• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
So, one specific regional disc version has unlocked FPS. Well, better this than nothing.

Sadly, I can't see Sony patching this game and giving 60fps to everyone. They almost never do this for aged software.

Oct 27, 2017

The quickest I've ever gone from finding something out to getting a video out... It's the disc version without any patches applied, frame rate was unlocked at launch.

well_there_it_is_jurassic_park.gif

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So, one specific regional disc version has unlocked FPS. Well, better this than nothing.

Sadly, I can't see Sony patching this game and giving 60fps to everyone. They almost never do this for aged software.

I doubt it's one specific region. A lot of people playing this right now won't be looking for the improvements we ar

Baron Bliss

Oct 31, 2017
I'm in the US but I'm ordering a new physical copy of the UK version just in case. I assume the PS5 isn't region locked?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
We should have a name for this.. "ACU Syndrome" or something, where the original 1.0 disc version is uncapped, but you're forever forbidden from applying any patches.

That said, I do have this game on disc, but I'm not sure how to play it without patching? Is there an option for that, or do I just unplug the ethernet cable any time I want to play this particular game?

Rebetherick

Oct 26, 2017
Ah dammit, I traded my disc in a couple of weeks ago.

Definitely would of done another play through at 60

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
We should have a name for this.. "ACU Syndrome" or something, where the original 1.0 disc version is uncapped, but you're forever forbidden from applying any patches.

That said, I do have this game on disc, but I'm not sure how to play it without patching? Is there an option for that, or do I just unplug the ethernet cable any time I want to play this particular game?
there is an option in the UI to disable auto updates:
Screenshot_20201108-195354_YouTube.jpg

Or alternatively you could just cancel the update as its being downloaded.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So the only way that this is possible without a patch is that the game never had a 30 fps lock, but rather double buffered vsync, correct?

It sounds like a similar situation to AC unity. I think they capped that games framerate via patch in an attempt to maintain a more consistent performance...which the PS5 can't do anything about.. So not updating the game actually results in better performance...but it sounds like only the UK version of last guardian has an unlocked framerate to begin with for some reason?

My question is. If a developer decided to patch in unlocked framerates into games with capped framerates. Would the base systems and pro get that patch too, resulting in worse performance for them?

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
What a turnaround for unpatched physical games!

It's so ridiculous that people have to try this hard to get a 60 fps version of the game since Sony can't even bother unlock their own stuff they're using to showcase PS4's library on their paid online service.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Unpatch, set PS4 Pro to 720p, test it, give us the details.
There is no need to put it on 720p since with no patch there is only the 1080p version and... I'm testing it with 1080p output on PS4 Pro, without boost mode yet and guys, I don't have programs to analyze framerate but I can guarantee you that it's UNLOCKED.
If you look on the ground at the beginning of the game it seems to be around 40-50 fps, definitely NOT capped at 30fps since you see that is more fluid and you notice the judder/stutter of an unlocked framerate.

Wow, how anyone never noticed this is beyond me... I'll active the boost mode and see what happen XD

EDIT: lol I'm late but yeah, my eyes didn't deceived me at least :'D
BTW it seems that with boost mode is even better, not 60fps but better then 30 all around, at least in the beginning zone!

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
What version (region) of the game are you playing?

Since now we have confirmation some (all?) disc versions unpatched are running at 60, interested to hear what might be different here.

You shouldn't take my posts of confirmation of anything as I don't have a PS5 and don't have any frame rate analysis tools. 1.00 felt to me barely different from 1.03 in a few minutes of testing probably because the Pro can barely hit 40fps and the game even patched has always felt a bit framey and laggy to play.

We have definitive proof now however, so rejoice!

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
It's sad to think all those 30fps cap patches are so bad now on PS5.. How difficult is it to change that for devs ?

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Someone should forward this to Shu or Helman Hurst or any PR guys at Sony so they can patch back the game to 1.0 lol

Oct 25, 2017
There is no need to put it on 720p since with no patch there is only the 1080p version and... I'm testing it with 1080p output on PS4 Pro, without boost mode yet and guys, I don't have programs to analyze framerate but I can guarantee you that it's UNLOCKED.
If you look on the ground at the beginning of the game it seems to be around 40-50 fps, definitely NOT capped at 30fps since you see that is more fluid and you notice the judder/stutter of an unlocked framerate.

Wow, how anyone never noticed this is beyond me... I'll active the boost mode and see what happen XD
DO IT DO IT DO IT

Still set the PS4 Pro to 720p anyway, just in case. Maybe it does render at a lower resolution, lmao.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't take my posts of confirmation of anything as I don't have a PS5 and don't have any frame rate analysis tools. 1.00 felt to me barely different from 1.03 in a few minutes of testing probably because the Pro can barely hit 40fps and the game even patched has always felt a bit framey and laggy to play.

We have definitive proof now however, so rejoice!

Oh, gotcha, assumed you had an early PS5 and tested earlier... thanks for clearing that up!

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like a similar situation to AC unity. I think they capped that games framerate via patch in an attempt to maintain a more consistent performance...which the PS5 can't do anything about.. So not updating the game actually results in better performance...but it sounds like only the UK version of last guardian has an unlocked framerate to begin with for some reason?

My question is. If a developer decided to patch in unlocked framerates into games with capped framerates. Would the base systems and pro get that patch too, resulting in worse performance for them?

The most elegant solution to this problem would be to put an option in the menu to unlock performance, as you can see in titles such as inFAMOUS: SS or what Bluepoint snuck into the 360 version of Titanfall.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I was confused why some were making a big deal out of this, but it's because my first experience with TLG was on my Pro with the disc version. And I'd switch back and forth between options trying to decide which version I liked best.

Now THIS is a game that could use the PS5 help video feature.. I got stuck and gave up years back.😂 But I planned to eventually revisit it, so now with all the new benefits...it will be even better. 😁

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I was willing to wait, but now I really want a PS5 ASAP. The last guardian was the reason I bought a PS4, and while the bad performance on the base model didn't ruin my experience, it surely wasn't ideal.

Baron Bliss

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone know if the PS5 is region locked? I bought a new UK disc off Amazon for $20 but my PS5 will be US

hob982

Oct 27, 2017
Tried it, ps4 pro, no patch, 720p setting in the dashboard. It is unlocked unstable 60fps, judder-y as fuck but still unlocked. Felt better even about the input lag which was worrysome at 30fps. Shiiiiiiit I love this game so much I'd buy PS5 just for 60fps TLG.