• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Anyone else pausing their playthroughs of demanding games, because of these cards? I'm on a 1080ti, and had dipped into Control, RDR2, and Death Stranding... now I'm out here playing Spelunky every day because I can't wait to see how a 3080 tackles those titles.

I specifically did that for The Witcher 3, I got about 70% of the way through that game and stopped because I really wanted to finish it with better performance as no GPU I've owned has been able to run the game at a locked 4K 60fps, the 3080 should crush that.

Also I really hope the 3080 will be able to max out Cyberpunk with DLSS 2.0 and RTX at 4K 60fps, because as powerful as the 3080 is I still have my doubts.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Very much emotional decision than logical one when you think about it.

tbh I do lean more towards to getting 3080 to replace my 2080Ti, with option of 3080Ti next year if it's decent leap when thinking logically about it. Tho I doubt 3080Ti will be that enticing for owners of 3080s because there is no much performance gap between 80 and 90 as is, when we ignore VRAM counts.
I'd love to see some of you guys at a car dealership. I'm pretty sure half of you would get talked into all kinds of impractical shit you don't need, with the salesman just saying smooth shit like, "you deserve it" and "you only live once; treat yourself" and "I've had so many customers come back and tell me, 'I regretted not getting the one I really wanted...'" We got people in here stretching and contorting like Mr. Fantastic trying to justify the price tags, right down to trying to calculate "frames per dollar" and performance per month. People that aren't even educated enough to know how their PSU works or if their CPU is decent. Like, really. I shudder when I think about how some of you probably manage your money. lol

I really, really encourage all of you to cool off a little and wait for the reviews. Think about what monitor you're going to pair with your GPU for the next 2-3 years and look only at what it's going to take to drive that monitor to the frames you want to reach comfortably. That's all that matters, and there is a good to great chance that the 3080 is going to check all of your boxes. Because in 3 years or so, you're going to be upgrading to something far superior to these cards anyway. Consider making some spread sheets with pros and cons, and goal framerates for your favorite games. I'm sure it will help some of you make a sober selection.

Spending in excess of your actual needs are for what you want to do is like spending for a GT3 when a regular 911 was going to be enough for your daily driver experience. If you're going to push a 3090 (high end VR @ 4K+ per eye, 4K+ @ 144+ monitors, 8K TVs, etc), it should be a strong contender. For everyone NOT planning on buying a $1,000 VR setup and/or a $1500 monitor in the forseeable future...relax a bit.

You know what's funny? If they had just called the 3090 a "Titan", half of the people considering the 3090 wouldn't even think about it. You'd know the audience is not for general gamers. But them changing up the name to align with the rest of the product stack has some of you fucked up. Brilliant, actually.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
$650. You selling tho? Whatchu working with?
What? The 3070 will be 500 bucks. Why would you spend 650 on an old 2080ti?
Nvidia-RTX-3000-performance-graph-1212x681.jpg

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see some of you guys at a car dealership. I'm pretty sure half of you would get talked into all kinds of impractical shit you don't need, with the salesman just saying smooth shit like, "you deserve it" and "you only live once; treat yourself" and "I've had so many customers come back and tell me, 'I regretted not getting the one I really wanted...'" We got people in here stretching and contorting like Mr. Fantastic trying to justify the price tags, right down to trying to calculate "frames per dollar" and performance per month. People that aren't even educated enough to know how their PSU works or if their CPU is decent. Like, really. I shudder when I think about how some of you probably manage your money. lol

I really, really encourage all of you to cool off a little and wait for the reviews. Think about what monitor you're going to pair with your GPU for the next 2-3 years and look only at what it's going to take to drive that monitor to the frames you want to reach comfortably. That's all that matters, and there is a good to great chance that the 3080 is going to check all of your boxes. Because in 3 years or so, you're going to be upgrading to something far superior to these cards anyway. Consider making some spread sheets with pros and cons, and goal framerates for your favorite games. I'm sure it will help some of you make a sober selection.

Spending in excess of your actual needs are for what you want to do is like spending for a GT3 when a regular 911 was going to be enough for your daily driver experience. If you're going to push a 3090 (high end VR @ 4K+ per eye, 4K+ @ 144+ monitors, 8K TVs, etc), it should be a strong contender. For everyone NOT planning on buying a $1,000 VR setup and/or a $1500 monitor in the forseeable future...relax a bit.

You know what's funny? If they had just called the 3090 a "Titan", half of the people considering the 3090 wouldn't even think about it. You'd know the audience is not for general gamers. But them changing up the name to align with the rest of the product stack has some of you fucked up. Brilliant, actually.
Oh look, everyone, fun police is here.

Good post sir.

flip

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any HDMI 2.1 monitors (not televisions) on the horizon to take advantage of these next gen cards? I can't seem to find anything upcoming.

Ideally, something similar to a 27" 5K like Apple's, since their solution basically doubled their pixels exactly, resulting in a seamless UI doubling in DPI terms.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What are you doing Dreams-Visions?! If they wanna piss their money away by getting a 3090 let them. The less people eyeing the 3080, the better for the rest of us. lol

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017

No don't listen to this guy, you all buy the 3090 it's like the bees knees. If you don't buy it you'll just regret it, trust me! You owe it to yourself to treat yourself to something you deserve once in a while!

...and leave the 3080 stock alone so I have a better chance of nabbing one

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I'd love to see some of you guys at a car dealership. I'm pretty sure half of you would get talked into all kinds of impractical shit you don't need, with the salesman just saying smooth shit like, "you deserve it" and "you only live once; treat yourself" and "I've had so many customers come back and tell me, 'I regretted not getting the one I really wanted...'" We got people in here stretching and contorting like Mr. Fantastic trying to justify the price tags, right down to trying to calculate "frames per dollar" and performance per month. Like, really. I shudder when I think about how some of you probably manage your money. lol

Well to be fair you don't know me, at all. So maybe don't make me poster child for this stuff?

Yeah my few posts do give impression, but hardly accurate one of for how I process decisions on big investments.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Still surprised to not have seen many dispute/refund claims for recent sales through eBay
Was pretty sure they'd be everywhere after the RTX 3000 announcement

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017

I think he means right now. Yes the 3070 will be out soon and may be a bit more powerful, but you'll have to wait another month and even then you may not get one. And if you get one you may end up paying $600 or so for it.

I think asking for $600 is reasonable right now. Seek out those who want a 2080ti/3070 level card and can't wait to get there hands on it right now.

But yeah, once the 3070 is out the value of the 2080ti will permanently be under $500. But trying to get more right now is definitely a reasonable thing to do.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
A bird in hand is better than two in the bush. Trying to snatch up a "cheap" 2080 Ti and wait to see how things settle is a plan I've more or less settled on. I'm not going to bank on something that homies are going to be running over each other for in the first few weeks-to-months of availability.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

Yeah by the time the 3080 is a bottleneck for many things, the 4080 will be coming out.

You could probably about get a 3080 + 4080 for the price of a 3090 and that 3090 will undoubtedly be overtaken in a couple years anyway.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I'm guessing I'm right on the bubble:

EVGA 110-BQ-0600-K1 600 BQ, 80+

3080 max for me, maybe a 3070.

I guess it is 600w on the 12v rail, so probably fine, right?

Nvidia recommends 650w for the 3070, so if you are aiming for those GPU it's probably better to go for a 650w at least.

That's the only good PSU avaliable on my country so I'm gonna go for that one and call it a day, but I'm aiming towards a 3060 so I'm good

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody getting a 3080 and can get away with 2.x slot cards better get one and save the two slots for those that need it. Like me. Me me me!

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
A lot of people are just nostalgic for the days of SLI, you know? Being reminded of that old 690 brings a smile to their faces.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Are there any HDMI 2.1 monitors (not televisions) on the horizon to take advantage of these next gen cards? I can't seem to find anything upcoming.

Ideally, something similar to a 27" 5K like Apple's, since their solution basically doubled their pixels exactly, resulting in a seamless UI doubling in DPI terms.
They're coming. I'm eyeing the 32 or 43-inch.

Deleted member 420

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my m.2 slot is right under where my graphic card goes. Can I even fit a fancy m.2 with a heatsink?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah by the time the 3080 is a bottleneck for many things, the 4080 will be coming out.

You could probably about get a 3080 + 4080 for the price of a 3090 and that 3090 will undoubtedly be overtaken in a couple years anyway.
most likely. lol

I feel like I don't belong in this forum anymore...
srry big baller problems 💵

I think my m.2 slot is right under where my graphic card goes. Can I even fit a fancy m.2 with a heatsink?
Yea, it won't be a problem. The heat sinks are designed with the PCIe slot's length + standoff in mind.

They're coming. I'm eyeing the 32 or 43-inch.
For everyone not balling like BobLoblaw, understand that these monitors will be hitting shelves at $1700+. Just some perspective. It'll be awhile before normal prices hit HDMI 2.1 monitors.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile

I wonder how many of them would've bought the 1050Ti over the 1060 3gb because of the VRam

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
OK so i'll wait to play the Control DLC until I can buy a 3080. My 1080ti runs it fine, but I want that RTX stuff.
Curious how the prices and availability of the 3rd party cards will turn out.
What do you think will the likes of Asus, EVGA and MSI charge for their 3080 versions?

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
OK so i'll wait to play the Control DLC until I can buy a 3080. My 1080ti runs it fine, but I want that RTX stuff.
Curious how the prices and availability of the 3rd party cards will turn out.
What do you think will the likes of Asus, EVGA and MSI charge for their 3080 versions?

All I know is that Asus want 3080 Ti money for their Strix 3080
And the 3080 Ti isn't even a thing yet (or at all)...

Nov 5, 2017
I just hope ResetEra updates this thread with a threadmark that lists the resellers that are selling the new RTX cards before launch day. The last thing I want to do is go hunting for these new cards on launch and them selling out in hours or minutes.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's the only way to play it. Good decision.

All of those companies will have base variants that are close to or only slightly more than FE MSRP. Then they will have other variants that will sit in the +100-$250 range or so. Then they will have their "sprinkled in diamond dust and blessed with holy water from Smokey 's bathtub" variants that will add anywhere from +50%-100% to the MSRP price tag.

Performance delta between any of them is unlikely to be more than a few percentage points, but generally speaking the bigger the cooler the cooler it will run (and the higher sustained clocks it can boost to). Even then...still just a few percentage points. Decide what kinds of on-card features are important to you that you are willing to pay extra for (eg. dual bios, LEDs, on-card displays, super cooling, liquid cooling) and watch for the reviews. Expect every major manufacturer of note to compete in every pricing segment. +$50, +$100, +$150, +$250 and up.

Deleted member 50232

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Based on past launches how quickly are these likely to sell out from the Nvidia store?

Are we talking the first hour? Sooner?

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The most convincing argument for me against getting a 3090 (instead of a 3080) is that I could sell the 3080 and probably make up the loss with how much extra I'd have spent on the 3090 and buy the 3080 Ti if/when it happens.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017

650 is too much but I get where he's coming from. Unless you go for FE you most def won't get a 3070 for 500 and there's probably some good AIB 2080Tis on the market right now.

It's what I did when the 1070 came out and I went for a used high quality 980Ti instead when people were getting into fistfights over the new cards which weren't even close to MSRP in the first couple of months.

Still, you probably shouldn't pay more than 500 for a used 2080Ti lol

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to need the 3090 for the 24 GB of vram, not only for gaming but for the real time upscaling I typically run through my video player. The algorithm very vram intensive and currently the 8 GB of vram I have isn't enough for it when upscaling 4K in real time. Hopefully with the insane specs and 24 GB of vram I can actually use it in 4k.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
It's the only way to play it. Good decision.

All of those companies will have base variants that are close to or only slightly more than FE MSRP. Then they will have other variants that will sit in the +100-$250 range or so. Then they will have their "sprinkled in diamond dust and blessed with holy water from Smokey 's bathtub" variants that will add anywhere from +50%-100% to the MSRP price tag.

