• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If you look at Nsight, you can see how it happens always at the very end of a frame generation when nothing else is happening anyway since the frame has already been composed. I guess we would have to learn that by looking at tensor core usage for something like a ML denoiser, which would occur earlier.
But can work on the next frame start while tensors are working on the reconstruction of the current frame?

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked it out in Control. Looks really good, almost like native. It's a little blurrier though and things get weird on hair and reflections. They have kind of a watercolor appearance, which is weird because the overall style is extremely realistic.

Performance, however, feels much better. No formal tests or anything but the 70% improvement claim doesn't seem far fetched.

Yeah nevermind, was not using 2.0 (it's out later)

Last edited:

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked it out in Control. Looks really good, almost like native. It's a little blurrier though and things get weird on hair and reflections. They have kind of a watercolor appearance, which is weird because the overall style is extremely realistic.

Performance, however, feels much better. No formal tests or anything but the 70% improvement claim doesn't seem far fetched.
Isnt Control update with DLSS 2.0 out in two days?

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Isnt Control update with DLSS 2.0 out in two days?

Wow apparently I need some glasses. I didn't use DLSS on my first playthrough so I guess I'm still kind of impressed by how it looks.... I'll amend my earlier post though, sorry for the misinformation, lol

I'm at home and REALLY bored and antsy, so....

Alexx

Oct 27, 2017
DLSS 2.0 is game changing. Just when I thought AMD might have had a chance to finally catch up in GPU performance, Nvidia gets another huge performance gain.

On the downside for us Ryzen owners though, as DLSS 2.0 in performance mode is upscaling from 1080p that means the slower clock speed of Ryzen will become very apparent in future titles. Hopefully Zen 3 can finally match Intel at lower resolutions or switching back to Intel whenever they add PCIe 4.0 might be better in the long run.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Tensors and SIMDs can't work concurrently in Turing due to internal bandwidth constraints.
Been wondering this since truing launch. Thx. Perhaps consoles can alleviate some of the deficit by running the 4/8 bit shader work concurrently during other parts of the frame where shading isnt a bottleneck.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps consoles can alleviate some of the deficit by running the 4/8 bit shader work concurrently during other parts of the frame where shading isnt a bottleneck.
If you can run something concurrently on main SIMDs you can also do this on tensor array instead.
INTs, especially 4-bit ones, are highly unlikely to be suitable for any kind of modern graphics workload.

Does that mean the tensor cores can't be used for anything other than post process effects?
They can be used for whatever engine wants them to use, they'll just stall the main SIMDs while active and the engine must take this into account.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If you look at Nsight, you can see how it happens always at the very end of a frame generation when nothing else is happening anyway since the frame has already been composed. I guess we would have to learn that by looking at tensor core usage for something like a ML denoiser, which would occur earlier.
I'd assume (perhaps incorrectly) the tensor cores would be calculating motion vectors or whatever from previous frames to have that information ready for when the new frame is finished composing.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you can run something concurrently on main SIMDs you can also do this on tensor array instead.
INTs, especially 4-bit ones, are highly unlikely to be suitable for any kind of modern graphics workload.

They can be used for whatever engine wants them to use, they'll just stall the main SIMDs while active and the engine must take this into account.
If I have developed a new physics system that uses machine learning, would make it sense to run that on the tensor cores? Because that physics system should run all the time while the shader cores are doing their graphics job,no? So in that scenario the Tensor Cores would stall the shader cores and thus, these kinds of workloads are not possible. Or am I missing something?

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I feel like PC tech went a bit crazy with IQ. Its really hard to see the difference with all the AA options especially compared to older PC games when you were comparing turning on and off effects or swapping between Direct X versions.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like PC tech went a bit crazy with IQ. Its really hard to see the difference with all the AA options especially compared to older PC games when you were comparing turning on and off effects or swapping between Direct X versions.
Specially when you play the game at a confortable distance from the monitor. If you get 5 inches form the screen to see the differences of course you are going to see discrepancies between DLSS, native and whatnot. Just enjoy the game from your seat. Worry less, game more.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

I mean consoles trying to run a DLSS like solution. RDNA 2 supports multiple rate 4/8 bit speed up.

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the difference lies in performance. getting the best IQ to maximize frame rate. if that means a native 1080p render looking nearly as good as 4K, then by all means, that's the direction we should be heading

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i played metro last year on game pass and tested out the DLSS and let me tell you i was not impressed (2080S)

control after this update looks good though
a shame it's not getting updated cause of all the games that could use DLSS 2.0, it's Metro (and Control)

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I tested both Deliver Us the Moon and Wolfenstein Youngblood in 3440x1440, everything max settings, and DLSS Performance basically more than doubles the frame rate, while looking near indistinguishable from native resolution. It is absolutely astonishing to me. Things don't even look over sharpened, and I usually dont use or keep very low sharpening filters. It just looks really good.

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
Control Patch is downloading on Epic, I'm assuming this is the one with DLSS 2.0??

EDIT: can confirm it is in, you get 3 resolution options and they look great!

Last edited:

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
Dlc is out tomorrow so might just be related to that

Have just played around, it is the patch for the DLC, and includes the new DLSS 2.0 mode and the other content they said was coming. Sat up close to my screen, I would say the level of detail has been improved compared to the old DLSS model they used, but you may spot more sharpening artifacts if you are sat too close to the screen.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have just played around, it is the patch for the DLC, and includes the new DLSS 2.0 mode and the other content they said was coming. Sat up close to my screen, I would say the level of detail has been improved compared to the old DLSS model they used, but you may spot more sharpening artifacts if you are sat too close to the screen.
I don't think this is the new DLSS yet. It actually performs worse for me and image quality looks not much improved.
Edit: might want to correct my statement. Image quality is definately improved, small things like fences look better than native resolution now. So this seems like an early DLSS 2.0 version running on the shader cores.

