• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arc07

Oct 27, 2017
Got my Strix 3090 on Monday and finally finished my build.

Pressure testing.
jveUPSJ.png

Finished.
lbMplKA.png

MBcQXso.png

Parts list. Anything marked $0 was from the last build.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Got my Strix 3090 on Monday and finally finished my build.

Pressure testing.
jveUPSJ.png

Finished.
lbMplKA.png

MBcQXso.png

Parts list. Anything marked $0 was from the last build.
What a tank of a monitor, must be insane for immersive games.
GDDR6X is faster memory than GDDR6. It has more bandwidth, and consumes more power too, so it gets hot. Only the 3090 and 3080 have it.

GA10# are the technical names of the Ampere chips. The 3090 and 3080 have the GA102, the 3070 has the GA104, the 3060 will likely have the GA106, and if there's something like a 3050 then the GA107.

It's a naming scheme they have used before with other letters, but always the numbers starting at 102, which is reserved for the biggest chip. The farthest away from 102, the smaller it gets.
Great explanation.

VoidPlot

Nov 1, 2017
Nzxt has the 3080 founders edition in the list of builds the whole is 2.1k should I bite the bullet? I have a dell XPS.. with a 1070

Arc07

Oct 27, 2017
How are you liking that monitor for work and gaming?
It's great for multiple windows using Microsoft Powertoys to make custom window layouts. I've only been using this for a few hours so the only two games I've tried are Forza Horizon 4 and FFXIV. FH4 looks insane at this resolution especially with HDR. Unfortunately there's a driver issue for 30 series cards with the latest Game Ready driver that won't allow me to run the monitor at 240Hz. There is a hotfix driver but it's older.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like my 7700K is bottlenecking me a bit (particularly in the Shadows of the Tomb Raider benchmark) with the TUF OC 3080. Sad. I don't think I'll bother shelling out money for a better CPU until I do a rebuild with a Ryzen 5000 series, though. Maybe sometime next spring. The bottleneck doesn't seem to be too extreme, at least, just noticeable compared to the results I've seen posted by other people.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Even as it struggled with supply constraints after launching the highly anticipated GeForce RTX 30 graphics processing unit (GPU) series in September, NVIDIA has still managed to post 37% sequential and year-over-year growth in its gaming segment. This segment, which is responsible for having put the company in its current market position accounted for almost half (~49%) of the company's revenues during the third quarter.
NVIDIA-CORPORATION-Q3-FY-2021-MARKET-REVENUE-SEGMENTS-1-1030x511.png

wccftech.com

NVIDIA Earns Record $4.7 Billion Revenue In Q3 2021 Aided By Nintendo Switch, Lockdowns

NVIDIA Corporation reported earnings for 3Q FY 2021 today and the results were shaped by console and data center sales. Take a look!

I guess that's where we're ending the narrative of Ampere's shortages being a result of small supply and are moving into accepting the fact that it is actually an insane demand?

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
It was always an insane demand due to people being stuck at home for months and months. I'm just looking forward to their response now that AMD is to be taken seriously. Hopefully, better prices and performance.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Seems like my 7700K is bottlenecking me a bit (particularly in the Shadows of the Tomb Raider benchmark) with the TUF OC 3080. Sad. I don't think I'll bother shelling out money for a better CPU until I do a rebuild with a Ryzen 5000 series, though. Maybe sometime next spring. The bottleneck doesn't seem to be too extreme, at least, just noticeable compared to the results I've seen posted by other people.
At what resolution do you game?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was always an insane demand due to people being stuck at home for months and months. I'm just looking forward to their response now that AMD is to be taken seriously. Hopefully, better prices and performance.
the 3080 Ti and the 3070 Ti have seemingly been spotted, so that'll probably be out before the end of CY Q1, I bet. can't let AMD take the crown for so long

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Was getting like around 70fps in COD Warzone 1440p with everything on medium on my 3080. Something was definitely wrong but I couldn't figure it out. Then today I thought I'd get 3DMark and one of the suggestions was to disable G-sync so I did. I run the benchmarks for the first time ever and everything looks normal/average for my specs. Went back to COD and all of the sudden I'm getting the frame rates I see in every YouTube benchmark video. Super buttery smooth with everything on max. 120fps+ easy. WTF!

It also seems to have gotten rid of the random black screen crashes from watching YouTube...

I was so worried I might have had a faulty card. Was almost ready to RMA. I'm just so confused how G-sync was the problem and disabling it in control panel fixed everything. Is G-sync not a thing anymore? Does everyone with a 3080 disable it now? Does it depend on the monitor? I pretty much left it on always for my vanilla 2080. So G-sync is like an extra oomph for older graphics cards? but since I have a 3080 i don't really need it to max out my monitor 144hz refresh rate? and in fact it was destroying my frame rate with weird hardware issues??? Am I getting that right? Not finding much info when I google what was happening.

I guess I just want to say that if anyone is having weirdly low frame rates and occasional black screen crashes while watching Youtube, try to disable your monitor's G-sync in the Nvidia control panel. Give that a try. I don't understand but it seems to have worked for me.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I'm still looking at Navi 21 benches but so far I haven't really seen anything which needs any sort of "response" from them. Well, 6800 maybe, since it slots between their products and 6900XT possibly since they don't have anything at this price point - and that's where you'll get 3070Ti and 3080Ti at most likely. The rest of the lineup will remain as launched. They did know what they were doing back in September.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I'm still looking at Navi 21 benches but so far I haven't really seen anything which needs any sort of "response" from them. Well, 6800 maybe, since it slots between their products and 6900XT possibly since they don't have anything at this price point - and that's where you'll get 3070Ti and 3080Ti at most likely. The rest of the lineup will remain as launched. They did know what they were doing back in September.
I meant overall. Nvida can't get away with $1,500 price points for 5% performance gains any more. AMD is right there and can push them both from a pricing and innovation perspective. We see that Nvidia is already working on a response to SAM, so it looks like competition is already benefiting consumers. Hopefully, their next step is a price drop for their 3090 series.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I really dont think that means there havent been supply issues lol... of course revenues are up, what did they have this time last year? The 20x series sold poorly. It can be true that there are supply issues AND nvidia is selling a lot of product.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I meant overall. Nvida can't get away with $1,500 price points for 5% performance gains any more.
Sure they can. Watch them still selling 3090 just fine to those who need 24GBs of VRAM.
There are more to these expensive cards than their gaming performance.

