• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not news though, Cerny said it right away. He also said that "in that worst case scenario" a 10% reduction in power on one of them would only drop a few points in the clock, so they expect that to be almost unnoticeiable.

yeah the area of flactuation is importand , if you only need to drop the gpu a bit to keep high the cpu it would be great

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Am I alone in believing that while the Xbox is superior that Playstation took a more innovative route with their design decisions. As in the tech in the Xbox is amazing and superior, yet PS has a console that is slightly weaker but with more potential?

Or am I off base?

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I alone in believing that while the Xbox is superior that Playstation took a more innovative route with their design decisions. As in the tech in the Xbox is amazing and superior, yet PS has a console that is slightly weaker but with more potential?

Or am I off base?

if ps5 is 399 and xboxsx is 499 then the ps5 is closer than ms expected. (1.8ghz of oberon for 8tfs)

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Or am I off base?
Did you read the DF article https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs completely and took a look at every customization did, especially in the storage topic that seems to be popular currently?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
You still have to take in account a 1TF machine with a HDD as a baseline. Can't do huge open worlds with insane draw distances with no loading screens through wich you travel at enormous speeds without your game completely falling apart.

My point is that there are multiple ways to approach this issue. I mentioned 1 extreme (where a dev takes full advantage of XSX and someone else ports a compromised version) and you the other end (game is designed with limitations of ONE in mind and little difference between versions other than performance metrics).

Just saying we don't know what their approach is going to be and should reservejudgement on their strategy until we see some games.

Anyway, sorry for off topic.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
if ps5 is 399 and xboxsx is 499 then the ps5 is closer than ms expected. (1.8ghz of oberon for 8tfs)
I am also looking forward to how they price both consoles, I think the relative close performance delta, means that both are priced at the point.
Did you read the DF article https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs completely and took a look at every customization did, especially in the storage topic that seems to be popular currently?
Thanks for this, I am sure watched their breakdown, but Ill read the article anyway.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
We are going to be asking devs about System Reserved amount for ram and what exactly the CPU or gpu clocks are in each Mode.
I do not think it will have a decidedly different RAM Reservation for the OS. SSDs do not have random access latency like RAM, we use RAM for a reason.
I am also taking to devs on both machines and I am working on some stuff to get info out there. I will be digging into this more, odd comment about SSD as RAM where was this mentioned?

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
New thread worthy imo, because there is a lot of misconception that it doesn't work like that at all.

I tried to explain yesterday the same thing dictator is saying in this thread and got attacked. The hardest sony fans dont want to hear it. It'll cause a huge uproar and this forum is already on fire. Maybe best left for a DF video in a week or two once things cool down.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I tried to explain yesterday the same thing dictator is saying in this thread and got attacked. The hardest sony fans dont want to hear it. It'll cause a huge uproar and this forum is already on fire. Maybe best left for a DF video in a week or two once things cool down.

Wait for more info before making that thread. At least actual numbers. Otherwise it will be the same lunatics shouting at each other all over again.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I don't want to jump into the arguments but I'm a software engineer by trade with more than 10 years experience working in the automotive industry. I only switched to doing DF stuff when we left for Europe as it was a chance to do something I was more passionate about. Definitely NOT a journalist by training at all but we have one of the best ensuring that THAT side of things gets done right.

I will say, what Alex is alluding to in this thread is based on discussions with multiple people doing actual work on this box so keep that in mind...

Good lord, dude, you can't ask yesterday and expect content immediately. Even if we were to jump right on it, it takes a lot of time to create that video! I think that's a technical topic that should occur when we have real data from software that can illustrate the differences.
I don't doubt you have tech background to support your reasoning, just like this NX guy, or many in this forum or others. You obviously will have insider info and contact with devs that may give you a better context and knowledge.
But your personal conclusions are based on your knowledge are as valid as anyone with similar background. The same goes for NX gamer. So shouldn't be considered as gospel, because in the end while wider , it is still not the full picture, and everyone has his own preferences (from the technical approach to the most mundane things). Even the devs you approach have personal interest or links that may affect the message you that from them.

Oh, and i think it is fair to question who is feeding us with info, because Cerny or Spencer give you their vision as the correct approach because they want to sell you a product, obvious, But NXgamer or DF or any other also has a reason behind.

And just for background, and considering my limited knowledge on the topic, is easy to perceive the different approaches depending on which member of DF is talking/posting. Or even going further, the way faceoffs have changed, or not, since the early days.

Sorry for the offtopic

Last edited:

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
I think it doesnt work like that. They are monitoring transistors occuped in cpu and gpu continously while running max clock in both. If they reach an occupancy point (for example all the cus and registers busy) is when the smartshift enters in the game reducing cap clock from cpu or gpu.
For example: a real time scene from Uncharted takes 95% of transistors in both cpu and gpu. They have a profile and know that with that occpancy they are over the 220 watts cap of the cooling solution, so they start downclocking. And that scene will hit that point in all PS5s out there.

