• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
He covered the biggest issue I had with it that Digital foundry didn't. Damn environment looks so static and bad.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
The static grass and trees is annoying after seeing the original 2018 trailer. I didn't even think it looked amazing then but it sure looks a hell of a lot better than it does now.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
He covered the biggest issue I had with it that Digital foundry didn't. Damn environment looks so static and bad.

I have to say the DF one was a little weird...
They talked about that RT will fix almost all problems, that is what i took away from it.

It was weird, because normally DF is highly detailed.

EDIT:
Changed an apparently offensive line in my post. I'm sorry for that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Raytracing can't fix a totally static world, pop in, poor textures etc
And, again, what are we getting from the RT patch?
Some ray traced reflections here and there and maybe shadows? RT GI?
We have no idea

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019
Yeah, Digital Foundry's Video was far superior to this. I understand where people are coming from saying that Ray Tracing won't fix everything, and I agree that he puts too many eggs in that basket, however, he had some excellent technical analysis in that video that NXGamer didn't come close to delivering, such as probe lighting analysis, and the damning comparisons on opacity between Reach and Infinite. Overall, I agree with the the points NX makes more, but DF was far more professional about it. Also, for those saying DF went easy, no, they went over the aggressive LODs (even citing cross gen contributing to this issue), lack of hand, weapon shadowing, and art design limitations on the graphics, but focused on lighting because he felt that was the BIGGEST issue, not the only, issue.

Edit: I do like how NX brought up the static world issue, however.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Yeah, Digital Foundry's Video was far superior to this. I understand where people are coming from saying that Ray Tracing won't fix everything, and I agree that he puts too many eggs in that basket, however, he had some excellent technical analysis in that video that NXGamer didn't come close to delivering, such as probe lighting analysis, and the damning comparisons on opacity between Reach and Infinite. Overall, I agree with the the points NX makes more, but DF was far more professional about it. Also, for those saying DF went easy, no, they went over the aggressive LODs (even citing cross gen contributing to this issue), lack of hand, weapon shadowing, and art design limitations on the graphics, but focused on lighting because he felt that was the BIGGEST issue, not the only, issue.
He says in the video he has various things he wants to talk about but he doesn't want to drag the video just because of Halo Infinite and cover the whole show. He might make separate video covering all the things.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
"RT there, RT here, and it is fine"

I am gonna say that I never said anything of the sort and this forum sucks.
I said this, straight from my script:
I am not sure what the future holds for Halo Infinite given the reaction to this gameplay debut, but Microsoft have an announced Ray Tracing support patch for Halo Infinite after it launches. I am not sure what it entails, but I seriously hope it helps alleviate the indirect lighting issues I highlighted throughout this video to a degree if possible.

How does that mean ray tracing fixes everything? It would not fix any of the issues I mentioned about LOD changes, material/art decisions, transparency issues I mentioned. I do not even say it would fix the issue of lighting completely, rather it may "help alleviate".

Truly, people only hear what they want to hear instead of listening and digesting what is said.

In making my video on this game I thought I would explain something that I thought had the largest effect on the game's visual presentation in the gameplay trailer and how I kept reading people saying "this looks flat". Taking that as an opportunity to make an educational video about the differences between static and dynamic lighting as well as how modern PBR work flows interact with them. But yeah, whatever. This forum...

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
You've basically confirmed that you didn't watch the video. You just don't like that people would describe it as harsh or brutal. He's making honest observations and unfortunately for all of us the truth is a bit ugly. Honestly if you want to gripe about something, while I found it funny, the last 20 seconds of the video was a bit unnecessary and childish.
I can assure you I watched it, I'm telling you what another poster said about it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: since people are misconstruing my statement, I'm removing it

Last edited:

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
all the RT stuff he mentioned felt like callouts to Digital Foundry. not that I disagreed with his overall point, it felt unnecessarily antagonistic to DF and Dictator

If it was it was unprofessional, don't really see the need for it, there is not absolute truth in this analysis and there is space to have different views on it without poking each other.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
In making my video on this game I thought I would explain something that I thought had the largest effect on the game's visual presentation in the gameplay trailer and how I kept reading people saying "this looks flat". Taking that as an opportunity to make an educational video about the differences between static and dynamic lighting as well as how modern PBR work flows interact with them. But yeah, whatever. This forum...
This is exactly how people should've taken your video it was about the largest issue that people saw and it was very in depth on that main concern.

