• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sass1.png

Really makes you wonder what they could be doing in their home office with a gaming card, huh?
sass2.png
definitely a possibility lol.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
It's definitely feels out of the norm, but PC gaming also skyrocketed in popularity the past 2 gens. More and more people recognize PC will always be at the forefront of gaming technology and with COVID affecting so many launch plans for both consoles it makes sense.

It's also why Xbox expanding to PC feels like such an important strategy for them. It helps keep a lot of people in their ecosystem even if they forego an Xbox console. I'm glad Sony is starting to recognize it as well and are looking into more ports.

It's strange to think that eventually consoles could just be an optional thing with every game being available across platforms day 1. It's a long ways away, but it's going to be great if it eventually arrives.
PlayStation killing b/c after the fat PS3 pushed me to it

My older games run perfect on Steam and I don't need to wait to repurchase remakes to enjoy high resolutions and/or refresh rates.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So this is going to be an unusual launch, since it doesn't seem like there will be pre-orders available? What do veterans expect to be the best approach to buying a card come launch? Just refreshing searches on online retailers like Amazon/Newegg?

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know why the 3090 is more than twice the price of the 3080? Why so much? Not that it matters much with the specs on the 70 and 80, but still.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
No better time than now (except that these cards might sell out very quickly due to COVID-19 and low stock at launch).
I'm thinking about returning, honestly. Been out of it for some tome, my last card was a 770 so it's been a while.
Yes. It's wonderful.
Sure. After I get my 3090.

I'd have a pretty crazy budget for a new build! I have my eyes on the Odyssey G9 too. I'll wait to see UK prices and some example builds, because I'd pretty much be starting from scratch. My current card is an HD 6990, so yeah.

It's funny, literally the only thing that's been stopping me is that I'm already so invested in Xbox Series X, and that'll feel a bit like a waste if I can play all the same games with this much power on my PC.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So this is going to be an unusual launch, since it doesn't seem like there will be pre-orders available? What do veterans expect to be the best approach to buying a card come launch? Just refreshing searches on online retailers like Amazon/Newegg?

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/ If you make an account, you can configure your own set of alerts so you're buzzed only when certain SKUs are in stock at certain stores and not every time any model becomes available anywhere.

Last edited:

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about DLSS that is kinda key in deciding which card to buy, if anyone would be so kind.

I have an LG B9 which only supports G-Sync in the range of 40-60fps on 4k resolution, and 40-120fps on 1440p. My question is, if I play a game in 1440p with DLSS reconstructing the image to 4k, what is my actual resolution in regards to the triggering of the G-Sync? Would I be able to play games in the 40-120fps sync range while the image is being reconstructed to 4k?
You wouldn't need DLSS. Just set your GPU to render at 1440p if you want to use 120Hz on your TV. Or you can use supersampling in N
Nvidia Control Panel and set the render resolution to 2160p and have it output at 1440p to the TV to keep the 120Hz refresh rate.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
nah, get a ps5 and be happy. Once you get into pc gaming you will be stuck in an endless loop of upgrades. Just read through the thread, we're like addicts looking for our next hit of GPU nirvana.
That's a good point too, and I'm bad at selling off old stuff I don't use, so I'd end up with piles of GPUs around the house.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a point or does anyone upgrade annually (or even mid cycle)?

970 -> 1070 - > 2070 -> 2070S -> 3070 as an example

fast10furious

Jul 18, 2020
If the Series X is really 2080 ti performance, I wonder how it'll stack up against the 3070. Assuming it's $500, that's a match up between $500 for the entire unit vs just a GPU.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I always ask weird questions because I put myself it weird scenarios. So for those who like to tackle weird scenarios...

I have a GTX 1070 Laptop (I haven't used since turning it on last year to test Forza Horizon 4 demo, ran great!)

And I have a GTX 1080 Laptop (Alienware R4), that again I don't use that much.

The GTX 1070 Laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port (4lanes) but a i7-7700HQ processor. And it's pretty light....not as heavy as you would expect.

The GTX 1080 Laptop has a i7-7820HK same TB3 port as well, but also Alienware's own custom port to add an eGPU.

So you probably have an idea what I'm about to ask... would it be worth it to get one of these RTX 3070/80 Cards, to be used as an eGPU for one of these Laptops?

Would it be better through TB3 or Alienware's own custom port/housing? I know you lose some of the power of the GPU.

With those old processors, would it even be worth it to get a RTX card? Or should I sell the laptops.

I don't plan on building a huge fancy PC that lights up, down the road... if I were going to build a PC, it would be a mini-tower.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so EVGA XC3 is 2.2 slot so that is what is going in my H1 case, that's the only thing that sucks about SFF builds, I am limited on what I can buy lol

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Ok, explain to a PC gaming layman: why would anyone pay 1500$ for a graphics card? Watched the DF video and the 700$ one looks like it gets on just fine
If you're wanting the best performance in ray tracing that's where it's at. Even with the 3080 a lot of us want more. The 3080 is such a great value it's almost talking me out of the 3090 no lie. But the 3090 is what I want because I want max frames with RT at high resolutions. Also big vram means you can do cool stuff with texture mods and other stuff. But the real reason is RT

Oct 28, 2017

9800gt>570>780ti>980ti>1080ti>2080ti———^/3080\^.

So yeah but it was because mainly I got into SFF builds when I got my first big 1080p TV and the 780ti and then the vive...then an lg OLED 4K tv several years ago and have been chasing that and VR since then.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017

I was heavy last gen initially till pascal cause I didn't need more performance.

Someone could get any of the amperes announced and last all gem if they sacrifice settings. Dlss will be quite the boost in titles allowed.

I only upgrade when I need performance.

last gen this was me

4850 -> 7950/7970 -> 970/1060 -> 2070 (returned)

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Regular/annual upgrades like that are good if you're selling the old card to fund the new card. You maintain a lot of resale value that way. In fact that's probably the best way to go about things, honestly.

I'm lazy and kind of afraid of selling expensive stuff, especially online. I just buy cards and use them for several years until I upgrade.

HD4850 -> GTX 760 -> RX480 -> thinking about a 3060 but TBD depending on how it turns out.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Any AIB with a true 2 slot design for the 3080 so far? Seems like FE is the only option so far, which seems good, but I want to know my options.