• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
With all the recent talk over new consoles, a new generation and the constant chatter in Tflops. I thought with my first video of 2020 I would take a deep dive into how hardware cannot be judged on One single element AND how console optimisation actually improves over the paper specs.

A return to my old TechnoBabble videos, I hope second time is to charm, so help me make these a success so I can continue and expand them.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong, TeraFlops only tell one part of the story but I can't imagine the new consoles having the sort of bottlenecks elsewhere that will impact enough to make TeraFlops not be the most useful metric for graphics performance.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Teraflops are not the only metric of a graphics card, but they are a measure of the most used processing power of a graphics card, at least for gaming. Where floating point ops are WAY more important than just about anything else that processor processes.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
He's not wrong, TeraFlops only tell one part of the story but I can't imagine the new consoles having the sort of bottlenecks elsewhere that will impact enough to make TeraFlops not be the most useful metric for graphics performance.
Bingo. People who think that raw numbers is all that matters are crazy. Next gen is going to be so wonderful.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, assuming none of the manufacturers do a big mistake the flops number will be the biggest difference between them

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
No, I don't agree to that actually. They make horrible talking points because it just becomes a pissing match of bigger is better.

Pissing content on forums, sure. But for keynote speakers it's good fodder to go on stage and proclaim how your hardware is stronger than the competitors with sizzle reels and powerpoint slides in the background.

In the world of tech specs bigger is literally better.

Yeah, exactly.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Whenever I see a article like this I wonder if it's Sony Marketing getting ahead of being 'weaker' on TF that Microsoft. (I have no idea if they are or not, its just what my brain thinks).

Im just cynical I guess.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
No, bigger may be faster, but there's so many more factors at play. A bigger number isn't magically going to make a game better. It's about how a developer uses the resources at hand.
Well this seems like we're talking about two different topics here. Tech specs are hard numbers that are quantifiable, and game development is the use of those tech specs to make the thing you want to make.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I really wish there was an article to accompany these videos.
Oh, well. Will check it out at some point.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Teraflops don't indicate the games or experiences you will have with these new consoles.

But until we get more details on that, it's the only thing to hype about and focus on until the next piece of news.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I see a article like this I wonder if it's Sony Marketing getting ahead of being 'weaker' on TF that Microsoft. (I have no idea if they are or not, its just what my brain thinks).

Im just cynical I guess.

Let's not do this.

NX Gamer's loyalties are with the Amiga and the Sega Saturn, none of this next-gen nonsense.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
The fact of the matter is that the different things any application -does- taxes different hardware performance aspects. We have the classic "game logic"=cpu "graphics"=gpu and while it's a decent simplification there's much more to this. A game with tons of huge textures and many texture lookups in the pixel (or vertex) shader will need lots of gpu memory bandwidth. A game with fancy procedural shaders for particle effects or something; flops is what you need.
This is very apparent in the PS3. A game that uses a "traditional" rendering pipeline will not perform well, but a game that effectivly uses the custom processors propely can look almost PS4-gen. Except some factors will always be lacking; for example resolution, since the custom processors doesnt help with that.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
That video seems like a big waste of time comparing apples and oranges. The X1S versions of games were performance profiled to run optimally on the hardware whereas the 750i is basically just a random video card with a random cpu for just about any PC game. It'd make a lot more sense to do apples to apples comparing an AMD and Nvidia card with near identical TF specs on a the same exact PC with the same exact cpu.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That video seems like a big waste of time comparing apples and oranges. The X1S versions of games were performance profiled to run optimally on the hardware whereas the 750i is basically just a random video card with a random cpu for just about any PC game. It'd make a lot more sense to do apples to apples comparing an AMD and Nvidia card with near identical specs on a the same exact PC with the same exact cpu.

Thats the point. To illustrate that optimization as well as gpu shaders tmu...cpu and otherwise in a balanced machine matter more than raw numbers especially of a single aspect of the system. But you didnt watch the video

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Thats the point. To illustrate that optimization, gpu shaders tmu...cpu and otherwise in a balanced machine matter more than raw numbers especially of a single aspect of the system. But you didnt watch the video

So the point is that something that is not TF related can affect performance? That's a non point. Any GPU can be bottlenecked with a low performance CPU. They could run a Win 10 PC with only 2 GB of ram. There are lots of ways to cause problems like that and it basically has no bearing on what the TF of the card is.

