• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
3060Ti with 8gb of VRAM and 3060 with both 6gb and 12gb models, but different memory bus. I wonder how they'll stack up in performance. Can't wait to dig into one of those.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
So the 3060Ti is still planned to release in December? It's kinda weird they release only one card in December, and then launch 4 cards next month.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
And even better when none of them have any stock available by February, and Nvidia just go "we couldn't see this coming".
Hopefully it's just a rumour, and Nvidia knows what it's planning. But really, I'm getting desperate to get a new card with a decent price. I'm starting to consider getting a 3060 or even a 3050Ti because the whole situation on the cards' availability and pricing is ridiculous lol

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
So the 3060Ti is still planned to release in December? It's kinda weird they release only one card in December, and then launch 4 cards next month.
3060Ti is rumored to be a part of these four cards.
But considering that 3060Ti will be using the same GA104 chip as 3070 it can certainly launch earlier than 3060, 3050Ti and 3050 which will be using GA106 and GA107 chips.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone got some pointers in undervolting the 3070? Mine gets to 73 degrees, which is quite a bit warmer than my 1070 Ti which ran like 67 degrees max.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017

AMD made a big selling point out of SAM with 500 series boards as part of how they'd outperform 3xxx cards, this could make benchmarks interesting once out or comes to older hardware (cries in 970 with no freesync)

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017

AMD made a big selling point out of SAM with 500 series boards as part of how they'd outperform 3xxx cards, this could make benchmarks interesting once out or comes to older hardware (cries in 970 with no freesync)

Doh, wanted to post in this thread actually and ended up putting it up on the 6000 series card thread. All these numbers start to look the same haha.

I think AMD will have to enable this feature on older Zen processors if Nvidia manages to pull it off on all CPUs. It would kind of make the Zen 3 exclusivity a dick move on their part. Which is really weird, it's not like old AMD at all..

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
things change when you start leading

Their footnote didn't age well..
"AMD Smart Access Memory is only supported on AMD Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards. Not validated on any other graphics solutions."

I didn't know this but, Microsoft has implemented re-size BAR (smart access memory) since 2017? Has been on Linux for ages now? And Intel supports it for a long time? Why even put a branding on a OS level memory management..

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Doh, wanted to post in this thread actually and ended up putting it up on the 6000 series card thread. All these numbers start to look the same haha.

I think AMD will have to enable this feature on older Zen processors if Nvidia manages to pull it off on all CPUs. It would kind of make the Zen 3 exclusivity a dick move on their part. Which is really weird, it's not like old AMD at all..
MB BIOS support is needed for this to function properly so we'll see how wide of a support NV will manage to have. It should work on AM4 boards which will have compatibility with Zen3 obviously but beyond that - we have to wait and see.

It's true and it's already working in their testing.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
Built my first PC and I got myself an AMD 2700x to go with my 3080. 4K, and everything set to high.

I'm getting around 80FPS for mafia definitive edition. How do I know whether I'm being bottlenecked by my cpu?

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Built my first PC and I got myself an AMD 2700x to go with my 3080. 4K, and everything set to high.

I'm getting around 80FPS for mafia definitive edition. How do I know whether I'm being bottlenecked by my cpu?
Generally if your CPU is at 100% but GPU isn't. Looks like Mafia DE loves as much CPU as you can throw at it though - both cores and raw speed.

www.dsogaming.com

Mafia Definitive Edition PC Performance Analysis

Powered by the same engine that Mafia 3 uses, it's time to benchmark Mafia Definitive Edition and see how it performs on the PC platform.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
Generally if your CPU is at 100% but GPU isn't. Looks like Mafia DE loves as much CPU as you can throw at it though - both cores and raw speed.

www.dsogaming.com

Mafia Definitive Edition PC Performance Analysis

Powered by the same engine that Mafia 3 uses, it's time to benchmark Mafia Definitive Edition and see how it performs on the PC platform.

