• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Is the 3090 double the performance of a 3080 or is the price just stupid?
It's basically nearing Titan Pricing, ie. you get it for the RAM and business use. It also games i guess.

Been out of the scene for awhile, planning to get a 3080. Should I be getting FE or AIB? Are there any actual differences?
FE have been known to run hotter then AIB versions as they only have one small fan and are designed to function via their vaper chamber. If you have a small case with low clearing for air intake it's an option. No one knows if this new dual fan design will perform better and go against the FE's run hot legacy.

AIB cost more but they tend to have option for better cooling with 3 fan designs and other bullet points such as overclocked by default. They don't always ship at the same time as the FE's but we're hearing that they will this time.

I personally always go with EVGA as my AIB and have been happy.

Last edited:

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it must some error, at best, dlss can give you around twice the fps, I don't get how they end up with such a difference.
Let's see. Control is a demanding game, especially with RTX on. They probably internally render at 1800p or something and then upscale to 8K using DLSS. I don't think there is any error, it's just natively rendering Control in 8K with RTX on puts even 3090 on its knees.

Speaking of 3090, do we have any approximate graphs how it compares to 3080? It's really hard to get a clear picture now.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
Nvidia are hilarious.

Their timing is hilarious, these cards are announced just before the console launch. They completely shift the bar for performance, when it had felt like the consoles were kinda catching up.

They have also managed to fuck with the publics price perception over the last few years, to the eccentric that many people are looking at the 3080 as a bargain.

Funny guys!

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I slept all day because I stayed up all night to watch a dude in his kitchen, any impressions/benchmark vids to watch?

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
After some late night considering, I may go for a 3080 over a 3090

I mainly want to play at 4K 120hz, so the cheapest card that can get me close to that or on it would be the choice

My current 2070 super doesn't compare to even the 3080 so that's that
Having a difficult time deciding
3080 is just right in that sweet spot area for me. Great performance and not breaking the bank as much. 3090 looks so tempting but it's not worth it for me for what I'm going to use it for. With two 1440p monitors and a 4K TV that I might use for gaming from time to time, 3080 seems like a no brainer.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not vibiing that with that dude.

Yes it's cherry picked but some games just as you mentioned has good gains. I do love 40+ game benchmarks but nvidia wasn't allowing that and quite frankly it doesn't mean much with early drivers.

Some people are bad with context and for someone making certain kinds of anal references he should know better with prelim data this is good. It's top3 good in my entire lifettime. He needs to stop having all nighters.

The architecture has all sorts of benefits for most people.

He's horrible at math.

increasing your fps every 15 frames is insane based on history. For anyone caring about 4k60fps having any turing means you're not getting there vs ampere where you clearly can without dlss in some instances. Gamers especially enthusiast types are really gonna make this come down to title to tittle basis but we have 160-205% gains with or without RT, anyone in to path of exile knows that's straight juicin.

cant wait for actual reviews. The cards seem to be monsters, yet people are still trying to downplay it? Even at a great price. Makes little sense to me.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Just saw this video a lot of info goes a bit over my head but am I right in assuming he is claiming that non rt performance from 2080ti to 3080 will be minimal?

The dude is clearly a conspiracy nut (5:00 mark), has no understanding on how to decipher performance numbers and is basing his whole argument on the fps counter on the top left of digital foundry's video here:

The guy is hell bent on thinking that FPS is from the 3080, even though it's most likely stock footage taken from any number of GPU's.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Yeah, it must some error, at best, dlss can give you around twice the fps, I don't get how they end up with such a difference.
The New dlss Mode has a higher internal resolution multipler - 9x instead of 4x that it was under the performance Mode.
It is 1440p to 8K basically. You can see Screenshots of it in Action on the watch dogs article NV put out.
The dude is clearly a conspiracy nut (5:00 mark) and has no understanding on how to decipher performance numbers and is basing his whole argument on the fps counter on the top left of digital foundry's video here:

The guy is hell bent on thinking that FPS is from the 3080, even though it's most likely stock footage taken from any number of GPU's.

The fps read out there is just vsyncd Stock footage - we do that with nearly all of the multi gpu comparisons that are not side by sides. Otherwise no one knows which gpu is representing the on screen performance

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
It's basically nearing Titan Pricing, ie. you get it for the RAM and business use. It also games i guess.

FE have been known to run hotter then AIB versions as they only have one small fan and are designed to function via their vaper chamber. If you have a small case with low clearing for air intake it's an option. No one knows if this new dual fan design will perform better and go against the FE's run hot legacy.

AIB cost more but they tend to have option for better cooling with 3 fan designs and other bullet points such as overclocked by default. They don't always ship at the same time as the FE's but we're hearing that they will this time.

I personally always go with EVGA as my AIB and have been happy.
All depends on what type of PSU you have.

If you have something that's 750-800 or over then you should be fine. That's just it, not really a bad thing.
No, it's a good thing. More overclocking headroom, don't have to worry about power constraints.

thank you all, I'll see how's the heat issue is in comparison when there are reviews then. Planning to do a whole new build so PSU won't be an issue

might just come down to price in this case

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
The New dlss Mode has a higher internal resolution multipler - 9x instead of 4x that it was under the performance Mode.
It is 1440p to 8K basically. You can see Screenshots of it in Action on the watch dogs article NV put out.
Ok, that explains the extreme difference. I hadn't heard about the new mode, I was under the impression that it could only go down to 4k with performance mode.

