• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
It will certainly be interesting to see what the 3xxx series does. I don't even have the money to care right now, and a 1080ti is still doing enough work with my backlog to last for 3 more years at the rate I finish games.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Dictator Dark1x

I was reading that after the last Nvidia patch, several RTX games have improved, specially Battlefield V it seems that it runs much better with Ray Tracing now after an adittional DICE patch. Are you in favor in revisit some of those initial RTX titles and see if they have indeed improved?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Dictator Dark1x

I was reading that after the last Nvidia patch, several RTX games have improved, specially Battlefield V it seems that it runs much better with Ray Tracing now after an adittional DICE patch. Are you in favor in revisit some of those initial RTX titles and see if they have indeed improved?
Perhaps - but we do not necessarily always have the exact same data from the game from months or a year ago at this point.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Devices to go with the 2070 super. There is only a 6fps difference between this and the 2080 super in control at max settings dlss 1440p.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
nabbed a 2080 super by gigabyte on amazon. no promotion but im talking to amazon about it. it should qualify as its first party.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Very tempted to nab a 2070 Super now in all honesty.

Just deciding between it and a 5700 XT, i'm wondering if I care enough about raytracing to pay another £60. It's just the fact that it tanks performance too much for me to enjoy it. You can't have your cake and eat it too with raytracing atm, at least at 1440p.

Jun 7, 2018
Germany
After over a month of waiting, my ordered ASUS ROG Strix 2070 Super OC is still far far away. Caseking updated the product page... expected delivery date: "unknown". What the fuck, ASUS? I could also buy the A8G version but I want O8G.

Anyone with similar problems here?

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017

Before anyone asks, he is reliable.

4608 CUDA cores is the full Turing TU102 chip that the Titan RTX also have.

And faster memory from 14 Gbps to 16 Gbps.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
I just got a 2070 Super today and I'm pretty impressed with it overall. Playing Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order at 4K and Epic settings and getting 40-50fps which is good enough for me.

I'm coming from a Radeon VII which I'd been sorta using as a stop-gap via an eGPU but the heat and fan noise alone was enough to want to get off it even though on paper they're very evenly matched cards

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis

Before anyone asks, he is reliable.

4608 CUDA cores is the full Turing TU102 chip that the Titan RTX also have.

And faster memory from 14 Gbps to 16 Gbps.

With all the rumors about Ampere timing around computex next year, and this likely isn't out extremely soon, doesn't the timing feel weird? Based on the same rumors, Ampere is supposed to be better across the board and cheaper than 20XX series (we'll see on that one....) so where does that leave what would presumably be a $1500 GPU this time next year?

guess time will tell.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
With all the rumors about Ampere timing around computex next year, and this likely isn't out extremely soon, doesn't the timing feel weird? Based on the same rumors, Ampere is supposed to be better across the board and cheaper than 20XX series (we'll see on that one....) so where does that leave what would presumably be a $1500 GPU this time next year?

guess time will tell.
The RTX 2080Ti Super could launch at CES 2020 (January). The preview of rDNA 2 GPUs from AMD is also expected/rumored at CES 2020.

Ampere GPUs could launch at Computex 2020 (June).

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

guess time will tell.
gotta catch all the suckers before next-gen makes them price things better,

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

guess time will tell.
Half a year for selling a +5% update to a $1000+ GPU is more than enough to get all five of the sales.

They are bored out of their minds right now, and this is an update which will likely be even less impressive than 2080S - unless they'll cut the price of 2080TiS by some $300 or so.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Big navi rumors around that it will be shown at CES. This could just be nvidia trying to have its own announcement.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
The RTX 2080Ti Super could launch at CES 2020 (January). The preview of rDNA 2 GPUs from AMD is also expected/rumored at CES 2020.

Ampere GPUs could launch at Computex 2020 (June).
gotta catch all the suckers before next-gen makes them price things better,
Half a year for selling a +5% update to a $1000+ GPU is more than enough to get all five of the sales.

They are bored out of their minds right now, and this is an update which will likely be even less impressive than 2080S - unless they'll cut the price of 2080TiS by some $300 or so.

agreed agreed agreed.

I want so very badly for AMD to keep doing well and slowly make headway into top tier GPUs. Agree 100% on the NV being bored comment. They need someone to come eat some of their lunch in top tier so they get hungry again (I realize we've been saying that for years but it feels like AMD has really turned the corner in the last couple)

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
AMD overtaking nvidia in marketshare would be the best thing to happen to the gpu industry in many years. one can dream

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
agreed agreed agreed.

I want so very badly for AMD to keep doing well and slowly make headway into top tier GPUs. Agree 100% on the NV being bored comment. They need someone to come eat some of their lunch in top tier so they get hungry again (I realize we've been saying that for years but it feels like AMD has really turned the corner in the last couple)

They have been so far out front of AMD.. they rolled out ray tracing.. were up against a manufacturing process wall. You realize they don't fab their own parts, right? But ok, sure need AMD to motivate them.

People are going to push this flawed narrative when Nvidia moves to 7nm. The performance increase will be thanks to AMD "making them sweat".

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has taken AMD to jump to a new node to be competitive and even then, they can only get a leg up in price. They have a ways to go before they can make Nvidia really sweat like they have Intel

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
This guy thinks Nvidia might be fucked next gen

This guy is an idiot. This comment from the video says it all:

Sergio0694

It seems to me that this video is grossly misrepresenting what RTX is. You talk about RTX and DXR like they're two completely different things, when in fact they're closely related. All these games using RTX are really just using DXR APIs in DX12 - RTX is just the actual name for the driver/hardware implementation of those DXR APIs on RTX GPUs. You can run those same exact games with RTX effects even with GTX GPUs, because those same DXR APIs are mapped to a software fallback layer by the GPU driver. Actually, even saying "RTX effects" does not make any sense - there isn't such a thing as an "RTX effect", those are all just DXR APIs, RTX is just how they're implemented on RTX GPUs. When AMD (or whoever) will come up with hardware support for DXR, those same titles will be able to run on those GPUs too. The whole "RTX is just bad" just doesn't make any sense at all. Same for "RTX compared with AMD cards using more general DXR features" - they're THE SAME THING! They're all just DXR effects either from DirectX 12 or Vulkan, and again, RTX is just how they're implemented and accelerated on a hardware level on RTX GPUs. This is just a factually incorrect statement. Same for the part about nVidia needing to "find a way to abstract access to RTX cores, otherwise they'll go unused when running games with more general DXR effects" - that is ALREADY THE WAY THOSE WORK! Again, all games RIGHT NOW are using the SAME DXR APIs, which is precisely an abstraction of ray tracing algorithms, which on RTX GPUs happen to be hardware accelerated by the RTX cores. That's why those same effects run slower on other hardware, but they can still run if there's driver support for those APIs. The entire video just shows a complete lack of knowledge on this topics even on a more general level. It's not RTX, it's DXR, and it's not bad, it's just heavy as hell to run, and that's because running ray-tracing IS hard. It's a miracle it even runs somewhat decently with a first generation of GPUs to support it. I have to say I wasn't expecting this at all from this channel, which is otherwise usually a great source of information. Please do more research in future videos, or at least add some video notes to correct those statements!

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
AMD overtaking nvidia in marketshare would be the best thing to happen to the gpu industry in many years. one can dream
Going back to GCN feature set for the majority of the market would be the worst thing to happen to GPU industry since it has started. Also not sure what would be so great about AMD selling more GPUs than NV - but I don't care either way really.

This guy thinks Nvidia might be fucked next gen
LOL. I still remember how NV was "100% fucked" back when AMD got both PS4 and XBO.

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
They have been so far out front of AMD.. they rolled out ray tracing.. were up against a manufacturing process wall. You realize they don't fab their own parts, right? But ok, sure need AMD to motivate them.

People are going to push this flawed narrative when Nvidia moves to 7nm. The performance increase will be thanks to AMD "making them sweat".

sure, maybe "make them hungry again" is shitty phrasing but I don't think basic economics are debatable and if AMD was competitive in that segment, prices go down and quality goes up, with it only being upside for consumers.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
sure, maybe "make them hungry again" is shitty phrasing but I don't think basic economics are debatable and if AMD was competitive in that segment, prices go down and quality goes up, with it only being upside for consumers.

In general I think this is true (prices no doubt at all).

Personally I'm amazed that Nvidia has pushed the high end as much as they have on the recent process nodes.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
To be honest I'm pretty impressed with the RTX performance in Exodus in my 2070 Super considering what it's actually doing.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
So I RMA'd my 2060 Super FE and am waiting for the replacement. I've never had a GPU act so strange and I am wondering if my 450B Tomahawk motherboard could've been responsible.

The card started revving its fans up to full blast totally randomly. Most frequently on startup or on waking up from sleep but also during normal idling, or web browsing. Occasionally during gaming but not so often. Both fans would go to top speed and it would sound like a leafblower. This could last anywhere from 30 seconds to 20 minutes or more.

I tried every fix you can name. I removed and reinstalled the drivers several times. I tried different drivers. I took the card out and installed it again. I changed my monitor to 120 fps. I changed the power settings. Nothing helped. The fans would rev randomly. Sometimes short, sometimes long. There was no pattern.

The strangest thing about this is that when the fans were at full blast the hardware monitor would report that only 1 fan was spinning at 1500k. This was not true, I confirmed it visually multiple times. The fans would also not respond to manual fan curves.

Could the mobo bios have had an effect on this? It's running a 2018 version from before the 3 series Ryzens came out. CPU is a 5 2600x.

(might repost on the PC thread, as this one might be dead.)

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
How good is the 2060 super? I just bought one for my rig and I feel like I'm playing most games on 4k ultra (Jedi Fallen Order/ COD MW/ RDR 2 somewhat)

How future proof is my card? What are my chances of playing cyberpunk at 4k 60fps?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
How good is the 2060 super? I just bought one for my rig and I feel like I'm playing most games on 4k ultra (Jedi Fallen Order/ COD MW/ RDR 2 somewhat)

How future proof is my card? What are my chances of playing cyberpunk at 4k 60fps?

I can't tell if this is real. Do you have settings turned down to nothing? This is a question that I'd ask about my 2080 Ti.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
d8aUw1i.png

12Fqpva.png

b27sceq.png

I seem to be running at 60 maybe with a few drops at 4k rez, but I'm not exactly sure how to get the frame rate counter up and running

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
sorry mate, but you aren't running 60 fps at 4k with those settings on a 2060S. I cant even run stable 60 fps with settings like that at 1440p with a 2080.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
sorry mate, but you aren't running 60 fps at 4k with those settings on a 2060S. I cant even run stable 60 fps with settings like that at 1440p with a 2080.

Honestly havent noticed a difference in frames dropping or it feeling slow, but I am a mainly console player so maybe this might be placebo that im playing it at 60 lmao ... Let me drop down the settings and see if there's a difference in the feel of the game.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly havent noticed a difference in frames dropping or it feeling slow, but I am a mainly console player so maybe this might be placebo that im playing it at 60 lmao ... Let me drop down the settings and see if there's a difference in the feel of the game.

You are only guessing it, which makes sense. I have made a point in another thread that RDR 2 feels very smooth even at lower (35-40) framerates.