• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did Nvidia just killed Google Stadia ?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 454 48.2%
  • Google Stadia will need a deep rework

Votes: 407 43.2%
  • Google Stadia is fine

Votes: 81 8.6%

• Total voters

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Is there a complete whitelist available of all the compatible GeForce Now games floating about?
I've been trying to find one too. There's some links on the official site that say like "Click here to see the games!" but then just takes you to a search box... -_-
I found it on the wayback machine, but it's underwhelming af...

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
I don't have a PC. I would buy this if it worked on samsung TVs. Or a chromecast.....but that aint happening.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
so i set it up on my pc... grab my chromebook

mn11DBU.png

I haven't tried myself... but have you tried downloading it through the Android Playstore? (Does your Chromebook support that?)

Also maybe you can search for the apk. If your Chromebook supports Android apps.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I was able to download my cloud save for Doom. No problem. It all interfaces with Steam.
Okay that's pretty damn good, thanks.

I believe it was said you an restart a session straight afterwards which isn't as bad.

I mean 6 hours is a long time but I wonder how it handles things when time's up...if it just drops with no warning that could be bad.

There's a way to do this without a subscription using your PC as a host isn't there? Moonlight was it? Or was that restricted to local network...

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I have a decent amount of games on Steam and EGS because of Humble Bundle and the free games on EGS. But I don't actually have a good gaming PC. In fact, my primary PC that I use every day doesn't even have a dedicated GPU.

My question is, are the games streaming from my PC to my mobile device (like Remote Play), or do they stream from gaming PC servers hosted by Nvidia (like Stadia or Playstation Now)? Because if it's the latter, then that's huge. People wouldn't have to wait for Nvidia to have their own sales or double dip on games; they would just have to supply their own games. But, on the other hand, I don't know how Nvidia could handle server costs only with the $5 a month subscription, with no other sources of revenue, when places like Google get $10 a month PLUS a portion of the cost of the games.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

That old list is inaccurate; if it's the one I'm thinking of, it lists Tomb Raider games, which do *not* currently work on GeForce Now. Here's what I wrote in my feature-length look at Ars today:

GeForce Now has no interest in simplifying the process of finding your compatible games. As of press time, you're required to manually search within Nvidia's app for every game you own, then add it to the GeForce Now app's "library" tab. Nvidia has yet to publish a comprehensive list of supported games for the service's public launch. Worse, the service used to share a comprehensive list, but that's been taken down as of press time.

As a result, this weekend, I spent half an hour manually typing in every game I own across all five services, and additional games I don't, just to determine what I could test. And to top off that madness, the service comes with a weird exception: certain Steam games will work in GeForce Now, despite not appearing in the GeForce Now app. But to figure out which games those are, you have to—I'm not making this up—boot into GeForce Now's Steam instance, then manually double-click on every game you own to see if there are any loopholes that you can sneak onto the cloud service. Doing this mostly brought up error messages for me, with the exception of oddball fare like Metal Wolf Chaos XD.

No thanks. I'll just wait for Nvidia to get its act together and issue a formal list like every other gaming-service retailer in existence.

Also, once you build a library in the GeForce Now system, you can't go through and sort it using any filters. It lists every game "chronologically," based on when you added or last played it. And you can't get a text list, only massive icons. It's infuriatingly ancient in practice. I have nearly 200 games in my GFN library, which is currently a nuisance to sort.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Hope support for older titles isn't far off, as it lacking quite a bit right now.

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I have a decent amount of games on Steam and EGS because of Humble Bundle and the free games on EGS. But I don't actually have a good gaming PC. In fact, my primary PC that I use every day doesn't even have a dedicated GPU.

My question is, are the games streaming from my PC to my mobile device like Remote Play, or do the stream from gaming PC servers hosted by Nvidia, like Stadia or Playstation Now? Because if it's the latter, then that's huge. People wouldn't have to wait for Nvidia to have their own sales or double dip on games; they would just have to supply their own games. But, on the other hand, I don't know how Nvidia could handle server costs only with the $5 a month subscription, with no other sources of revenue, when places like Google get $10 a month PLUS a portion of the cost of the games.
It's the latter and yep it's fucking awesome if you have a potato pc.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Just played Quake 2 RTX and the latency here was very noticeable but the IQ was fantastic. Is there a way to increase the resolution in games to my native screen rest (>1080p)?

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Not sure if it's because I was using the windows app, but I tried destiny 2 and while moving around was pretty good, every time I was shooting it stuttered like mad. Maybe it will get better after the initial rush of people signing up.

It doesn't. I've played it on beta for my shield for a good long time; peoples reactions to this service is going to take a turn after they've actually tried the service itself. The ONLY thing that this has over stadia is the games library. Even then it's not all encompassing.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
So there is an option to just load up Steam instead of searching your games. It lists my entire Steam library there, even games that are not on the list of compatible games. What does that allow me to do exactly?

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
tlVrWHe.png

Say what you will about Stadia, but I've never not been able to be up and running in a game within 30 seconds of clicking on it. I realize that they're probably getting hammered right now, but that's been spinning for me for over 5 minutes, and that's AFTER I signed up for Founder's access. I had that happen to me numerous times during the beta as well. And as I've documented in other threads, once I actually get an instance, I'll have to spend another two minutes manually typing in my complex Steam password and dealing with SteamGuard, a process which seems to only intermittently cache itself from session-to-session. Nvidia has a lot of work to do to make the user experience for this acceptable, especially as a portable gaming solution, and I was hoping that they were going to do so before the official release....

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
So there is an option to just load up Steam instead of searching your games. It lists my entire Steam library there, even games that are not on the list of compatible games. What does that allow me to do exactly?

it used to allow you to download and play any games on that list but the ability to do that was removed, you can start up a different supported game from there though if you wish

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

My question is, are the games streaming from my PC to my mobile device (like Remote Play), or do they stream from gaming PC servers hosted by Nvidia (like Stadia or Playstation Now)? Because if it's the latter, then that's huge. People wouldn't have to wait for Nvidia to have their own sales or double dip on games; they would just have to supply their own games. But, on the other hand, I don't know how Nvidia could handle server costs only with the $5 a month subscription, with no other sources of revenue, when places like Google get $10 a month PLUS a portion of the cost of the games.

it works the same way as xcloud, stadia work. that's the reason they can promise 1080p 60 with rtx on to customers.

They've had remote play for a while already

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Mine has been stuck at my order in progress, refresh in a few minutes for about 30 minutes now. :(

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
That old list is inaccurate; if it's the one I'm thinking of, it lists Tomb Raider games, which do *not* currently work on GeForce Now. Here's what I wrote in my feature-length look at Ars today:

Also, once you build a library in the GeForce Now system, you can't go through and sort it using any filters. It lists every game "chronologically," based on when you added or last played it. And you can't get a text list, only massive icons. It's infuriatingly ancient in practice. I have nearly 200 games in my GFN library, which is currently a nuisance to sort.
So it has even less games than on that list? Wow.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
got it working on my pixelbook go by toggling on developer mode and downloading the apk

now if only i can get mods in wow

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Tonight I am definitely going to be trying to sideload the GeForce Now app on my Bravia Android TV. Have this directly on my TV could be incredible.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
As a big Stadia supporter, this is a much more compelling value for the vast majority of people (or at least the vast majority of ResetEra users, anyway). There are several things this does better than Stadia and some things it does worse. I know a lot of people are going to be understandably excited to be able to play games in their existing libraries, but I don't have titles purchased in any of those services so that's a moot point for me. The queueing system sounds... problematic.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019

Moonlight Game Streaming: Play Your PC Games Remotely

Moonlight allows you to play your PC games remotely on almost any device.
  • Free and open source
  • 120fps
  • Local network or over the internet
  • PC, Mac, iOS, Android, Raspberry Pi, Vita, Chromebook, etc
Uses your own PC [with compatible gamestreaming nvidia card] but no waiting or login hassle etc. I've used it locally before and it worked great, haven't tried it remotely but I just got a really good connection and will test it out.

Last edited:

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will now wait for it to be available in Brazil just like how I've been waiting for 4 years for PS Now to work here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
As of press time, you're required to manually search within Nvidia's app for every game you own, then add it to the GeForce Now app's "library" tab. Nvidia has yet to publish a comprehensive list of supported games for the service's public launch. Worse, the service used to share a comprehensive list, but that's been taken down as of press time.

As a result, this weekend, I spent half an hour manually typing in every game I own across all five services, and additional games I don't, just to determine what I could test. And to top off that madness, the service comes with a weird exception: certain Steam games will work in GeForce Now, despite not appearing in the GeForce Now app. But to figure out which games those are, you have to—I'm not making this up—boot into GeForce Now's Steam instance, then manually double-click on every game you own to see if there are any loopholes that you can sneak onto the cloud service. Doing this mostly brought up error messages for me, with the exception of oddball fare like Metal Wolf Chaos XD.

