• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
We have a chance to taste Nero and Dante's return in DMCV thanks to another of Capcom's demo. No time limit here but we see a slightly expanded version than the Xbox Exclusive demo I covered in December. Join me as I find the devil in the details across all 4 console versions.

Summary:

PS4 Pro - static resolution 3072x1728p
Shaper less stable image on the Pro
90% of 60fps delivered during the analysis
Average frame-rate of 54

Xbox One X - full 4k 3840x2160p
Better form of anti aliasing
Softer stable image on the X
82% of 60fps delivered during the analysis
Average frame-rate of 49

PS4 - 1920x1080p
Roughly 10% better performance than the S
86% of 60fps delivered during the analysis

Xbox One S - 1920x1080p (possibly using reconstruction)
Pixel shader is cut back, dithered heavily on the S
Softer image than PS4
75% of 60fps delivered during the analysis

Last edited:

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
They should really consider having the cutscenes at 30 FPS, or at least have a performance mode at a lower resolution.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks NXGamer for this quick analysis, if I wasn't outside for the entire evening, would have loved to make this topic.

PS4 Pro - static resolution of 3072x1728p
Shaper less stable image on the Pro
90% of 60fps delivered during the analysis
Average frame-rate of 54

Xbox One X - full 4k 3840x2160p
Better form of anti aliasing
Softer stable image on the X

82% of 60fps delivered during the analysis
Average frame-rate of 49

I told y'all .. expect the same results as RE7 and RE2. Capcom seems to have settled on an engine profile for both Pro and X where Pro just uses TAA and X uses TAA + FXAA which causes it to look comparatively softer than Pro even if it's cleaner.

The difference in performance is the real eye opener here though. Didn't expect Pro to come out on top in performance so handily.

edit: Also I told ya PLASTICA-MAN .. 1600 to 1800p, don't expect native 4K on Pro.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I told y'all .. expect the same results as RE7 and RE2. Capcom seems to have settled on an engine profile for both Pro and X where Pro just uses TAA and X uses TAA + FXAA which causes it to look softer even if it's cleaner.

The difference in performance is the real eye opener here though. Didn't expect Pro to come out on top in performance so handily.

What I didn't expect was the base PS4 to perform better than the One X.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

I haven't seen the video yet (still not near a computer) but could it be because the X uses higher quality effects along with the higher base resolution ? Maybe Pro/PS4 use half or quarter resolution on some effects like it was the norm last gen ?

just speculating. NXGamer what say you ?

Additional information

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth noting that the reason the average framerate is so far from 60 is because the analysis includes cutscenes too where it's wildly fluctuating from 30s to 60. During gameplay most of these versions seem to hold 60fps well.

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017
Performance > resolution so the Pro wins here imo. X version is native 4K but has softer IQ, better AA than the Pro though.

I go for the Pro version this time. I'm a bit disappointed in the X performance with the heavy hitters of 2019 so far.

When i bought the X i thought i will buy every multiplatform game on this console, that's really not the case. Interesting.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I haven't seen the video yet (still not near a computer) but could it be because the X uses higher quality effects along with the higher base resolution ? Maybe Pro/PS4 use half or quarter resolution on some effects like it was the norm last gen ?

just speculating. NXGamer what say you ?

I didn't catch him suggest any of this. The one thing he did mention was slightly stronger bloom lighting, but NX thinks that's down to the TAA.

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017
It's worth noting that the reason the average framerate is so far from 60 is because the analysis includes cutscenes too where it's wildly fluctuating from During gameplay most of these versions seem to hold 60fps well.

That's true but the X drops under the 50fps in the Goliath fight. Pro version doesn't do that. This video confirms what i also noticed when playing both demos. It feels smoother to me on the Pro.

Last edited:

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's because X is at Native 4K. The higher/better resolution, the lower the frame rate seems to be the common theme. I'll be playing on PS4 Pro. Regardless, even on a base PS4 or Xbox One Slim, every game nowadays is like a 10/10 when it comes to graphics and visuals.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't catch him suggest any of this. The one thing he did mention was slightly stronger bloom lighting, but NX thinks that's down to the TAA.
OK.

