• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I received and installed my FE 2060S and after trying Metro last night with ray tracing on all I can say is wow wow wow. I was skeptical but now I am a believer. It looks so f-ing good and it stays above 60 fps on high. There is a huge difference when turned off. In my opinion it is worth the price. Very happy I upgraded. Can't wait to see how the technology is implemented in future games like Control, Watch Dogs, etc. I came here to say this because I read so many negative comments about ray tracing while considering which card to upgrade to.

Who were those negative comments coming from? I'd wager most were from people who don't actually have a 20xx series card, or don't have realistic expectations of the power required for real time ray tracing.

I'm on a 2080Ti, and I've enjoyed it. From Shadow of Tomb Raider, Battlefield V, and Metro Exodus, they all look good. I need to use DLSS with Shadow of TR and Metro in combination with ray tracing for 60fps+ as I do play at 4k, but even then, the games look good, and you're getting real time damn ray tracing. It's pretty nice even for a first gen implementation.

MHW supports DLSS? I had no idea.
I'm still a bit confused if DLSS is only useful at 4k or if it has some value at 1080p.

From what I understand, it's only enabled at 1440P and higher.

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
a bit off topic but i got a 2060s and Witcher 3 on max settings stutters a bit not sure if is just the game not liking ryzen
running a 2600x and 16gb of ram playing at 1080p/60

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra arrived yesterday.

I'm in a holding pattern b/c I think I'm going to go with a higher end card so will probably scope out Step-Up options before I open it.

I agree with this assessment. I think a lot of the people that dog on ray tracing have never used it. Yes there's a performance hit but it looks fantastic.

One of the reasons I'm swapping out a 1080 Ti for either this 2070S or something faster is to tinker with ray tracing and DLSS (the latter particularly for Monster Hunter World).
As someone that switched from a 1080ti to a 2080ti last week. DLSS is not impressive to me at all atm. It needs more refinement for clarity.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Looks like it's still not worth the price to upgrade from a GTX 1080, at least playing on a 2560x1440, 144hz monitor.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Leaked benchmarks of the 2080S are very disappointing. Just a tad faster than the 2080. In some benchmarks just a mere 6% faster. Very far away from the 2080Ti. Nothing Super about it. I expected the 2080S to be somewhere in the middle between the 2080 and the 2080Ti. But it looks like it's sitting very close to the 2080. Meh.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Leaked benchmarks of the 2080S are very disappointing. Just a tad faster than the 2080. In some benchmarks just a mere 6% faster. Very far away from the 2080Ti. Nothing Super about it. I expected the 2080S to be somewhere in the middle between the 2080 and the 2080Ti. But it looks like it's sitting very close to the 2080. Meh.
Link?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Ew. If that's the case I may just go for the 2070S and save those 200 bucks towards a Switch Lite. Idk.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

You can do the math on the extra cores (4 %) and memory bandwidth (10%) and see that it's not going to look like the previous Super cards that have launched. Haven't seen anything that predicted a significant boost.

I wouldn't mind snagging an outgoing 2080 if I can find the right deal.

Last edited:

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up picking up an MSI Armor 2070 over Prime Day, thanks to some deals and Amazon credit I got it for $410 shipped. Was also able to pick up a decent BenQ 27" 1440p LCD at the same time, so I should be in decent shape. Just really didn't want to hang around anymore waiting for a 2070S.

If real stock shows up in the next week or two, I may return the 2070 and get a 2070S after all.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
MHW supports DLSS? I had no idea.
I'm still a bit confused if DLSS is only useful at 4k or if it has some value at 1080p.

DLSS is applied to games with built-in TAA solutions as a combination AA/upscaling solution. Thus far, I've only seen it convert 1080p to 1440p, and 1440p to 2160p. You'd think the first example would look good, but I've found that 1080p is simply not detail-rich enough for DLSS's upscaling system. 1440p-->2160p, otoh, is pretty impressive in action. Digital Foundry did a nice video a while back showing that it's about on par with raw 1800p resolution in terms of detail, while also outperforming 1800p in terms of frame rate.