Uzume

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not a game dev but from my experience I/O have always been a bottleneck for me.
I have to rely on asynchronous operations all the time and it quickly become a mess if I add threads into the code. Bugs like double free, dead locks and failed streams/futures/promises/co-routines whatever you call them sometimes give me nightmare.
With the I/O speed of PS5 maybe I could ditch a lot of the hassle and go back to synchronous code and resolve a lof conflict between threads.
Life will be much easier for me.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Makes sense. The SSD doesn't have to as fast as GDDR6 to offload some low priority OS functions. 5.5GB/sec is plenty fast, how fast was the DDR3 in PS4 Pro?

Inside PlayStation 4 Pro: How Sony made the first 4K games console

On PS4, apps/OS HAD to be in GDDR5 because the hard drive was too damn slow. For the Pro, Sony slapped on some cheap slow DDR3 for it. Perhaps with PS5, the SSD is fast enough to serve a similar function.
You are def on to something Here. Because DDR3 on the low end transfers at 6.4 GB/s high end 12.4GB/s
PS4 SSD is 5.5GB uncompressed vs up to 8-9 GB compressed.
They absolutely could follow the same model they had for the PS4 Pro.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You are def on to something Here. Because DDR3 on the low end transfers at 6.4 GB/s high end 12.4GB/s
Correction, 8-9GB/s is the expected speed on compressed data, but it can go up to 22GB/s

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Basically you target and say I want full GPU and the CPU underclocks so the Power Budget keeps the GPU clock high. The Power that would have been CPU Reserved goes over to the GPU to keep it's clock more stable, and since the CPU is now lower clocked, the more intense utilisation or instructions will not tip the Power Balance - well, that is for a game that is also not Absolutely thrashing both.
indeed this Info comes from people who work on the Thing.

Basically, if the Gpu is at 10.2 TF, the cpu is not at 3.5 GHz.

Are we sure it's so simple? He alluded to the shape of the workload affecting clocks. I'm not sure it's a simple clockspeed see-saw. If the shape of the workload, the 'utilisation'/occupancy allows it, it sounded like both can be run at their max clocks - or, at least, that you wouldn't have a simple relationship between cpu and gpu upclock/downclock.

I think it needs a bit more clarification anyway.

edit - if devs are saying to you it's a simple clock see-saw, then that's fair enough!

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I am also taking to devs on both machines and I am working on some stuff to get info out there. I will be digging into this more, odd comment about SSD as RAM where was this mentioned?
By people in this thread musing about total RAM amount for the game vs System Reserve. I do not think the PS5 will have a vastly different strstegy than their competitor for System reservation.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I'm not a game dev but from my experience I/O have always been a bottleneck for me.
I have to rely on asynchronous operations all the time and it quickly become a mess if I add threads into the code. Bugs like double free, dead locks and failed streams/futures/promises/co-routines whatever you call them sometimes give me nightmare.
With the I/O speed of PS5 maybe I could ditch a lot of the hassle and go back to synchronous code and resolve a lof conflict between threads.
Life will be much easier for me.
Well, i don't know, but that ex sony guy from the crunch episode said something in this direction. Maybe the benefit is more on the dev side, less stress, less hours of work, less code less testing, and hopefully better conditions (that at the same time may mean similar crunch because they don't need to hire so many people,)

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I would think the CPU & GPU have separate power budgets. Neither part 'steals' from the other. That would make things very hairy, the CPU might be busy with critical aspects (and if the GPU starts stealing in that moment...). When CPU is idle it might lend resources to the GPU (through Smart Shift).

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019

SSD have life expectancy connected to write cycles. If you have hundreds of writes to memory per hour you will destroy the drive in a matter of days.

This is why I am extremely skeptical of anyone who thinks the SSD is some kind of ace for every problem the PS5 has.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
By people in this thread musing about total RAM amount for the game vs System Reserve. I do not think the PS5 will have a vastly different strstegy than their competitor for System reservation.
No they wont, the options here with the I/O construction SSD mean that you can cache non-active RAM allocations when a game is running to free up core RAM. The OS still needs to reside with the Kernal, Thread priority, System calls etc but holding a 3GB footprint when you can cache the idle parts make much more sense in a dedicated console over a PC for example.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
SSD have life expectancy connected to write cycles. If you have hundreds of writes to memory per hour you will destroy the drive in a matter of days.

This is why I am extremely skeptical of anyone who thinks the SSD is some kind of ace for every problem the PS5 has.
What exactly would they be writing on the SSD. It would be loading the OS package to memory. There isnt any writing involved there, unless I'm mistaken as to how an installed OS would work.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There really is some interesting tech inside the consoles and just yesterday I asked DF people if they could shed some light on the differences between the lossless compression asics and the respective algorithms these asics implement, Kraken vs BCPack and Zlib but it seems no one wants to have that discussion as it seems to be too technical and unpopular. It seems more interesting to go the "simple math path" and trying to construct edge cases where one console could outperform the other, all done by actual arm chair devs.
You can see zlib vs Kraken on RAD's oodle page. Kraken depacks around 5 times quicker and packs ~20% better. BCPack is likely something similar to oodle lossless image but we're probably not going to see any numbers on that without a leak as it's not a very end user type of thing to talk about.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can see zlib vs Kraken on RAD's oodle page. Kraken depacks around 5 times quicker and packs ~20% better. BCPack is likely something similar to oodle lossless image but we're probably not going to see any numbers on that without a leak as it's not a very end user type of thing to talk about.
I saw these comparisons but quicker is one thing - both companies built asics that do the lossless compression in realtime so the time advantage is not applicable here.
In case you missed, here is a small twitter convo on the topic:

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So its confirmed Sony got only Kraken?
I don't think this is a race where the most implemented algorithms win but I am not farmiliar with the current tech standard when it comes to lossless compression algorithms and especially not their application when it comes to gaming. I do find it an interesting topic, though and would like to hear from more people in the industry about it :)

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
What exactly would they be writing on the SSD. It would be loading the OS package to memory. There isnt any writing involved there, unless I'm mistaken as to how an installed OS would work.

The ram reserved in ps4/xbone isn't just for OS. It's also for apps and social features (party chat, multitasking, suspend resume shenanigans) and they absolutely write into ram.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I saw these comparisons but quicker is one thing - both companies built asics that do the lossless compression in realtime so the time advantage is not applicable here.
In case you missed, here is a small twitter convo on the topic:

I think there's a super big assumption there that Sony wouldn't have newer kinds of texture encoder in their SDK. I mean, admittedly he predicates that all on an if, but it's a big if. AFAIK you could use whatever kind of texture compression you wanted on PS4.

In terms of decoding, whether there's silicon for specific non-general texture decompression, that's another question. However, crunch, for example, is a relatively light decode. Maybe BCPack is heavier which is why MS included a decoder for it.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think there's a super big assumption there that Sony wouldn't have newer kinds of texture encoder in their SDK. I mean, admittedly he predicates that all on an if, but it's a big if. AFAIK you could use whatever kind of texture compression you wanted on PS4.

In terms of decoding, whether there's silicon for specific non-general texture decompression, that's another question. However, crunch, for example, is a relatively light decode. Maybe BCPack is heavier which is why MS included a decoder for it.
But you are countering assumption with assumption. This guy at least has worked with both Kraken and Zlib and praised MS for implementing texture compression, after 10 years or something like that. You also don't have to defend it here - it was only to give context as it is currently the only person that spoke about it publicly, at least I didn't find anything else.
And of course one can do whatever you want in terms of texture compression, the question is whether the ASIC can help you with it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
What gap do yo refer to exactly? The minor (20%) GPU gap or the 125% IO speed gap?

When will people understand the biggest difference between these to machines is, BY FAR, the SSD?
And even then, why are some ppl talking about 'closing the gap'?

Why does it have to be about console wars? I knew when this thread was made it was gonna happen, lol.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
It seems that Cerny has made a calculated gamble that a slightly weaker GPU wont be so noticable if you can optimise the rest of your system enough and get every drop out of your silicon, thus saving you a few bucks and selling the console a bit cheaper perhaps. And he is envisioning that the SSD will be a bigger differentiating factor for next gen than marginal gains in resolution and frame rate. Whether his gamble pays off remains to be seen, but I imagine a lot of his thinking is revolving around building the best system that allows their first party developers to do amazing things and not worrying so much about not always having the best version of multipats. I think exclusives will be the real battleground for these consoles, especially now that MS is investing in first party in a big way.

I don't understand this though, and its the same argument that we got when the One X came out. Im glad that both parties will now both be competing in the first party department, but why do people pretend that third party doesn't matter? It mattered when PS4 beat out Xbox one in 2013/2014, but it stopped mattering when One X came out and apparently doesn't matter now that XSX has more horsepower.

I'd say playing 90% of my library in higher resolutions, frame-rates and with better assets is a big deal. Especially now that the CPU gap has widened we will almost definitely see frame rate discrepancies in multi-plats. When Xbox one was down on specs, it mattered alot, when Xbox took the lead in specs (particularly the GPU), the GPU and resolution stopped mattering and frame-rates became important, now that XSX has a GPU and CPU advantage for resolution and frame rates, neither matter. To me, this is a big deal for first and third party games and im just confused why anybody would say that it doesn't matter.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
But you are countering assumption with assumption. This guy at least has worked with both Kraken and Zlib and praised MS for implementing texture compression, after 10 years or something like that. You also don't have to defend it here - it was only to give context as it is currently the only person that spoke about it publicly, at least I didn't find anything else.
And of course one can do whatever you want in terms of texture compression, the question is whether the ASIC can help you with it.

