• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Much appreciated! I never used discord before so I'm kinda confused, do I right click on "tracking 3080" and in notifications select all messages if I wanna be notified when someone posts a link there?
Yep. I put everything else on mute and put that on "all messages" like you said.

Be warned, you may have to do some other stuff like join the "role" if you want to get alerts on your mobile. I noticed mobile was kinda delayed a lil compared to desktop.

Oct 25, 2017
Wakayama
I have a question about the recent 3080 revisions, is there a specific capacitor layout I should be looking for just to be on the safe side? I know that bios are downclocking the cards a bit but I just want to try and make sure if I find one it's not going to be a dud that dies a few months later or whatever.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have a question about the recent 3080 revisions, is there a specific capacitor layout I should be looking for just to be on the safe side? I know that bios are downclocking the cards a bit but I just want to try and make sure if I find one it's not going to be a dud that dies a few months later or whatever.
Capacitors weren't the main issues with those cards; it was the drivers and board partners not having access to working drivers at the time, owed to NVIDIA's paranoia over performance leaking.

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
Much appreciated! I never used discord before so I'm kinda confused, do I right click on "tracking 3080" and in notifications select all messages if I wanna be notified when someone posts a link there?
Yes, click on the emoji on the #notification-selection for the item you want to track

The bot from the server will give you what's called a "toast notification" when that trigger applies to you

In my experience, you'll need to be fast, and ideally already have your card info into places like newegg, best buy, etc so you can just slam that button as fast as you can.

I got mine on best buy and had to make sure I was in the "checkout" not "cart" section in order to secure my 3070. Like, get into checkout within 30 seconds of the notification. if you're at the computer while this happens, it's pretty easy.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Yep. I put everything else on mute and put that on "all messages" like you said.

Be warned, you may have to do some other stuff like join the "role" if you want to get alerts on your mobile. I noticed mobile was kinda delayed a lil compared to desktop.
Yes, click on the emoji on the #notification-selection for the item you want to track

The bot from the server will give you what's called a "toast notification" when that trigger applies to you

In my experience, you'll need to be fast, and ideally already have your card info into places like newegg, best buy, etc so you can just slam that button as fast as you can.

I got mine on best buy and had to make sure I was in the "checkout" not "cart" section in order to secure my 3070. Like, get into checkout within 30 seconds of the notification. if you're at the computer while this happens, it's pretty easy.

Thanks, fingers crossed! Really appreciate the help!

Cat_o_Nine

Dec 12, 2017
USA
Once i got into the checkout, I literally went downstairs in my apartment, got my cc info, updated the cc and shipping info, double checked i had enough money on my credit card, and hit purchase, maybe 7? minutes? I probably lucked out because bestbuy says it "locks you in" once you're in the checkout, though.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA

I'm guessing this doesn't apply to the iOS app? Can't seem to click the emojis

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That line up doesn't make any sense to me. I know the bandwidth is lower but you should always assume the customer is stupid.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO it makes the 3060 feel extremely reflexive and just feeds the "refresh" rumors going around

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
That line up doesn't make any sense to me. I know the bandwidth is lower but you should always assume the customer is stupid.
That's because it won't be the case.
3060 will get a 6GB version as well.
It makes no sense not to considering that 3060Ti and 3070 will both have 8.
But there can be AIB 3060 models which have 12GB - NV can allow this as higher VRAM sizes are usually more beneficial for sales at the lower end. That's basically a result of boardmakers pressure.

tamago

Oct 27, 2017
Dallas, TX
hype! just waiting for o11 mini to come in.
kIXO3F5.jpg

Jan 10, 2018
So I got the MSI 3080 today and I was a bit surprised that it had 3 slots for PCI-E. I have the 2 Corsair PCI-E cables that comes with the PSU that are sleeved and have dual 6+2 connectors. Do I need to buy a third cable or can I use these dual connectors with the same effect?

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
So I got the MSI 3080 today and I was a bit surprised that it had 3 slots for PCI-E. I have the 2 Corsair PCI-E cables that comes with the PSU that are sleeved and have dual 6+2 connectors. Do I need to buy a third cable or can I use these dual connectors with the same effect?
You can't use 2 for the 3 plug ones, you just can't use 1 for the 2 plug ones

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
" NVIDIA will officially launch its RTX 3060 Ti model on December 2nd, but the reviews will go live a day earlier, on December 1st."

I'm hyped...but I won't be able to get one for months thanks to those bots/scalpers.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
videocardz.com

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 3DMark Fire Strike and Time Spy scores leaked - VideoCardz.com

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 3DMark Performance NVIDIA’s new RTX 3060 Ti is just around the corner. Reviewers are busy testing the graphics cards that will officially be shown next week. Meanwhile, we have been busy collecting data from said reviewers. The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti is indeed...
That's quite a small gap in performance for a $100 difference. Let's hope luck is on my side. Or that the alleged stock improvements in Q1 happen

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Last week I finally got the 3080 I ordered on launch day from Scan. They never did get stock of the 3080 FTW Gaming that I ordered and paid for, so they upgraded me to an Ultra for free which was nice.