It shows one render resolution more, but DLSS 2.0 is actually named "Performance, Balanced and Quality" here it's just the render resolutions.

Edit: can confirm. Used GPU Trace with NSight and it doesn't show any FP16 Tensor usage. So this is not running on the tensor cores and as such, is not the "FULL FAT" DLSS 2.0. But this is pretty interesting. Now we can observe what impact the tensor cores can have on game performance and visual quality.

Last edited:

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is the new DLSS yet. It actually performs worse for me and image quality looks not much improved.

It shows one render resolution more, but DLSS 2.0 is actually named "Performance, Balanced and Quality" here it's just the render resolutions.

Edit: can confirm. Used GPU Trace with NSight and it doesn't show any FP16 Tensor usage. So this is not running on the tensor cores and as such, is not DLSS 2.0. But this is pretty interesting. Now we can observe what impact the tensor cores can have on game performance and visual quality.

Strange that it isn't using the Tensor cores, even stranger if they've changed what DLSS does before changing it once again to 2.0 within 24 hours.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean by "real" DLSS 2.0? I don't think we'll get another patch a day later to change things. This is probably it.
This version of DLSS 2.0 is not the real deal yet, because it doesn't run on Tensor Cores. The DLC update and thus, DLSS 2.0 is scheduled for tomorrow. However, this version of DLSS does seem to incorporate some of the improvements made in DLSS 2.0, so it's certainly the most advanced reconstruction technique running on standard shader cores we have seen in games to date. It's crazy how efficient it is, even though it is running only on shader cores. But because of how advanced it is, this version of DLSS runs slower than DLSS 1.9 by quite a good deal.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This version of DLSS 2.0 is not the real deal yet, because it doesn't run on Tensor Cores. The DLC update and thus, DLSS 2.0 is scheduled for tomorrow. However, this version of DLSS does incorporate some of the improvements made in DLSS 2.0, so it's certainly the most advanced reconstruction technique running on standard shader cores we have seen in games to date. It's crazy how efficient it is.
Why would they release a 2.6 GB patch just to release another one a day later? Do you have a source for that? I can see the "Foundation DLC" logo on the main screen as well.
It sure looks substantially better than before, especially in 21:9 resolutions. Performance seems to be the same for "Balanced" and "Quality" for me though, and yes, seems to be a little bit worse.

Deleted member 11276

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would they release a 2.6 GB patch just to release another one a day later? Do you have a source for that? I can see the "Foundation DLC" logo on the main screen as well.
It sure looks substantially better than before, especially in 21:9 resolutions. Performance seems to be the same for "Balanced" and "Quality" for me though, and yes, seems to be a little bit worse.
That's strange, my patch is only a couple of megabytes big. What's your version? I'm on 01.09.00.

Well, its supposed to utilize the tensor cores and releases tomorrow:
To get DLSS 2.0 for Control, download and install our newest Game Ready Driver, and on March 26th download a new Control game update.

Powered by dedicated AI processors on GeForce RTX GPUs called Tensor Cores, DLSS 2.0 is a new and improved deep learning neural network that boosts frame rates while generating beautiful, crisp game images.
on Nvidia website linked in this thread

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only Mechwarrior comparison I could find. I guess everyone is waiting for Control

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
If I have developed a new physics system that uses machine learning, would make it sense to run that on the tensor cores? Because that physics system should run all the time while the shader cores are doing their graphics job,no? So in that scenario the Tensor Cores would stall the shader cores and thus, these kinds of workloads are not possible. Or am I missing something?
They are possible if you're still able to fit into your frame budget with them and if using tensor cores for them gives you performance boost when compared to simply running them on main SIMDs.

I mean consoles trying to run a DLSS like solution. RDNA 2 supports multiple rate 4/8 bit speed up.
A. Turing tensor cores support 8/4 bit INTs too, with similar speed ups. No advantage for RDNA2 here.
B. As I've said already, I think that it's very unlikely that even 8 bit INTs will be suitable for any kind of modern graphics work.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nvidia needs to hurry up and release Ampere so I can get in on the sweet DLSS and RTX action, and I'm glad they keep improving those features.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I think you can check somewhere in ini or config file the revision of the DLSS.

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
Patch notes are out. Says that DLSS 2.0 is now supported as of Patch 1.08 and the download we have done bundled 1.08 and 1.09. I dunno, I standby my earlier message that the new DLSS looks better and I'd be happy if this is the DLSS 2.0 implementation.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Just wow. Just tried it. All RT on Max on a 2060. DLSS 1080p (720p render). The game looks stunning and runs >60fps at all times. Wonderful.

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
Well maybe it's 2.0 so, but you can check this Here if you still have artifact it should be 1.9 and if not, 2.0
Here's a screenshot of the latest patch, using DLSS to render 3440x1440 using an internal resolution of 1720x720 (lowest res option). Not half bad!
Np4tDitD_o.png

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
This tech is straight up insane.

I just tried the intro in Control with the latest patch.
Ran 1440p output resolution, DLSS @ 720p and it looked crisp as fuck. Really couldn't pass an eye test between DLSS on or off.

Haven't tried any higher settins, but Raytracing at medium seems to be no problem at all for the RTX2060 at 1440p with DLSS at 720p.
And it looks great, really great.