• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Cerny was harping about what he thinks is a strong point. This is why he focused on SSD, Audio and downplayed the significance of GPU TF difference. PR.

There is a reason why you reserve memory for OS functions.

Yeah, I was actually agreeing with you. Using an SSD for OS features is interesting but I doubt a 5gb/s storage is fast enough to replace RAM that is ~90 times faster.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Suspend resume, party chat or other non gaming apps need access to RAM. OS only has a small memory footprint. PS3 OS was like 300MB. Sony will use the same amount or more for social features.

If they had an advantage in this area we would know already. Cerny has been harping about the SSD for half an hour which leads me to believe it's the only area they focused on.

Why the would he talk about things like OS when this is for games devs to know the hardware.
Those sort of this will come later on when Sony ready to show off other aspect of the system .
Hell the man did not show off any software what so ever .
If you compare this to how the show PS4 for the first time you can see the huge difference for who this for.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I was actually agreeing with you. Using an SSD for OS features is interesting but I doubt a 5gb/s storage is fast enough to replace RAM that is ~90 times faster.
Not 100%, but could you reduce memory usage by 50% using a super fast SSD? Maybe, offload any non-essential OS functions to SSD while a game is running and only bring them back into RAM when they're needed. I don't know if they'll do this, but in theory it seems possible.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, stop. It's okay that you disagree what they say because personal reasons but we don't have any proof where DF lied to us, on purpose. They are way too big and would risk their whole existence. These accusations have to stop. There are definitely biased media out there, no doubt, but pulling DF into the mud goes too far. By the way: if what they say is true, and there is no reason to believe it's not!, the world will still turn.

I thought their PS5 video was one of the best tech overview videos I've seen, a really good discussion between two knowledgeable people.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Not 100%, but could you reduce memory usage by 50% using a super fast SSD? Maybe, offload any non-essential OS functions to SSD while a game is running and only bring them back into RAM when they're needed. I don't know if they'll do this, but in theory it seems possible.

most os's already do that. That's not new. The essential services like recording streams, voice chat, and keeping screenshots of current gameplay moment consume most ram in the case of consoles. The most ram that will be saved is the suspended apps (like Netflix) that are restricted to a small portion of ram already for PS4/XBOX one

you're not going to reduce it by 50%. You'll reduce it by 256-768 MB

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

No one is suggesting that you run the OS from the SSD, just that you load it into RAM on demand rather than keeping it there all the time. You can then have a lightweight portion of the OS in memory at all times and only pull in the rest when the user hits the PS button from in game. That's all speculative of course but it doesn't seem completely absurd.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
most os's already do that. That's not new. The essential services like recording streams, voice chat, and keeping screenshots of current gameplay moment consume most ram in the case of consoles. The most ram that will be saved is the suspended apps (like Netflix) that are restricted to a small portion of ram already for PS4/XBOX one

you're not going to reduce it by 50%. You'll reduce it by 256-768 MB
I'm not talking about suspending apps, I'm talking about shuffling part of the OS that isn't critical to the game running to the SSD. Again, I'm not saying they'll do it but it seems possible.

Edit: If I had to guess I'd guess the PS5 will have about the same amount of RAM available to devs as the XSX btw.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
They don't disagree for personal reasons

They disagree cause DF statements contradicts what the LEAD system designer stated in the conference.

?

So much misinformation being peddled across multiple threads.
From verge comment section taken as gospel, 9tf to different clocks, only 100 games available for BC even after clarification.

Crazy stuff
Wait, are you accusing DF of peddling misinformation? Seriously? No wonder most verified folks leave this forum sooner or later. The toxicity is unbelievable.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
because RT quality is heavily dependent on number of rays cast and Xbox series X has almost twice the number of CUs which allows for more rays to be calculated in parallel.
That's a question I have: is the RT hardware distributed inside the CUs (in which case XSX would have an advantage most likely due to 44% more CUs), or are they added to the GPU separately from the CUs? In the latter case, PS5 probably has the advantage in RT because of higher clock speeds (assuming similar amounts and quality of RT hardware).

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Wait, are you accusing DF of peddling misinformation? Seriously? No wonder most verified folks leave this forum sooner or later. The toxicity is unbelievable.

You sure you read the post completely?

And as someone who would rather just read interesting conversation to gain knowledge without having to participate, I'll rather anyone (not DF) moving discussions in bad faith leave the forum, what is the point of large numbers when it's unproductive?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Guys, stop. It's okay that you disagree what they say because personal reasons but we don't have any proof where DF lied to us, on purpose. They are way too big and would risk their whole existence. These accusations have to stop. There are definitely biased media out there, no doubt, but pulling DF into the mud goes too far. By the way: if what they say is true, and there is no reason to believe it's not!, the world will still turn.
The DF video also has speculation, facts are very limited and they talk from their perspective, that includes their knowledge but also their personal and subjective view. And it is obvious that the ones sticking with them as gospel is also for personal reasons. If accusations have to stop, fine but for everyone, not just for the ones that happen to be telling what you wanna hear.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Also, that kind of thread is transparent af. It's also very reflective of those speculation threads about hardware:

Fucking fanboys who dont care about any tech related stuff but just fight to know "which one is better", backed by PR bullshit and buzzwords. This is why we cant have nice things. Many people here don't care about any tech aspects but just want to say "I HAVE MORE TF" "I HAVE A FASTER SSD" without even understanding what it means or what it changes or not.

And now it goes as far as shitting on competent outlets and throwing them under the bus because "THEY SAID MY PLASTIC TOY ISNT THE BEST HERE".

Pathetic af.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Also, that kind of thread is transparent af. It's also very reflective of those speculation threads about hardware:

Fucking fanboys who dont care about any tech related stuff but just fight to know "which one is better", backed by PR bullshit and buzzwords. This is why we cant have nice things. Many people here don't care about any tech aspects but just want to say "I HAVE MORE TF" "I HAVE A FASTER SSD" without even understanding what it means or what it changes or not.

And now it goes as far as shitting on competent outlets and throwing them under the bus because "THEY SAID MY PLASTIC TOY ISNT THE BEST HERE".

Pathetic af.
The funny thing is, when the next-generation after that hits the market (so, PS6/Xbox Series 2 or whatever), those people will realize that PS5/XSX were in the grand scheme of things nearly identical and will regret having lost so much time arguing which one was better.

Oct 25, 2017

Did I say they lied about anything? Just pointed out a potential conflict of interest.

We also had PS5 exclusive reveal.

Fair enough. I have not watched any spec analysis videos from anyone. I want see games in action. Nothing personal. Was just showing how easy it can be dismiss someone if you choose.

Last edited:

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Devs will choose whether they want full Power to gpu or full Power to CPU where one or the other underclocks below the listed spec. So a game to game Basis. I imagine most cross gen games will choose to prefer higher clocked gpu Mode as they will be gpu bound even if the Zen cores are underclocked. Zen just runs around the Jag that most cross gen games are not going to worry about CPU time, especially 30 fps games.

That is how it works.
So was Cerny lying or misinformed when he said the vast majority of the time the CPU and GPU will run at max clock speed? That's not possible if what you are saying is true.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Pathetic af.

Did you just say something bad about my plastic box? Dems fighting words friend! 😡

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Do you know what a conflict of interest means ?
Well, when one of the platform holders invites you to their HQ exclusively, to show and promote their work, they probably don't expect you to say bad things about their product.
It happens quite a lot with media, and other jobs too, nothing is for free.

If both the CPU and GPU can run at max clock speed, what's the point to decrease it or having it dynamic ?
This is a very confusing part of Cerny's speech, for all, but i guess It has to have some sense to it, Otherwise he would not have mentioned it.
My limited understanding is that at max speed depending on what instructions the cpu/gpu are processing, the power needed is different, so that power varies when processing a simple calculation vs a more complex one, despite the frequency being the same. That would mean more heat, so compromising the system.

So i guess he is taking more about real world problems that are not what a sheet of specs tells you with just the highest theoretical number

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think a point to take into account when discussing the maximum performance cap is CPU multithreading as well. XSX clocks to 3.6 GHz when doing SMT, down from 3.8 GHz, so it stands to reason that using multithreading incurs extra power consumption. That might be an avenue where the system reaches that "worst case scenario" Cerny alluded to. MS stated in their spec reveal that most devs at or around launch are still opting for single-threaded CPU utilisation, so I imagine PS5 versions do the same. As a result, it's quite possible that at launch both the maximum CPU and GPU clock can be reached on PS5, but as time goes on and full multithreading is used by devs, we could see the power budget limit being passed and the system throttle a little bit.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
If both the CPU and GPU can run at max clock speed, what's the point to decrease it or having it dynamic ?
My guess - typically a lot of the time various subsystems sit idle - if the developer optimizes the graphics pipeline so that shaders and texturing units and ROPs work simultaneously most of the time, the GPU would draw too much power and would have to be downclocked, regardless of what's happening in the CPU.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

Because there are different kind of workloads? Try running FurMark and Prime95 on your PC at the same time and see what happens. Typical games do not stress the CPU/GPU as much, that's why they can run at full clocks. The dynamic clocks help in the few occasions when there really are such peaks, so that the console doesn't self-destruct and cooling is manageable.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So was Cerny lying or misinformed when he said the vast majority of the time the CPU and GPU will run at max clock speed? That's not possible if what you are saying is true.

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think both can be 'correct' depending on the assumed workload on the CPU and GPU. The people Dictator was talking to might be assuming different workload scenarios than Cerny.

Secondly, I think it's worth clarifying that Cerny said:

We expect the GPU to spend most of its time, at or close to that frequency and performance (2.23Ghz).

I do think, though, it would be worth clarifying that the clockspeed situation is workload dependent, and not simply a clock trade. I think Dictator's comments suggest that it's merely a simple clock trade - and it might be a simple clock trade under certain workloads - but I think it should be qualified if it is dependent on the shape of the workload. I think it's also worth clarifying what developer choice means here - do developers have an influence on the setting of clocks? It sounded like a black box from the Cerny talk. Can developer's actually fix the clocks themselves?

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think both can be 'correct' depending on the assumed workload on the CPU and GPU. The people Dictator was talking to might be assuming different workload scenarios than Cerny.

Secondly, I think it's worth clarifying that Cerny said:

I do think, though, it would be worth clarifying that the clockspeed situation is workload dependent, and not simply a clock trade. I think Dictator's comments suggest that it's merely a simple clock trade - and it might be a simple clock trade under certain workloads - but I think it should be qualified if it is dependent on the shape of the workload. I think it's also worth clarifying what developer choice means here - do developers have an influence on the setting of clocks? It sounded like a black box from the Cerny talk. Can developer's actually fix the clocks themselves?
Thanks!

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
So when you do less intensive task like opening menu in GoW or HZD, the fps doesn't go crazy with fans shooting up in helicopter mode like on PS4. Instead GPU cycle goes down while maintaining same power/fan speed. He said it as much with graph showing GoW axe.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I don't believe for a second that money changed hands between DF and Sony or Microsoft. DF are both professional and passionate about their work and understand their audience in a way that people at Sony or Microsoft directly involved in platform decisions do not. Just look at the negative reception towards Cerny's presentation, perhaps if the same information had been filtered solely by DF, some of that reception would have been mitigated.

In return, DF gets a lot of attention, prestige and traffic..

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Because there are different kind of workloads? Try running FurMark and Prime95 on your PC at the same time and see what happens. Typical games do not stress the CPU/GPU as much, that's why they can run at full clocks. The dynamic clocks help in the few occasions when there really are such peaks, so that the console doesn't self-destruct and cooling is manageable.

I know that your hardware doesn't run at full clocks when it's sitting idle. But is it the case for consoles ? And why the need to explain that "it'll reach max clocks most of the time" ?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I know that your hardware doesn't run at full clocks when it's sitting idle. But is it the case for consoles ? And why the need to explain that "it'll reach max clocks most of the time" ?

