• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
DO IT DO IT DO IT

Still set the PS4 Pro to 720p anyway, just in case. Maybe it does render at a lower resolution, lmao.
Lol I tried the 720p thing back then since there was a legend about that but it was fake XD
I'll try but I doubt it change anything.
BTW yes, it seems that with boost mode is even better, not 60fps but better then 30 all around, at least in the beginning zone!
Again, now we need some analysis on this of course ^^

ShinyCoin

Oct 15, 2020
It sounds like a similar situation to AC unity. I think they capped that games framerate via patch in an attempt to maintain a more consistent performance...which the PS5 can't do anything about.. So not updating the game actually results in better performance...but it sounds like only the UK version of last guardian has an unlocked framerate to begin with for some reason?

My question is. If a developer decided to patch in unlocked framerates into games with capped framerates. Would the base systems and pro get that patch too, resulting in worse performance for them?

Why do developers force a framerate cap in the first place ? Why not have the 2 options and leave it to the player to decide whether they want a stable framerate or not?

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Super excited by this news not that we're starting to get a clear picture of what's happening (just want people to confirm this is regardless of region, which I'm guessing will be the case).

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I sold all of my PS4 physical copy a few weeks back because I'm going all digital with PS5. I sold my copy of TLG. Fuck me.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This actually sucks. 1.0 had issues like a worse camera and some glitches that were addressed in future patches.

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it, ps4 pro, no patch, 720p setting in the dashboard. It is unlocked unstable 60fps, judder-y as fuck but still unlocked. Felt better even about the input lag which was worrysome at 30fps. Shiiiiiiit I love this game so much I'd buy PS5 just for 60fps TLG.
It still runs like shit at 1080p patched in many parts, so I'll take the judder for the higher framerates at less busy moments. I know how I'll be replaying it for the 5th time this christmas!

Thank you for testing.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Why do developers force a framerate cap in the first place ? Why not have the 2 options and leave it to the player to decide?
Probably a mix of quality testing and/or not wanting people to stumble on the uncapped option and think the game is terrible or something

But I agree it would be great if all games had these toggles

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I tried the 720p thing back then since there was a legend about that but it was fake XD
I'll try but I doubt it change anything.
BTW yes, it seems that with boost mode is even better, not 60fps but better then 30 all around, at least in the beginning zone!
Again, now we need some analysis on this of course ^^
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
What an interesting turn of events.

Return to Arkham - Arkham City (physical, unpatched version has an unlocked fps) and now The Last Guardian are the first two games I'll be trying on my PS5. Everyone is now going to be trying every game unpatched lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

The quickest I've ever gone from finding something out to getting a video out... It's the disc version without any patches applied, frame rate was unlocked at launch.

Thanks for the test and confirmation! Updated the title.

Damn NX Gamer, could you have shared this little bit of info in the video. Seems fairly relevant. 😅

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Ideally this blows up and encourages an additional patch to just allow for an unlocked frame rate for all versions, but if not, I'll take an unpatched version with some issues at 60 gladly.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Why do developers force a framerate cap in the first place ? Why not have the 2 options and leave it to the player to decide whether they want a stable framerate or not?
Because people buy a game and expect it to work without fiddling with settings especially back in 2013.
The whole fidelity or performance mode settings is a relatively new paradigm.

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
Tried it, ps4 pro, no patch, 720p setting in the dashboard. It is unlocked unstable 60fps, judder-y as fuck but still unlocked. Felt better even about the input lag which was worrysome at 30fps. Shiiiiiiit I love this game so much I'd buy PS5 just for 60fps TLG.
Tell me you are not from the UK lmao

If every disc version is uncapped at version 1.00, that would be amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Please, devs, take backwards compatibility into consideration from now on, and include an optional uncapped framerate option in every 30fps game. The Last Guardian existed for 4 years in its previous state, but will now exist for as long as Playstation consoles are still around at 60, but without any improvements from patches. This wouldn't be an issue with a framerate cap option.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
One of those games that really suffered with performance, this will greatly improve it

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am surprised UK version 1.0 on PSN is any different. Isn't there a way of getting them on PSN? There was a thread the other day about it.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
They need to patch this to uncap it for those who are stuck with digital. Such a beautiful game.

So incredibly glad I didn't sell my physical copy, love the game and having the steel book meant it was one of the few PS+ collection games that I kept a copy of.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll finally get round to playing it. XD
The game was one of the very few I skipped mainly due to performance, on the PS4 it was abysmal, can't think of any other major titles that ran that poorly, wasn't in a playable state for me that I decided to skip launch and then just forgot about it. Still, did really want to get to it eventually and a 60fps version would be perfect.

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this game day 1 and never played it. It's just sat on my shelf for 4 years, always being pushed aside for something else. Sounds like the time has finally come.

sns97

Visited by Knack
Oct 30, 2017
There was the trick to download PSN games without patch using PSX download helper. Maybe try that.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why do developers force a framerate cap in the first place ? Why not have the 2 options and leave it to the player to decide?

It's usually to maintain a decent consistency in performance and responsiveness. A stable 30 is often preferred to a 30-55 random framerate. It can make a game go from feeling like a mess to at least being more playable. And there's often no need to offer options because there is only 1 system they're aiming for. PS5 being able to boost performance like this simply wouldn't have been a factor while they made those games....but now they are we all want the generally unfavourable uncapped framerates back. Lol.

I'm just kinda curious if Devs can even determine which system a patch can be pushed to regarding backwards compatibility? Could ubisoft theoretically release a new patch for AC unity that let us update the game to the latest version to iron out bugs but also benefit from a new uncapped framerate WITHOUT fucking over the people on base PS4?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now I gotta find a copy...

I wish Sony would do us a solid and make every game they have uncapped. Imagine Gravity Rush games in 60 fps (if they patch it I also want them to make the online stuff available offline).

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really happy I sold my physical copy of The Last Guardian on Disc months ago ;_;

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Hurray for Physical ! :)
I'll play this next christmas if covid allows me to get close to my little sister.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
there is an option in the UI to disable auto updates:
Screenshot_20201108-195354_YouTube.jpg

Or alternatively you could just cancel the update as its being downloaded.
Please someone say this works, I just want to cry in 60FPS.