• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
There's a branch of UE4 with DLSS built in now, so it should only be a matter of time
Engine support or engine provider process automation had to happen and glad it is already happening. Other big ones like Frostbite, Unity, Diuna or Snowdrop will probably follow sooner rather then later.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if Nintendo would consider designing the Switch 2 around this in mind. Yes they would have to add Tensor cores, but the trade off then could possibly be that Switch 2 games only need to render at ridiculously low resolutions, like say 480p undocked and only 600p or 720p docked to achieve 1080p-1440p+.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember people on this forum shitting on ray tracing and saying its just better reflections , before new consoles got announced . Good times
It's always like that.
  1. Feature gets announced. Only cutting-edge PC hardware that supports it gets released.
  2. Gets shit on by everyone that cannot get said feature (customers from the oppossing "team" and console fanbase)
  3. Opposing team announces hardware for feature, their customers praise it.
  4. Console makers announce hardware for feature, their customers praise it.
  5. Users that defended said feature back when it was first revealed sigh simultanously because now people realize "feature is good and is the future".
Too true.

Happened with variable refresh rates too

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say so..

control-nvidia-dlss-2.0-comparison-004.png

Holy crap.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I hope games that support DLSS 2.0 will automatically be supported by any further improvements to the tech. As in, they will benefit from future updates to the AI training, if that makes sense.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope games that support DLSS 2.0 will automatically be supported by any further improvements to the tech. As in, they will benefit from future updates to the AI training, if that makes sense.
They will be. As more games gain support, older games that support 2.0 will get better through Nvidia driver updates

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is there any chance that something like this can be implemented in the next gen consoles? AMD's answer to DLSS basically

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This technology is super cool, but does anyone else find it a little concerning that Control with RT at 4K and DLSS just barely scrapes above 60FPS on a $1000 GPU? It's already an impressive showcase, but what is going to happen once new consoles raise the bottom line for game development? I guess 1440p can mitigate this a bit, but DLSS is already supposed to drop the actual rendering cost to similar levels.

Then again, maybe full RT will be fairly niche with the PS5 coming in at only 36CUs. Excited to see what the Nvidia 3000s series has in store at the very least.

Ehh... we are on the cusp of a new GPU generation. I wouldnt really look at it that way. Its like thinking about PS4 performance when PS5 launches later this year. We will get new GPU's soon. This last gen is still 1000 because it hasnt been replaced yet, but its coming.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Is there any chance that something like this can be implemented in the next gen consoles? AMD's answer to DLSS basically
Absolutely. Nobody can say what the overhead and results would be, but there isn't an obvious technical reason why next-gen machines can't do it.

I am expecting will see it with MS' machines. MS is at the forefront of ML research, and they've made a substantial technical commitment to supporting ML workloads at improved efficiency with XSX's support for reduced precision operations.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Just let us turn it on for every game, with glitches and all that I don't care,

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019

Don't think there is much hope for dedicated hardware like tensor cores being present, microsoft have directml though so could possibly see that used for a similar thing. If they can achieve dlss 2.0 levels without tensor core style hardware will have to wait and see. There are some games using dlss without running it on the tensor cores, control was 1 and I think there was another but that improved control dlss is usng the hardware apparently.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Issue with DLSS in Control was that it looked poor in motion. Watching the video, DLSS 2.0 seems to improves this. So looking forward to trying it out.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think there is much hope for dedicated hardware like tensor cores being present, microsoft have directml though so could possibly see that used for a similar thing. If they can achieve dlss 2.0 levels without tensor core style hardware will have to wait and see. There are some games using dlss without running it on the tensor cores, control was 1 and I think there was another but that improved control dlss is usng the hardware apparently.
Nah, there's only Control. It was considered "DLSS 1.9". Every game before that used the tensor cores.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Unlikely - the tensor cores are totally separate from the shaders etc, therefore there is no impact on performance when using them. Whereas the DirectML method is literally taking FLOPS away from rendering.

The fact that Nvidia is doubling down on the tensor cores by the way of DLSS 2.0 means we'll no doubt see them continue in Ampere.
You mean after that :D Every game before Youngblood i think didn't use tensor cores.
They did. It's only Control that doesn't.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I think MS will do it in some way since they have int 8 and int 4 support and have demonstrated it in the past in prototyping on Forza - and it is faster rate (a multplicative amount faster than 1:1 TF for fp 32). Sony did not seemingly add this functionality to PS5, or at least, did not at all talk about it.