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019
If it was it was unprofessional, don't really see the need for it, there is not absolute truth in this analysis and there is space to have different views on it without poking each other.

Yeah, I'm kinda feeling sour about that whole video atm.

He says in the video he has various things he wants to talk about but he doesn't want to drag the video just because of Halo Infinite and cover the whole show. He might make separate video covering all the things.

I would hope so, because I have enjoyed their previous videos a lot, and considered their PS5 analysis to be on par with a standard DF take, but this one left a poor taste in my mouth.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017

How does that mean ray tracing fixes everything? It would not fix any of the issues I mentioned about LOD changes, material/art decisions, transparency issues I mentioned. I do not even say it would fix the issue of lighting completely, rather it may "help alleviate".

Truly, people only hear what they want to hear instead of listening and digesting what is said.

I've also noticed a widespread failure to understand what your video intended to address - why the lighting looks flat, as opposed to "here are all the reasons why this game looks underwhelming". As a result, you get idiotic posts about DF letting MS off the hook, being misleading or inaccurate, etc.

You made the intention of your video perfectly clear, by the way. And I never felt at any point did you paint RT as a panacea that would fix everything. Also, your explanation of light probes was extremely illuminating (pun intended!).

A lot of people just do not put in the effort to precisely understand something or think critically.

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019

Just ignore them dictator, it's as you said, people will hear what they want from this, those wanting warring will get it somehow, while the rest of us who genuinely enjoy the hobby instead of arguing will continue to enrich their knowledge of games and what powers them.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agree with him.
Looks flat and static and quite frankly unimpressive, even if it's dynamic 4k/60/open world.

It goes way beyond adding RT and boom, all issues are solved.
And in what capacity will RT be implemented?
I reaaaly doubt they'll go for a very expensive RT GI, which would likely make the most difference.

I think Metro is the most computationally expensive Ray Traced game released because it uses RT GI in an open World. I think to max it at 1080p/60fps takes a 2080TI.

Maybe the Velocity Engine can help take some of the usual compute strain?

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020

I really would ignore all the BS on here to be honest. It seems presenting something professional is not the best fit for some people. So they just make shit up.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
all the RT stuff he mentioned felt like callouts to Digital Foundry. not that I disagreed with his overall point, it felt unnecessarily antagonistic to DF and Dictator
I have not even watched the Digital Foundry video, my comment in my video was in regards to 343 saying a post RT patch will be released to run on SX and RTX/NAVIx2 GPU's. No beef, dig or anything at anyone, I even state this in the video did you perhaps miss me talking about that?

EDIT: Yep, here you go, Nediar above noted what I was referring to.

Nonsense.

www.windowscentral.com

Halo Infinite will get a free ray tracing update after launch

Explore a Halo ring with ultra-realistic lighting!

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018

Of course you didn't say "RT here, RT there, and it is fine".
I just presented my personal take away form DF deep dive.
I understood that missing RT is the biggest problem that caused the bad looks of the game.

If my take away is wrong i'm really sorry for that, but i'm just representing my take away, and nothing more.
Maybe i should have listened more, maybe i should get more knowledge about those things.
But i thought it is completely fine to talk about my take away from the DF deep dive.

Also wanna say i really have a huge respect for the work you guys do, even while it seems like i didn't fully understood it this time.

(Of course i will edit my post, because it was in no way meant as you understood it, i'm sorry for that.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
That 2018 Halo reveal was cool man I was hyped for that even if the graphics weren't mind blowing, it just looked aesthetically pleasing and the animals added life to the world. What happened to that I wonder.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure it's worth grabbing one or two user posts and then claiming that the forum sucks. Call out issues, or in this case - lies/misrepresentation - wherever you see them. But claiming that the forum sucks based on a few problematic posts does no one any favors.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
I have not even watched the Digital Foundry video, my comment in my video was in regards to 343 saying a post RT patch will be released to run on SX and RTX/NAVIx2 GPU's. No beef, dig or anything at anyone, I even state this in the video did you perhaps miss me talking about that?