AMD is right there and can push them both from a pricing and innovation perspective. We see that Nvidia is already working on a response to SAM, so it looks like competition is already benefiting consumers.
Well, kinda. "SAM" is little more than a MB BIOS+OS feature which isn't something for NV to "work on" really. The fact that AMD has made the feature functional on Zen3 CPUs means that NV can make use of it as well.
And otherwise we're looking at AMD not even matching the feature set of Turing with RDNA2 so this isn't really putting a lot of pressure on NV here.
Price/performance though, yes, this is a clear win for consumers as they are battling across all segments again - something which hasn't been the case for years now.

Hopefully, their next step is a price drop for their 3090 series.
Not going to happen.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I meant overall. Nvida can't get away with $1,500 price points for 5% performance gains any more. AMD is right there and can push them both from a pricing and innovation perspective. We see that Nvidia is already working on a response to SAM, so it looks like competition is already benefiting consumers. Hopefully, their next step is a price drop for their 3090 series.

They'll still get away with it because at the top of the stack value isn't really a consideration. The type of person buying a 3090 doesn't care that dollar/performance ratio is low, they just want the absolute best. As dgrdsv said, they'll likely launch a 3080Ti to compete with the 6900XT rather than cut the price of the 3090.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
3090 is priced the way it is because it has 24GB of vram. Itll never come down from that MSRP. Will nvidia release a $1000 3080Ti that trades blows with the 3090 with less vram? Yes

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Was getting like around 70fps in COD Warzone 1440p with everything on medium on my 3080. Something was definitely wrong but I couldn't figure it out. Then today I thought I'd get 3DMark and one of the suggestions was to disable G-sync so I did. I run the benchmarks for the first time ever and everything looks normal/average for my specs. Went back to COD and all of the sudden I'm getting the frame rates I see in every YouTube benchmark video. Super buttery smooth with everything on max. 120fps+ easy. WTF!

It also seems to have gotten rid of the random black screen crashes from watching YouTube...

I was so worried I might have had a faulty card. Was almost ready to RMA. I'm just so confused how G-sync was the problem and disabling it in control panel fixed everything. Is G-sync not a thing anymore? Does everyone with a 3080 disable it now? Does it depend on the monitor? I pretty much left it on always for my vanilla 2080. So G-sync is like an extra oomph for older graphics cards? but since I have a 3080 i don't really need it to max out my monitor 144hz refresh rate? and in fact it was destroying my frame rate with weird hardware issues??? Am I getting that right? Not finding much info when I google what was happening.

I guess I just want to say that if anyone is having weirdly low frame rates and occasional black screen crashes while watching Youtube, try to disable your monitor's G-sync in the Nvidia control panel. Give that a try. I don't understand but it seems to have worked for me.

I have a gsync compatible monitor and I am getting max 144hz with my 3080, no problem. Maybe it is because of your in-game vsync setting? I have it off in games and on in Nvidia Panel.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
It's great for multiple windows using Microsoft Powertoys to make custom window layouts. I've only been using this for a few hours so the only two games I've tried are Forza Horizon 4 and FFXIV. FH4 looks insane at this resolution especially with HDR. Unfortunately there's a driver issue for 30 series cards with the latest Game Ready driver that won't allow me to run the monitor at 240Hz. There is a hotfix driver but it's older.

Well I got good news for you.

EDIT: Confirming it works. We're back to 240hz!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's a 98" Karlby top with two Alex drawers. Totally original idea that nobody has ever thought about. 😂
build looks great. how long did it take you to get your pipe technique down to bend them how you wanted them? I'm about to do my first open loop, also with that same GPU...if I can secure this 5900X. I do see you went for minimum bends, but I do see a few! lol

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I went exotic with the typical ikea desk, i went with Pinnarp walnut rather than Karlby. I prefer the smaller widths of the pieces.

pinnarp-countertop-walnut-veneer__0869296_PE643034_S5.JPG

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Check your local classifieds for 8700 or 9700 cpu/mobo combos. People itching to upgrade are getting rid of them in droves. It's a massacre. You will get most of the Ryzen 5000 performance for just a fraction of the money.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
For people with a 3090 what is your Time spy extreme score? I scored 10,300 but Im not sure if this is good? The leaderboard is full of people 11k+

Arc07

Oct 27, 2017
build looks great. how long did it take you to get your pipe technique down to bend them how you wanted them? I'm about to do my first open loop, also with that same GPU...if I can secure this 5900X. I do see you went for minimum bends, but I do see a few! lol
Thanks. I've done a few of these builds so the bending part is pretty easy to me now. Especially with acrylic. Yeah I'm not a fan of doing half a dozen bends on a single tube so I went with using fittings instead. I had a muuuuuuuuch better looking setup for the CPU monoblock until I realized that the inlet/outlet were swapped. :(

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Really haven't tinkered much but playing with FTW3 3080 and it's been doing 2055-2070 with +200 on memory without difficulty. I haven't tried to push it further at this point because my cooling isn't up to it. It's getting into the high 70's in my warm office, but that's not a concern. (that's with a Folding load that pushes 375W or so)

Last edited: