• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So did MS really screw the pooch by focusing on extra TF that will win the Digital Foundry comparisons but have marginal real-world implications, compared to Sony's crazy SSD? I realize without games to compare it's impossible to say definitively, but that seems to be the take away here.
Not really, they just had different design goals. This gen I don't think anyone made a mistake.

The gif of the strong and fast person is a perfect comparison. Both can be amazing fighters, utilizing their strengths.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Lastly SFS is unique

Lastly DirectML and hardware support for int 4 and 8 is unique.
While SFS itself may be a unique implementation, a texture culling process of another kind could exist for PS5. It's not like Sony don't know the benefit this would have. (Also, I could be wrong but wouldn't PS5's much higher-clocked TMUs already mitigate this issue a little?)

Support for INT4 and INT8 is definitely not unique. What may be unique is the extension of Rapid Packed Math to these smaller formats, putting 4x INT8 and 8x INT4 values into one FP32. However, Microsoft didn't say that this was part of XVA, so it may just be an AMD-engineered option that anyone can use.

I thought it had 56 vs 32 which would have been 24 more. Still has 44% more CUs which means up to 16 more rays can be calculated at the same time as PS5 can calculate 1
I don't follow how this math works. Microsoft have 1.44x as many CUs, so they can cast 16x as many rays?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
While SFS itself may be a unique implementation, a texture culling process of another kind could exist for PS5. It's not like Sony don't know the benefit this would have. (Also, I could be wrong but wouldn't PS5's much higher-clocked TMUs already mitigate this issue a little?)

Support for INT4 and INT8 is definitely not unique. What may be unique is the extension of Rapid Packed Math to these smaller formats, putting 4x INT8 and 8x INT4 values into one FP32. However, Microsoft didn't say that this was part of XVA, so it may just be an AMD-engineered option that anyone can use.

I don't follow how this math works. Microsoft have 1.44x as many CUs, so they can cast 16x as many rays?

16 more not 16x

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
doesnt matter much if you dont have other pieces
So did MS really screw the pooch by focusing on extra TF that will win the Digital Foundry comparisons but have marginal real-world implications, compared to Sony's crazy SSD? I realize without games to compare it's impossible to say definitively, but that seems to be the take away here.
from what I'm seeing there are no losers architecture wise this gen. Its gonna boil down to the games. As it's always had. Lol

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
Do we know if the CUs on both PS5 and XSX are the same size? Just something I thought of since Cerny said the CUs on PS5 is 60% bigger than what they were on PS4.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I was just confused by the "at the same time as PS5 can calculate 1". So what you meant was "can cast 52 rays in the same time PS5 can cast 36." But I'm not sure that's correct. Since the RT hardware is subject to the same speed as the rest of the GPU, I believe PS5's higher clockspeed means it can cast more than this ratio. A naive calculation would say 44 rays versus 52; I doubt the math is so simple, though. (And see the next segment for evidence of severe obvious gaps in my learning.)

Er, RT scales with resolution, if perf delta is 20% you'd get either/or.
Okay, it seems I fundamentally misunderstand RT cores then. What I meant was that as resolution goes up as a function of CU number, the rays per pixel don't go up even faster. The two values move in lockstep. But you're saying it's a literal tradeoff, that if your resolution is higher, the number of rays/pixel has to go down. I understand that BVH intersection tests aren't the only step to raytracing, but I'd have thought with dedicated hardware for that part, RT would use little of the normal compute hardware. Is this incorrect?

Do we know if the CUs on both PS5 and XSX are the same size? Just something I thought of since Cerny said the CUs on PS5 is 60% bigger than what they were on PS4.
We don't know. There's no image or definitively known size for the PS5 APU. The only block-diagram style render of the XSX chip is unhelpfully tilted and 3D, which introduces some imprecision. But according to that it does seem that RDNA2 is smaller overall than RDNA1, so I wouldn't expect anything much smaller.

As for the Mark Cerny statement about 62% more transistors per CU you referenced. If we adjust the PS4 CU like that, and then shrink it based on estimated transistor density change for TSMC, we get a CU size for PS5 of 1.7mm^2. But this is not a very accurate way to estimate, and that seems too small (15% below RDNA1, even though extra hardware has been added to each?).

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 APU is probably smaller than SX since they were able to push it beyond 2.2Ghz on air.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The PS5 APU is probably smaller than SX since they were able to push it beyond 2.2Ghz on air.

The guy who was behind the Xbox Series X hands on also mentioned that he thinks the PS5 will come in smaller and slightly cheaper to manufacture. He predicted a $50 cheaper launch price, but at this point who knows. All depends on how much Sony is paying for that SSD and all their custom stuff, including the cooling system.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know what kind of cooling to expect on PS5? Their running it over 2.0Ghz..Cerny says we will be impressed by it during a teardown, so.. it must be crazy engineered. I remember about two years ago, with one of their flagship Xperia's, they designed a very elaborate heatsink system, there were 2+ heatsinks taking heat from the phone SoC's to the outer edges of the phone and I wished they could also think outside the box in cooling for PS5 too. Glad to hear Sony is taking cooling seriously with PS5.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone know what kind of cooling to expect on PS5? Their running it over 2.0Ghz..Cerny says we will be impressed by it during a teardown, so.. it must be crazy engineered. I remember about two years ago, with one of their flagship Xperia's, they designed a very elaborate heatsink system, there were 2+ heatsinks taking heat from the phone SoC's to the outer edges of the phone and I wished they could also think outside the box in cooling for PS5 too. Glad to hear Sony is taking cooling seriously with PS5.
Wasn't the cooling solution in Xbox One X also very impressive?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I just hope the console is a traditional shape/design and can actually fit in my damn media centre. Because the Xbox Series X sure won't.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
I don't understand this though, and its the same argument that we got when the One X came out. Im glad that both parties will now both be competing in the first party department, but why do people pretend that third party doesn't matter? It mattered when PS4 beat out Xbox one in 2013/2014, but it stopped mattering when One X came out and apparently doesn't matter now that XSX has more horsepower.

I'd say playing 90% of my library in higher resolutions, frame-rates and with better assets is a big deal. Especially now that the CPU gap has widened we will almost definitely see frame rate discrepancies in multi-plats. When Xbox one was down on specs, it mattered alot, when Xbox took the lead in specs (particularly the GPU), the GPU and resolution stopped mattering and frame-rates became important, now that XSX has a GPU and CPU advantage for resolution and frame rates, neither matter. To me, this is a big deal for first and third party games and im just confused why anybody would say that it doesn't matter.
Agreed but I don't think the gamers who really enjoy this hobby is making one better than the other. You will always have favorites :-)

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Watched the video again, and I'm starting to believe that the ease of development was indeed, a primary design goal. Hopefully, this will mean more games from Sony's first party. (Most of them did maximum 2 games over the course of PS4 if I'm correct.)

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It's funny we are finally admitting XBX's cooling isn't impressive, but im interesting to see PS5's cooling system & how much of the high clock is from RDNA2 gains. This presentation wasn't detailed enough in these areas.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
In this case definitely. They don't mix science and facts with fiction.
On the other hand, one of the console manufacturers has given them the exclusive for their last two console launches. That introduces a major conflict of interest in a commercial sense. That's not to say they have or will act with impropriety as a result, but it is a clear conflict of interest. From a commercial point of view though I can completely understand why they would still accept those offers.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
PS5 most likely will have more ram to use on games, I can see them using 15gigs for ram potentially
This is unlikely to happen. What you have as an OS is not what you have on PC; almost everything that is done by the OS concerns gaming or functions that are related to user experience around gaming.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you mean of the PS5 dev kit? I actually really love that design, and hope we see it as the retail design (even if history tells us that's very unlikely).
Yeah, the V shape devkit. It's slighly bigger than the Pro in all directions, basically channeling air through some sort of dual setup, I'm hoping that's what Cerny meant by something amazing the engineering team created for cooling.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On the other hand, one of the console manufacturers has given them the exclusive for their last two console launches. That introduces a major conflict of interest in a commercial sense. That's not to say they have or will act with impropriety as a result, but it is a clear conflict of interest. From a commercial point of view though I can completely understand why they would still accept those offers.
Yeah one just does exclusive reveal deals.
Guys, stop. It's okay that you disagree what they say because personal reasons but we don't have any proof where DF lied to us, on purpose. They are way too big and would risk their whole existence. These accusations have to stop. There are definitely biased media out there, no doubt, but pulling DF into the mud goes too far. By the way: if what they say is true, and there is no reason to believe it's not!, the world will still turn.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
This is unlikely to happen. What you have as an OS is not what you have on PC; almost everything that is done by the OS concerns gaming or functions that are related to user experience around gaming.

Suspend resume, party chat or other non gaming apps need access to RAM. OS only has a small memory footprint. PS3 OS was like 300MB. Sony will use the same amount or more for social features.

If they had an advantage in this area we would know already. Cerny has been harping about the SSD for half an hour which leads me to believe it's the only area they focused on.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Suspend resume, party chat or other non gaming apps need access to RAM. OS only has a small memory footprint. PS3 OS was like 300MB. Sony will use the same amount or more for social features.

If they had an advantage in this area we would know already. Cerny has been harping about the SSD for half an hour which leads me to believe it's the only area they focused on.
Tell me if it's only 300 mb, why did they use 3gb, gen times the amount, on PS4.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Guys, stop. It's okay that you disagree what they say because personal reasons but we don't have any proof where DF lied to us, on purpose. They are way too big and would risk their whole existence. These accusations have to stop. There are definitely biased media out there, no doubt, but pulling DF into the mud goes too far. By the way: if what they say is true, and there is no reason to believe it's not!, the world will still turn.
In this case definitely. They don't mix science and facts with fiction.
??? Methinks you've got a little bias here.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018

True but cerny stayed away from taking about the OS in general. Think another video conference will show us the OS and new controller in action pretty soon. Along with a view of the console I'm sure.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Haha.
DF bias changes with the weather that fanboys imagine. ResetERA is pretty tiresome in this regard for thsi console launch. Why does it happen here so often?
Hey Dictator, I was hoping you could clarify your theory about PS5's CPU/GPU clocks? Your theory seems to contradict Cerny's statements in the video from Wednesday and it would be great to figure out what's actually going on.

Many of us have pointed out that Cerny stated both CPU and GPU will run at their max clocks a majority of the time, which is impossible if only one can run at max clocks at a time. Is it possible your info was referring to balancing power draw and not clock speeds?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

Cerny was harping about what he thinks is a strong point. This is why he focused on SSD, Audio and downplayed the significance of GPU TF difference. PR.

There is a reason why you reserve memory for OS functions.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
When Cerny said relying on TF is dangerous, he had PS5 TF =/= PS4 TF slide in the back. Same with CUs so I assumed he was talking about comparing previous gen with current gen (for eg "PS5 is 6 times more powerful than PS4"), but people are free to assume whatever they want.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017

They don't disagree for personal reasons

They disagree cause DF statements contradicts what the LEAD system designer stated in the conference.

?

So much misinformation being peddled across multiple threads.
From verge comment section taken as gospel, 9tf to different clocks, only 100 games available for BC even after clarification.

Crazy stuff