This is just people trying to start wars where there is none.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh. People can view the same footage and come to different conclusions. I think it's a bit of a reach to say NX was specifically calling out Digital Foundry.
it's possible he was commenting MS's statement on the RT. I went over the video a couple of times to make sure I was interpreting that correctly or not. the timing and some of the responses I've seen towards Dictator in various places might have me a bit soured

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure it's worth grabbing one or two user posts and them claiming that the forum sucks. Call out issues, or in this case - lies/misrepresentation - wherever you see them. But claiming that the forum sucks based on a few problematic posts does no one any favors.

this is a much bigger problem than a few users

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure it's worth grabbing one or two user posts and them claiming that the forum sucks. Call out issues, or in this case - lies/misrepresentation - wherever you see them. But claiming that the forum sucks based on a few problematic posts does no one any favors.
this forum can and will suck depending on specific threads . Its not a new issue, its a repeating pattern

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Of course you didn't say "RT here, RT there, and it is fine".
I just presented my personal take away form DF deep dive.
I understood that missing RT is the biggest problem that caused the bad looks of the game.

If my take away is wrong i'm really sorry for that, but i'm just representing my take away, and nothing more.
Maybe i should habe listen more, maybe i should get more knowledge about those things.
But i thought it is completely fine to talk about my take away from the DF deep dive.

Also wanna say i really have a huge respect for the work you guys do, even while it seems like i didn't fully understood it this time.

(Of course i will edit my post, because it was in no way meant as you understood it, i'm sorry for that.
Thanks for the response - a misunderstanding then and all is well.
You are right, just a lot of users here posting this unfortunately giving that appearance :( - have felt a bit overwhelmed with the (from my perspective) total lack of understanding about the content this past weekend ... also the ever present tagging and negativity read here, on yt, reddit, twitter. Bless you for this perspective.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
it's possible he was commenting MS's statement on the RT. I went over the video a couple of times to make sure I was interpreting that correctly or not. the timing and some of the responses I've seen towards Dictator in various places might have me a bit soured
yup you are correct. NX just said exactly this

You are right, just a lot of users here posting this unfortunately giving that appearance :( - have felt a bit overwhelmed with the (from my perspective) total lack of understanding about the content this past weekend ... also the ever present tagging and negativity read here, on yt, reddit, twitter. Bless you for this perspective.
i understand the frustration because I KNOW you spent a shit load of time even making that video. Just know it's definitely appreciated. I understood everything you were speaking if and it makes total sense. It was very objective and presented well. Some people kind of want everyone to shit on things vs objectivity. you treated it well enough and thank you for what you do.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The DF video was mostly about lighting. Some people took away from that, "Well, once that RT patch is in place, all the issues will be fixed." (I mean, hell, some people took away from the video that everything was actually fine, and it was just an issue with the time of day not showing off the graphics). People should not have taken away from that video that lighting was the only issue. It never claimed that even if lighting was the focus.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
They talked about that RT will fix almost all problems, that is what i took away from it.

EDIT:
Changed an apparently offensive line in my post. I'm sorry for that.
This thinly veiled subterfuge is not conducive to critical discussion. You've taken general talking points and boiled them down to an essence they never possessed in the first place. Go and re-watch the video. DF never said ray-tracing was the fix for all of the game's apparent issues, the focus of the video was on the lighting.

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is why this forum is losing some of the most valuable members to people driving agendas while nothing happens, I've made a thread about this as I'm seeing this forum collapsing and it makes me sad since I do love to read all the discussions that are becoming rare these days.

Hope you and the team at DF don't take this forum seriously and continue to make awesome videos.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
I'm not sure it's worth grabbing one or two user posts and then claiming that the forum sucks. Call out issues, or in this case - lies/misrepresentation - wherever you see them. But claiming that the forum sucks based on a few problematic posts does no one any favors.
Have you not followed how users in this forum have treated Dictator in the last few days! They've been accused of being sony fanboys, while at the same chilling for MS for having their video centered arond lighting (which people took as meaning it was the only problem with the game). A user even accused Dictatorof doing everything he could to downplay Sony while proping up MS because he supposedly said that the SSD was not gonna compensate the difference in GPU

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is a much bigger problem than a few users

Potentially. And perhaps it is worth a dedicated thread or a serious discussion with the admin team about DF content on this forum - particularly its use as console war fodder. But posting 'this forum sucks' makes no sense to me. There are plenty of users who watch DF content posted on this forum, and don't comment, bash or use the analysis for purposes outside of 'hey, this is pretty interesting'.

Deleted member 56995

Banned
May 24, 2019
Have you not followed how users in this forum have treated Dictator in the last few days! They've been accused of being sony fanboys, while at the same chilling for MS for having their video centered arond lighting (which people took as meaning it was the only problem with the game). A user even accused Dictatorof doing everything he could to downplay Sony while proping up MS because he supposedly said that the SSD was not gonna compensate the difference in GPU

Yeah, the treatment of Dictator here over the past few days have been pretty poor. It's pretty embarrassing.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Nonsense.

www.windowscentral.com

Halo Infinite will get a free ray tracing update after launch

Explore a Halo ring with ultra-realistic lighting!

Hey man, you simply cannot let a comment, dig or simple disagreement get to you or affect your mind. We need to have people that see things from another Perspective, keep us honest, improve or make us view things with empathy. I assume you, like me, make these videos for that reason and as such we need to accept not everyone will agree, change their mind and may even change ours. The wisest person is the one that listens more than they talk.

I applaud and salute discussion, we should all embrace it and although a small minority cannot articulate any real point of discussion or add much they should not drown out all the positive support and comments the majority give you. In here, your YT views and support it is all positive and without adversity in our lives, how can we enjoy the highs ;-)

All good my man and take my advice, try once, try twice, but the 3rd time just laugh and walk away....in slow motion...with an explosion in the background, always looks cool.

Last edited:

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
More embarrassing is that no action is taken against it.
Probably too busy posting in meme threads.

Have DF videos ever started off like this video does? There seems to be a large gap in the professionalism of Digital Foundry's content and NXGamer but maybe that's what they're shooting for.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's a shame, don't feel bad. You picked up on something you saw and people noticed too and you made an informed video based primarily on that which was great for us. It's much appreciated. I really don't understand how people took it wrongly like you were ignoring things or making excuses, it was honestly bizarre reading the posts here about it from some people but not everyone is like that. Thanks for the informed videos from you and DF 😊

As you said people see what they want to see.

You too NXGamer 😊

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish some of you would down the journalist v journalist rhetoric. It's fucking immature and leads to nothing.

AGN

Alt Account
Banned
May 13, 2020
Straight up, they just don't have gameplay to show. Especially from their newer studios. They're playing catch-up still.

Yep, I would expect most games shown won't be out until 2022. Maybe later for Fable and Avowed. I'm expecting 2021 to be rough year for the whole industry but I expect it to be really rough for Microsoft. Of course, Game Pass will be a huge positive factor in a year with few major releases.

I was absolutely shocked at how bad the environment looked.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Well after watching this narrative definitely fuels the mob, I'm guessing the people who were mad at DF will love this review.
Stop, you are being silly. A little bit of humour (less than 30 seconds of a 23 minute video) is no harm and always helps a discussion and get a point across. My video is no "Mob" video but a constructed discussion piece on not only the issues but possible solutions that I am sure many of the games developers are more than well aware of.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No, I haven't followed it - and that's the point. I watched the DF video, enjoyed it, but didn't post about it. Other people will grab whatever they can, particularly when it comes to platform wars - and that is not a problem exclusive to Era. I don't know what the solution is, but I'd suggest reporting the hell out of said posts. And if it's a significant issue, maybe we need a dedicated thread or discussion with the admin team. As a starting point, it seems like we can at least agree that Dictator shouldn't be tagged constantly. I also noticed the same thing happening to Stinkles early into the Halo reveal situation. Not sure what the point of that behavior is, but maybe something worth discussing.