Performance delta between any of them is unlikely to be more than a few percentage points, but generally speaking the bigger the cooler the cooler it will run (and the higher sustained clocks it can boost to). Even then...still just a few percentage points. Decide what kinds of on-card features are important to you that you are willing to pay extra for (eg. dual bios, LEDs, on-card displays, super cooling, liquid cooling) and watch for the reviews. Expect every major manufacturer of note to compete in every pricing segment. +$50, +$100, +$150, +$250 and up.

Thanks for the answer! Good cooling and quite operation are important to me, because my PC is at the upper level of the house and it can get rather hot there in the summer.
Will wait for the price of the MSI 3080 gaming and see if it'll be worth it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Pretty quickly. Just make sure your account is up-to-date with payment info already saved and you should be good. Just get there soon as they go up.
Oh speaking of....

Pro Tip / PSA: Call your bank the day before or the morning of. Let them know you're going to be making a larger purchase and not to hold anything.

I've seen too many people get fucked up by having to stop and call their bank because their purchase got declined in the cart only to miss their opportunity.

Don't forget, guys.

Oct 29, 2017
I need to change my Liang Li O11 case due to a defect from day 1, I just wasnt bothered to return it

Anyone have a Corsair Air 540 that can vouch for it? I really prefer the dual chamber design and I like that it's more low profile than my current one.
It was a great case for its time, and it is still a solid choice, but it has a few outdated design choices. You cannot put fans on the bottom for instance, because it uses that space for displaying HDDs.

I haven't had experience with this one, but Thermaltake has a dual chamber case that is not too dissimilar to the O11 dynamic called the Thermaltake View 51

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
The Gigabyte 3080 Eagle has 2xHDMI 2.1 and 3xDP1.4a for those who want a cheaper card with many outputs
The Asus TUF line does as well. Only ones I've seen with 2x HDMI 2.1's, though I'd assume there are a few others at least.

Auros Master and Extreme have 3x HDMI 2.1's 👀

But yea, most cards only having 1 has me sweating a little. But we can always buy a switch if it becomes needed.

Nov 14, 2017
I'm going to need the 3090 for the 24 GB of vram, not only for gaming but for the real time upscaling I typically run through my video player. The algorithm very vram intensive and currently the 8 GB of vram I have isn't enough for it when upscaling 4K in real time. Hopefully with the insane specs and 24 GB of vram I can actually use it in 4k.
What algorithm do you use? A second of raw 4k footage at 24bpp is only half a gigabyte. Obviously it would be more at 10bpp, but I don't know what media you'd be getting with a 10bit source where it's less than 4k to begin with.

Oct 29, 2017
Flight Sim doesn't support DLSS. I'd be surprised if it doesn't come along with the RT patch but nothing has been confirmed yet so for now you will need to consider performance at the native resolution you are comfortable playing at. It's by far and away the most demanding game on the market so your best bet is to buy the most expensive 3000 series GPU you can afford, it will eat up anything you throw at it.

You'll need to give up the idea of running it at a locked 60fps as well as currently no CPU on the market can achieve that, so it doesn't matter what GPU you use, you're not getting a locked 60fps.

The 3060 hasn't been announced yet, so while we can make an educated guess on its performance and price, it will only be a guess.

I can easily get over the 30FPS part, also AFAIK the game supports render scaling, so if the UI is 4K while the game is running at even 1080p with some decent AA I would be fine. Although I would like to target something around the "high" settings. If I remember correctly according to DF that's the best "bang for your back" in terms of perceivable graphical fidelity.

If I wanted a card today, what would be good for something like this?

Oct 27, 2017
Someone posted UK pricing (subject to change)
unknown.png

They got their prices from here I believe. The prices have changed daily too. I've seen ASUS already raise the prices a bit.

Nvidia GPU: Immersive Technology | Overclockers UK

NVIDIA is a world leader in visual computing technologies. NVIDIA graphics cards power some of the worlds most powerful computers and gaming PC's. Buy a NVIDIA graphics card and build your dream gaming PC at Overclockers UK.