• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did Nvidia just killed Google Stadia ?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 454 48.2%
  • Google Stadia will need a deep rework

Votes: 407 43.2%
  • Google Stadia is fine

Votes: 81 8.6%

• Total voters

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
So what's the deal with resolution, frame rate, hdr, audio output? Recently got a shield TV and tested game stream but my network isn't at a place where it's really useable at the moment but I'm planning on fixing that soon.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Sooo the description always kind of confused me. Does this simply mean I can play my steam games on phone or iPad? Is there an ipad app? Do I need to own the games I play or is it a Netflix style library? Thanks

You are basically renting virtual machine on Nvidia servers. So you are playing games you own (not all but many) on that virtual machine. And no is apps because Apple won't allow store where they can't get 30% cut.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Do they still restrict access to certain games? On the beta they removed a lot of games recently, like capcom games and the total war games.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Have they said anywhere what the max streaming resolution is? Is it still limited to 1080p?

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
yeah, I find this substantially more appealing than Stadia personally. The only thing I'm sorta confused about is what's the "limited time offer" part of the Founders membership? Is it the 4.99 price or the 90 day introductory period?

Also this isn't a super big deal, but I do kinda wish, there was a way to just pay 60 dollars up front instead of just the 4.99 a month. Not a dealbreaker or anything, but assuming this works really well on my internet connection, I'd probably be very interested in long term use, and I'd be more than happy to pay for the entire year.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Everything but the queuing system seems great. Instant access is what makes streaming worthwhile.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I find this substantially more appealing than Stadia personally. The only thing I'm sorta confused about is what's the "limited time offer" part of the Founders membership? Is it the 4.99 price or the 90 day introductory period?

Also this isn't a super big deal, but I do kinda wish, there was a way to just pay 60 dollars up front instead of just the 4.99 a month. Not a dealbreaker or anything, but assuming this works really well on my internet connection, I'd probably be very interested in long term use, and I'd be more than happy to pay for the entire year.

It's $4.99 after the 90 day trial period. I just signed up and my first billing date is some time in May.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
so i set it up on my pc... grab my chromebook

mn11DBU.png

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, is this like the old service that required you to own an nVidia graphics card to stream from your PC? Or is this just like Stadia, PS Now & xCloud, but you just have to own the game?

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Just signed up and noticing that I have to look up each game individually. Doesn't seem to let me enter my accounts and have them pull supported games from there. That's a bit disappointing.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
The list of games is extremely limited.
They are adding more games to this, right?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I'm sorta confused about is what's the "limited time offer" part of the Founders membership? Is it the 4.99 price or the 90 day introductory period?

It's 4.99 for the first 12 months during the 'Founders period'. After that it'll be the 'Geforce NOW Premium subscription' for an unspecified amount.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Just to clarify, is this like the old service that required you to own an nVidia graphics card to stream from your PC? Or is this just like Stadia, PS Now & xCloud, but you just have to own the game?

The latter, it's cloud streaming. Like stadia etc. You just need to own the games.

pepone1234

Feb 19, 2018
Do you know where I go to enter my Steam account? I haven't found anything yet, just asking me to verify each time I start a game that I add to my library from the built in search option.
When you select a game and click on "Play" the app redirects you to a kind of virtual desktop in the cloud. There it will ask you to log in into your steam account to verify that you own the game.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
you can use your steam library to play on this service
But not all games on my library are compatible, right?
I'm reading the official list here (Wayback machine because the site is down):

EDIT: Yeah, I'm gonna pass on this one. Not a single MS game like Forza or Killer Instinct.

I'll just wait for Xcloud, whenever the eff it comes out of beta and into every territory. :/

Last edited:

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
Theres gonna be quite a few disappointed people here soon. Not every game is supported, in fact i would go as far to say its pretty damn limited, and for those of you saying theres a workaround its been patched a while back. The service itself can be extremely inconsistent at times and goes from perfectly fine to unplayable with no reason as to why that might be.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
you sacrifice 4k but add in Nvidia raytracing at 1080p 60 seems like a decent request

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Just tried the free tier and played Two Point Hospital on my Macbook. Was quite impressed by the image quality and performance.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
If you're looking for lengthy impressions, Ars Technica has them. I spent all weekend testing the service to answer the kinds of questions popping up in this thread.

