• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Another one saying 4K is a waste of time. Which is interesting for those that want games to focus on other things instead.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
If it's not ready, it's not ready.

If it's not ready that's a problem, console launches in probably just under 4 months against a fierce competitor. They need to come out swinging.

When you look at the first party games released by their competition the past few years compared to what they have released youd expect them to have a decent leg up.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the response - a misunderstanding then and all is well.

You are right, just a lot of users here posting this unfortunately giving that appearance :( - have felt a bit overwhelmed with the (from my perspective) total lack of understanding about the content this past weekend ... also the ever present tagging and negativity read here, on yt, reddit, twitter. Bless you for this perspective.
Many folks enjoy and appreciate your work. We just tend to be a bit more quiet in most threads. I liked your run through on the lighting and look forward to more content.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Forza still impresses me. But the event had not enough gameplay and I talked to a friend today and we came to the conclusion that we don't know what happend to Halo. It's been 5 years and I would've hoped we see better graphics. Obviously sacrifices needs to be made for a 60FPS game, but there are two issues I wondered about. Why is the game running at 60 on base Xbox One? Why not take Gears approach and the second issue Gears 5 simply looked better than Halo Infinite.

Last edited:

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone that never played Halo - was the movement really always that slow paced? Is that the kind of movement that fans like?

After seeing the new Doom games - I'm not sure I would be happy with anything as slow as in the demo. But as I say I know nothing about the Halo games so if that's the style/pace and that's what the fans want then that's good.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
User Banned (3 Days) - Thread Derailment & Antagonizing other members
This dude is obviously biased. Dunno why people pretend he isn't.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that never played Halo - was the movement really always that slow paced? Is that the kind of movement that fans like?

After seeing the new Doom games - I'm not sure I would be happy with anything as slow as in the demo. But as I say I know nothing about the Halo games so if that's the style/pace and that's what the fans want then that's good.

Yes, and that was actually faster than Halo 1-3 because of the grappling hook/sprint, which a large portion of Halo fans hate.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

I'm playing CE, and yes, it's kind of slow paced, I don't know if it's the same on the other games, but I know that they are trying to achieve the same feelings that were in CE, so it makes sense.
I wish that the grappling hook was faster tho, it's an gameplay element that even in a ''slow'' paced game like Infinite it should be fast.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, and that was actually faster than Halo 1-3 because of the grappling hook/sprint, which a large portion of Halo fans hate.
So what was on show the other day is considered almost too fast? Or they just don't like sprint because it means they cannot shoot at the same time (I thin that's the case from the demo footage)?

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
The entire forum has completely imploded following the Xbox showcase - seriously never seen it this bad on the gaming side. FWIW I thought it was very clear what the scope of your video was and it was extremely informative and well-made. People have their own weird agendas about video games.

BTW you guys make me look smart in front of my friends when I parrot your analysis.

I feel when it comes to technical stuff, most people here, including myself, don't know what they are talking about. Our knowledge comes from things we read here or see in Videos. So it always baffles me, when people with almost no knowledge of game development think they know better then people like Alex or developers. But that is not just on this forum, a lot of youtubers and some journalists do the same "why didn't the developer just do this?" talk.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
So what was on show the other day is considered almost too fast? Or they just don't like sprint because it means they cannot shoot at the same time (I thin that's the case from the demo footage)?

They hate sprint because of what it does to the flow multiplayer arena maps and makes vehicles less valuable/special. I don't think too many people care that it's in campaign, but we'll have to see how multiplayer is handled.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably too busy posting in meme threads.

Have DF videos ever started off like this video does? There seems to be a large gap in the professionalism of Digital Foundry's content and NXGamer but maybe that's what they're shooting for.

Holy shit, lighten up. It's just video games dude. I like DF and NX for the reason that they're different and NX isn't exactly a gag reel lol. They're both great at what they do.

E3 season is a time for laughs especially with what's going on in the World. We all need cheered up. Every company gets their time for ridicule.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I like how in detail he goes, I've been waiting on this.

I never noticed the grass disappeared on the edge of the screen before it was out of view. They should have waited for this or showed it at another event letting people know it was super early and not ready to be shown/put on a pedestal.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Honestly ID@XBox is an amazing thing they have. It also will bolster game pass as well going forward. This game looked great as well. One of my fav indie games was fez, I love that these new consoles will lower the barrier to entry and allow for lower budget but highly creative games, same reason why I have no problem with Sony or MS fronting money for exclusivity for a time to fund games like this. We all win because of it.