Look at MSI Afterburner monitoring, it will show the % loads on GPU and CPU cores.
If you're less than 90% on any CPU core while >90% on the GPU then you're not CPU limited.

Thanks. Had a look and my GPU usage is 90%+, while CPU usage is way less than 90!
Great CPU.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Had a look and my GPU usage is 90%+, while CPU usage is way less than 90!
Great CPU.
Keep in mind though that you may be system memory limited and this won't show up in CPU cores load % since what it means is that CPU is waiting for data from memory while being idle.
Some games are notoriously hard on system RAM bandwidth and latency so this is another thing to look into, especially on Zen1/2 CPUs.
But I don't think that Mafia DE is one of them.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know this but, Microsoft has implemented re-size BAR (smart access memory) since 2017? Has been on Linux for ages now? And Intel supports it for a long time? Why even put a branding on a OS level memory management..

Isn't RTX IO basically the same thing? A branded version of Microsoft's upcoming DirectStorage API, which should work on any hardware as long as it is implemented in the driver, since it relies on the DMA capabilities in the PCI-E spec.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't RTX IO basically the same thing? A branded version of Microsoft's upcoming DirectStorage API, which should work on any hardware as long as it is implemented in the driver, since it relies on the DMA capabilities in the PCI-E spec.
no. RTX IO is gpu decompression. it works in conjunction with DirectStorage.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017

Not quite, it's one thing to make an API call from DirectStorage, it's another to handle decompression on tensor cores with their AI algorithms.

SAM is just a motherboard and OS setting..

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Not quite, it's one thing to make an API call from DirectStorage, it's another to handle decompression on tensor cores with their AI algorithms.

SAM is just a motherboard and OS setting..

Evidently SAM does require *some* GPU-side support, given that Nvidia say that they need to release an update for it to work.

Also, do you have a source for the comment about using AI algorithms running on tensor cores to do decompression? I don't see anything like that on Nvidia's RTX IO page, and I would think they would want to advertise such a system if it existed. My assumption had been that it just ran on normal CUDA cores.

Aug 30, 2020
I've been hearing that upcoming Nvidia drivers will allow CPU to write directly to GPU RAM on Ampere for a big boost in speed for those sort of operations.

That should effectively bridge any gap in console IO <-> RAM bandwidth

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Evidently SAM does require *some* GPU-side support, given that Nvidia say that they need to release an update for it to work.

Also, do you have a source for the comment about using AI algorithms running on tensor cores to do decompression? I don't see anything like that on Nvidia's RTX IO page, and I would think they would want to advertise such a system if it existed. My assumption had been that it just ran on normal CUDA cores.

Why would you sacrifice ressources from CUDA cores when you have so much computational power with tensor cores to offload from CPU? Most of the decompression happens to use 8-bit int math operations, which the tensor cores are oozing with.

It's the same reason why Microsoft focused a bit more on RDNA 2 ML to support 8-bit/4-bit int acceleration while not having a decompression hardware module like PS5.

As for AI, it's not a question of if, but when. Deep learning lossless compression/decompression or even enhance the original textures on the fly as we'll see on Xbox.
Link, Link 2, Link 3

Nvidia increased focus on tensor cores immensely on Ampere and unless you work on deep learning, tech sites don't really know or can benchmark the benefits of it. But it's the biggest generational leap on Ampere. But they are definitely following Microsoft's approach. You don't go from 89 TOPS to 238 TOPS just for DLSS 2.1 and do nothing with that huge die silicon area dedicated to math crunching.

The GOAT

Nov 2, 2017
Finally fired up 3080 FTW3 Ultra last night. Everything looks to be in order. The LED stuff is ridiculous looking, bit gaudy for my taste, but my new PC build is chock full of LEDs everywhere. I took what I could get when it came available. Just happened that most of those things were LED happy. At least it can be disabled.

Aug 30, 2020
Wow, undervolted my 3080 real quick today.

It really does perform better, better FM scores. More stable clocks, AND cooler. I didn't even go super aggressive, but if I only undervolted a little it didn't actually go faster.

I tested in some common RT crashing games - Shadow of the Tomb Raider, just a bit. But obviously I'll have to play more to really see if it's truly stable.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're in panic mode right now, because AMD caught them offguard.
Or it was their plan all along, who knows.
jebaited-100801195-large.jpg

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Evidently SAM does require *some* GPU-side support
Driver must support the feature obviously.

Why would you sacrifice ressources from CUDA cores when you have so much computational power with tensor cores to offload from CPU? Most of the decompression happens to use 8-bit int math operations, which the tensor cores are oozing with.
Tensor math isn't you ordinary INT8 math and if you're running INT8 scalar math you can't take advantage of tensor matrix multiplication.
I wouldn't expect NV to use tensor array for assets decompression, it will likely run on ordinary SIMDs.

I think they're in panic mode right now, because AMD caught them offguard.
Or it was their plan all along, who knows.
They wouldn't have launched first if this was remotely true.
What "too many SKUs" are they launching? We have three Ampere based cards launched at the moment: 3070, 3080 and 3090.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
They fucked the air cooler owners so hard. Like I wouldn't have bought the ftw3 if I know the hybrid is only 10 bucks more.
Meh, not everyone is going to want something like this, but if you want to turn your air card into one of these, the kit is only $120.

www.evga.com

EVGA HYBRID Kit for EVGA GeForce RTX 3090/3080 XC3, 400-HY-1978-B1, ARGB

The EVGA HYBRID cooler for the EVGA GeForce RTX 3090/3080 XC3 cards is an All-in-One water cooling solution that significantly lowers the GPU and VRAM operating temperature. Best of all? The water cooler is completely self-contained with the included 240mm radiator and fans. No filling, no...

www.evga.com

EVGA HYBRID Kit for EVGA GeForce RTX 3090/3080 FTW3, 400-HY-1988-B1, ARGB

The EVGA HYBRID cooler for the EVGA GeForce RTX 3090/3080 FTW3 cards is an All-in-One water cooling solution that significantly lowers the GPU and VRAM operating temperature. Best of all? The water cooler is completely self-contained with the included 240mm radiator and ARGB fans. No filling, no...

Very fair price for a block + rad AIO. All EVGA cards warranty protection covers you doing the conversion as well because EVGA's warranty support fuckin rocks.

I'm curious to see how a 2-fan radiator can actually do for cooling a card that offers a 500W bios. Cooling 450-500W with a 240 rad sounds...difficult. And probably a bit loud as those fans ramp up to try to maintain temps.

Are their hybrid cards usually petty good? I'd want to see independent verification of those temps. It would definitely help with maintaining frequencies.

That said, the hydro copper is definitely going to be intriguing for those looking to go full open loop. I've been looking at waterblocks and all that for my card, but I didn't expect either of these options to be so close in price to the air cards. I will definitely consider selling my card to just get a premade hydro copper card. With my 2x radiators, I should probably be able to see about a 40% reduction in load temps compared to what I'm seeing right now once my loop has been assembled. And unlike a lot of people, I really like how the EVGA hydro copper looks. :)

Last edited:

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I've kind of wondered this. If you already have a AIO for your CPU cooler, where do you put the radiator for a GPU? At the front of the case?

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Meh, not everyone is going to want something like this, but if you want to turn your air card into one of these, the kit is only $120.

www.evga.com

EVGA HYBRID Kit for EVGA GeForce RTX 3090/3080 XC3, 400-HY-1978-B1, ARGB

The EVGA HYBRID cooler for the EVGA GeForce RTX 3090/3080 XC3 cards is an All-in-One water cooling solution that significantly lowers the GPU and VRAM operating temperature. Best of all? The water cooler is completely self-contained with the included 240mm radiator and fans. No filling, no...

www.evga.com

EVGA HYBRID Kit for EVGA GeForce RTX 3090/3080 FTW3, 400-HY-1988-B1, ARGB

The EVGA HYBRID cooler for the EVGA GeForce RTX 3090/3080 FTW3 cards is an All-in-One water cooling solution that significantly lowers the GPU and VRAM operating temperature. Best of all? The water cooler is completely self-contained with the included 240mm radiator and ARGB fans. No filling, no...

