fuck they want and run away with it, trying to convince and harassing people for not thinking the same way. And then the same, stupid, ignorant, easily manipulable people go out and vote for your next leader to fuck up every morning of your life.

On topic, I hope they sort all these details that make the experience less attractive. These consoles can do so much more. All 3 of them.
And they all will. They haven't even been out a month. This stuff takes time.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So it seems they're very comparable across the board, both almost a locked 60 with only minor dips, the PS5 version now tearing a bit more than before, but having a slightly higher lowest resolution and slightly better alpha effects compared to the Series X.

Good video but wish he would've covered a more taxing area of the game.

Same.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019

The average framerate is like 59.8. Thats uhhh....pretty exceptional for consoles.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
i gotta say, switching back to 'fidelity' mode after only playing default xsx until this patch is really cringe inducing. is this really 30fps? why has no other 30fps game looked like this for me in the last 20 years? Lol. I feel like I'm going crazy, at least after playing one at 60 and then trying the 'graphics' modes, for valhalla, spiderman, and demons souls, they all feel so oddly choppy in fidelity mode that it's really difficult to believe it's 30fps. also because the background seems to move at a different speed compared to the character animations which feel like they are stop motion. It's kind of a neat effect but I can't go back after trying performance mode, totally worth whatever downgrade they cost. damn. wtf

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
i gotta say, switching back to 'fidelity' mode after only playing default xsx until this patch is really cringe inducing. is this really 30fps? why has no other 30fps game looked like this for me in the last 20 years? Lol. I feel like I'm going crazy, at least after playing one at 60 and then trying the 'graphics' modes, for valhalla, spiderman, and demons souls, they all feel so oddly choppy in fidelity mode that it's really difficult to believe it's 30fps. also because the background seems to move at a different speed compared to the character animations which feel like they are stop motion. It's kind of a neat effect but I can't go back after trying performance mode, totally worth whatever downgrade they cost. damn. wtf
Going to 30 right after 60 is rough. If you stuck with it you would probably get more used to it.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean its not a 4k console.

Neither are most games running on last gen systems but I never saw games as blurry as that. I guess it's just the cost of 60 on a system not really made for it. I personally don't think it's a worthwhile sacrifice though.
I feel like, some people are upset that the series s, isnt the series x

For me It's more that the s requires a not very acceptable sacrifice to IQ when it comes to playing 60fps. I think If its base resolution was 1080 before the upscale magic is applied I think that would be fine but starting out at 720 just....hurts too much to me.

But I realise 60 is the be all and end all of games for some people so I guess they'll be happy

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Neither are most games running on last gen systems but I never saw games as blurry as that. I guess it's just the cost of 60 on a system not really made for it. I personally don't think it's a worthwhile sacrifice though.

For me It's more that the s requires a not very acceptable sacrifice to IQ when it comes to playing 60fps. I think If its base resolution was 1080 before the upscale magic is applied I think that would be fine but starting out at 720 just....hurts too much to me.

But I realise 60 is the be all and end all of games for some people so I guess they'll be happy
Well if series x drops to 1080p at points what do you really expect? They probably just did a quick and dirty res drop on all platforms to hit that 60fps. Even he says it does not look like a 720p game.

Just having that option available is pretty damn cool tho. Last gen , nobody would have expected a new Assassins game to run at 60fps, almost locked. But here we are.

Oct 27, 2017
Truly.

Looks like unlike the PS5, the XSX had to drop a few more resolutions to keep a consistent 60 fps
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This hardly covered the new 30fps/graphics quality modes and focused more on the old and patched PS5/SeriesX/S performance modes. :/

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Going to 30 right after 60 is rough. If you stuck with it you would probably get more used to it.

yeah its the switching back and forth part that makes the difference stand out that much.
by no means consider myself "60fps or bust " person,
but it really takes time to adjust to 30 after coming directly from 60.
had the conflict constantly at miles morales.
where i still stayed to fidelity at the end.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
yeah its the switching back and forth part that makes the difference stand out that much.
by no means consider myself "60fps or bust " person,
but it really takes time to adjust to 30 after coming directly from 60.
had the conflict constantly at miles morales.
where i still stayed to fidelity at the end.
Ill always pick 60 over 30 when the choice is available . Going back to 30 is like, UGHHH but after i play for awhile i get used to it enough that im fine with it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Ill always pick 60 over 30 when the choice is available . Going back to 30 is like, UGHHH but after i play for awhile i get used to it enough that im fine with it.
I'll never forget the threads at the old place when The Last of Us: Remastered came out. People swore up and down that the 30 FPS mode was broken and running in the mid-20s. In reality, people were just jarred when switching between the 60 FPS and 30 FPS modes.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's always jarring momentarily, but in a minute or two your eyes adjust to the point where for me at least, 30fps ends up looking normal. Similarly, if I start in Fidelity mode, it again, looks and runs normal. It's only when you do a quick back and forth that you notice the difference the most, since your eyes immediately acclimatise to the 60fps.