The thing is a beast. It's a big jump in performance from my 1080 FTW

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Last week I finally got the 3080 I ordered on launch day from Scan. They never did get stock of the 3080 FTW Gaming that I ordered and paid for, so they upgraded me to an Ultra for free which was nice.

The thing is a beast. It's a big jump in performance from my 1080 FTW
Congrats! I still don't have my XC3 Gaming 3080 from Scan :( It looks like EVGA are sending regular XC3 Ultras and even some of the Black model too but none of the middle 'gaming' variant - which is really just the Black but with a backplate. I'm 23rd in the queue and the queues for the XC3 cards seem long if their chart is anything to go by. I've pretty much given up hope at this point, hope of getting my order fulfilled this year that is.

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
FYI, the site Fateka.com looks like it has a couple of 3070's and the Zotac 3090 in stock. They're charging above MSRP, but depending on taxes where you live, it may be cheaper than buying from Amazon or Newegg before shipping, like it was for me. I ordered the Zotac 3090 from them on Monday with 2 day shipping and got it today.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
That's because it won't be the case.
3060 will get a 6GB version as well.
It makes no sense not to considering that 3060Ti and 3070 will both have 8.
But there can be AIB 3060 models which have 12GB - NV can allow this as higher VRAM sizes are usually more beneficial for sales at the lower end. That's basically a result of boardmakers pressure.

i have a question about raw teraflop performance. 20TF ampere doesnt convert exactly as turing. What could be the reason ? Did they gimped the architecture as teraflop count and performance gain wasnt that massive? i know teraflops doesnt matter but still i feel like a 20TF ampere card should beat down 2080ti. What went wrong in the architecture jump? or games not taking advantage of new architecture?

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
i have a question about raw teraflop performance. 20TF ampere doesnt convert exactly as turing. What could be the reason ? Did they gimped the architecture as teraflop count and performance gain wasnt that massive? i know teraflops doesnt matter but still i feel like a 20TF ampere card should beat down 2080ti. What went wrong in the architecture jump? or games not taking advantage of new architecture?
They switched to different cores which can do but (either) integer or floating point operations. Which doubles the theoretical flops, but doesn't mean mutch when you are mixing the two

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I theorize that Ampere is tuned for what Nvidia sees as a shift in rendering. The gains in stuff like RT come from the change and I suspect things like mesh shaders and UE5's nanite would greatly benefit from this design over Turing

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Ampere peak TFs include INTs into themselves since Ampere has a unified FP+INT SIMD.
Turing peak TFs doesn't include INTs into themselves since Turing has a dedicated INT SIMD.
A modern gaming rendering workload may consist of INT instructions up to 50% of all code, depending on a game or even a scene.
Thus a game which has 25% of its shader instructions as INTs will get a +25% boost on Turing not reflected in its TFs - but won't get the same boost on Ampere because these 25% INTs will run on the same h/w as flops in its case.
So the comparison of flops between them should account for that. Basically Ampere can't be 2X Turing in actual performance according to flops because its execution model of gaming code is different to Turing. It will be anywhere from 1X to 2X (per SM) in practice, depending on proportion of INT instructions in the rendering code.

That's one part of the reason. Another one is the current target h/w which games are being written for at the moment. Games target a specific balance of compute to frontend and backend throughputs in GPUs. So if a game is targeting a 1:1:1 ratio here and you have a new GPU which is 1:2:1 roughly speaking the code won't be able to take advantage of this doubling or the middle stage (additional flops) because it will still target the old ratio - and will be limited by these 1s. Generally GPUs are adding flops all the time without increasing the FE and BE anywhere nearly similar, the focus is shifting to compute for the last 20 years as shading is getting more and more complex while external bandwidths aren't changing as fast.

This is the second part of the reason - games just don't have complex enough shading which will be able to load all the flops of Ampere, yet. This will eventually change over the next couple of years and Ampere will show higher gains over Turing than it does on current gen games.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing went wrong, it's just that Ampere has a different core than Turing. In Turing you could do one floating point operation, one integer operation, or both at the same time.
With Ampere, you can do one flop, one int, both at the same time, or two flop. So that means that for the same number of cores, peak performance in floating point is twice as much as Turing.
But like I said it's only peak performance, so the cores aren't always doing two floating point ops, everything around the core is more or less the same, so Ampere is less saturated than Turing.
That means that while raw flops is twice as much, in gaming you only get around 30% extra performance. In computing there's almost a 2x gain however.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So reviews for the 3060Ti are out supposedly on Monday. Can't wait. Rumor is that stock will be better but damn, people are fast.

I need to check too much stuff to buy it, so I gotta be extremely lucky to grab an import. Crossing fingers