Sorry I forgot to respond to this:

Fez blew my mind when I saw it for the first time. It was one of the first pixel art aesthetics titles that immediately stood out to me. It is still part of my backlog on PS3/4. And it reminds of Echochrome to this day.

Another indie that caught my eye was The Gunk (ambivalent feelings about the name though):

NXGamer I hope one day you make a omnibus of analysis for a few indie titles. They have come a long way since the days of PS3 in terms visual fidelity and overall scope.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am gonna say that I never said anything of the sort and this forum sucks.
I said this, straight from my script:

How does that mean ray tracing fixes everything? It would not fix any of the issues I mentioned about LOD changes, material/art decisions, transparency issues I mentioned. I do not even say it would fix the issue of lighting completely, rather it may "help alleviate".

Truly, people only hear what they want to hear instead of listening and digesting what is said.

In making my video on this game I thought I would explain something that I thought had the largest effect on the game's visual presentation in the gameplay trailer and how I kept reading people saying "this looks flat". Taking that as an opportunity to make an educational video about the differences between static and dynamic lighting as well as how modern PBR work flows interact with them. But yeah, whatever. This forum...
Well, I appreciate what you have been able to contribute here. I look forward to more of your content.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Another one saying 4K is a waste of time. Which is interesting for those that want games to focus on other things instead.

The added clarity is never a bad thing. But in a situation where it's "reconstruction technique + <4k, good lighting, shadows, and texture" vs "native 4k + poor lighting, shadows, and textures", the answer should be obvious. In some ways, full 4k only manages to highlight those other deficiencies.

Touted though 4k may be right now, given the power of these consoles and the realities of cost that things like RT have, we're going to see a lot of AAA games coming in under native 4k. (And that will be just fine as long as the techniques they use to counter that resolution hit are good.)

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry I forgot to respond to this:

Fez blew my mind when I saw it for the first time. It was one of the first pixel art aesthetics titles that immediately stood out to me. It is still part of my backlog on PS3/4. And it reminds of Echochrome to this day.

Another indie that caught my eye was The Gunk (ambivalent feelings about the name though):

NXGamer I hope one day you make a omnibus of analysis for a few indie titles. They have come a long way since the days of PS3 in terms visual fidelity and overall scope.
Gunk looked great too. Super cool looking platformer def looks like a treat.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The interesting thing about the intro is all he did was overlay Phil talking about Xbox Series X and Halo footage with one quick cut of a older halo game in there. Then after that at around 30 seconds say "at what cost Phil" with the popular Craig meme shown. It reminded me of the Game Awards video for Xbox Series X, with the guy talking about dreams, and power.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I said it before, but MS could had sit on Gears 5 and release it as a launch game for Series X. That game looks impressive already on Xbox One. Would had given Infinite more time in the oven for a 2021 release. Would also have given them a heavy hitter for 2021, which they need as next year is looking rather barren for Xbox first party exclusives.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
This dude is obviously biased. Dunno why people pretend he isn't.

Come on man. Look I love halo, I've just stopped playing 2 hours of halo 5 multiplayer and then watched this video. It was a good analysis and it's a massive dissapointment how poor the slipspace engine performs, even compared to some current gen games. I was happy with what was said - I am really gobsmacked how bad parts of it look and don't scale bar resolution.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I said it before, but MS could had sit on Gears 5 and release it as a launch game for Series X. That game looks impressive already on Xbox One. Would had given Infinite more time in the oven for a 2021 release. Would also have given them a heavy hitter for 2021, which they need as next year is looking rather barren for Xbox first party exclusives.
Maybe it would've given them time to write a proper ending to the campaign too. A Gears at launch would've been awesome.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The discourse here is hugely tiring leading up to the new generation.

Thinly veiled console warring in every thread.