And even on a system that has a bottleneck developers can program their games in such a way that they are pushing a GPU for all it's worth making that TF number very relevant.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
seems like tflops aren't very useful unless you're comparing systems that are otherwise basically identical

like these consoles

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Its a good point to raise as well that brings up that pros deficiencies to the x are not just about the tflop count. Ps4 pro is just overly imbalanced in general through tons of bottlenecks that x doesnt have like bandwidth and ram which exacerbate the gap between the two machines.

Something that hopefully wont be the case with ps5. They need enough bw to feed the gpu they choose cause the other elements of the machine will be more straight forward this time

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Great video, they definitely aren't the end all be all but they are still pretty important. In general you want it to be as high as it can be.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
If anything this is the biggest piece of evidence in history that teraflops alone don't mean jack shit:

Screen-Shot-2019-03-19-at-11.28.51-AM-720x450.png

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
No, bigger may be faster, but there's so many more factors at play. A bigger number isn't magically going to make a game better. It's about how a developer uses the resources at hand.

I mean... yea? But it's all about giving developers those resources, hence bigger is better, because developers get more to play with.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Any reasonable person knows it's not the only thing that's important but tflops absolutely matter

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Im just cynical I guess.
Part of me thinks this too.

At this point, I'm over it. I just want the consoles to launch. I am getting more excited about the SSDs tho.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
seems like tflops aren't very useful unless you're comparing systems that are otherwise basically identical

like these consoles

We dont know this yet about either console. After pro sony has to prove that they can make a balanced console instead of dumping double gpu power with 20 percent more bw barely any ram increase and a basically negligible cpu upclock

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
If anything this is the biggest piece of evidence in history that teraflops alone don't mean jack shit:

Screen-Shot-2019-03-19-at-11.28.51-AM-720x450.png

I don't even think Stadia is this powerful at the moment. At least, the settings it runs its games at certainly don't match up with it being that fast.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
If you follow each graphic card from the year dot to now then no, gflops and tflops aren't a lie.

Of course if you invoke PC entry level graphic cards that have been purposely limited to make a whole tier they don't fare well at the bottom end.

Thing is this big tflop thing is not even about PC tiered specs vs console, the brute forcing as he puts it and budgets of console vs PC and bang for buck of consoles, it's console fans comparing two consoles, that would by his logic, be equipped to last.

XBX is the more powerful console than the Pro. If MS wanted to gimp it they could have but they generally don't and tflops with specs in line with it results in a big difference in performance across many titles, hence why tflops are a big talking point.

Last edited:

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
It's all about the GIGARAYS now.

Nvidia has had lower TF numbers compared to AMD cards for a while now but they always outperform them, with better power efficiency too.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good video. if anything, this should inform low end pc users what the best low end gpu they should get if they want to stay on par or ahead of the next gen consoles

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yeah don't care much just want PS5 to be very powerful and have amazing looking games like every gen. But if they costs the same, one shouldn't have a real edge over the other unless someone got our engineered.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It sure as hell did with ps4 vs xbone
That was only because Microsoft decided to sell the Xbox One at $100 more than the PS4 because they had the gall to make the Kinect a required part of the system at launch. If the price differential at launch was like it was today (with the XB1S being $50-100 cheaper than the PS4 Slim), then the power difference between the two would mostly be a non-issue besides forum warriors like ourselves.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Flops are not everything, but he is comparing a PC and a console. When it comes to two consoles with similar architecture, flops are kinda important, as we saw in current generation.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tflops are the best way to compare two different graphics cards based on the same arch.

its just numbers. more is always better. I can buy people excusing tflops when comparing nvidia to amd gpus, or vega tflops to rdna tflops, but if both consoles have rdna gpus and they are being compared against pc rdna gpus then tflops are the best theoretical metric we have before we get the ngame framerate and resolution examples.

its like saying CPU threads and clockspeeds are a lie. or ssd write and read speeds are a lie. they arent. the more you have the more powerful your pc or console will be.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched the video, but if it's "teraflops don't matter" it's plain wrong. It's not the ONLY important metric of course, but it sure as hell matters. Quite a lot, actually.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love NXGamer. "Other people have copied my tech focused videos" 😂

Don't worry mate yours are still the gold standard. Fantastic video spitting truth.

Hope your channel and community continues to grow.