• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually say the animations and even a lot of the transitions are still hugely impressive. The scene from the State of Play showing Ellie constantly dodging the guy with the machete and leaping in between swings to stab and slash before finishing the guy off with his own weapon was really smooth and also looked great from a gameplay standpoint.

Oct 25, 2017
I said this before months ago, but I seriously hope that there will be gameplay during this section. The visuals truly are insane.
yWlZBA1.png

MupBRvb.png

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people believe the final product will offer less contextual animations than a short slice presented to us 2 years ago?

I do agree in regards to the transitions, they are not as smooth. But this could be down to response time over smooth transition, and if so they made right trade.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Can't find shit to nitpick with the visuals so nitpicking at the smoothness of the animation transition is the next best thing even when majority of games don't even come close to this level of smoothness without sacrificing control snappiness (RDR2). Same thing happened to Spiderman, can't nitpick visuals so the puddlegate was born.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can't find shit to nitpick with the visuals so nitpicking at the smoothness of the animation transition is the next best thing even when majority of games don't even come close to this level of smoothness without sacrificing control snappiness (RDR2). Same thing happened to Spiderman, can't nitpick visuals so the puddlegate was born.
How real the animations has been questioned since 2018. I actually remember a lot of posts about how no one should question the naughty gods etc.

It's okay to point out that they're impressive but seemingly not on that amazing level as the 2018 ones

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I said this before months ago, but I seriously hope that there will be gameplay during this section. The visuals truly are insane.
At the end of that cinematic, the party gathers their weapons and gets ready for the fight against the infected. I think we will get control over some of them [most likely woman with the hammer].

Apr 27, 2020
Hope you can play with no HUD and command prompts. I plan on doing that once I get familiar with the commands/controls so it's more immersive.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Thanks! iMovie and Photoshop :)
Thank you :)
Do you use gifyu for hosting?
Well yeah whatever the engine is called.TLOU II is not a generational leap visually over U4 in any regard. It's absolute hyperbole to suggest it is outside of things maybe going on under the hood of the engine. Have you lot seen U4 running on a Pro recently? It's right up there as the best looking games ever made with a diverse selection of environments.

A visual generational leap is Uncharted 3 to Uncharted 4 or TLOU to TLOU II.

Again TLOU II is one of the best looking games ever made, it's just not a generational visual leap over what we already have.
I wasn't arguing in favour of the generational leap comment.
There's actually great eye tracking in the last couple of EA NBA Live games.

They head and eye track where they're passing and eye track players they're defending and the ball as it moves.
oh nice, I want to see this in action. Can you link anything from YouTub?

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Crossing be posting them two gifs in every TLOU2 thread. 😄

Anyway, transitions are definitely not as smooth as the first demo. I wish they were, but they aren't. However, animations overall are top in class, as usual.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see slow motion versions of the 2018 demo animations and the recent footage. It's hard to articulate exactly what's different about the animation but it should be easier to see slowed down, side by side.
It's the little things that break the illusion.

ei4i0Vo.gif

Here you can see Ellie "teleporting" to a blocking animation as the guy pushes her away that's not really following the previous motion. You can also kinda notice how her slashing animation overrides whatever stance she was in, makes her look she charges up twice for the slash somehow.

You don't see anything like this in the 2018 footage.

D0yz921.gif

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldnt be blown away if the car dodge -> slash animation you guys keep calling out _is_ in the game -- it's just that theres no feasible way to get coverage of every situation that well in an action game with responsive player input. The game looks great, but it's never going to look as good as a specific, manufactured slice.

Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

ei4i0Vo.gif

Here you can see Ellie "teleporting" to a blocking animation as the guy pushes her away that's not really following the previous motion. You can also kinda notice how her slashing animation overrides whatever stance she was in, makes her look she charges up twice for the slash somehow.

D0yz921.gif
That's a pretty good example. You can see that the animation itself is the same but the transitions between them aren't. That's also what made the 2018 animations feels so next level because characters dynamically reacting to each other without snapping into poses (or barely noticeable) is something we haven't seen before

Oct 28, 2017
Currently nearing the end of a TLoU replay on PS4 and this definitely feels like a "generational leap" to me, even over the remastered version and undoubtedly over the PS3 version.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

ei4i0Vo.gif

D0yz921.gif

I wonder if those animations in the 2019 demo aren't actual coding and more tweaking the characters in realtime so they can blend the animations seamlessly, for the presentation's sake .

Not sure if I'm explaining myself well.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

ei4i0Vo.gif

D0yz921.gif
This is a perfect demonstration of what "sticks" out in fast motion. Thanks for the effort.

I'm not sure why Naughty Dog keeps doing this. Their animation work is impressive enough not to polish reveal demos like this.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
We are watching the most advanced technology in motion matching and animation ever but people still go and do a 0.2 speed gif just to say that isn't perfect.

This game will re define gaming my friends like it or not.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
It's another testament of ND's level when all they can do is nitpick in order to find something of...The E3 demo was a demonstration of what they want to achieve and they've delivered on every point except as many have pointed out the transitions! But who can blame them, some are pointing out that Ellie is simply hovering over objects when picking them up! This isn't about ND's inability to implement it but imo it's a deliberate decision, I mean could you imagine how tedious it would be to show that animation everytime you pick up an object!
Imo if any animation is missing from the demo it's simply because it would have disrupted the flow of gameplay.

Also it's funny that we're not discussing the improved visuals! This game is def a candidate for the best looking during this gen!

