• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot express how hyped i am suddently for 3080 Founders edition?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but at the moment, it's the only true 2 slot 3080? If so, fuck AIBs, 2 slot is where it's at. I have a feeling also that Nvidia put a lot more engineering into the cooling this time around while AIB went with standard solutions (add more fans & RGB!)

I'll clarify why 2-slot is kind of important. SFF cases.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat right now. Eyeballing a FE, but why is no one imitating Nvidia's design? This tells me the classic triple fan design is still the best for cooling/noise.

Reference cards have never been the best in terms of cooling and noise, right? I guess I'll wait for comparisons.
I don't think that really tells you anything. It's very likely that their cooling design is potentially more expensive to transition to or do. Than their pipeline of large block with fans.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
What do I do with my 2080ti?

Am I too late? Do I cry?
The 30xx GPUs will sell out almost instantly. People are impatient. Someone will pay decent money for your 2080ti because they don't want to wait and they're building/upgrading their PC already.

You won't get as much as you would have done last week, but you'll get enough to cover a significant chunk of the cost of a new GPU.

I'm just going to secure a 3080 and then sell my 2080ti after. The new cards are so cheap that it's no big deal tbh. Sure the value of my 2080ti has gone down, but only because the new cards are cheap, so I'm getting less but paying less. I didn't want to sell my 2080ti last week because i still want to play on my PC and who knows if I'll actually manage to get a 3080 at launch.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
RTX3090 8K performance according to nvidia:
ECdRb7r.jpg

edit - it's 3090, fixed

Oct 26, 2017
Whats the general consensus on 3rd party manufacturers?I I get the feeling EVGA is top dog, but I don't think I'll be able to afford their premium. I'm mostly concerned about build quality, reliability and absence of coil whine. Who's got the best track record?

zyxwvu4321

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda figure this has already been mentioned already, but I can't read through all the pages at the moment.

But this seems essentially like a price cut from the original 2080 launch. Yes MSRP then was $700 as well, but NV was selling their FE at $800, as well as all the AIBs. Whereas this time, NV is actually selling theirs at the announced price.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot express how hyped i am suddently for 3080 Founders edition?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but at the moment, it's the only true 2 slot 3080? If so, fuck AIBs, 2 slot is where it's at. I have a feeling also that Nvidia put a lot more engineering into the cooling this time around while AIB went with standard solutions (add more fans & RGB!)
That's my feeling. Would really like to nab a founders.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
The 30xx GPUs will sell out almost instantly. People are impatient. Someone will pay decent money for your 2080ti because they don't want to wait and they're building/upgrading their PC already.

You won't get as much as you would have done last week, but you'll get enough to cover a significant chunk of the cost of a new GPU.

I'm just going to secure a 3080 and then sell my 2080ti after. The new cards are so cheap that it's no big deal tbh. Sure the value of my 2080ti has gone down, but only because the new cards are cheap, so I'm getting less but paying less. I didn't want to sell my 2080ti last week because i still want to play on my PC and who knows if I'll actually manage to get a 3080 at launch.
Thanks, that makes the picture much clearer for me.

RivalCore

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like all the partner cards are going to be a really tight squeeze into my case. I'll probably move my AIO to the top of the case over the weekend so make room.

So excited!

Oct 28, 2017
Steak Ranchero
Remember that time you were worried about 3080 being 2-slot?

j0qLKUh.png
I knew my hard work and dedication would pay off. I'm so freaking happy right now. I would also like to thank you for keeping my spirits up, my hopes high, and my laughs out loud. Now who wants to fight me for a 3080 FE? All y'all know you want to wait for the AIB offerings. What the hell do y'all need two slots for? Go take all the cursed 2.5 and 2.75 slots please god.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
The only huge gap is the amount of VRAM.
Otherwise it has +21% cores and +23% bandwidth than 3080
For comparison, the 3080 has 48% more cores and also 48% more bandwidth than 3070
Put out a card with the 3090's core count + 3080's bandwidth (or a GDDR7 upgrade or something) and boom, you have a 3080ti.

Sell it for $899 or $999

luminosity

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know what time of day the orders will enable? I'm thinking of taking the day off on the 17th to order it.

Nov 5, 2017
So my question is, the cooling setup Nvidia has with their founders and vapor chamber right? Is it going to be superior to what a lot of the AIB partners are offering and a lower price to boot? Because AIB's typically overcharge by a good amount at launch.
However, in the past, AIB cards were able to overclock further than Nvidia's FE cards. So, there might be a benefit to having the 3x 8-pin connectors.

Plum

May 31, 2018
These cards have really shown how much of an idiot I was for getting my PC when I did.

Can't even just upgrade the GPU because I foolishly bought into the Mini ITX nonsense and now I literally can't upgrade to a 3080 without upgrading most other stuff.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Oh price wise, ok
There is indeed a HUGE gap
That gap lets them be flexible in their response to big Navi (if they need to) also.

These cards have really shown how much of an idiot I was for getting my PC when I did.

Can't even just upgrade the GPU because I foolishly bought into the Mini ITX nonsense and now I literally can't upgrade to a 3080 without upgrading most other stuff.
These cards won't instantly render your existing PC worthless

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So what are the chances of getting benchmarks atleast a good week before orders go live?

The only huge gap is the amount of VRAM.
Otherwise it has +21% cores and +23% bandwidth than 3080
For comparison, the 3080 has 48% more cores and also 48% more bandwidth than 3070
There is still room for a card between 3080 and 3090, both in terms of performance/specs as well as price. A 3080Ti that sits 15% over 3080, but has less VRAM than 3090, and is priced at $999 would be a decent bet. It'd be the Ti to the Titan that we've had in the past

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
What is the best way to try and land one of these? I'd really like a FE card, but would be happy with an EVGA, ASUS, or MSI card as well. I'm also okay paying a premium, just really want one in September.

Wario64 push notifications already on. What else can I do?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Registered interest on NVIDIA UK, I didn't get an email confirming it though. No idea if that's normal?

Do I then just wait until the 17th where I'll hopefully get an email to buy it or what?

wachie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope AMD has some goods.

Imagine Lisa Su walking out on stage with nothing competitive to show off.

Their reveal can't come soon enough.
Best case scenario right now for AMD would only result in some competition to 3070/3070 Ti (rumored).

I don't see how they can compete with 3080 and above.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My mainboard is only pcie 3.0...

Is 4.0 really needed or is it more of a future feature?

Intel users will have a problem if 4.0 is needed.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
If the new consoles are releasing in the first half of November then late October is pretty much a lock for Zen 3 and their new GPUs if they're serious about releasing ahead of the consoles. That is unless they want to really make it close.

Last edited:

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone got the fps chart that shows performance across all three cards from the presentation earlier? I can't find a copy

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think that really tells you anything. It's very likely that their cooling design is potentially more expensive to transition to or do. Than their pipeline of large block with fans.
You've probably hit the nail on the head here. They're not set up to produce the cards with cooling the way NVIDIA has done. It's just cheaper/easier to use current methods. This is like window makers for your home. They produce double pane ones on jigs many years old that aren't very efficient because buying/building the new jig would cost money and why do that when the windows from the old jigs will still sell just fine. Lots of stuff is like this... and now possibly video cards too.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
My mainboard is only pcie 3.0...

Is 4.0 really needed or is it more of a future feature?

Intel users will have a problem if 4.0 is needed.

Pretty sure it's more future proof or when DX12 ultimate uses the new IO system to the fullest? I would not worry too much about it now.

But personally, when Ryzen 4xxx goes out this year, i'll upgrade everything to PCI4.0 i think, even SSD??

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So what are the chances of getting benchmarks atleast a good week before orders go live?

There is still room for a card between 3080 and 3090, both in terms of performance/specs as well as price. A 3080Ti that sits 15% over 3080, but has less VRAM than 3090, and is priced at $999 would be a decent bet. It'd be the Ti to the Titan that we've had in the past

Sure I agree with that and I'm sure they'll have one lined up at some point, whether because of the competition or to fill the price gap.
As you said, it'd be just like any Ti vs Titan so nothing out of the ordinary.

The one difference is how strong the 80 card is this time.
Ti in the past were both a big jump over the 80 and very close in perf to the Titan for much cheaper.
The value proposition has changed some.