• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
But you only need 2x8, or does the Strix have different connectors?

Strix is 3x8, TUF is 2x8.

yCG12Vv.png

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
i read that even the Founder's Editions will have a 0rpm mode!

my 2080 FE has fans running at 41% minimum no matter what. if we can turn off fans on these new Founder cards I'll be very happy.
My EVGA card is constantly clicking the fans on and off again at the most normal room temperatures. Like a relay-clicking sound. Adjusting the fan curve to them off entirely makes the card go supernova, only option is to keep the fans on all the time or increase the update time and thresholds to make it click less frequently.

So I'm really wary when it comes to 0 RPM modes. Buying graphics cards since 1999, I had EVGA cards twice and both had dumb design issues that made me unhappy with the card, was the most all-round happy with a GTX 970 Strix, so I kinda want a Strix again, but 3x 8 pin? Why??

Edit:
And on top of all of this, the 3080 oddly enough seems like a way better value proposition than the 3070, and I would almost feel dumb for buying a 3070 even at $200 cheaper.
I feel like nobody is going for the 3070 cards. I would probably be happy with 3070, but the TFLOP/$ just makes you go "If I spend this much, I might as well spend a little more and get the best value".

Is this Nvidia's strategy? Have they foreseen this in production terms too? Or will the 3080s be sold out immediately and 3070s in stock everywhere maybe even going down in price right away?

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
0CFrPyw.png

I can't stop looking at this cooler height, guys. lmao

Also, are Colorful cards not sold in the US? Never really heard of the brand, but their AIO card looks sick.

KO6QEyA.png

I don't know if Colorful cards are sell in the US, but it's a good Chinese brand you can buy from their official store in places like AliExpress if you can't find them elsewhere

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
So if I have a 011 dynamic and my gpu is vertically mounted, would it be a bad idea to get the founders edition? I really like the look but the airflow might not be great for it to be vertically mounted.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Don't bother because I called them recently myself. My 2080 ti was a gigabyte card and I called them to ask them about removing the cooler for cleaning. They informed don't even think about it lol.

Some might argue that it would be hard to know if you removed the cooler, but an experienced technician will tell you otherwise. The thermal paste application would greatly differ from factory application. Screws might have marks on them as well. So it ends up to the discretion of the technician inspecting the card. I won't take that chance for a $700+ product.
Roger that and I agree. I'll have to think really hard about how I feel about the Gigabyte designs and have a good look at their cooling performance when the reviews hit. I may sit out GPU water cooling for another generation if the air cooling solutions are really good. But if I'm not impressed by the air coolers AND IF Ampere scales better than Turing for overclocking with better cooling...I'll 100% be going EVGA or someone with similar policies.

I don't know if Colorful cards are sell in the US, but it's a good Chinese brand you can buy from their official store in places like AliExpress if you can't find them elsewhere
Ah okay. I'll keep that in mind. That's a beautiful card. I probably wouldn't pick them up then. Companies that don't have a US presence mean potentially scary warranty coverage and responsiveness.

So if I have a 011 dynamic and my gpu is vertically mounted, would it be a bad idea to get the founders edition? I really like the look but the airflow might not be great for it to be vertically mounted.
FWIW, almost every one of these partner cards also have their 3rd/back fans blowing though vents in the card just like the FE. I assume it'll be fine. Or, it won't be any worse with the FE than with the partner cards.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Roger that and I agree. I'll have to think really hard about how I feel about the Gigabyte designs and have a good look at their cooling performance when the reviews hit. I may sit out GPU water cooling for another generation if the air cooling solutions are really good. But if I'm not impressed by the air coolers AND IF Ampere scales better than Turing for overclocking with better cooling...I'll 100% be going EVGA or someone with similar policies.

Ah okay. I'll keep that in mind. That's a beautiful card. I probably wouldn't pick them up then. Companies that don't have a US presence mean potentially scary warranty coverage and responsiveness.

FWIW, almost every one of these partner cards also have their 3rd fans blowing though vents just like the FE. I assume it'll be fine. Or, it won't be any worse with the FE than with the partner cards.
Perfect thanks. I don't really do any overclocking on my gpu anyways so I assume temps should be fine.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Alternate.de got their first listings: RTX 3090 TUF for 1599, RTX 3090 TUF OC for 1629; 3080 is 759 and 788 respectively

No pre-orders obviously

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
My EVGA card is constantly clicking the fans on and off again at the most normal room temperatures. Like a relay-clicking sound. Adjusting the fan curve to them off entirely makes the card go supernova, only option is to keep the fans on all the time or increase the update time and thresholds to make it click less frequently.

So I'm really wary when it comes to 0 RPM modes. Buying graphics cards since 1999, I had EVGA cards twice and both had dumb design issues that made me unhappy with the card, was the most all-round happy with a GTX 970 Strix, so I kinda want a Strix again, but 3x 8 pin? Why??

How hot is it getting? Are you talking about gaming, or just normal (non-gaming) use? If you're talking non-gaming use, I'd suggest two things:

1.) Make sure you GPU is going down to its idle voltage. Software/Nvidia driver issues can sometimes bump this way up and heat things up unnecessarily. But if it's properly downvolting to the lowest voltage, the GPU should stay at a good temp when idle.

2.) Software can make it do crazy things. I actually disable hardware acceleration in Firefox because almost any action will momentarily send the voltage to max voltage. The CPU handling things has zero impact and can handle things without even noticing. I don't know why the GPU goes so batshit if tasked to do the same things.

3.) If you're combining both of those issues (the voltage not dropping the way it should, and something like Firefox constantly hammering in unnecessarily), I could see where a fan could enter purgatory mode.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent news. Thank you.

One other quick question: I assume I can extract that piece of the floor of the case that sits up against the bottom fan? I'll need that depth for the AIO rad.
You can remove that floor panel, you can also remove those two perforated steel you see behind it/above PSU if you want, but there's also a place for AIO on top of case with a magnetic dust filter.

Cry3Qp1.jpg

o2zvbIi.jpg

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really not looking forward to these being sold out day one and having to wait months and months checking stock everyday to get one. FeelsBadMan

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I am now leaning towards an FE, with the thought that it's likely to have a 3rd-party AIO aftermarket option, if the cooling/noise is truly sub-par. I'm going to miss my current Hybrid setup, where I was able to set a specific fan speed/noise level, and forget it. In my living room, the noise level changing was much more annoying than having it be audible when driven lightly.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
You can remove that perforated steel if you want, but there's also a place for AIO on top of case with a magnetic dust filter.

Cool. Thanks again. I think the top of the Lancool 2 Mesh can only take a 240 rad can't it?
If so, I'll deffo be needing my 360 AIO up front. But I'll have some additional exhaust fans out of the top I imagine.

I like your white case btw, am likely going to go black, but the white does look very smart.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
i read that even the Founder's Editions will have a 0rpm mode!

my 2080 FE has fans running at 41% minimum no matter what. if we can turn off fans on these new Founder cards I'll be very happy.

I flashed my founder's 2060 S to a EVGA card, I now have 0rpm mode and custom RGB Geforce RTX colors. That's right, Nvidia FE cards have full RGB lighting but for some reason they are disabled. I actually flashed back to the FE bios because i might sell it when i get a 3070 :D

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

Yep, that's probably an issue. They do sell under other brands in some territories though, under brands like Palit or Galaxy

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Thanks again. I think the top of the Lancool 2 Mesh can only take a 240 rad can't it?
If so, I'll deffo be needing my 360 AIO up front. But I'll have some additional exhaust fans out of the top I imagine.

I like your white case btw, am likely going to go black, but the white does look very smart.
Yea 360 up front and 240 up top.
I actually changed my mind about white, and asked them to switch it to black but they had already shipped by then. When it arrived and I got to see it, I changed my mind again. The only thing is the case is a bit too wide for me so I have to orient it like the way you see it in picture, as previously I had it to the left side of my table parallel to the side and close to the wall. But for me to do that with this I'd have t move my table a few cm to the right which I can't do since then it blocks the door to my ensuite...so it doesn't really leave a lot of room for my legs.

Ah well I'll get used to it, atleast this orientation means I can make full use of the window and see everything inside properly.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
it absolutely will be a bottle neck.
It absolutely won't.

A) it's GDDR6x which is faster

B) we are moving towards new ways for Data handling with fast SSD moving in for caching/ streaming support etc.

With current ways of programming, 10gb might be a low number for games coming out in few years time, but with new I/O methods, vram amount is becoming less important.

People need to stop that silly "10gb is not enough" nonsense

Oct 28, 2017
To all responders above to my post:

I mostly play action games like Batman Arkham series, Assasins Creed, occasional RTS, open world stuff like GTA, Red Dead, The Witcher 3, those are my favorite genres. Don't really play many shooters or play competitively at all.

that's why I'm trying to figure out if the 3000 series is for me or wait and see if I can get a cheap 2000 series card used.

I can honestly afford up to maybe a 3080 but if it's going to be a total waste for my 1080p 144hz monitor since that's the max I can do, then no point in spending that kind of money

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
That video has actually made me way more worried that 10GB could be a real bottleneck in a couple of years.

It will be, but you should replace in 2 to 3 years. Nvidia is trying to lock in users like me vs those who might want 16GB or 20GB models. You could stuggle on 3080 all gen if you sacrifice.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017

As long you have bottom intake and top exhaust fans your are fine and since you have an O11 you also probaby have an AIO on your CPU which makes it even better.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
How hot is it getting? Are you talking about gaming, or just normal (non-gaming) use? If you're talking non-gaming use, I'd suggest two things:

1.) Make sure you GPU is going down to its idle voltage. Software/Nvidia driver issues can sometimes bump this way up and heat things up unnecessarily. But if it's properly downvolting to the lowest voltage, the GPU should stay at a good temp when idle.

2.) Software can make it do crazy things. I actually disable hardware acceleration in Firefox because almost any action will momentarily send the voltage to max voltage. The CPU handling things has zero impact and can handle things without even noticing. I don't know why the GPU goes so batshit if tasked to do the same things.

3.) If you're combining both of those issues (the voltage not dropping the way it should, and something like Firefox constantly hammering in unnecessarily), I could see where a fan could enter purgatory mode.
I just tried point 2 in Chrome, where I have YouTube on on the right half of the screen a lot. Clicking seems gone, but it's pretty cool in my room right now and GPU temps only dropped 4°C in comparison.

Really, thanks for the tip, but from my personal consumer perspective, this is an EVGA design flaw, they didn't even bother to tune the default profile to make clicking occur much less frequently. Not gonna buy one of their cards again and not planning on having my current card much longer.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
It absolutely won't.

A) it's GDDR6x which is faster

B) we are moving towards new ways for Data handling with fast SSD moving in for caching/ streaming support etc.

With current ways of programming, 10gb might be a low number for games coming out in few years time, but with new I/O methods, vram amount is becoming less important.

People need to stop that silly "10gb is not enough" nonsense
Consoles have 10+ GB for vram hence that is becoming the minimum.

as for I/O method exploiting the storage speed, that just means devs will vastly increase density/quality of textures and data in the games. They will squeeze everything from the hardware they have.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
It's 2020 and people still don't realize they can just sell their old card on eBay.

mid you have founders cards especially you can sell for little loss.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
With UE5 not needing the same texture in a thousand different resolutions anymore, won't we need less VRAM for the same fidelity in the future? Also the texture streaming from NVMe drives to stream into the VRAM will mean that a lot less VRAM will be needed at any given time.

Very fast but not necessarily a lot of VRAM with super fast PCIe pipelines and NVMe storage will be the future.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Consoles have 10+ GB for vram hence that is becoming the minimum.

as for I/O method exploiting the storage speed, that just means devs will vastly increase density/quality of textures and data in the games. They will squeeze everything from the hardware they have.
It's not just about that.
Fast IO simply means you don't need to store as much information in RAM as anything you want can be fetched within single digit seconds...no matter the complexity of textures you never need more than a few gigs for the next 30 seconds of gameplay. This timing will get reduced for a lot of things due to fast IO. There's no point storing something you're going to need in 30 seconds for all 30 of those seconds when you can simply call for it 3-4 seconds before it's needed.

Also console RAM is a) not as fast and b) shared with system RAM/CPU. So that 13GB is not all used for VRAM. And no one's making PC specific ultra textures that's a step beyond console for the next 4 years.

Lastly fast IO also means virtualized textures are a good option and data duplication will be minimal to non existent, further strengthning the case for virtual textures. And when you virtualize textures, the textures will basically take close to no VRAM. Epic virtualized textures and geometry in that UE5 demo.

Last edited:

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
lol what the fuck are these takes

you guys are crazy today.
I bet the majority of folks that complain about low VRAM will upgrade their GPUs in 2 years anyways.

Oh and PLEASE REMEMBER GUYS: Don't buy 3080 cards with 10GB RAM. Make sure to spread the message on facebook, twitter, reddit, friends & family, your parrot, cats, dogs and goldfish.

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yup. Boycott this shit or Nvidia will not learn their lesson. If you really need to upgrade, it makes way more sense to buy a 2080ti that people are selling on ebay and get the extra vram. #GamersRevolution
😂
Wait, didn't I laugh about this post already? Never mind, it's just to funny 😂

To arms! Let the revolution begin!!

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Yes, 10gb is not enough! Please, do not buy any 3080s near launch as a boycott measure!

Let me get mine, god dammit

Azurik

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Laugh it up, I'll be laughing when you guys are trying to sell your 3080s for 100 bucks in a year while I'm cruising through the decade with my 2080ti.
Whatever rocks your boat. While you are enjoying your 2080ti for the decade, I will have enjoyed the 3090 and moved on to the 4090 and gifted the 3090 to a family member. Different priorities I guess 🤷🏼‍♂️

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I bet the majority of folks that complain about low VRAM will upgrade their GPUs in 2 years anyways.

Oh and PLEASE REMEMBER GUYS: Don't buy 3080 cards with 10GB RAM. Make sure to spread the message on facebook, twitter, reddit, friends & family, your parrot, cats, dogs and goldfish.

But we've been over this, the 10GB of vram will be fi...

Yes, spread the message! Don't buy the 10GB version, wait and ask for BETTER! You NEED more VRAM in your shiny new cards! Don't succumb to nvidia's cheap tricks!

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
lol what the fuck are these takes

you guys are crazy today.

It's not just today.

I'm to the point where I'm ready to go Don Mattrick on them: "If you're so sure that 10GB of GDDR6X is going to bottleneck you, we have a card for you: it's called the RTX 3090."

It's not just about that.
Fast IO simply means you don't need to store as much information in RAM as anything you want can be fetched within single digit seconds...no matter the complexity of textures you never need more than a few gigs for the next 30 seconds of gameplay. This timing will get reduced for a lot of things due to fast IO. There's no point storing something you're going to need in 30 seconds for all 30 of those seconds when you can simply call for it 3-4 seconds before it's needed.

Also console RAM is a) not as fast and b) shared with system RAM/CPU. So that 13GB is not all used for VRAM. And no one's making PC specific ultra textures that's a step beyond console for the next 4 years.

100%. Plus, as time goes on, we'll be playing fewer and fewer AAA titles in native 4K. DLSS + RT is already going to be the norm for 3000 series owners on new AAA titles this holiday season. It's not going to become less common going forward.