This is my biggest issue with the service so far. I'd love to be able to just log into my various accounts and the app show me what I can and can't stream. I have over a thousand games across Steam, EGS, Battle.net etc. When I load up the Geforce NOW application and it asks me what I want to play - and I have to manually search for a game that I remember is on one of my accounts and add it to my Geforce library - I freeze up. It's a bad user experience.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

• Free
  • 120fps
  • Open Source
  • PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Raspberry Pi (vita too)
Uses your own PC but no waiting or login hassle etc. I've used it locally before and it worked great, haven't tried it remotely but I just got a really good connection.

Moonlight is based on Nvidia's streaming (remote play) service. Nvidia's GameStream is free as well. This service that is being talked about in the OP however is the Stadia, PS Now, xCloud service (don't need good local hardware to play)
(formerly Limelight) is an open source implementation of NVIDIA's GameStream protocol. We implemented the protocol used by the NVIDIA Shield and wrote a se of 3rd party clients.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017

• Free
  • 120fps
  • Open Source
  • PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Raspberry Pi (vita too)
Uses your own PC but no waiting or login hassle etc. I've used it locally before and it worked great, haven't tried it remotely but I just got a really good connection.
For people with crappy PCs, this is useless.
GeForce Now is much more appealing because the games run on Nvidia's own super PCs. Too bad about the limited game compatibility, though.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting it set up now. This is insane. It actually just straight up runs Stream? This is awesome.

Just saw the Ars article about not every game working. That's weird if it's just running Steam on Windows.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017

You can add "Steam" to your library. Just search for it in the search bar.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Triedi t for a bit. Works suprisingly great. Too bad it's only 1080p/60 for now.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oh wait, I can play Disco Elysium with this?

I sold my gaming PC a while ago so this is a really tempting proposition.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Its better than Stadia but game streaming in itself isn't good.
I guess this has an appeal for people who don't want to throw cash at a top of the line gaming PC though

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
So i just tried Pathfinder: Kingmaker on my Phone and it was not a bad experience. It's of course a little fiddly just controlling it with a touch screen but i didn't have any problems getting the game to do what i wanted. Reading was a little hard because the fonts are very small but zooming in did remedy that.

Quality of the stream was also ok. I had some packet loss warnings but the game itself felt smooth and i did not notice any lag in the audio.

Next i will try a faster paced game.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Moonlight is based on Nvidia's streaming service. Nvidia's one is free as well. This service that is being talked about in the OP is the Stadia, PS Now, xCloud service

You can accomplish the same thing with this but for free and to a higher standard if you have a decent PC with an Nvidia card (and a decent connection for remote connections instead of just locally). Nvidia's implementation is limited to the shield and I don't think it allows remote connections.

If you don't have a decent PC with an nvidia gpu, I can see this being useful. Maybe for AMD users or people grabbing free epic store games for the future.
Only other advantage I can see with this subscription is that you don't need the games installed locally I think.

For people with crappy PC's, this is useless.
GeForce Now is much more appealing because the games run on Nvidia's own super PC's. Too bad about the limited game compatibility, though.
Yeah, that's the thing you need a decent PC (though mine is like 6 years old and works for this - I can do 1080p 60fps no problem even in RDR2 - but not raytracing...though I'll be upgrading soon) ... and to set up a way to turn your computer on/off remotely, which should be doable I think, will look into it now that I've got the connection for it.

Last edited:

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I just updated the Ars article with regional availability and Founders Tier pricing info. If OP wants to update, here ya go:

Caribbean: Anguilla, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Montserrat, Puerto Rico, Saint Barthelemy, Turks and Caicos, British Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands

Middle East: Israel, Turkey

North Africa: Morocco, Tunisia

North America: Canada, Mexico, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, United States

Europe: Aland Islands (Finland), Albania, Andora, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canary Islands (Spain), Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom

US: $4.99

CA: $6.49 CAD

UK £4.99

DE 5,49€

ES 5,49€

FR 5,49€

IT 5,49€

PL 25,00zł

NO Kr59,00

SE 59kr

FI 5,49€

DK 45,00kr

NL 5,49€

CZ 139,00Kč

AT 5,49€

EU 5.49€

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I think I'll wait a few days for everything to die down before giving the free 1-hour service a shot. I'm interested to see what improvements have been made since I last tried it 3-4 months ago.
I'm hoping Wreckfest and Darksiders 3 are still available to play, as those were the 2 I spent the most time on during its Beta phase. Hopefully the performance has improved. Wreckfest's framerate tended to nosedive during pile-ups, but with the recent upgrade it might not.
I'm also interested to see if I still get packet-loss problems on my 68mbps connection.

Tonight though, is all about Zombie Army 4. But that's a topic for another thread.