My understanding, from what Cerny was saying, is that the level of power consumed by the chip isn't merely a function of clockspeed, but also dependent on what is actually being processed. That certain instructions, certain types of work, consume more power, independent of the clockspeed it is running at.

Hence, you could have times where both the CPU and GPU are, effectively, running at their max clocks, and other times where it has to vary.

Usually clocks are varied with thermals. Or cooling is varied with thermals. The latter is what happens in console often - even though, in PS4, the clockspeeds were fixed, the power consumption varied with workload, and thus the thermals - which is why your fan kicks up more in some games or at some times in some games, than in others.

PS5 is looking at the workload it's currently processing, what it will mean for power consumption, and if the workloads' power consumption at max clocks comes in under the PS5's power and thermal dissipation budget, then max clocks will be maintained. Cerny, it seems, expects that 'most' workloads will fit that criteria.

Their alternative was to try to guess the worst case workloads, and then always have the chip running at a lower fixed clockspeed to accommodate that. That's what they did with their consoles previously. Why do that, why fix around the assumed worst case, if the workload and its power demands will actually change, and in some, or perhaps many cases you could get away with a higher clock? That was the question they appear to have started with.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah well that is what we got for that article - I also want way more information than what we had from their side.
In the direct about PS5, Richard did mention he had a talk with Cerny. Did he manage to get more info, or they discussed only what was spoken about during the presentation? Also, if I'm not mistaken there is an upcoming article about their talk, right?

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
My understanding, from what Cerny was saying, is that the level of power consumed by the chip isn't merely a function of clockspeed, but also dependent on what is actually being processed. That certain instructions, certain types of work, consume more power, independent of the clockspeed it is running at.

Hence, you could have times where both the CPU and GPU are, effectively, running at their max clocks, and other times where it has to vary.

Usually clocks are varied with thermals. Or cooling is varied with thermals. The latter is what happens in console often - even though, in PS4, the clockspeeds were fixed, the power consumption varied with workload, and thus the thermals - which is why your fan kicks up more in some games or at some times in some games, than in others.

PS5 is looking at the workload it's currently processing, what it will mean for power consumption, and if the workloads' power consumption at max clocks comes in under the PS5's power and thermal dissipation budget, then max clocks will be maintained. Cerny, it seems, expects that 'most' workloads will fit that criteria.

Their alternative was to try to guess the worst case workloads, and then always have the chip running at a lower fixed clockspeed to accommodate that. That's what they did with their consoles previously. Why do that, why fix around the assumed worst case, if the workload and its power demands will actually change, and in some, or perhaps many cases you could get away with a higher clock? That was the question they appear to have started with.
Do you think the XSX GPU and CPU will run at max clocks 100% of the time?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Do you think the XSX GPU and CPU will run at max clocks 100% of the time?

They're running at their fixed clock, yes.

They made the decision to fix their GPU clock at a lower rate to accommodate assumed 'worst cases' of workload, based on what their cooling could handle, so it will never vary - even where potentially the clockspeed could have gone higher with some workload patterns it will be running. That's a different set of tradeoffs.

Mar 29, 2018
DirectML – Xbox Series X supports Machine Learning for games with DirectML, a component of DirectX. DirectML leverages unprecedented hardware performance in a console, benefiting from over 24 TFLOPS of 16-bit float performance and over 97 TOPS (trillion operations per second) of 4-bit integer performance on Xbox Series X. Machine Learning can improve a wide range of areas, such as making NPCs much smarter, providing vastly more lifelike animation, and greatly improving visual quality.

Mesh Shading – Mesh shading will enable developers to dramatically improve the performance and image quality when rendering a substantial number of complex objects in a scene. As an example, mesh shaders could enable the player to experience asteroid belts and fields of flowers in more pristine detail without seeing a loss in performance.

^^^ That's the culling you mentioned.

Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) – A component of the Xbox Velocity Architecture, SFS is a feature of the Xbox Series X hardware that allows games to load into memory, with fine granularity, only the portions of textures that the GPU needs for a scene, as it needs it. This enables far better memory utilization for textures, which is important given that every 4K texture consumes 8MB of memory. Because it avoids the wastage of loading into memory the portions of textures that are never needed, it is an effective 2x or 3x (or higher) multiplier on both amount of physical memory and SSD performance.

^^^ Another "culling" related efficiency.

Variable Rate Shading (VRS) – Variable Rate Shading increases GPU efficiency by concentrating shader work where it's most needed and reducing shader work in areas where it won't be noticeable. With minimal developer effort, VRS significantly improves GPU performance resulting in more stable and higher resolutions and frame rates with no perceptible loss in visual quality.

^^^ Wasn't mentioned by Cerny. It's essentially a 10-20% perf lift.

news.xbox.com

Defining the Next Generation: An Xbox Series X|S Technology Glossary - Xbox Wire

[Editor’s Note: Updated on 10/21 at 11AM to ensure it is now reflective of the capabilities across both of our next-gen Xbox consoles following the unveil of Xbox Series S.] As we enter a new generation of console gaming with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, we’ve made a number of technology...
I watched a couple of videos on mesh shading and it sounded nothing at all like what Cerny described. The latter two solutions are v cool though. Gonna be a hell of a generation!

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're running at their fixed clock, yes.

They made the decision to fix their GPU clock at a lower rate to accommodate assumed 'worst cases' of workload, based on what their cooling could handle, so it will never vary - even where potentially the clockspeed could have gone higher with some workload patterns it will be running. That's a different set of tradeoffs.
Add to that not only cooling but also cooling that keeps the console silent which I think is a very important thing.

winwood

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The funny thing is, when the next-generation after that hits the market (so, PS6/Xbox Series 2 or whatever), those people will realize that PS5/XSX were in the grand scheme of things nearly identical and will regret having lost so much time arguing which one was better.

100% this.

I went with Xbox One at launch for my own reasons I won't go into, while constantly having people question my choice due to the difference in power and "exclusives".

It continued to be my platform of choice for multiplats even after I got a PS4 a couple of years later (I also owned a 360 and PS3 and currently own a Switch too). I don't for a second feel like I lost out through the choice I made at launch.

I fully intend on getting an XSX at launch, then a PS5 a year or two later, but my choice of console to buy first has nothing to do with the recent spec reveal.

I know in my example I favoured Xbox over PlayStation, but that really isn't the point of my reply.

So 100% agree with Laver. There is so much vs talk creeping into these threads which basically read as people trying to justify their choice of a console which isn't even out yet.

Fully expect PS5 games to look amazing and fully optimized for the console. XSX games will look amazing and fully optimized for the console. Multiplats will largely provide users of both consoles a very similar experience and more than likely feature crossplay in multiplayer where we can all play together.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Add to that not only cooling but also cooling that keeps the console silent which I think is a very important thing.

Correct. I think it will be interesting to see what Sony's selected upper bound on heat dissipation is. The idea with their approach is to keep heat relatively constant with workload, or at least, to guarantee it won't breach a certain point. So what that upper point is will be interesting. I assume based on how Cerny talked about the PS4/Pro fans, the selected limit will be acoustically much more pleasing... but we will see.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Correct. I think it will be interesting to see what Sony's selected upper bound on heat dissipation is. The idea with their approach is to keep heat relatively constant with workload, or at least, to guarantee it won't breach a certain point. So what that upper point is will be interesting. I assume based on how Cerny talked about the PS4/Pro fans, the selected limit will be acoustically much more pleasing... but we will see.
Do we know how the GPU power consumption scales with high frequencies already? At which point will it be worse/higher than linear power consumption?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know how the GPU power consumption scales with high frequencies already? At which point will it be worse/higher than linear power consumption?

You might be able to measure it off a rdna2 chip in PC to get an idea. It's usually very non-linear. In the presentation we only had Cerny's mention that 'a couple of %' frequency reduction buys back 10% power consumption.