Finally got to see the video, yeah no mention about that. In fact NXGamer says that all versions look similar at a glance unless you're playing side by side (or something like that) which sounds incredibly impressive optimization of tech TBH.

Capcom's RE Engine is the GoAT graphics tech of this generation so far.

It's worth noting that the reason the average framerate is so far from 60 is because the analysis includes cutscenes too where it's wildly fluctuating from 30s to 60. During gameplay most of these versions seem to hold 60fps well.

While this is true and can be remedied pretty easily by giving a 30 FPS lock on the cut-scenes, worth noting that the X seems to be as low as 10 FPS behind the Pro in some game play segments too. It's generally always a few FPS lower than Pro in the Goliath fight scenes in the video.

12ej1v.png

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, PS4 Pro running a demanding game like this at almost stable 60fps and in 1728p is impressive. Well optimized.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
The Xbox One X is the best version if you have a Freesync display in my opinion.

I'll be rocking the PS4 Pro version hoping for Sony to see there are a lot of users with Freesync TVs already.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
XB1X mainly seems to struggle with the cathedral falling apart and the lingering physics objects during the Goliath fight. It'll be interesting to see if there are many more instances of physics-based stuff in the rest of the game.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox One X is the best version if you have a Freesync display in my opinion.

I'll be rocking the PS4 Pro version hoping for Sony to see there are a lot of users with Freesync TVs already.
Well 48fps is still 48fps with or without freesync. It's just not jerky but it'd still feel worse than whatever Pro is running at.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
That's because X is at Native 4K. The higher/better resolution, the lower the frame rate seems to be the common theme. I'll be playing on PS4 Pro. Regardless, even on a base PS4 or Xbox One Slim, every game nowadays is like a 10/10 when it comes to graphics and visuals.

Yeah, this is somewhat true. Devs should prioritise target frame-rate on the One X.

OK.

Finally got to see the video, yeah no mention about that. In fact NXGamer says that all versions look similar at a glance unless you're playing side by side (or something like that) which sounds incredibly impressive optimization of tech TBH.

Capcom's RE Engine is the GoAT graphics tech of this generation so far.

Yup, I'm really impressed by the visuals on display, 60fps considered. This engine is going to do wonders next gen.

No chance of an performance mode on X is there?

With performance already being so close to 60fps? I doubt it.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Tried the demo on the Pro, the only real gripe I will continue to have with Capcom's games is that they only let you turn off CA on PC. I would absolutely love it if they give an option to turn off CA at least on consoles.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
They should really consider having the cutscenes at 30 FPS, or at least have a performance mode at a lower resolution.

Yeah, this. Seems like a waste of the OneX's extra power to run at 4k and have blurry AA to negate it somewhat.

They need a 1080p or 1440p performance mode option, but still keep the 4K/unlocked one for future proofing.

Yeah, I'm not sure why cutscenes are unlocked.

Perhaps to not limit performance with next gen around the corner where those might run maxed out?

Tried the demo on the Pro, the only real gripe I will continue to have with Capcom's games is that they only let you turn off CA on PC. I would absolutely love it if they give an option to turn off CA at least on consoles.

Yeah , they absolutely need a toggle for CA.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Perhaps to not limit performance with next gen around the corner where those might run maxed out?

If Capcom has this foresight then I'm good with their decision.

Will never happen because publishers can't show off and advertise frame rates but they can show off visuals and advertise how great the visuals look.

DMC5 looks great even on the base PS4. What good is resolution if you don't have stable frame-rate?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One S version seems kinda scuffed, getting like 50FPS on average during game play. Base PS4 or higher is the way to go IMO.

And they never really said it was native 4K for PS4 Pro, just for XBX. I just said that in the other thread as well.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DMC5 looks great even on the base PS4. What good is resolution if you don't have stable frame-rate?

I agree with you but it's not something that publishers will ever prioritize because they can't market frame rate. Until joining GAF in 2014 or so, I didn't know what frame rates and all this other technical shit was. I know the basics but advanced shit, still don't have a clue. All I care about is does it run and play well enough to where I can enjoy it, there's no lag/delay and no bugs/glitches, etc.

Now imagine majority of gamers out there who know less than me and just buy/play games and aren't on forums, sites, message boards, etc. Now you know why publishers prioritize graphics/visuals/resolution above all else.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez even premium consoles can't come close to holding 60fps especially during the cutscenes where they plummet to 40's. Wonder if forcing the pro to 1080p/disabling SS will give it a rock solid 60fps during cutscenes and gameplay, if so it will be by far the best way to play the game excluding the PC version.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yeah, I prefer leaving it unlocked for that reason, but a performance mode toggle in the mean time would be great, as that could be a year or more off.

We can certainly hope for a locked performance mode. Let's see.

I agree with you but it's not something that publishers will ever prioritize because they can't market frame rate. Until joining GAF in 2014 or so, I didn't know what frame rates and all this other technical shit was. I know the basics but advanced shit, still don't have a clue. All I care about is does it run and play well enough to where I can enjoy it, there's no lag/delay and no bugs/glitches, etc.

Now imagine majority of gamers out there who know less than me and just buy/play games and aren't on forums, sites, message boards, etc. Now you know why publishers prioritize graphics/visuals/resolution above all else.

I completely agree with the gist of your argument. But this minority is big enough for some devs to consider.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez even premium consoles can't come close to holding 60fps especially during the cutscenes where they plummet to 40's. Wonder if forcing the pro to 1080p/disabling SS will give it a rock solid 60fps during cutscenes and gameplay, if so it will be by far the best way to play the game excluding the PC version.
It doesn't matter that the cutscenes aren't 60FPS. Hell on the PS3, DMC4's cutscenes were 30FPS. It just needs to be as close to 60FPS as possible during game play and anything thats base PS4 or higher does it job. It's just the Xbox S that's lagging behind in performance for game play.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter that the cutscenes aren't 60FPS. Hell on the PS3, DMC4's cutscenes were 30FPS. It just needs to be as close to 60FPS as possible during game play and anything thats base PS4 or higher does it job. It's just the Xbox S that's lagging behind in performance for game play.

Its all about consistency, its jarring to me to go from smooth 60fps gameplay to shitty performance during cutscenes,I'll be getting this on PC so i'll have the best of both worlds but if I was getting it on pro i'd gladly force 1080p if it ment getting vastly better performance.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I completely agree with the gist of your argument. But this minority is big enough for some devs to consider.

Not if the big enough part is just the minority. It has to be the vast majority which it simply isn't. Personally for me, it all depends on the game itself. If it's for example the upcoming Rage 2 than it should be a locked 60FPS because the shooting is fast paced and the frame rate needs to be there to keep up with the fast paced movement and shooting. For a game like Metro Exodus, a locked 30FPS would be perfectly fine because it's a slow methodical stealth based exploration game. You're not going to be moving even half as fast as you would in Rage 2 or say Doom from 2016.

For third person games, im perfectly fine with a locked 30FPS and prefer it over an unlocked 60FPS because then, the frame rate is going to vary throughout your play-through and I would rather have the stable locked 30FPS. For a game like DMC 5 which is fast paced but it's in third person, not first which when playing, you can feel the difference and why 60FPS is needed for first person but not necessary for third person. And again, I would rather have a locked 30FPS for DMC 5 as opposed to one minute, it's 60FPS, the next 45FPS, the next low 30's, etc. I prefer it to be stable and simply "set" throughout.

All depends on the game, genre and perspective. I play only on consoles and for example, I know Far Cry always runs at 30FPS and honestly, I have never had any issues whatsoever. If anything, it's more about the optimization and the development team taking their time to correctly optimize the frame rate. Kind of like they have to do with HDR but usually don't.

I downloaded the demo but haven't played it yet but im not anticipating or expecting any issues whatsoever on PS4 Pro. Simply, I care about the stability and the consistency more than I do a higher frame rate that's not stable, not consistent and jumping all over the damn place.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointing performance, I don't know why they went with such high resolutions.

Last edited: