• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, same.
I was expecting £800 but now that I know I can get these other brands as well as FE for £650, I'm gonna nope out of this one. Max I'll go is £700 and I don't even see a reason to do that in the first place.

Get the £650 card and maybe if I feel like overclocking, I'll slap a water cooling block later. All these factory overclocked ver is just manufacturers trying to nickle and dime off sub brand name.

I'm really liking the look of the EVGA FTW3, but I know that'll be close to the 800 mark as well. I think I'm gonna go with the Ventus, I've got a Ventus 2060 and it's been rock solid, so just hoping the 3080 follows suit

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Wondering when the 3080ti will be announced? There is a MASSIVE gap in pricing between the 3080 and 3090 so a 3080ti seems to almost seem a sure thing to be the in-between the 3080 and 3090. Perhaps a 3080ti at $999.99 or $899.99?

ReggieBC

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're on a 2.0 system then yes. More so because the CPU will be hella old. If you're curiuos bandwidth wise, IIRC the bandwidth doubles each gen, so an x16 2.0 slot == x8 3.0 slot == x4 4.0 slot (bandwidth wise * IIRC). So you could look up some youtube vids or w/e.

But if your system's that old then yeah you're gonna hella bottleneck a 3070.
haha, shit well thanks for the heads up. Time to save up for a new system.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really liking the look of the EVGA FTW3, but I know that'll be close to the 800 mark as well. I think I'm gonna go with the Ventus, I've got a Ventus 2060 and it's been rock solid, so just hoping the 3080 follows suit
Tbh Really interested in seeing how the FE stacks up, the novel cooling solution, and the fins may result in a very cool card that's competitive with he big brand AIB cards.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Yup should be good to go.
source.gif

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Founder's Editions take 2x 8pin, but AIB's for 3080 and 3090 seems to be 3x 8pin across the board.

It wouldn't fry, just become unstable and crash a lot.

Only the high end AIB cards are 3x 8Pin.

Asus TUF and the MSI ventus lineup are both 2x pin for the 3080/3090 version as an example.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
AIB's whole niche is factory OC and custom high performance coolers.

There is nothing for them in re-selling NV designs with sticker swap.
So my question is, the cooling setup Nvidia has with their founders and vapor chamber right? Is it going to be superior to what a lot of the AIB partners are offering and a lower price to boot? Because AIB's typically overcharge by a good amount at launch.

Oct 27, 2017
Wondering when the 3080ti will be announced? There is a MASSIVE gap in pricing between the 3080 and 3090 so a 3080ti seems to almost seem a sure thing to be the in-between the 3080 and 3090. Perhaps a 3080ti at $999.99 or $899.99?
Why would there be a 3080ti? Ram? Anything closer performance wise nullifies the 3090.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I know it's probably too early to tell, but is there any indication of just how much is lost by continuing to use a PCIe 3.0 port for these new 4.0 GPUs? The limit of 32GB/s from 3.0 seems like it would be enough for most things, but that doubling to 64 for 4.0 isn't nothing. Mostly curious for 4K/120HZ

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
I've never bought a graphics card day 1, would I need to be refreshing constantly throughout the day looking to place the order the second its available or would I be fine getting one within the first 30 minutes or so

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
EVGA ANSWERS from https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3073192

"Also, to answer about half the questions in this thread:
  • Currently no pre-order planned. Similarly, no pricing is available at this time.
  • Like the US store, we cannot generally comment on availability at this time for the EU store. Availability, however, will not be any sooner than the dates NVIDIA mentioned for each GPU.
  • HYBRID, HC, and KPE cards will come a bit later than the XC3 and FTW3 cards. No ETA to give you, which is probably your next question.
  • HYBRIDs will be 240mm, except for KPE HYBRID, whch will be 360mm. No plans for a 120mm HYBRID at this time.
  • HYBRIDs will be 2 Slot.
  • XC3 cards will all be 2.2 slots. Length is 11.23in. - 285.37mm / Height is 4.38in. - 111.15 mm.
  • FTW3 cards will be 2.75 slots. Length is 11.81in. - 300mm / Height is 5.38in. - 136.75mm.
  • There will be an EVGA NVLINK. No ETA at this time.
  • Since I've seen this mentioned incorrectly, all cards are 3 DisplayPort, 1 HDMI.
  • PowerLink is expected to work with the XC3 models. For obvious reasons, it will not work with the 3090/3080 FTW3 cards due to the number of PCIe power connectors. Either way, we will have the compatibility list updated when the cards are available on the website.
  • Step-Up will begin when cards are available. Products will not be listed prior to general availability. I would expect one of the XC3 models will be listed for availability, but we will make that decision prior to general availability.
  • I'm not sure why people assume bots are buying cards over regular people. It was a popular reason for why 20-Series cards were always out of stock, which completely ignored literal supply and demand issues (lots of people wanted them, but there weren't many initially). Yes, there are per person quantity caps for each card. Yes, we require captcha to login, which is also required to create a profile. This should help to comfort some of you."

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
So my question is, the cooling setup Nvidia has with their founders and vapor chamber right? Is it going to be superior to what a lot of the AIB partners are offering and a lower price to boot? Because AIB's typically overcharge by a good amount at launch.
I mean, this is what I'm wondering too. It's obvious they spent time on cooling it a specific way. I'm looking at all these other designs and it's like nothing's changed there for the other vendors and what's up with that?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Was kinda hoping to see something similar to Xbox's AI HDR. Is PC just doomed to lag behind with HDR?

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Bought a 2060 Super last year when I built my new PC to give me the flexibility to upgrade to the next gen cards when they got announced. Just listed it for sale and will hope to snag either a 3070 or 3080 at launch. These are way faster than I thought!

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I really hope AMD has some goods.

Imagine Lisa Su walking out on stage with nothing competitive to show off.

Their reveal can't come soon enough.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EVGA ANSWERS from https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3073192

"Also, to answer about half the questions in this thread:
  • Currently no pre-order planned. Similarly, no pricing is available at this time.
  • Like the US store, we cannot generally comment on availability at this time for the EU store. Availability, however, will not be any sooner than the dates NVIDIA mentioned for each GPU.
  • HYBRID, HC, and KPE cards will come a bit later than the XC3 and FTW3 cards. No ETA to give you, which is probably your next question.
  • HYBRIDs will be 240mm, except for KPE HYBRID, whch will be 360mm. No plans for a 120mm HYBRID at this time.
  • HYBRIDs will be 2 Slot.
  • XC3 cards will all be 2.2 slots. Length is 11.23in. - 285.37mm / Height is 4.38in. - 111.15 mm.
  • FTW3 cards will be 2.75 slots. Length is 11.81in. - 300mm / Height is 5.38in. - 136.75mm.
  • There will be an EVGA NVLINK. No ETA at this time.
  • Since I've seen this mentioned incorrectly, all cards are 3 DisplayPort, 1 HDMI.
  • PowerLink is expected to work with the XC3 models. For obvious reasons, it will not work with the 3090/3080 FTW3 cards due to the number of PCIe power connectors. Either way, we will have the compatibility list updated when the cards are available on the website.
  • Step-Up will begin when cards are available. Products will not be listed prior to general availability. I would expect one of the XC3 models will be listed for availability, but we will make that decision prior to general availability.
  • I'm not sure why people assume bots are buying cards over regular people. It was a popular reason for why 20-Series cards were always out of stock, which completely ignored literal supply and demand issues (lots of people wanted them, but there weren't many initially). Yes, there are per person quantity caps for each card. Yes, we require captcha to login, which is also required to create a profile. This should help to comfort some of you."

Thanks for this

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

I don't remember 3000 series FE cooler design exactly, but looked like pretty normal heat pipe design without vapor chamber.

Will it be superior to AIB's? We need benches for that, but I would be surprised if it out performed top end AIB models.

What do I do with my 2080ti?

Am I too late? Do I cry?

Give it to a friend who needs new GPU, but strapped on cash?

Sell it for 300 - 400€?

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually dont purchase cards until later after release, but do 3rd party cards usually come out the same day as FE cards?

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I know it's probably too early to tell, but is there any indication of just how much is lost by continuing to use a PCIe 3.0 port for these new 4.0 GPUs? The limit of 32GB/s from 3.0 seems like it would be enough for most things, but that doubling to 64 for 4.0 isn't nothing. Mostly curious for 4K/120HZ

The only performance demonstrations we've seen were on a PCIe 3.0 system and that had between a 65%-90% performance delta generation to generation so I wouldn't worry about it. There'll be a difference but it's unlikely to be more than 5-10%.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So why are the other vendors foregoing NVIDIA's new cooling method? I'm not sure I like that...
Was anyone expecting the FE cooler to be the standard? Setting aside the fact that we don't know how the FE cooler compares to a more standard design, i'm sure EVGA, ASUS and ZOTAC will have a few FE-like GPUs where they copy the reference cooler. That said, I am skeptical that the reference design is going to cool the 3080 any more efficiently than the Strix, FTW3, Waterforce or other quality AIBs/allow for a higher OC, short of the 20GB 3080 having its back and front covered with VRAM like the 3090 appears to be based on those leaked PCB pictures. The 3090 is another story given the amount of components that need to be cooled on both sides, hence why so many of those cards appear to have massive coolers.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
So why are the other vendors foregoing NVIDIA's new cooling method? I'm not sure I like that...
I'm in the same boat right now. Eyeballing a FE, but why is no one imitating Nvidia's design? This tells me the classic triple fan design is still the best for cooling/noise.

Reference cards have never been the best in terms of cooling and noise, right? I guess I'll wait for comparisons.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is what I'm wondering too. It's obvious they spent time on cooling it a specific way. I'm looking at all these other designs and it's like nothing's changed there for the other vendors and what's up with that?
Because that's what the make. Big cooling blocks with flashy lights and typically not blower styling.

Plus honestly since the 1000/2000 lines. The AIB boards have really added very little performance over their founders counterparts anyway. It's mainly binned chips that make the difference, not the coolers typically. OC headroom has been extremely minor.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I believe the last GPU I bought for gaming specifically was the 8800GT.

3070 or 3080 might be the next. Price/performance on these things sounds too good.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone going with? MSI? ASUS? EVGA? I always get stumped every gen with what brand and version to go with since there's like 20 different kinds.