Very fair price for a block + rad AIO. All EVGA cards warranty protection covers you doing the conversion as well because EVGA's warranty support fuckin rocks.

I'm curious to see how a 2-fan radiator can actually do for cooling a card that offers a 500W bios. Cooling 450-500W with a 240 rad sounds...difficult. And probably a bit loud as those fans ramp up to try to maintain temps.

Are their hybrid cards usually petty good? I'd want to see independent verification of those temps. It would definitely help with maintaining frequencies.

That said, the hydro copper is definitely going to be intriguing for those looking to go full open loop. I've been looking at waterblocks and all that for my card, but I didn't expect either of these options to be so close in price to the air cards. I will definitely consider selling my card to just get a premade hydro copper card. With my 2x radiators, I should probably be able to see about a 40% reduction in load temps compared to what I'm seeing right now once my loop has been assembled. And unlike a lot of people, I really like how the EVGA hydro copper looks. :)
It will still be far better then any GPU air cooler out today. I had a GPU AIO on my 2080 ti which was a 240mm and that thing ran very cool even when I overclocked it hard. Never exceeded 55c. I doubt that the 3080 with the Hybrid cooler will disappoint. It has a fan to cool PCB components as well. I also have a pair of Noctua A12 fans. I saw the kit and already signed up for availability.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I've kind of wondered this. If you already have a AIO for your CPU cooler, where do you put the radiator for a GPU? At the front of the case?
You put this in the front or top of your case.

With this kind of setup, ideal would be a 360 CPU AIO in the front of your case and this on top. If your case is smaller, then it doesn't really matter which position in the case this is placed.

It will still be far better then any GPU air cooler out today. I had a GPU AIO on my 2080 ti which was a 240mm and that thing ran very cool even when I overclocked it hard. Never exceeded 55c. I doubt that the 3080 with the Hybrid cooler will disappoint. It has a fan to cool PCB components as well. I also have a pair of Noctua A12 fans. I saw the kit and already signed up for availability.
Really good to know.

So again, the option is out there and EXTREMELY affordable for current EVGA 3000 card owners. $120 to turn your card into one of these Hybrids. Sure it would have been nice to only pay $50 to get a card like this out of the box (I had assumed these would be hundreds more), but this kit is only $70 more than that and the kit is going to be infinitely easier to buy than trying to get a boxed Hybrid card in retail.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
that would be the only acceptable place, you cannot put closed loops on the bottom, so has to be front with CPU on top
You put this in the front or top of your case.

With this kind of setup, ideal would be a 360 AIO in the front of your case and this on top.

Really good to know.

So again, the option is out there and EXTREMELY affordable for current EVGA 3000 card owners. $120 to turn your card into one of these Hybrids. Sure it would have been nice to only pay $50, but it's only $70 more and the kit is going to be infinitely easier to buy than trying to get a card like this in retail.
Thanks for the responses. I was just curious. It would be some effort for me to take out all of the drive stuff that I have in the front of the case, and relocate various drives for this to be worth it for me, it seems.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
ShadowSoldier89 i forgot to ask: how loud were the fans on your AIO? 55C is awesome, but I'm wondering how audible the fans were. Some AIO cooler setups are pretty rough in this regard.

Thanks for the responses. I was just curious. It would be some effort for me to take out all of the drive stuff that I have in the front of the case, and relocate various drives for this to be worth it for me, it seems.
oh yea you'd want to get a case designed to have fans in the front and top.