I don't think it's too big of an assumption to say there will be texture encoders like crunch available for PS5. There are all kinds of compression libs available for PS4. I think that's a smaller assumption than the assumption he starts with, that's my point.

If encoders like crunch are available for PS5 (I think so), and there is no hardware decode support for that, we can ask how that shakes out in saturating PS5's SSD bandwidth etc. What resources are needed for decode to saturate the raw bandwidth. But it's a different question than the one being asked there - and I think one that addresses the more likely scenario,

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Since 2.23 is the cap for the GPU and 3.5 is the cap for the CPU, with Cerny having said that it only takes a drop of a few % in clock speeds to drop the power draw by 10%... I can't imagine that either the GPU or CPU would clock down by very significant numbers right?

I'm very interested in knowing what the bottom is for either the CPU or GPU for the other to run at full speed.
are we ever going to know these data? do df or nx have some method to actually study this while in game or we have to wait official news from sony?

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's too big of an assumption to say there will be texture encoders like crunch available for PS5. There are all kinds of compression libs available for PS4. I think that's a smaller assumption than the assumption he starts with, that's my point.

If encoders like crunch are available for PS5 (I think so), and there is no hardware decode support for that, we can ask how that shakes out in saturating PS5's SSD bandwidth etc. What resources are needed for decode to saturate the raw bandwidth. But it's a different question than the one being asked there - and I think one that addresses the more likely scenario,
That's the good part in recent discussions as we don't know specifics, everyone can turn everything how he wants because nobody knows the specifics :)
Anyway, when it comes to software, anyone can use anything. RAD Game Tools build middleware and everyone can use it if they pay for it. This isn't even up to Sony or MS but every game studio out there.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

Well, in the minute 17:30 of the unveil, if i understood correctly, when talking about kraken, Cerny referred to a custom decompression chip builti n the IO unit, the one that in a very specific case could allow to reach 22GB/s

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That's the good part in recent discussions as we don't know specifics, everyone can turn everything how he wants because nobody knows the specifics :)
Anyway, when it comes to software, anyone can use anything. RAD Game Tools build middleware and everyone can use it if they pay for it. This isn't even up to Sony or MS but every game studio out there.

Correct... the only thing Sony/MS can 'do' here is offer certain licenses free, which they do. I think that's a little less meaningful nowadays than it was in the past though - so much is available more easily than ever, to anyone, in terms of tooling and libraries. There are still the odd bits of middleware that are expensive though, so for indies in particular it might be nice for the platform holders to continue to target those bits of software for inclusion in their own 'as standard' licensing. Anyway... we digress...

Well, in the minute 17:30 of the unveil, if i understood correctly, when talking about kraken, Cerny referred to a custom decompression chip builti n the IO unit, the one that in a very specific case could allow to reach 22GB/s

Yeah, that's the kraken decompressor. If there are others, they weren't mentioned. Well, I think there was mention of zlib also intitially, but for general purpose data decompression, Kraken seems to be their go-to.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Actually, resolution is not the only thing that impacts image quality. Stuff like higher quality assets and especially having more of them (also for distant objects) should drastically increase the perceived image quality. The SSD should help with streaming in those assets.

If the PS5 can use more memory for games, that can certainly give them an asset quality advantage, but I still haven't seen evidence that Cerny said this.

The fast NVMe is certainly interesting. I'm not quite convinced it won't still often be bottlenecked by CPU in many cases, but I can't wait to see devs try to take advantage of the SSDs on both consoles.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The more people I hear it from the more apparent it becomes that Sony designed their asses off with this console. It's inspired engineering on their part, and shows they have a dman good idea of where game design is headed. I'm sure that's helped by having their finger on the pulse of some of the most technically gifted studios, and their own industry pedigree with people like Mark Cerny in positions of leadership.

Shame they couldn't find a way to articulate fucking none of that in their presentation, despite Cerny's enthusiasm.

Mar 29, 2018

Or am I off base?
"Superior in blunt power", maybe. Not definitively "superior".

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
If the PS5 can use more memory for games, that can certainly give them an asset quality advantage, but I still haven't seen evidence that Cerny said this.

The fast NVMe is certainly interesting. I'm not quite convinced it won't still often be bottlenecked by CPU in many cases, but I can't wait to see devs try to take advantage of the SSDs on both consoles.
Regarding asset quality:

Regarding the SSD, it is not reliant on CPU - it has dedicated co-processors for management on wafer:
RSwL6Eq.jpg