• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Due to rising demand for PCs and PC components as well as disrupted supply chains, many high-tech products are hard to get these days. Gamers and PC enthusiasts are among the most vocal audiences, which is why Nvidia's GeForce RTX 30-series graphics cards are notorious for their short supply. This was highlighted by Nvidia in a recent webcast.

Nvidia does not deny that it cannot supply enough of its latest add-in-boards (AIB) because of overwhelming demand and because it cannot get enough wafers with chips from its partner Samsung Foundry. The company admits that there are constraints beyond chip supply, so the issue with shortages is indeed very complicated.

"We do have supply constraints and our supply constraints do expand past what we are seeing in terms of wafers and silicon, but yes some constrains are in substrates and components," said Colette Kress, CFO of Nvidia, at Credit Suisse 24th Annual Technology Conference. "We continue to work during the quarter on our supply and we believe though that demand will probably exceed supply in Q4 for overall gaming."

The chief financial officer of Nvidia did not disclose which other components are in short supply and the nature of constraints beyond chips. PC makers have already complained about complicated logistics and even warned that they will have to compete for air cargo space with pharma companies in the coming months.

www.tomshardware.com

Nvidia on GeForce RTX 30 Shortages: We Don't Get Enough Chips

Nvidia admits GPU supply constraints, but remains optimistic.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Sorry, I ate all the chips yesterday.

chips__hero.jpg

But yeah this sucks, gonna be ages before it gets sorted too by the looks of things. Maybe I can get a 3060 Ti in Summer 2021.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What happened to this was a demand problem not a supply problem Nvidia?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I've moved on with my XSX and PS5. I'll catch them when they are in stock and readily available. If not, I'll stick to console gaming and my 2080Ti.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Damn maybe don't sell a product you don't actually have to sell then

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is because it is the first launch I cared about in the age of the internet, but biggest shit show I have seen. Either I have never seen the cards in stock or it's scalpers asking for massive markups. You have to have been either very lucky, very committed, or both to have got anything at this point.

I have almost made piece with the fact that all signs seem to point to it being deep into next year before I can get one.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
But they did. About 175 million worth of gpus.
Proof of it happening now? Bitcoin mining in GPUs havent been that much of a thing for years now, and AMD GPUs are the ones that tend to perform better for it....

You know, that's a very good question. Nvidia?
Its both, the demand is very high and they cannot rise the supply fast enough.

Not sure if this is because it is the first launch I cared about in the age of the internet, but biggest shit show I have seen. Either I have never seen the cards in stock or it's scalpers asking for massive markups. You have to have been either very lucky, very committed, or both to have got anything at this point.

I have almost made piece with the fact that all signs seem to point to it being deep into next year before I can get one.
You missed AMD launch, which after making fun of Nvidia fucking up their launch, made a worse one in all aspects!

Canti

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing cards go in and out of stock before I can even get them in the cart has been mildly depressing. Considering the shortages of AMD's cards I doubt being on TSMC would have helped them very much in the supply department, but it can't have been worse than this.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
You missed AMD launch, which after making fun of Nvidia fucking up their launch, made a worse one in all aspects!

Well that sucks for those hoping AMD would come in and save them. I am all in on team green until AMD shows they have a strong answer to ray tracing and DLSS, so you are correct in that after the reviews started to trickle out I stopped paying any attention.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why you can't use Google yourself, but...

https://news.bitcoin.com/nvidia-pos...s-of-gpus-to-crypto-miners-reach-175-million/

If that source isn't good enough for you there is plenty more.
So basically a note calculation from an analyst. It seems it is more related to miners buying it outside the grid rather than selling directly to the miners knowingly. Kay.

Crypto mining pushes GPU sales but gamers hate it.
It fucking sucks. It doesnt help that consumer electronic demands in the age of confinement are through the roof and makes everything harder to make too!

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Geez what a surprise, after all only Apple, AMD, Intel, Sony, Microsoft and Nvidia launched entirely new lines, with bargain prices and all around all being great purchases, weeks before the holiday season and one of the most hyped game releases in history. One with a ferocious pandemic keeping people inside in front of TV and buying laptops and PCs for work.

Who could've known!?

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Not sure why you can't use Google yourself, but...

https://news.bitcoin.com/nvidia-pos...s-of-gpus-to-crypto-miners-reach-175-million/

If that source isn't good enough for you there is plenty more.

Nvidia literally can't control who buys them - it's out of their hands. It's not like they're taking their entire stock of cards (and all the cards made by third parties, which make up the bulk of those cards) and scalping them to the crypto community.

Blame bots for sucking up the limited supply of cards. The crypto miners are probably the ones running the bots anyway.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
As much ass as this sucks, I'm glad Samsung is at least viable. TSMC being the de-facto chip manufactureres makes it that much easier for them to bend people over and charge higher prices, which then gets passed along to consumers. It's not perfect, but competition is needed in this space.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Q4? Does she mean Q4 of next year?

Nvidia GPU generations only last like 2 years. If you can't go out and buy an Ampere GPU until this time next year, they will have been hard to find for more than half their lifespan as current-gen products.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I overpaid a little for my 3080 (not scalpers, just an official retailer selling it for a bit more than they usually go here in Brazil) but man am I glad I did that. My 980 was really showing its age and the peace of mind from not having to worry about stock anymore was definitely worth the extra price. I get that most tech companies are struggling to meet demand this year, but this was such a disastrous launch.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a lot of people running thos ray traced spreadsheets /s for real though demand for pc parts is nuts b/c of the pandemic. I was only able to get one becouse I went the prebuilt route.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, I've more or less given up on doing any kind of PC upgrade for a while. I don't have it in me to fight with bots while trying to deal with the shitty e-commerce backbone that most of these websites have. I've wasted way too much time this year on that effort.

I've got a PS5. It has excellent games. And that's all I need for now. Hopefully someday it won't be a total shit show to buy new parts (Maybe late next year? But maybe more likely 2022?) and I'll give this another go.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering Gamers Nexus has stated AIB sources told them that GPU sales have been at Black Friday levels since March, I'm kinda unsurprised Nvidia is behind in meeting the (much higher) demand.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
There were some rumours floating around that the yield was <10% for GA102, at least they're finally pointing to samsung as an issue over high demand.

Q4? Does she mean Q4 of next year?

Nvidia GPU generations only last like 2 years. If you can't go out and buy an Ampere GPU until this time next year, they will have been hard to find for more than half their lifespan as current-gen products.

She's probably talking Q4 of the financial year

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
The spring upgrades will be available for everyone in fall 2021 at this rate 😑
Ah, meant that I'm not expecting a 3080 until Spring. I'm sure the 3080Ti's and whatever else will be out by then, but will probably be far too rich for my blood (and super out of stock for many more months afterwards). I'm just hoping for a 3080 and something in the Ryzen 5xxx line in a few months.