• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The downside is that these techniques are have a sort of distinctly "neural network" look to it, like a sharpening filter applied to an oil painting. It's subtle, but once you see enough of these, you'll notice it.
That is what happened in the old type. The new type does not look oil painty. 2.0 works very differently

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
That is what happened in the old type. The new type does not look oil painty. 2.0 works very differently

That's good to hear. I was mostly talking in the broad sense, especially w/ regards to neural network texture mods, but those are working with really low-res images to begin with so they'll naturally look more artificial.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm looking forward to trying this out in control too. Game actually had dlss ultrawde support.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Realistically, can a improved version of this tech be in the Switch 2? It seems to me it could be a great tool for developers downporting from PS5/XSX

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I still remember people on this forum shitting on ray tracing and saying its just better reflections , before new consoles got announced . Good times
It's always like that.
  1. Feature gets announced. Only cutting-edge PC hardware that supports it gets released.
  2. Gets shit on by everyone that cannot get said feature (customers from the oppossing "team" and console fanbase)
  3. Opposing team announces hardware for feature, their customers praise it.
  4. Console makers announce hardware for feature, their customers praise it.
  5. Users that defended said feature back when it was first revealed sigh simultanously because now people realize "feature is good and is the future".

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It is funny seeing the same posters who shat on ray tracing suddenly champion it as Microsoft's trump card over Sony.
clearly those people dont understand anything , since ps5 ssd gonna make up the difference in cpu, memory and gpu and gonna revolutionize gaming as we know it, guys

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Looking at the demo for Cyberpunk with neon lights and computer screens everywhere. Definitely gonna need this to play that game with raytraced lighting. I really hope they have RTX and DLSS ready by launch like Control did.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's always like that.
  1. Feature gets announced. Only cutting-edge PC hardware that supports it gets released.
  2. Gets shit on by everyone that cannot get said feature (customers from the oppossing "team" and console fanbase)
  3. Opposing team announces hardware for feature, their customers praise it.
  4. Console makers announce hardware for feature, their customers praise it.
  5. Users that defended said feature back when it was first revealed sigh simultanously because now people realize "feature is good and is the future".

Sums it up perfectly!

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
1800p was the old arbitrary resolution detractors stated to use to match DLSS 1.0, I wonder what the new suggested resolution will be now.
It wasn't arbitrary. On early versions of DLSS that resolution was a close match for DLSS performance at 4K, and in many cases *did* offer better IQ. Not since Control though.

Lets not pretend DLSS wasn't crap at first. It was. Same with v1.0 RT implementations. But that's kind of to be expected with any new technology. Initial implementations aren't going to tell you exactly how good it can get, and its always worth waiting a while to see where the ceiling might be.

Anyone who really believed reflections at 1080p in Battlefield 5 represented the high end for this, was clearly ignoring how these changes have gone in the past.

Edit: and lets also forget it's not 'free' in the sense that if you have an RTX card, you paid for the silicon that's handling DLSS and in games that don't use DLSS, those tensor cores aren't doing anything.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Are they actually calling it 2.0? I remember watching that Hardware Unboxed video where he came up with the term to distinguish the (three?) versions and though 'oh boy, Nvidia aren't going to happy with him versioning it like that'. But I guess they're running with it!

Tim must feel pretty good knowing he has that sort of influence. Lmao

I wish 4A would update Metro Exodus' DLSS!

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
It wasn't arbitrary. On early versions of DLSS that resolution was a close match for DLSS performance at 4K, and in many cases *did* offer better IQ. Not since Control though.

Lets not pretend DLSS wasn't crap at first. It was. Same with v1.0 RT implementations. But that's kind of to be expected with any new technology. Initial implementations aren't going to tell you exactly how good it can get, and its always worth waiting a while to see where the ceiling might be.

Anyone who really believed reflections at 1080p in Battlefield 5 represented the high end for this, was clearly ignoring how these changes have gone in the past.

Battlefield and FFXV were crap. Metro Exodus got its DLSS updated in less than two weeks after release which made the videos comparing its pre patched version to 1800p outdated. Its markedly improved and few bothered to cover it.

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Battlefield and FFXV were crap. Metro Exodus got its DLSS updated in less than two weeks after release which made the videos comparing its pre patched version to 1800p outdated. Its markedly improved and few bothered to cover it.

the update just made it as good as bog standard resolution upscaling. better in some ways and worse in others. it still had that very undesirable water color paint look. wolfenstein is the first use case of value.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Does this mean dlss will have better ultrawide support now?

DLSS was supported for ultrawides, as long as your ultrawide was a standard 21:9 model.

I hope that the new patch will a) support super ultrawide resolutions and b) support DLSS for those.

That performance upgrade is no joke. I had to play Control with raytracing in 3840x1080 with image sharpening because DLSS was not supported at patched 5120x1440 and that resolution ran at about 20 fps on a 2080 Ti. With DLSS enabled I expect to enjoy full super ultrawide without problems. For the record 5120x1440 is 1M pixels less than 4K 16:9.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a 2070 previously. I'm not the only one saying it doesn't look too hot.
You went from a 2070 to a 5700xt? Ouch. Your previous GPU was much more future proof with DX12 Ultimate support. Can't you get it back?

Btw, control used DLSS 1.9 which looks okay but not very good either. DLSS 2.0 comes this week for control and Dlss 2.0 looks so much better.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You went from a 2070 to a 5700xt? Ouch. Your previous GPU was much more future proof with DX12 Ultimate support. Can't you get it back?

Btw, control used DLSS 1.9 which looks okay but not very good either. DLSS 2.0 comes this week for control and Dlss 2.0 looks so much better.

I prefer to have HDR and freesync than RTX at this time. If that changes I will sell the 5700 xt and upgrade.

More likely I'll keep the rig as is and get a PS5 or XSX.

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
This is great, its' a solid AA solution and a fantastic performance saver. Can't wait for control DLC.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder if the console manufacturers could make their own implementation. That could allow for a good boost in performance / headroom for RT.

Nov 20, 2019
So on a 2060 4k goes from unplayable to "pretty nice". Can't wait for DLSS 2.0 to come to many more games... and with rey tracing features plz

11015.jpg
LOL