In short, if you're thinking about rocking a 4K display with a 2060S/2070S, and a game you like has DLSS enabled, then you can get close to 4K results without paying up for the 2080/2080S.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure what people expected with the super. We are clearly at a stop gap where AMD has caught up to 1440p performance and Nvidia is riding their wave like they always do, there was never going to be this bombastic mega increase in performance. It is especially the case with the current RTX series raytracing offerings being rather new in terms of availability to devs and such. Next year is where things will start picking up and we'll be seeing some big increases with Nvidia finally going 7nm.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Metro, but I'll give it another shot when my RMA card returns
Looked awful in Metro... so blurry. Went back to having it off and the game was so much sharper.

Interesting. I didn't think it was really blurry at all. Shadow of the TR though, was super blurry to me. I'm playing at 4k res, dunno if that makes a huge difference with the DLSS image or not.

They couldn't really make it close in performance to the 2080Ti, they'd cannibalize sales.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
DLSS is applied to games with built-in TAA solutions as a combination AA/upscaling solution. Thus far, I've only seen it convert 1080p to 1440p, and 1440p to 2160p. You'd think the first example would look good, but I've found that 1080p is simply not detail-rich enough for DLSS's upscaling system. 1440p-->2160p, otoh, is pretty impressive in action. Digital Foundry did a nice video a while back showing that it's about on par with raw 1800p resolution in terms of detail, while also outperforming 1800p in terms of frame rate.

In short, if you're thinking about rocking a 4K display with a 2060S/2070S, and a game you like has DLSS enabled, then you can get close to 4K results without paying up for the 2080/2080S.
Very cool. Thanks. I'll stick to 1080p until later this year when I hope some 1440p deals will materialize.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

Well yes, DLSS is just a glorified upscaling technique. Just shows how powerful Nvidia's marketing department is really that they tricked so many people and tech journos.
DLSS is AA+upscaling. And it's AA portion is in fact pretty good, it's better than TAA option in all games I've tried it in. As for upscaling it's a performance optimization so it's expected to look worse than native.

Its often worse than bog standard upscaling when you match performance
This isn't true at all. "Sometimes" maybe.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

DLSS is AA+upscaling. And it's AA portion is in fact pretty good, it's better than TAA option in all games I've tried it in. As for upscaling it's a performance optimization so it's expected to look worse than native.

This isn't true at all. "Sometimes" maybe.

worse in:
battlefield
metro
tomb raider

better in:
final fantasy

not sure:
anthem
monster hunter

am i missing any games? i think i covered them all but not 100%

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
worse in:
battlefield
metro
tomb raider
Both Metro and TR are way better with DLSS than resolution scale at the same performance level.
And BFV's DLSS implementation is the worst I've seen so far I think. It's also the one game where TAA isn't total shit when compared to DLSS.
So yeah, "sometimes", not "often".

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Both Metro and TR are way better with DLSS than resolution scale at the same performance level.
And BFV's DLSS implementation is the worst I've seen so far I think. It's also the one game where TAA isn't total shit when compared to DLSS.
So yeah, "sometimes", not "often".

WRT metro, absolutely not

they say it trades blows but DLSS looks clearly worse to me. all kinds of odd artifacts, texture swimming, flickering etc. it also makes vegetation look consistently weird

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
WRT metro, absolutely not
Absolutely yes. I've played Metro comparing both, did you?
H/w Unboxed analysis of DLSS is pure crap for the most part. They don't take into account anything regarding AA, they compare a very limited number of scenes, they don't look at it in motion and their general preference of a blurry image over a sharper but more stylized one isn't something which I agree with.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
H/w Unboxed analysis of DLSS is pure crap for the most part. They don't take into account anything regarding AA, they compare a very limited number of scenes, they don't look at it in motion and their general preference of a blurry image over a sharper but more stylized one isn't something which I agree with.

i dont have turing so no. they do take into account aa. they specifically mention how much more aliasing there is with DLSS when compared to upscaling, and show many examples of it in motion throughout the entire video. in general DLSS in this title is very noisy and unstable going by all their footage

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
i dont have turing so no. they do take into account aa. they specifically mention how much more aliasing there is with DLSS when compared to upscaling, and show many examples of it in motion throughout the entire video. in general DLSS in this title is very noisy and unstable going by all their footage
At 1080p DLSS makes Metro look worse and Digital Foundry was very skeptical about it's value in the game at higher resolutions in their video on the PC version.

Oct 28, 2017
Benched my 2070 Super and impressive results so far. I only play at 1080p but being able to crank everything right the fuck up with a solid 144fps is too good to pass up.

Also ran Destiny 2 AFK forge grinding overnight, 7 hours and it was still going when I got up. Bodes well for the card having no issues in future. Time to sell my 1070.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my personal experience, DLSS in Metro was just too damn blurry compared to native. I'd rather play with it off.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
So manufacturers 2080S cards are starting to appear to pre-order.

EVGA is crazy, the cheapest model is 879€ (900$, give or take) and then they have others up till 959€ (980$). For reference, there was 2080Ti models available on Prime Days for 999€.

Zotac seems reasonable, standard model is 749€, in line with the price of the FE you can order from Nvidia.com, then they have 2 more OC models, one 779 and the second 819. I imagine this second model has very heavy OC since it has a 3-fan design instead of two. Both this one and the 779€ one require 8+8 pins instead of 6+8.

Maybe it will be difficult to measure the performance given it seems there will be many models. I expect quite a bit of gain over the reference design with those extreme ones.

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
Got lucky a couple days ago and spotted a single Asus 2070 Super OC in stock at Microcenter. Such a huge upgrade from my 970. Haven't been able to truly benchmark it yet but playing Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight in 4k looks amazing and feels smooth so far.

Following up on this, because I always found it useful when looking to upgrade to see results from folks with similar builds:

I've got a stock 2600x 6 core at 3.6ghz, 16gb RAM, and the ASUS 2070S OC Dual Fan model now.

Witcher 3 at 4k with Max settings including Hairworks turned all the way up was sitting at 40-45fps while walking around Novigrad in a rainstorm. Felt very smooth. Setting Hairworks to only Geralt got me another 10fps.

Arkham Knight is locked at 60 (probably going higher, but I capped it there while on my TV) at 4k Max settings, including Nvidia effects.

Also tested Sekiro at 4k max and it's mostly locked at 60fps with a few momentary drops to about 55 here and there.

VERY impressed with this card coming from my 970.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
There is no more aliasing with DLSS, that's the thing, it's just sharper than straight upscaling which leads to more noise overall. But this is where I disagree with them completely - this sharper image with DLSS is way better visually than the blurry upscaling even though it does lead to more noise.

At 1080p DLSS makes Metro look worse and Digital Foundry was very skeptical about it's value in the game at higher resolutions in their video on the PC version.
There's basically no reason to use DLSS in 1080p.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I swapped an EVGA 2070 Super XC Ultra in for a 1080 Ti FE so I can tinker with RTX features. I'm at 3440x1440 and couldn't justify a 2080 Ti for this box. Note that I wasn't looking for an upgrade here, just a sidegrade with extra features.

I'm sure part of my experience is moving from a reference blower on the old card to a pretty decent (but 2 fan) cooler on the new one. I ran a bunch of benchmarks that I might detail later, but in summary I'm generally even at worst or ahead 10% or so with the new card. The only outlier was Assassin's Creed Odyssey bench where I lost a negligible amount of performance. I didn't note the clocks for the old card but the new one is pretty much locked in boosting to 1950 with no overclocking at this point.

One interesting observation is that the 2070 Super tends to have lower maximum FPS but higher minimum FPS than the 1080 Ti in my tests.

