• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
Alfheim looks absolutely beautiful. Also, what? The vegetation even moves by a swoosh of the axe. It's even mentioned in the Digital Foundry/NXgamer analyses.
It doesn't, not compared to most of the "realistic" realms, seems half baked.

and the sparse vegetation in it doesn't react to you body, go check it again. And its just a tiny detail, in one level with one specific lone plant that you go by. But the devil is in the details, and if the game has any visual award going for it is the huge ammount of AAA polish in unusual/overlooked details, anything somewhat lacking jumps like a sore thumb.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they look like empty levels void of fauna activity

There's actually a lot going on, since you battle all sorts of enemies in there. Maybe play the game and make your very own judgement. ;)

Only on Era would anyone question God of Wars visuals. Fucking hell fire.

This. It's comical.
Even in his video NXgamer said GoW is a very close second (the closest ever), and some people in here not only claim it doesn't look as good as RDR2 in their opinion (which is perfectly fine), nope, they outright claim GoW looks bad. Worse than a PS3 game even. Come on...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon 4 missing is just all kinds of wrong.

Also if we are talking about the most impressive VFX Sea of Thieves water should definitely 100% be on the list.

The list seems slightly biased.

Read the thread, he explains why this is the case. Why do people scream bias every time they don't agree, he's biased to what exactly?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is probably all around the most impressive, but GoW is a veeery close second.

Spider-man looks great too! Havent played FH4 but I'll take everyone's word for it.

Oct 27, 2017
NXgamer forgetting Xbox exists? I'm shocked. RDR2 really was the best choice here. Amazing game that looks astoundingly good. Spider-Man on the Pro may play like a 10 year old game, but it looks and controls beautifully on the Pro and definitely deserves to be there.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
RDR 2 deserves it for sure. I never would have thought that Rockstar would beat all of Sonys top studios in this category but here we are. RDR 2 is the most impressive game graphically this gen, with Horizon Zero dawn as an runner-up.
RDR2 is tremendously overrated considered the number of people and the budget involved.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 should've been #2 on the list.

Agree with RDR2 at #1. By far the best looking game this gen.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good list. I would replace no man's sky with forza, and far cry with on rush. Onrush is 60 fps with some of the best real-time weather and time of day changes ever.

As for rdr vs gow, i think rdr2 is doing so many things at such a high fidelity that its hard to pick any game over it. The draw distance is the best ever. Lighting is the best ever. Foliage and jungles best ever. Environmental detail best ever. Animations best ever. Detroit tops it in character models and gow tops it when it comes to artstyle and setpieces but rdr2 comes very close.

Any other year, Spiderman, Detroit and gow would win best graphics. They are all worthy. Put them up against previous best graphics winners and all three games easily beat out horizon, uncharted 4, the order and driveclub.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Only on Era would anyone question God of Wars visuals. Fucking hell fire.

Wait a few hours and you'll have some users saying how they can replicate the exact same quality 1 : 1 in UE4 :)

RE: List - NXGamer already said he covered games he played for the list so I guess that kinda explains the lack of FH4. But it's still a shame because that game is a BEAUT.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Good list. I would replace no man's sky with forza, and far cry with on rush. Onrush is 60 fps with some of the best real-time weather and time of day changes ever.

As for rdr vs gow, i think rdr2 is doing so many things at such a high fidelity that its hard to pick any game over it. The draw distance is the best ever. Lighting is the best ever. Foliage and jungles best ever. Environmental detail best ever. Animations best ever. Detroit tops it in character models and gow tops it when it comes to artstyle and setpieces but rdr2 comes very close.

Any other year, Spiderman, Detroit and gow would win best graphics. They are all worthy. Put them up against previous best graphics winners and all three games easily beat out horizon, uncharted 4, the order and driveclub.

Uncharted 4 looks far better than God of War. I found it graphically underwhelming compared to my expectations. The Envrionments look blocky and IQ is not very good imo.

Oct 27, 2017
End of the year RDR2 vs. GoW across multiple threads is my Era Unexpected Salt of the Year award winner. Two very different games, it should be no surprise that everyone will inevitably like one over another.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RDR 2 is a beast!!

Seriously after i finished it i checked a lot of open world games on my PS4 again and none of them are anything like it.Especially when talking about draw distance.