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I wonder if every single cutscene will run real-time. Some of the scenes from the story trailer look too good for real time, imo.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
"gameplay is nothing special"

"it's run of the mill"

"looks average"

"played other games that are like this"

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if those animations in the 2019 demo aren't actual coding and more tweaking the characters in realtime so they can blend the animations seamlessly, for the presentation's sake .

Not sure if I'm explaining myself well.
Who knows how they accomplished it. It is curious that it's basically the same pushing animation in both cases. I guess it's a mix of the real game and trickery. Beyond the animation topic, I'd be interested in knowing how many times it took them to craft and execute a perfectly choreographed run like that.

It's another testament of ND's level when all they can do is nitpick in order to find something of...The E3 demo was a demonstration of what they want to achieve and they've delivered on every point except as many have pointed out the transitions!

But that is what was impressive about their 2018 demo. This is the part that looked like black magic. People were (rightfully) calling it revolutionary and game-changing. And it turns it wasn't, not quite, since we already have games with motion matching, I know For Honor is one. Turns out the skeptics were right. I don't think it's a nitpick to point out it's not at the level they previously demonstrated, and in a technical thread of all places.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

ei4i0Vo.gif

D0yz921.gif

Compare to the E3 version they gave her hair move movement which is nice .
The first gif it's easy to see how player movement and decision can effect the animation even if the weapon different .
Compare to how perfect the the E3 version is .
Going to be interesting to see a perfect play threw animation wise when people know what they doing.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

ei4i0Vo.gif

D0yz921.gif
Man, imagine if they took another swing at Uncharted on PS5. Not that I wouldn't rather have a new IP (or, like, a new Jak and Daxter would be pretty neat) but a new UC would look mind boggling

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
But that is what was impressive about their 2018 demo. This is the part that looked like black magic. People were (rightfully) calling it revolutionary and game-changing. And it turns it wasn't, not quite, since we already have games with motion matching, I know For Honor is one. Turns out the skeptics were right. I don't think it's a nitpick to point out it's not at the level they previously demonstrated, and in a technical thread of all places.
I'd argue about the sceptics being right! Those people were saying the whole thing was fake! We can clearly see that several of the animations are there.
As for motion matching yes other games use it but few developers are as good at it as ND.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Who knows how they accomplished it. It is curious that it's basically the same pushing animation in both cases. I guess it's a mix of the real game and trickery. Beyond the animation topic, I'd be interested in knowing how many times it took them to craft and execute a perfectly choreographed run like that.
My first guess is that, outside of the rehearsed elements like camera turns, where Ellie goes, etc. that there are genuine bits in the demo where the game plays itself. That last 40 seconds of gameplay in particular looks so perfectly executed, and so beyond what should be feasible when it comes to player input, enemy reactions, context sensitive animations, how smoothly gameplay shifts to a cinematic, etc. that if we got a Jason Schreier BTS with anonymous dev interview I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was essentially a cinematic.

And it's simply because of the implication. That all of this is entirely avoidable and not scripted. Like how would a cinematic transition happen anywhere else if not in that exact position of the room?

I'd argue about the sceptics being right! Those people were saying the whole thing was fake!
People didn't call the ENTIRE demo fake. They just noticed that there were bits and pieces that looked way too smooth to be real.

Last edited:

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I'm curious for direct comparison with the 2018 demo and the final game, for sure this setpiece will be in the game, and well, that's where we will really be 1000% sure about it.
I particularly stay on the fence.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
If you're playing slow motion gifs to point out inconsistencies then I'd say ND is achieving a good amount of what they wanted.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Based on those gifs posted by Crossing Eden, I will say ND is pretty close to achieve what they showed in the first reveal gameplay. That's amazing

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Do people actually bleed like that? Like if you stab someone the blood comes streaming out?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My first guess is that, outside of the rehearsed elements like camera turns, where Ellie goes, etc. that there are genuine bits in the demo where the game plays itself. That last 40 seconds of gameplay in particular looks so perfectly executed, and so beyond what should be feasible when it comes to player input, enemy reactions, context sensitive animations, how smoothly gameplay shifts to a cinematic, etc. that if we got a Jason Schreier BTS with anonymous dev interview I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was essentially a cinematic.

And it's simply because of the implication. That all of this is entirely avoidable and not scripted. Like how would a cinematic transition happen anywhere else if not in that exact position of the room?

Yeah, that last part was always particularly questionable as transitioning into a cutscene at a seemingly random spot would have just so many variables going on. Anytime games transition into a cutscene the player position tends to be very much defined, either by sliding into the correct position or by combining it with a context sensitive maneuver, like Ellie climbing out of the water.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely are. But I didn't need slow motion to see it was different.

Aside from a very few moments I didn't much notice the transitions. I mentioned the snippet of Ellie dodging and knifing the one machete wielding guy from the SoP and that was insanely impressive to me, as much as a lot of the stuff shown in the E3 trailer from a few years back. Honestly her lighting a molotov cocktail and not putting it out before climbing a ladder was far more egregious for me.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
This was a good watch, and yeah, didn't understand how people saw a downgrade tbh.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
No spoilers, I think there are even upgrades, ligthing, weather effects, wet surfaces, particles and AO :

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
The updated torture scene is insane, I actually had doubt that they are going to achieve that quality in the reveal but they actually improved it in the final game. I play Metro Exodus with RTX on and it didn't even impress me as much as that Tlou2.