Shocchiz

Nov 7, 2017
"The new DLSS Ultra Performance mode delivers 9x AI Super Resolution (1440p internal rendering output at 8K using AI), while maintaining crisp image quality."

www.nvidia.com

The New Pinnacle: 8K HDR Gaming Is Here With The GeForce RTX 3090

Learn about the technologies that enable 8K gaming on the RTX 3090 GPU.
www.nvidia.com

Watch Dogs: Legion GeForce RTX 30 Series Trailer

The highly anticipated Watch Dogs: Legion launches October 29th.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Nvidia are hilarious.

Their timing is hilarious, these cards are announced just before the console launch. They completely shift the bar for performance, when it had felt like the consoles were kinda catching up.

They have also managed to fuck with the publics price perception over the last few years, to the eccentric that many people are looking at the 3080 as a bargain.

Funny guys!
All 3 cards launch before the new consoles as well.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Curious the CUDA core count listed in the early tweet is exactly half as what Nvidia said the cards would have.
Because most leakers thought that there were 32 ALUs (the FP32 thing) per SM, but nvidia doubled that. The other components on the SM are the same however, that's why TFLOPS in Ampere are weaker in gaming than Turing.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nvidia are hilarious.

Funny guys!

like Linus says, I think these cards are as much if not more a direct attack at the new consoles over AMD discreet GPU.

They knew everyone was starving for news, that we THOUGHT consoles were catching up. Nvidia just decided to go for the jugular. Three times the TFs of a ps5 for 699........absolutely insane.

the gap didn't shrink, it's widened further than it ever has before.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
like Linus says, I think these cards are as much if not more a direct attack at the new consoles over AMD discreet GPU.

They knew everyone was starving for news, that we THOUGHT consoles were catching up. Nvidia just decided to go for the jugular. Three times the TFs of a ps5 for 699........absolutely insane.

Sony and MS fucked up when they started talking about FLOPS.
Those 30TFLOPS on the 3080 are much weaker in gaming that the ones that Nvidia was using and AMD still uses, but the raw number is what is being parroted, and that it much larger.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019

Which is why Series X basing their whole marketing on '12 teraflops' looks very silly now. We got over 30 teraflops here. I think the next gen consoles have other perks, namely games, SSD and I/O.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the better for us who want the 3090! Lol! The less demand there is for the 3090, the better. More chance of securing a card at launch. When launch day comes, just watch as those 3080s immediately go OOS, while the 3090 doesn't.
Did you see any 3090 vs 3080 comparisons anywhere? Trying to grasp how these two compare against each other. Is 8K performance graph from Nvidia the only thing we have on 3090 for now?

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted a 3060 but 6GB is too low.
It's a bit on the low side, but I think those cards will be squarely targeting 1080p HFR and 1440p resolutions. 6GB should be acceptable (though not stellar) up to 1440p.
Honestly at the midrange and cheaper, AMD will probably have much more compelling options at competitive prices.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Did you see any 3090 vs 3080 comparisons anywhere? Trying to grasp how these two compare against each other. Is 8K performance graph from Nvidia the only thing we have on 3090 for now?
It seems like it, I haven't found anything else of ""substance"" yet for the 3090.

I'm still bamboozled by the euro pricing, basically no mark up.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
didn't digital foundry test control without raytracing at 4K and still saw an 80 percent uplift in frames (basically locked 60fps at a guess) from 34fps.

Yeah, as low as a 60% gain in some cases, and up to 90% in others. Although I might also be mixing in DLSS vs DLSS also, but even when they did the comparison without that, the gains were at least 60%.

Gotta love how they include the easy to run games just to make it look like it's a super beast at 8K...
Then you look at modern games that weren't already easy enough to run, and you have to think "OK, what's the fucking point?". Is the memory what's allowing the card to do this, and preventing the 3080 from achieving somewhat similar results? Still a moot point though since 8K anything will never be relevant to me probably for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
how exactly are they weaker?
So the 30TFLOPS are the peak of what the card can provide, all FP32 cores running all the time. That's 8704 FP32 cores * 1.71GHz * 2 (because they can do two ops per cycle), and it ends up being 29.767 TFLOPS.
But the other things around those FP32 units hasn't changed, so they will be idle for longer periods of time. They will be waiting for other parts to finish before they can compute.
In the end it seems it is still an increase, comparing the 2080ti and 3080, which have the same number of SMs, the 3080 is around 30% extra, at least going by leaks. So every TFLOP in Ampere is around 65% of the ones in Turing.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's a combination of that + trying to retain Pascal owners who haven't yet upgraded. They had an entire section specifically for Pascal owners basically saying it was safe to to upgrade now lol

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watch Dogs: Legion is the bundled game, pretty cool I wasn't planning on buying it but will defs play for free.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a combination of that + trying to retain Pascal owners who haven't yet upgraded. They had an entire section specifically for Pascal owners basically saying it was safe to to upgrade now lol
I really didn't see a reason top upgrade from my 1070. It seemed as if they wanted to get RTX out the door and be done with it.