Only the two latest AC games and maybe Spiderman have satisfying draw distances but still nothing RDR 2.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Is it surprising? I mean Rockstar is a massive studio and this game had a huge budget as well. Plus it was released on a console with considerably more power. And this is a 'tech' list, not a graphics list.

Also, other than SSM, what other top Sony dev released a game in 2018?
It's surprising because of the scope of the game, huge world with lots of things to interact with and as a result lots of things to potentially go wrong or look bad.

I imagine TLOU Part II will look better but as a technical achievement I can't see anything else matching it this gen.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
GOW looks impressive, especially Kratos, but I don't think its even the best looking PS4 exclusive released this year. That's Detroit. And if we're considering ALL ps4 exclusives then I'd say that both UC4 and LL look better too.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Come on guys really? The environments look blocky and the IQ is not very good? Holy hell.

Yes really. The only thing I will give it is great character models and some good looking interiors. The exteriors are not that good looking.

GOW looks impressive, especially Kratos, but I don't think its even the best looking PS4 exclusive released this year. That's Detroit. And if we're considering ALL ps4 exclusives then I'd say that both UC4 and LL look better too.

This. Chapter 14 in UC4 alone looks better than anything in God of War. UC4 is still jaw dropping. God of War in a fantasy setting could have been so much better at least art direction wise if not in pure tech but I just dont think it looks as good ( tech and art direction ) as UC4. Like look at Libertalia and see how gorgeous it looks and compare it to anything in God of War.

Last edited:

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
I think God of War looks great and has some absolutely stunning moments, but I think compared to Naughty Dog's works from this generation is not as technically cohesive and the shortcuts it takes to achieve that graphical fidelity are not always as well hidden (of course the direction with the camera chosen for the game is probably the main culprit for this). It is no doubt a beautiful game and definitely up there with the most impressive showcases this year (especially taken in consideration the art direction). There is one thing however that for me really stands out in a bad way graphically in God of War, especially since it's an element that's quite prevalent and that is the water. I think the water (specifically the lake of nine) looks absolutely terrible to me. It has this viscous, plasticky quality that sticks out like a sore thumb every time I play it.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I love Odyssey but the engine feels ancient af. The physics are not existent, and the lighting which was breathtaking in Origins was downgraded to ridiculous levels.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
As I say in the video, I can only cover what I have played. Sadly I still do not get many review codes, over half this list I purchased myself, big thanks to all those that did send me review code though.

Forza Horizon does look great, I asked for review code but never got it. I had to pick up other games and due to 3 I was not driven (lol) to pick this up yet.

Fair enough, but I have to say it's still quite perplexing. The game is on Game Pass, and it even has a pretty extensive free demo. NX Gamer is one of the few outlets that specialize in that sort of stuff, and one would assume that all the obvious candidates would be given a fair shake, especially considering the availability of FH4.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
No offense but for me the least kinda invalidates itself if it doesn't include FH4.

I mean, you're a media outlet that focuses solely on the technical aspects of games. The excuse of "oh we didn't get a free code so we didn't bother" is pretty wild to me. I mean, the game came out months ago and is on game pass. Like, what.

On a side note, happy to see I'm not the only one who thinks GoW is a superior looking game than RDR2. Neither of them hold a candle to TLoU2 though (from what we've seen at least).

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
FH4 would probably claim one of the spots if it wasn't for the review code. The #1 is deserved despite disappointing character models.

I don't understand why him not getting a review code would prohibit it from his list. All he had to do was get GamePass and he could have had easy access to it.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough, but I have to say it's still quite perplexing. The game is on Game Pass, and it even has a pretty extensive free demo. NX Gamer is one of the few outlets that specialize in that sort of stuff, and one would assume that all the obvious candidates would be given a fair shake, especially considering the availability of FH4.
I do not agree with valuing a game list like this from a demo, but, I did totally forget about Gamepass having the game which is crazy I know. I am downloading it as we speak.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
No offense but for me the least kinda invalidates itself if it doesn't include FH4.

I mean, you're a media outlet that focuses solely on the technical aspects of games. The excuse of "oh we didn't get a free code so we didn't bother" is pretty wild to me. I mean, the game came out months ago and is on game pass. Like, what.

On a side note, happy to see I'm not the only one who thinks GoW is a superior looking game than RDR2. Neither of them hold a candle to TLoU2 though (from what we've seen at least).

I disagree. A single person can only cover so much in a year, especially one in (full time?) employment.

He didn't get a code so he moved on, it's not that hard to understand.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Do Gow4, GOW4 and UC4 share any similar middleware, do we know? I swear there's instances where certain textures and surfaces in the games look very similar. Almost like they've all been through to same filter in PS.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. A single person can only cover so much in a year, especially one in (full time?) employment.

He didn't get a code so he moved on, it's not that hard to understand.
Eh, then we're talking about the legitimacy of the channel itself. How do you not review one of the most talked about games of the year (critically and especially technically)?

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal

then accept the fact he may very well find the tech/visuals just diminishing returns and iterative and nothing to go by (there are examples of people who disliked FH4 visual shortcomings compared to FH3 offerings) just like Battlefield V.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
then accept the fact he may very well find the tech/visuals just diminishing returns and iterative and nothing to go by (there are examples of people who disliked FH4 visual shortcomings compared to FH3 offerings) just like Battlefield V.
Game content aside I don't know how anyone can think FH4 looks worse than its previous titles.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Top 3 is on point. I think you could swap Detroit and GoW if you wanted simply based on preference, because they're both incredible from a technical standpoint. RDR 2 is nuts though. Just how great it looks and the level of interactivity in such a massive world really is worthy of being #1. I mean even on base PS4, RDR 2 looks stunning and has the best draw distance I've seen in a game.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Yep, racing games clearly don't count in these kind of lists either. Very shortsighted of the channel owner.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, then we're talking about the legitimacy of the channel itself. How do you not review one of the most talked about games of the year (critically and especially technically)?
What?
As Equinamity said above, I work full time and this is something I do on the side. I wanted a review code, asked a few time, was told I could expect one, it never came.

Is FH4 a cracking looking game? Yes, if I had played it would it be on the list? Absolutely.

Does that invalidate this list? No, not at all. This is a personal list, like any best of lists, is subjective and based on what I have actually played. These are all things I mentioned in the video and asked for this feedback, I welcome it as I cannot see everything that is available, review codes do help this greatly.

You may be happy to know I have downloaded the game on my X now to give it a full test drive.

Also, 6 of the games on my list I played and enjoyed on the Xbox. The X sole purpose is to be the best place for Multi-platform, and it certainly is.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Wipeout VR, RDR2, God of War, and Astro Bot for me.

Wipeout VR is an incredible achievement. Not sure how they got it looking so good, and that's considering its an older racing game.

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018
What?
As Equinamity said above, I work full time and this is something I do on the side. I wanted a review code, asked a few time, was told I could expect one, it never came.

Is FH4 a cracking looking game? Yes, if I had played it would it be on the list? Absolutely.

Does that invalidate this list? No, not at all. This is a personal list, like any best of lists, is subjective and based on what I have actually played. These are all things I mentioned in the video and asked for this feedback, I welcome it as I cannot see everything that is available, review codes do help this greatly.

You may be happy to know I have downloaded the game on my X now to give it a full test drive.

Also, 6 of the games on my list I played and enjoyed on the Xbox. The X sole purpose is to be the best place for Multi-platform, and it certainly is.

Don't worry about those comments. You're doing a good job with your channel, even moreso knowing it's not even your full-time job !

If you subscribed to GP, you should also try Sea of Thieves. The game might not be everyone's cup of tea but it looks amazing.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I personally wouldn't have GoW in the top 5 graphically of this year, something about its lighting and shading is off (particularly in interior areas). Still a good looking game with a nice artstyle.

Yep it's closer to SoTR for me. Detroit and rdr2 are the clear winners of this year.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately I haven't played most of these games (yes, I have them though...to do) but I guess it's only right a massive open-world title from a development team with a history like Rockstar North wins the day. It's crazy how different Farcry 5 and Read Dead Redemption II is. Both open-world yet one looks 'designed' and the other looks completely organic.

Also really surprised Forza Horizon 4 didn't make the cut.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
The thing with GoWs visuals that probably hold it back are some crazy inconsistencies with lighting/textures in certain areas.

I haven't played it in awhile so I can't remember the names of the areas specifically, but I do recall that they were distractingly bad.