That int8 support MS added is like 8x slower than the tensor core in a RTX 2080 I think, but still, it is supported.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It should show up in more games now that there isn't a training cost for developers

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I think MS will do it in some way since they have int 8 and int 4 support and have demonstrated it in the past in prototyping on Forza - and it is faster rate (a multplicative amount faster than 1:1 TF for fp 32). Sony did not seemingly add this functionality to PS5, or at least, did not at all talk about it.

That int8 support MS added is like 8x slower than the tensor core in a RTX 2080 I think, but still, it is supported.
The biggest problem is that it uses shader cores, so its not free like in Tensor cores, but the it will still be very impactful for performance.
I actually think console games will use dynamic upscaling with DLSS like solutions in games.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I play at 1440p but with this I can now get 1080p performance while it looking like a 1440p image? Nice

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The biggest problem is that it uses shader cores, so its not free like in Tensor cores, but the it will still be very impactful for performance.
I actually think console games will use dynamic upscaling with DLSS like solutions in games.
Yeah that is indeed a problem. It requires taking away resources on xsx, where it is offloaded on Turing (still takes time of course for execution)

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

So does this basically mean this entire tech is off the cards for PS5 from what we know?

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So does this basically mean this entire tech is off the cards for PS5 from what we know?
Andrew Goosen said, they added the Integr support on the XSX, but I don't really believe Sony has nothing on that front to offer. Could also be part of RDNA2, in response to the Turing Tensor Cores. I think Machine Learning will be very important in the next generation, way beyond reconstructing images. It would be foolish from Sony to not incorporate hardware support for ML in some way.

Nov 8, 2017

Not necessarily. Even if they didn't have explicit acceleration it may still be possible at a lower performance level. But idk what kind of penalty that might be. And it may have the same features just not currently disclosed. Not much point speculating with so many unknowns.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
For now, as Sony hasnt said anything, its not totally of the charts, but could be extremely expensive to the point of not being worth it.

Oof. Hoping that's not true.

Andrew Goosen said, they added the Integr support on the XSX, but I don't really believe Sony has nothing on that front to offer. Could also be part of RDNA2, in response to the Turing Tensor Cores. I think Machine Learning will be very important in the next generation, way beyond reconstructing images. It would be foolish from Sony to not incorporate hardware support for ML in some way.

That's what I'm hoping for I guess yeah.

Not necessarily. Even if they didn't have explicit acceleration it may still be possible at a lower performance level. But idk what kind of penalty that might be. And it may have the same features just not currently disclosed. Not much point speculating with so many unknowns.

Right yeah. This is probably my biggest concern with the PS5 at the moment. Hope RDN2 does have something like this.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
they do, but I've always presumed it was paid for or at the very least by application ,hence such low support for something that gives such large free benefits.
Actually having to pay to get results like dlss 1.0? If that is the case then it doesn't surprise me that there was poor support.

On the other hand I'm not sure Nvidia could charge for that, even if was good. They would have needed a critical mass in order to convince others to use the service.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Trying to learn all about this now so pardon me if this was already answered.

Is DLSS only available on RTX cards? My 1080Ti FTW3 cannot use this tech?

Also...

Is this an option that only available for certain games? Meaning not in the nvidia CPL, but rather game devs have to add a graphics options for DLSS?

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Trying to learn all about this now so pardon me if this was already answered.

Is DLSS only available on RTX cards? My 1080Ti FTW3 cannot use this tech?

Also...

Is this an option that only available for certain games? Meaning not in the nvidia CPL, but rather game devs have to add a graphics options for DLSS?
Only Turing cards (yours is not supported) and it's a graphics options that needs to be made for the game.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
It's great to see the tech developing and the PC space not just putting all their money in brute forcing stuff. Optimization and "cost-saving" are the core of making technology improve, all this power can be used more efficiently if they aren't stuck to the same old tech. Ray-tracing getting better and better solutions that aren't only hardware upgrades means more hopeful implementations on Console eventualy, even if it is not this tech.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
im still unclear as to whether Turing can do other work concurrently or if tensor cores saturate the shared resources too heavily
If you look at Nsight, you can see how it happens always at the very end of a frame generation when nothing else is happening anyway since the frame has already been composed. I guess we would have to learn that by looking at tensor core usage for something like a ML denoiser, which would occur earlier.