• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That's what I've been saying. Cyberpunk has "bundled in with the newest GPU" written all over it.

It's so obvious. Nvidia have the deal with cyberpunk already and really want something to deflate the new console hype after the mediocre 2000 series launch and sales.

All eyes on nvidia to make this range a hit. I put money that its prices better and performs great.

Nov 8, 2017
It's so obvious. Nvidia have the deal with cyberpunk already and really want something to deflate the new console hype after the mediocre 2000 series launch and sales.

All eyes on nvidia to make this range a hit. I put money that its prices better and performs great.

Nvidia cards don't launch with bundles generally, at least not the top tier ones. That comes a few months later by my recollection.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
If you've got a 2080 ti I'd still grab Cyberpunk and play it. Seems like you'd be punishing yourself trying to not see any spoilers for months.
My current setup is 980Ti SLI (which I bought specifically for Witcher 3 at the time), so yeah, I need to upgrade to fully enjoy Cyberpunk... And I don't think that buying a 2080Ti this close to the 30xx series release is a very good idea, especially since it's rather hard to sell used cards where I live.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Assuming for the moment the rumour that the cards are going to be announced during Nvidia's GTC keynote is accurate, there's no way they've been pencilled in for H2, let alone September specifically. That'd mean Nvidia sitting on them for upwards of half a year.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
I think it will be more than 25%. I say, double that

Like I said, I think that depends on if we're talking the big chip vs the big chip or not. I only expect we'll see TA102 (or whatever product code these use, 3080ti basically) day one in the event that TA104 (3080) is not powerful enough to exceed TU102 (2080ti) in gaming performance.

In a comparison between the 3080 and the 2080ti, a 15-30% performance increase would be the ballpark I'd expect roughly. But if we are strictly talking about 3080ti to 2080ti, a mere 25-30% boost would be disappointing.

Nov 8, 2017
Assuming for the moment the rumour that the cards are going to be announced during Nvidia's GTC keynote is accurate, there's no way they've been pencilled in for H2, let alone September. That'd mean Nvidia sitting on them for upwards of half a year.

You're correct that there's a 0% chance they announce them 6 months before launch. But they might announce the architecture name that early, even if they don't reveal any products. Like, in the form of a roadmap or something. We haven't had one for ages!

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I would expect new cards to massively improve Ray Tracing performance - well over 50% more. It's ludicrous that more and more people are running at 4K, but have to drop that down or use stuff like DLSS to have ray tracing and I think Nvidia knows that.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Well Steve from GN explained how manufacturing works for GPUs other day. They are making cards before Chinese Lunar Year or after. So it is safe to say that they probably didn't even start to mass produce cards yet. And with current situation in China there is chance that they won't start until mid February. So I wouldn't expect these cards in first half of the year. Maybe in June but not before.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming for the moment the rumour that the cards are going to be announced during Nvidia's GTC keynote is accurate, there's no way they've been pencilled in for H2, let alone September specifically. That'd mean Nvidia sitting on them for upwards of half a year.
My expectations currently are:
* GA100/AM100 at GTC, HPC chip with new HBM2 from Samsung. It'll probably be around 25-30 TFlops FP32.
* GA104/AM104 in May with mid-June release and Computex showing. Likely something along the lines of 64 SMs / 4096 SPs / 2.2 GHz so around 18 Tflops FP32.
* GA102/AM102 in August with autumn release and Siggraph showing but used for a new Titan card only. 96 SMs? A "Ti" card on it no sooner than in 2021.
* GA106/AM106 around the same time as 102 but with back to school release. 40-48 SMs? Around 13.5 Tflops at 2.2 GHz.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I expect 50% perf increase across similar tiered GPUs and another price hike if theres no high end AMD GPU yet

Clessidor

Oct 30, 2017
Should I buy an RTX 2060 Super or should I wait RTX 3060 :D
The question is: Do you need a new GPU now or are you satisfied with your current setup? If it's still fine, then wait until it isn't. And if you need an upgrade, I would say go for it. There is always something hot and new on the horizon. The 2060 Super is a good card, that would make you happy.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Power draw wise how much lower are the super versions compared to the originals?
They're all higher

SUPER-Power-Draw.png

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
The question is: Do you need a new GPU now or are you satisfied with your current setup? If it's still fine, then wait until it isn't. And if you need an upgrade, I would say go for it. There is always something hot and new on the horizon. The 2060 Super is a good card, that would make you happy.
I have no GPU at all. I'm rocking an Intel UHD Graphics 630

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I haven't been following rumors ever closely lately. Why do you expect the ti to release a year later than the other 3000 series GPUs?

Been pretty much NV tradition up until 2000 series.

xx80 is top dog of consumer card for 6 to 9 monts and then Ti drops.

There is no reason to think NV wouldn't go back to that model, gets a lot xx80 people double tip for that extra performance.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Been pretty much NV tradition up until 2000 series.

xx80 is top dog of consumer card for 6 to 9 monts and then Ti drops.

There is no reason to think NV wouldn't go back to that model, gets a lot xx80 people double tip for that extra performance.
Well, hopefully my 1080ti can push Cyberpunk at 1440p at or above 60 FPS until we hear more about the 3080ti. I love my current card so I'm expecting it should do just fine.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I just want a gaming laptop with better heating power draw/heating around 6 TFLOPs than the 200x series. Waiting on ampere, but I'm getting worried

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
Remember when Nvidia announced the 7800 GTX and released it the same day like 15 years ago?

Please do it again thanks.

Nov 8, 2017
I haven't been following rumors ever closely lately. Why do you expect the ti to release a year later than the other 3000 series GPUs?

That's how it went for Kepler, Maxwell and Pascal. They introduced the Titan before they introduced the equivalent x80Ti. For Maxwell and Pascal the x80 launched a very long time before the ti, like 6-9 months. Kepler was sort of a transition period but the 600 series is basically like "year one Kepler" and 700 was "year 2 Kepler", whereas the ones after Kepler simply switched to an official two year cadence instead of doing a whole new range every year, but technologically it went similarly with little Kepler one year, then the Titan, then the cheaper Titan derivative the next year.

Now you might say "why wouldn't they follow Turing's lead if they changed things? Why expect it to go back to the old trend?" The reason we expect it to go back is because the reason they didn't do it for Turing and went for a simultaneous launch was because Big Turing was necessary to outperform the 1080ti from the previous gen. For Kepler, Maxwell and Pascal the 104 class chip (680, 980, 1080) outperformed the preceding generation's top chip meaningfully. For Turing, the 2080 was about equal to the 1080ti. This meant that if they didn't launch 2080ti, there was no upgrade path for 1080ti users. Thus, they had no real choice but to release it.

Since we expect Ampere to have closer to a normal generational uplift over Turing thanks to the big node shrink, we also expect them to release 3080 but not 3080ti day one.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
So going from a 1080 to a 3xxx card. For 144hz 1440p gaming, would a 3080TI be overkill? That's my current eye on the prize.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
So going from a 1080 to a 3xxx card. For 144hz 1440p gaming, would a 3080TI be overkill? That's my current eye on the prize.
I don't think it's overkill. I mean, the 2080ti can't max Red Dead Redemption at 1440p@60. Doesn't even come close.
I hope the 3080ti can, with a little headroom. I'd like 4k/60+ but, I don't want to put toooo much hope into it lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for these new cards. Went from a 1060 3GB to a 2060 and recently got a 2080Ti. I've enjoyed the 2060 and 2080Ti. Excited to see the 3080Ti.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
That's how it went for Kepler, Maxwell and Pascal. They introduced the Titan before they introduced the equivalent x80Ti. For Maxwell and Pascal the x80 launched a very long time before the ti, like 6-9 months. Kepler was sort of a transition period but the 600 series is basically like "year one Kepler" and 700 was "year 2 Kepler", whereas the ones after Kepler simply switched to an official two year cadence instead of doing a whole new range every year, but technologically it went similarly with little Kepler one year, then the Titan, then the cheaper Titan derivative the next year.

Now you might say "why wouldn't they follow Turing's lead if they changed things? Why expect it to go back to the old trend?" The reason we expect it to go back is because the reason they didn't do it for Turing and went for a simultaneous launch was because Big Turing was necessary to outperform the 1080ti from the previous gen. For Kepler, Maxwell and Pascal the 104 class chip (680, 980, 1080) outperformed the preceding generation's top chip meaningfully. For Turing, the 2080 was about equal to the 1080ti. This meant that if they didn't launch 2080ti, there was no upgrade path for 1080ti users. Thus, they had no real choice but to release it.

Since we expect Ampere to have closer to a normal generational uplift over Turing thanks to the big node shrink, we also expect them to release 3080 but not 3080ti day one.
Amazing post. Thanks you

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
There's no overkill with GPUs, they are all underkill, target has escaped.

50% boost or bust. Preferrably 200000% but 75% would be very nice too. Less than 50 is a dissappointment tbh, it's next-gen time.