Regarding thermals, I do have some work to do on case fan performance.. dumping the extra heat into the case pushed my case and CPU (9900K on air) temps up a bit so I need to get some fan control going. The cooling is there but it's not being utilized well for the new reality.

I'll sell the 1080 Ti and game bundle.. should come out even enough for a fresh warranty, new features, lower power consumption, lower noise.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
+7%, seems about right. Will be interesting to look at 4K benchmarks though as faster VRAM might help there.

I do wonder what "RTX 2080" (or 2070, or 2080 Ti) mean on these graphs though as "RTX 2080" and "RTX 2080 FE" are a bit different.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
The most interesting thing there is how the Titan RTX just stomps the 2080 Ti.

+7%, seems about right. Will be interesting to look at 4K benchmarks though as faster VRAM might help there.

I do wonder what "RTX 2080" (or 2070, or 2080 Ti) mean on these graphs though as "RTX 2080" and "RTX 2080 FE" are a bit different.

I wondered the same, especially after benchmarking my 2080 Ti FE against a 2070 Super with better cooler.

Also we're going to get a bunch of lazy articles from shitty "tech" websites acting surprised that the 2080 Super doesn't provide as much benefit as other Super cards.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
There is no more aliasing with DLSS, that's the thing, it's just sharper than straight upscaling which leads to more noise overall. But this is where I disagree with them completely - this sharper image with DLSS is way better visually than the blurry upscaling even though it does lead to more noise.

There's basically no reason to use DLSS in 1080p.

The fact that this hardware accelerated solution even has to be debated like this says it all. And this is compared to the absolute bottom end of upscaling we have on pc. Compare it to algorithms that have actually been engineered like insomniacs technique used in ps4pro versions of their games and DLSS would really look like shit

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I might replace my broken 2080 with a 2080 s if they prove not have major hardware issues this time.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm hoping to get some advice about a build I'm planning on putting together in the next year or so.

The one thing that really attracts me to PC gaming is ultra wide monitors. I've watched a bunch of YouTube footage of gaming in 21:9 and got to see an acquaintances setup once and I think it's amazing.

What exactly do I realistically need to game in 1440p 21:9? I could potentially buy everything around the end of this year, or alternately I could start snagging bits and pieces here and there with a goal of putting it all together at the end of the year. It seems like the 2060 Super is a really good value, it seems to me that around $400 is kind of the sweet spot for GPUs, after that you hit severely diminishing returns and I figured it would probably make more sense to buy a $400 GPU now and then replace it in a few years rather than buy a high-end $800+ card now.

My only concern is whether the 2060 Super would be adequate for games like the eventual Red Dead port, Control, and Cyberpunk, or if it will more than likely struggle with those games enough that I should just hold off until the next round of cards is released.

The other thing I'm looking for advice for is what ultrawide I should be looking at. It seems like monitor technology moves very slowly and that new tech is extremely expensive, but is there any chance I'll be badly burned if I buy one now? If an OLED or micro-LED model shipped in the next couple years that would sting quite a bit (I have a serviceable PC setup right now, just buying a gaming PC for fun and I'm not concerned with having it any time super soon). Are there any models that are known to be great? I have an OLED TV so picture quality is really important to me and I hate the backlight glow that most IPS displays have, but it seems like most VA panels are 60hz and I'd really like to have 100hz+.

Thanks!! I've been looking around at various sites and forums but not really knowing anything about PCs makes everything pretty overwhelming.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping to get some advice about a build I'm planning on putting together in the next year or so.

The one thing that really attracts me to PC gaming is ultra wide monitors. I've watched a bunch of YouTube footage of gaming in 21:9 and got to see an acquaintances setup once and I think it's amazing.

