• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
VGtech test

Xbox One X renders at a resolution of 3840x2160. PS4 Pro renders at a resolution of 3200x1800 and downsamples from this resolution when outputting at 1080p. PS4 renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080. Xbox One renders at a resolution of 1920x1080. PS4 Pro, Xbox One and Xbox One X seem to be using forms of Checkerboard Rendering to reach their stated resolutions. The Xbox One X has more effective antialiasing than the PS4 Pro

Framerate stats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...wJ-WCqoeedAI6kV9HBlFfGrLmw/edit#gid=673796961

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'd like to know what is it wrong about the RE engine and Xbox X hardware...it's not exactly normal that 4k native is blurried compared 1800p, FXAA or less. Doesn't make sense at all to me.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So much for that native 4K on PS4 Pro.

Don't be that guy.
Wat. Only you could believe 4k native on Pro. By the way is still an impressive achievement keep such fps at such res on Pro. But I don't understand why targeting 4k native on the X if they can't even keep the same fps and sharpness of the weaker counterpart.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Once again developers favoring increased resolutions over a locked 60fps framerate.

This shit is upside down.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
This kind of result is becoming quite the trend in 2019. Far Cry and other Western releases will probably see the situation inverted.

As long as it plays and looks as nice in multiple systems (the case here), it's a total success in my book.

Last edited:

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I want to know how the Pro does at 1080p.

It really depends on the game itself, almost all pro enabled games will supersample. The system SS is only for games that does not that which is a minority although it seems that more and more games do not do it (anthem, rdr2).

In any case I played a few rounds of the demo on my pro and I didn't really detect any frame drops personally. Not that I have laser eyes but I can feel when it's very off. This was 4k though and I might try 1080p with SS off just to see :)

Are there any common tools to "count" framerate if I capture the feed with a elgato 4k60 pro card? I think you need more advanced equipment to do it properly.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 having a better performance than XBX is quite the surprise here, and according to both Nx Gamer and VG tech stats. Also oddly VG tech finds 1800p on Pro.

And the TXAA on XBX isn't worth it. There is barealy noticeable aliasing on Pro. What's the point of 4K if it looks lower res than 1800p ?

PS4 Pro renders at a resolution of 3200x1800 and downsamples from this resolution when outputting at 1080p.
At 1080p the game downsamples by default on Pro according to VG Tech video.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Higher and seemingly more stable than RE2 on a base PS4, which I guess, is the best I'm going to get. I can't complain.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen the video yet (still not near a computer) but could it be because the X uses higher quality effects along with the higher base resolution ? Maybe Pro/PS4 use half or quarter resolution on some effects like it was the norm last gen ?

just speculating. NXGamer what say you ?
It does not look that way, aside the resolution and AA split the effects all look an exact match. But that ~50% increase in resolution on X is adding a great deal more load and bandwidth and the cutscenes use that lovely Bokeh sampled DoF which will eat into that more. Both combat and movie segments drop frames more often on X to Pro, I think a dip by 5-10% on each axis would bring the X more inline with the Pro, will have to wait and see what the final code brings.

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday i played the demo again and during gameplay I didn't really notice any dips really. Was smooth sailing most of the time. Cutscenes seem to have these dips only.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
It does not look that way, aside the resolution and AA split the effects all look an exact match. But that ~50% increase in resolution on X is adding a great deal more load and bandwidth and the cutscenes use that lovely Bokeh sampled DoF which will eat into that more. Both combat and movie segments drop frames more often on X to Pro, I think a dip by 5-10% on each axis would bring the X more inline with the Pro, will have to wait and see what the final code brings.

I'm sure final code will bring at least 30fps cutscenes, unlocked framerate in cutscenes in really unnecessary and waste of resources imo. And, NXGamer as a PS4 base player, I'm surprised by its performance which holds up toe to toe with the enchanted versions, especially when you compare DMC5 with all latest 60fps releases across all platforms.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 having a better performance than XBX is quite the surprise here, and according to both Nx Gamer and VG tech stats. Also oddly VG tech finds 1800p on Pro.

And the TXAA on XBX isn't worth it. There is barealy noticeable aliasing on Pro. What's the point of 4K if it looks lower res than 1800p ?

At 1080p the game downsamples by default on Pro according to VG Tech video.

Well, this is well within approximate figures, likely VG only counted 8-10 pixels which would have given them 8/10 or 10/12. The more you count the more precise the figure I got 12/15, 16/20 or 20/25 in terms of counting they are close enough at this level to be the same or fall either way and mine all come to 3072x1728.

I'm sure final code will bring at least 30fps cutscenes, unlocked framerate in cutscenes in really unnecessary and waste of resources imo. And, NXGamer as a PS4 base player, I'm surprised by its performance which holds up toe to toe with the enchanted versions, especially when you compare DMC5 with all latest 60fps releases across all platforms.

I did state this in my first look, but I think Resident Evil 2 shows it is likely to remain as is, the most important part is in gameplay the results are much better, if we remove the cut-scenes from the equation all version would be closer to 60 and that makes sense from the target.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Well, this is well within approximate figures, likely VG only counted 8-10 pixels which would have given them 8/10 or 10/12. The more you count the more precise the figure I got 12/15, 16/20 or 20/25 in terms of counting they are close enough at this level to be the same or fall either way and mine all come to 3072x1728.

I did state this in my first look, but I think Resident Evil 2 shows it is likely to remain as is, the most important part is in gameplay the results are much better, if we remove the cut-scenes from the equation all version would be closer to 60 and that makes sense from the target.

So...whats the avg framerate fot gameplay only. You know, the thing thats far more pressing than non interactive cutscenes?

I know you just said its far closer to 60 fps, but just wondering the differences between the 4 versions.

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible performance all around, considering the resolution.

The downsampling should help with the typical TAA blur, though I have to say it never bothered me in RE Engine games, for whatever reason. It's not that I don't notice it, because it's very noticeable, but it never detracts from the presentation. Played RE7 last month and I'm currently playing through RE2 and I think they both look phenomenal, even at lower resolutions, as low as 1080p for RE2, to keep the framerate locked at 60.

So I'll probably stay at 1080 in DMC5 too if it gives me perfectly smooth cutscenes.

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Looks better than Re2 in every god damn way. Still hard to believe that a dmc game looks better than an RE game. Such is the timeline that we live in.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Can pre-orders be cancelled on Xbox? I pre-ordered this on the X thinking it's going to deliver the best performance handily, but now I'd like wait and see if the Pro edges it.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
"Let's tone down the resolution a bit so we can get a really nice framerate..."

"Are you an idiot?!?! Pump it up even more!!!!"

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
So wait, if I have XOX and base PS4 and I want max possible FPS then I better go with PS4 version? Or is there performance mode on XOX to get stable 60?

Nov 2, 2017
I know for a game like this 60fps is the preferred but I wouldn't mind games including the option for choosing 30 and 60 fps caps. I've always felt a stable frame rate is nicer than a higher fluctuating one.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't understand what's the great deal to have 4k native if sharpness is not even better of a sub1800p. Just for pure math? I'm perfectly fine with 4k when result are like RDR2 but there with less stable fps? Why? If they wanted they could reach locked fps with the same res of Pro but now the obsession for 4k is just what count? Good times when videoanalyst found Far Cry 4 better on the Xbone for the performance and sub 1080p was barely perceivable.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
How many games did you know on Pro with such graphic and fps? Honestly I found the final result incredible.

Like I said multiple times here RE2 which has better graphics, higher assets and environments and much high quality ingame models runs with same exact resolution on both resolution on both XB O X and PS4 Pro minus the AA. DMC5 has worse quality AA on PS4 Pro (whcih I expected too) and both games run on the same engine so I expcetd the PS4 Pro to be at least dynamic 4K if we can make analogy to RE2 like I explained.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Like I said multiple times here RE2 which has better graphics, higher assets and environments and much high quality ingame models runs with same exact resolution on both resolution on both XB O X and PS4 Pro minus the AA. DMC5 has worse quality AA on PS4 Pro (whcih I expected too) and both games run on the same engine so I expcetd the PS4 Pro to be at least dynamic 4K if we can make analogy to RE2 like I explained.
RE2R runs around 1600CBR. Not native.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen the video yet (still not near a computer) but could it be because the X uses higher quality effects along with the higher base resolution ? Maybe Pro/PS4 use half or quarter resolution on some effects like it was the norm last gen ?

just speculating. NXGamer what say you ?

It doesn't seem to be the case and I watched all the comparison videos all version use the same assets and effects and there isn't any change in any version except the reoslution and AA. The PC version will be similar too.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Played it on Pro and was extremely pleased with the image quality and performance in gameplay. Game looks fantastic.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Now come on, you're just being unreasonable her PLASTICA-MAN. This game is pushing a higher resolution than RE2, seemingly running native instead of reconstructed and outperforming the much stronger Xbox X in terms of frame rate.

Well the rsolution seems to be fine since it is high enough on PS4 Pro and even if you are closer to the screen. just some lower AA which is lacking in some of the distant objects just like RE2. It's not a big deal. the game is really satisfying on the mid-gen consoles.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait to see how the PC version runs.

Also for Dictator 's smooth voice ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ah, thanks.

On that note, did you notice any performance or visual differences between the Xbox demo now and the one that came out last year ? Wondering if this new demo is a slice from the final game like that RE2 demo was.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why developers keep pushing crazy high resolutions when They haven't locked the frame rate down.

I don't want the game to run at 1000000Ă—1000000 If the frame rate is unstable!

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017

Capcom need to drop the native 4K resolution down on the X. I'm actually more impressed by the Pro, 1800p and higher framerate. Even base PS4 has better framerate than the X.

Screenshot-20190209-145734-You-Tube.jpg

Screenshot-20190209-150011-You-Tube.jpg

Screenshot-20190209-150153-You-Tube.jpg

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh, what's with the X's framerate issues? I bought this system so I could play the best versions of multiplatform titles. I can't wait for the next gen, where hopefully devs learn to prioritize the right things.

That said, I need my sexy demon boys in 4K, so Xbox it is.

Who am I kidding, I'll probably double dip, if not now then definitely for DMC5: Special Edition, if it happens.

Edit: This game of all games should have a graphics/performance mode toggle.

Disappointing performance, I don't know why they went with such high resolutions.
Graphics whores like me.

I'd go for PC but I hate the hassle of installation and troubleshooting.

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I know for a game like this 60fps is the preferred but I wouldn't mind games including the option for choosing 30 and 60 fps caps. I've always felt a stable frame rate is nicer than a higher fluctuating one.
For a game like DMC tho a slower FPS can make the action harder to follow and some of the precise timing based stuff harder to pull off.

5 does seem more easy going with this stuff however.

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, what's with the X's framerate issues?I bought this system so I could play the best versions of multiplatform titles. I can't wait for the next gen, where hopefully devs learn to prioritize the right things.

That said, I need my sexy demon boys in 4K, so Xbox it is.

Yeah, that's why i bought the X too but there are still multiplats that i buy on the Pro because the better performance. Ace Combat 7 is one of them and i will play DMC 5 also on the Pro. I wasn't expecting this!

X is native 4K but doesn't look sharper that the Pro because the AA solution. Compare both demos on your TV and see for yourself.