• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
They are obviously making changes to the game. Looks like they have plenty of headroom to add more effects like below (hopefully add in portal reflections) I don't think there's any need to worry about a downgrade just don't get emotionally attached to a scene's colour grading.

lNn5sJI.png
Exactly. Everything pretty much improving from alpha says they still are adding more that's what optimizations are all about.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
They are obviously making changes to the game. Looks like they have plenty of headroom to add more effects like below (hopefully add in portal reflections) I don't think there's any need to worry about a downgrade just don't get emotionally attached to a scene's colour grading.

lNn5sJI.png
The reveal didn't have bounce light in this scene? Latest build looks so much better.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
And the best part: By the time the game launches it will be MUCH better, we don't know how old the FoT demo build is, but even so the improvements from June to August are noticeable and impressive

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
And the best part: By the time the game launches it will be MUCH better, we don't know how old the FoT demo build is, but even so the improvements from June to August are noticeable and impressive
right I think they might have a shit load of time to spare to optimize esp if they are making gains like this.

OP
OP
TheRealTalker

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This whole quick loading stuff and how quick it was to get into the game, etc.. makes me believe the AstroBot demo was on a PC OR a older PS5 devkit

that or the purposely made it slow down to show that warp into the world for Astro's PlayRoom

nevertheless the PS5 I/O is fast and it will be really crazy to see how that changes cut-scene to gameplay case scenarios

making them more dynamic

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This whole quick loading stuff and how quick it was to get into the game, etc.. makes me believe the AstroBot demo was on a PC OR a older PS5 devkit

that or the purposely made it slow down to show that warp into the world for Astro's PlayRoom

nevertheless the PS5 I/O is fast and it will be really crazy to see how that changes cut-scene to gameplay case scenarios

making them more dynamic
Prob older dev kit. Since they said everything was capped on PS5.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

making them more dynamic
It was on a PC or PS4, Sony wouldn't send even a devkit to Geoff just for this demo.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Its Store settings vs calibrated, the Amoled vs LCD smartphone debates all over again.

lmao.
I mean, let's at least be clear here that we all thought that scene looked absolutely incredible when we saw it in June.

I just don't want to make it seem like we suddenly think it looks bad and like "store settings" now.

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This post of yours helped me remember our earlier exchange. You're that person who was hellbent on proving how much of Downgrade Ghost of Tsushima was in a thread which clearly demonstrated why it wasn't.

You're doing the same thing here, but this time you've picked a game that has actually seen an upgraded from reveal.
You could say he has an agenda.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, let's at least be clear here that we all thought that scene looked absolutely incredible when we saw it in June.

I just don't want to make it seem like we suddenly think it looks bad and like "store settings" now.
But.... I don't necessarily think store settings look bad. Just different.

In the Amoled vs LCD debates, I actually prefer the over saturated look of Amoled screens.

Calibrated screens do look dull to me. But I at least understand it's not wrong, or bad.

Basically...its about what ppl prefer. And some make it like their preferences is the best or better than actually technical evidence.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
User Banned (2 Months): Long History of Antagonistic Behavior, Trolling, & Derailment in Threads
Like I said, nonsense.

Indeed. Not saying I don't get those who are truly curious on how this works or who prefer the earlier look, but that's not what he's offering.
Do you want me to highlight everything in red for you eagle eyes?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

lNn5sJI.png
The first pic is very flat. The portal wasn't even a light source.
The full portal isn't rendered and it is just a purple light source (like we see in the reflection), but that's already a big improvement.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

lNn5sJI.png
This looks considerably better now.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
A change in lighting drastically improved GoT and in general I always defer to the developer when it comes to them making their game look the way they think it should look.

Almost every "downgrade" argument involving a recent PS exclusive game basically comes down to an unfinished lighting system becoming more robust, and people who like bright sparks and high contrast not understanding how volumetric lighting or a slight ToD change can make a scene look quite different based on the artistic intent.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
A change in lighting drastically improved GoT and in general I always defer to the developer when it comes to them making their game look the way they think it should look.
Yup and with devs using ray tracing for certain geometry and things like ue5 's lighting they are gonna be upset all gen seeing early vs newer games as devs optimize lighting and change the mood of scenes.
Almost every "downgrade" argument involving a recent PS exclusive game basically comes down to an unfinished lighting system becoming more robust, and people who like bright sparks and high contrast not understanding how volumetric lighting or a slight ToD change can make a scene look quite different based on the artistic intent.
Hell im a layman to this but it's not hard to understand this at all. I do understand it just based on tv calibration and how much better a picture you can get.

Konosuke

Oct 29, 2017
Just watched this video. Actually surprised by how many examples of raytracing are in the game! I thought it would be only on Clank.

The most impressive thing still is the density and clarity of the chaotic action.

I noticed the HUD is also reacting to blasts and that made me wonder about the feedback on the DualSense. The interviews so far only game a few examples here and there, but surely it is more integrated into the gameplay just going by how the HUD is reacting already.

The word of mouth from this game will be amazing when it launches, if there was no covid this year, people would be getting hands-on right now on Gamescom....the demo sure looks like it is ready for it.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
This game looks incredible. Will probably be my first really next gen feeling experience. Looking forward to seeing more footage and eventually playing it. :)

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
they did all that and yet the left still looks better.

lighting is always the most important thing. the fact that the moonlight no longer lights up the shipdeck brings the whole image down. they need to change the lighting back. no one looked at this gif back in June and said shadows, reflections and peter panning needed to be fixed.

jO25hC.gif

this reminds me of when the gow devs changed the opening level after showing it off at e3. they wanted to make it better but ended up making it worse. just stop messing around with shit. this was perfect the way it was.
Good thing you're not a developer, then. ;)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
People should just put that guy on ignore. They're just trolling.
lol, my ignore list is usually spot on. Still damn near prefect.
That is a considerable improvement. God damn.
Wow, RTX on indeed, the portal reflecting off a lot of stuff now.
Yeah, also looking at the floor, you can tell its better.

I just don't want devs to go overboard with RT. Use it where it makes sense.

This game right now is an absolute showcase for next gen.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Downgrade talks are always fucking ridiculous. Especially when there's a video clearly laying out what has been improved. Even if their was a graphical downgrade, it wouldn't fucking matter lmao

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lighting change is not a downgrade. Whenever I think of downgrades, I think of Watch Dogs and a Rainbow Six Siege.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
they did all that and yet the left still looks better.

lighting is always the most important thing. the fact that the moonlight no longer lights up the shipdeck brings the whole image down. they need to change the lighting back. no one looked at this gif back in June and said shadows, reflections and peter panning needed to be fixed.

jO25hC.gif

this reminds me of when the gow devs changed the opening level after showing it off at e3. they wanted to make it better but ended up making it worse. just stop messing around with shit. this was perfect the way it was.
I do agree Gow e3 looked better...this Ratchet comparison is much closer though. Just the particles and sparkling water looked better I'm June, everything else I like the updated build.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017