What exactly do I realistically need to game in 1440p 21:9? I could potentially buy everything around the end of this year, or alternately I could start snagging bits and pieces here and there with a goal of putting it all together at the end of the year. It seems like the 2060 Super is a really good value, it seems to me that around $400 is kind of the sweet spot for GPUs, after that you hit severely diminishing returns and I figured it would probably make more sense to buy a $400 GPU now and then replace it in a few years rather than buy a high-end $800+ card now.

My only concern is whether the 2060 Super would be adequate for games like the eventual Red Dead port, Control, and Cyberpunk, or if it will more than likely struggle with those games enough that I should just hold off until the next round of cards is released.

The other thing I'm looking for advice for is what ultrawide I should be looking at. It seems like monitor technology moves very slowly and that new tech is extremely expensive, but is there any chance I'll be badly burned if I buy one now? If an OLED or micro-LED model shipped in the next couple years that would sting quite a bit (I have a serviceable PC setup right now, just buying a gaming PC for fun and I'm not concerned with having it any time super soon). Are there any models that are known to be great? I have an OLED TV so picture quality is really important to me and I hate the backlight glow that most IPS displays have, but it seems like most VA panels are 60hz and I'd really like to have 100hz+.

Thanks!! I've been looking around at various sites and forums but not really knowing anything about PCs makes everything pretty overwhelming.

If you're trying to avoid going crazy then I think there's a ton of value in the 2070S for this type of setup.. You might be able to get by with a 2060S but I'd go look at reviews to see what sort of framerates and frametimes they are getting. Remember that ultrawide is roughly 25% more work than 1440p.

Obviously when worrying about stuff that's far out.. tough call. There are some games on the horizon that may wind up stressing things but we won't know for sure.

Regarding displays.. the biggest thing that might improve in the near term is HDR. I wouldn't really want an OLED for daily desktop use and micro-LED isn't happening anytime soon to my knowledge, especially in ultrawide format (for both). I'd definitely want G-Sync though as I think it will do wonders to smooth things out.

Note that if you're targetting 100Hz then I'd go all-in on the GPU and consider 2080 Ti. I definitely felt the hurt a bit when I dropped from 2080 Ti to 1080 Ti/2070S level with my 3440x1440. It's not an absolute requirement but it certainly brute forces some games that aren't optimized well. You probably already consider this but frametimes and minimum framerates are really your enemy here.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
If you're trying to avoid going crazy then I think there's a ton of value in the 2070S for this type of setup.. You might be able to get by with a 2060S but I'd go look at reviews to see what sort of framerates and frametimes they are getting. Remember that ultrawide is roughly 25% more work than 1440p.

Obviously when worrying about stuff that's far out.. tough call. There are some games on the horizon that may wind up stressing things but we won't know for sure.

Regarding displays.. the biggest thing that might improve in the near term is HDR. I wouldn't really want an OLED for daily desktop use and micro-LED isn't happening anytime soon to my knowledge, especially in ultrawide format (for both). I'd definitely want G-Sync though as I think it will do wonders to smooth things out.

Note that if you're targetting 100Hz then I'd go all-in on the GPU and consider 2080 Ti. I definitely felt the hurt a bit when I dropped from 2080 Ti to 1080 Ti/2070S level with my 3440x1440. It's not an absolute requirement but it certainly brute forces some games that aren't optimized well. You probably already consider this but frametimes and minimum framerates are really your enemy here.

I was thinking the 100hz+ display would be more to "future-proof" the build, not necessarily to enjoy immediately. I've gained on consoles my entire life so even 60fps is going to feel awesome for many games. I just want a fast refresh rate so that looking ahead to the next five or so years I won't regret having a low refresh rate after I eventually upgrade my GPU.

I definitely want a monitor with adaptive frame rate. It seems like Freesync is the safer bet, but I'm a little confused on this. It looks like the new Nvidia cards actually work with Freesync, so buying a Freesync monitor doesn't lock you into a GPU manufacturer for the life of the monitor. But I've read a bunch of conflicting information about which is better and how well Nvidia cards actually work with Freesync monitors.