The "next gen memes" thread was pretty much just console wars in 90% of the posts. Hosting a thread like that causes the fanboyism to spill over into other threads.
It's the bad old days of 2013-2014 all over again. Nobody can be positive about one console without pissing off fans of the other console. I wish that 343i had given more of an idea of what Halo: Infinite is so that we have something else to talk about, because the topic of its visuals is completely exhausted and many of the arguments aren't even about Halo itself anymore, but warz instead.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Why do you not enlighten us with evidence for levelling such a bold accusation?
Is bias really that bold of a claim? It's something pretty much everyone is guilty of, myself included. I think his coverage of Xbox games is either limited, or weirdly negative. Thinking back to his commentary on Gears 5 for his 2019 tech roundup which he ended by saying something to the effect of it did nothing to evolve the gameplay and progression, despite the game having non-linear open sections and introducing abilities through Jack that progress over time.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
That's one thing I noticed with Halo, the PBR material's don't seem good at all, there's no metals, everything's has these flat game like materials, there's so many small details lacking like explosions with no lights. It's weird like they have no art director or something.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Thinking back to his commentary on Gears 5 for his 2019 tech roundup which he ended by saying something to the effect of it did nothing to evolve the gameplay and progression, despite the game having non-linear open sections and introducing abilities through Jack that progress over time.
Yep, I don't think he is a fanboy. However he has a slight BS and that's fine imo. But it should be fine for people to comment on that, too.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I am gonna say that I never said anything of the sort and this forum sucks.
I said this, straight from my script:

How does that mean ray tracing fixes everything? It would not fix any of the issues I mentioned about LOD changes, material/art decisions, transparency issues I mentioned. I do not even say it would fix the issue of lighting completely, rather it may "help alleviate".

Truly, people only hear what they want to hear instead of listening and digesting what is said.

In making my video on this game I thought I would explain something that I thought had the largest effect on the game's visual presentation in the gameplay trailer and how I kept reading people saying "this looks flat". Taking that as an opportunity to make an educational video about the differences between static and dynamic lighting as well as how modern PBR work flows interact with them. But yeah, whatever. This forum...

I keep seeing people misinterpret this and apply it to things that have nothing to do with "looking flat." When something looks flat it always refers to the lighting lacking depth, either because of the direction (subjects lit from the front are generally referred to as flat) or because of how diffused the lighting is (for example overcast weather creating very soft shadows). You tackled this head-on and gave an expansive talk about lighting in games which I thought was absolutely excellent and necessary. It's frustrating to then see people saying Halo looks flat because the trees don't sway, because of pop-in, or the art design is too clean when that has absolutely nothing with "looking flat" and what you focused on.

I think a lot of people are angry and disappointed and they're looking for someone to direct this to and you've unfortunately caught some unwarranted flack in the middle of it.

Last edited:

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
That's one thing I noticed with Halo, the PBR material's don't seem good at all, there's no metals, everything's has these flat game like materials, there's so many small details lacking like explosions with no lights. It's weird like they have no art director or something.

They actually have one of the best art directors (IMO), Sparth:

806zmxwrwed51.jpg

I don't know what happened to translating the style in-game, though.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
In making my video on this game I thought I would explain something that I thought had the largest effect on the game's visual presentation in the gameplay trailer and how I kept reading people saying "this looks flat". Taking that as an opportunity to make an educational video about the differences between static and dynamic lighting as well as how modern PBR work flows interact with
You did a great job and your video was enlightening. I know video creators get a lot of flak sometimes, especially in the middle of console wars. But please don't take them to heart. You, the DF crew and NXGamer are doing a good job.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's obvious he said raytracing won't fix it because that's the only missing part of the puzzle that is confirmed to come at a later date. People are wondering why they didn't wait to show it off with the raytracing so it looks complete, and NX is saying it won't help as much as we think it will.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I don't think so, I just think he is honest and doesn't hold back, he's not part of a company so doesn't have to go gentle on the hardware companies.
He already did and imo he has a point. Not saying NXGamer is a fanboy, but he do prefers Playstation. That's obvious and fine, because he tries to be as objective as possible. But sometimes statements like in the Gears video happen, which are factual wrong.
Is bias really that bold of a claim? It's something pretty much everyone is guilty of, myself included. I think his coverage of Xbox games is either limited, or weirdly negative. Thinking back to his commentary on Gears 5 for his 2019 tech roundup which he ended by saying something to the effect of it did nothing to evolve the gameplay and progression, despite the game having non-linear open sections and introducing abilities through Jack that progress over time.