• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see Nvidia put this into a new Shield handheld that just looks like a PS Vita running Android with root access. Could be a really excellent Stadia + Android + indie/homebrew + emulation platform.
They sort of did with a Shield Portable 2 prototype that had x1 hardware in it. I remember reading articles of people randomly stumbling across one in a pawn shop

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Been waiting for the upgrade, but no HDMI 2.1, no buy

I'm trying to understand why this needs HDMI 2.1. It doesn't need eARC, it doesn't need 8K, it's not going to be HDR10+ compatible. What feature are you looking for from HDMI 2.1 that it's a deal breaker?

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
The most predictable product imaginable after the upgraded switch was made known. In fact I had thought this had already been announced and released lol

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I'm trying to understand why this needs HDMI 2.1. It doesn't need eARC, it doesn't need 8K, it's not going to be HDR10+ compatible. What feature are you looking for from HDMI 2.1 that it's a deal breaker?
People tend to forget that the Gamestream function is very popular with the Shield. I use it all the time and it's great.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
People tend to forget that the Gamestream function is very popular with the Shield. I use it all the time and it's great.
I didn't forget about it; I just don't think variable frame rate video encoding on the fly and playback would have been a feasible feature to expect. I always assumed these video streams had to work based on a fixed video encoded framerate so HDMI 2.1 isn't going to give you VRR anyway.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Basically this is the 16nm component that is in the Switch, that they are now using for a refashioned Tegra. But because they dont have to worry about battery life, all the power can go into the machine. Basically this is what a "Switch Pro" would look like in the here and now.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the Nvidia Shield for emulated fighting games ? No input latency ?

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I didn't forget about it; I just don't think variable frame rate video encoding on the fly and playback would have been a feasible feature to expect. I always assumed these video streams had to work based on a fixed video encoded framerate so HDMI 2.1 isn't going to give you VRR anyway.
Either way they should have at least offered eARC. Other than the processor (which is a minor upgrade) there really appears to be no significant hardware upgrades.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
There's no point in having eARC on it though. There's no reason to include it.
Ok, so why bother at all? Where's the upgrade? A Dolby Vision licensing cost?

You might as well just offer it to current Shield owners for a small fee- something we've been asking for for years.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so why bother at all? Where's the upgrade? A Dolby Vision licensing cost?

You might as well just offer it to current Shield owners for a small fee- something we've been asking for for years.
Look, I get for existing owners it's not worth upgrading except if DV is super important to you which I also get, but claiming lack of HDMI 2.1 is a deal breaker without realizing it would be pretty pointless is just asking for features with no practical purpose and not really thinking about what you're asking for and why you actually want it. That's why I asked how that aspect in itself is a deal breaker when it shouldn't be.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
25% improvement is really weak. was hoping for a way bigger jump. i'll hold on for a future update i guess.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Nvidia took too long... while waiting for prices to go down all these years... then just decided to wait for the sequel... along the way I have bought a Chromecast Ultra ($59), Mi Box S ($40)....and just recently a Fire Stick 4k ($24)

They all can do 4K HDR, and all were got for under a Shield TV sale price.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get people caring about the performance upgrade all that much. Is there some Android game that doesn't run well that you want to play? What do you want to do with that performance other than for the sake of saying it's faster?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

4k/120Hz and VRR. The latter of which would be so good for gamestream, even if the former couldn't be done for LAN bandwidth concerns.

This is speaking specifically as someone who has the recent model before this.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
4k/120Hz and VRR. The latter of which would be so good for gamestream, even if the former couldn't be done for LAN bandwidth concerns.

Like I said above, I don't think having HDMI 2.1 is going to enable VRR in gamestream because of what's involved to make it happen. I also don't see any reason to have 4K/120hz on the Shield TV since any local application wouldn't really be able to take advantage of it, and then like you said bandwidth issues with doing it through gamestream. I just don't think having it on the system is going to bring forth any real world advantage for doing so on a device like this.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
In the market for a box - Wifi in my tv upstairs is cutting out fairly often. Not sure I can justify the high cost of a Shield though. Hoping the rumoured Shield TV stick makes an appearance.

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. That stick appears to have a figure 8 AC connector for power. Would have expected something that small to use an external power supply. I wonder if the Pro has been updated to no longer need an external power brick.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like it has the same DC power connector that the current Shield TV does.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

VRR isn't exclusive to 2.1, though. This can be easily be done with HDMI 2.0 if Nvidia wanted it so. The only real benefit 2.1 has over 2.0 is a ton more bandwidth. Which is required for things like 4k@120hz. I suppose there could be 4k@120hz media content in the future, but I wouldn't expect much. It's also heavily debatable whether 2.1 silicon is even available for purchase (the GPU refreshes could have used it a lot more than Shield). LG signed agreements years ago so they could manufacture their own silicon. Nobody else seems to even have 2.1 silicon outside of them.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly OT, but the Shield is a great Plex server; just connect a usb hub, and add some HDDs (I have around 50TB of space used up lol).