Here's what I loved about my pre-release tests of GeForce Now: I could play games I already own on my crappiest devices with incredible performance results. While connected via Ethernet on my home-office connection, rated for 250Mbps down, 10Mbps up, I enjoyed nearly latency-free performance on a majority of my tested games. Fortnite, Apex Legends, Destiny 2, and the 2019 remake of Modern Warfare: I played these on mouse and keyboard via GeForce Now and barely noticed their inherent latency.

Yes, I'm as stunned as you are. And if you don't believe me, you won't want to see the following sentence: I could play the sensational 2017 retro throwback Sonic Mania via GeForce Now without missing a single jump or dash.

What's more, I can go into every supported game's settings menus and tinker to my heart's content, because GeForce Now effectively leases a Windows gaming PC to each of its users. I'm not accessing a game's limited build with a missing options menu. Fine-tuned settings like ambient occlusion, shadow resolution, even v-sync and super-sampling: they're all mine to tweak.

monkyrez

Oct 27, 2017
Signed up for the free plan and loaded up Wolf:Youngblood since it's a pretty fast and nice looking game. Was really impressed honestly, the input lag was really good and the bitrate on the stream seemed really nice. Fairly minimal compression artifacts while I was playing. As someone who also has access to Stadia I have to say, if it wasn't already extremely obvious to them Google really needs to start looking at different business models or I think that thing is gonna be DOA because after trying both this and XCloud I fail to see how Google's value proposition makes sense.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sadly, it appears that the rumours that you can play all your games were false, it's the same limitations as the beta.

With that said, it does include Fortnite, so that's probably enough to put Stadia in trouble on it's own.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
so the price might change after the Founders period. Well, that's kind of a bummer, but it would be nice if the 4.99 price stuck.

They say right on sign up that the price is a limited time offer.

Founders Membership subscription pricing for GeForce NOW Service will be billed monthly and is valid for up to one year, and will terminate upon any cancellation of the GeForce NOW Founders Membership. Thereafter, GeForce NOW Founders Membership pricing and plan benefits will convert to the same as a GeForce NOW Premium Membership, at the current monthly subscription price for the GeForce NOW Premium Membership service.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Where am I installing these Steam games? I am on my work computer. Is there some online desktop that I have with Geforce now?

GaussTek

Oct 30, 2017
Well, surprisingly, it's available in Mexico lol and works alright. Tried with the Witcher 3, seems that you first have to download your games to Nvidia servers, right? It didn't take too long, but I wasn't expecting that. After that I just normally launched the game from the Steam UI and the game worked pretty fine.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
When you select a game and click on "Play" the app redirects you to a kind of virtual desktop in the cloud. There it will ask you to log in into your steam account to verify that you own the game.
Thanks and yep that's what Ive been doing, seems needlessly complicated. So I sign in with my Steam account and see a streamed version of the Steam app with all my games. Then within the Steam app I have to search for the game again and click on download, has to be a supported game of course. They should definitely try to streamline this experience.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Just played 15 minutes of Destiny 2 on my MacBook Pro (early-2016) from my office (university campus). We have super restricted Wi-Fi here; I've never been able to get Playstation Remote Play to connect ever.

60FPS locked the entire time, no notable latency, no stutter, no hitches. It did drop the rendering resolution significantly at certain times. The Tower was like the 3DS Xenoblade port for a couple minutes - but patrolling the Moon looked amazing. And again, not a single latency hitch or FPS drop the entire time. I'm impressed. Sad that the one big game I'm currently playing, FF14, isn't supported at all.

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
Image quality is a bit fuzzy, but the input lag seem acceptable. Maybe not for fast fighting games or multiplayer shooters, but felt pretty good. What are the specs on the servers? Did anyone say RTX 2080? That's amazing value for 5 dollars then.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a complete whitelist available of all the compatible GeForce Now games floating about?

Oct 28, 2017
I just tried it out with Hollow Knight, and if I didn't just immediately boot up the actual game afterwards for comparison I'd almost swear the was no input lag. Image quality seemed great as well... Impressive stuff.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
This could be a sweet way to smooth over the time til they release their new cards. I'll definitely try it when DOOM releases.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
So your PC doesn't need to be on for this to work right? And save files?

Also it's not every single game on steam right?

auicc

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it's because I was using the windows app, but I tried destiny 2 and while moving around was pretty good, every time I was shooting it stuttered like mad. Maybe it will get better after the initial rush of people signing up.