• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did Nvidia just killed Google Stadia ?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 454 48.2%
  • Google Stadia will need a deep rework

Votes: 407 43.2%
  • Google Stadia is fine

Votes: 81 8.6%

• Total voters

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Look forward to giving this a try when I have the chance. This is easily the most attractive streaming model I've seen. Access to my existing library when I'm away from my PC, or basically being able to rent a more powerful system when my own isn't quite up to it (but still keeping the option to run it natively in future) is much more my bag than what Stadia is offering.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
So how does it work exactly? Made an account, logged in to the app, selcted Destiny 2, it launches, logs me into the Steam and then shows Destiny 2 Steam page and that's it... :D

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like such a killer move for not just Stadia but xCloud and PS Now as well since Nvidia included frikkin Steam!
PC versions, no porting needed, will evolve beautifully as new PC hardware becomes available, and about a quarter of my games were available day 1, free for an hour or $4.99/month. And it's out now!

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
So how does it work exactly? Made an account, logged in to the app, selcted Destiny 2, it launches, logs me into the Steam and then shows Destiny 2 Steam page and that's it... :D
Lol yeah it's confusing, just install the game (it'll take a second and won't download or install on your computer even though it looks that way) and play👍

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ran the AC:Odyssey Benchmark at 1080p/ULTRA settings. Average of 62 fps. That's obviously not locked, but still a good result. Odyssey is a notoriously hard ton run game on PC. Latency is fine enough for such a game.
Impressive service Nvidia, gonna give you that.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
I wanted to try it out in my Mac before I buy Disco Elysium, so I installed and clicked on the first that came to mind: Arkham Knight.

However, I can't get the damn thing to start. I get into Steam and it wanted to install the game. Tried two more times and the same thing happened. Is this how it's supposed to work?

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
Ran the AC:Odyssey Benchmark at 1080p/ULTRA settings. Average of 62 fps. That's obviously not locked, but still a good result. Odyssey is a notoriously hard ton run game on PC. Latency is fine enough for such a game.
Impressive service Nvidia, gonna give you that.

And ultra volumetric cloud too! Felt very smooth to me.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to try it out in my Mac before I buy Disco Elysium, so I installed and clicked on the first that came to mind: Arkham Knight.

However, I can't get the damn thing to start. I get into Steam and it wanted to install the game. Tried two more times and the same thing happened. Is this how it's supposed to work?

You click on install, wait a couple second till the install button jumps over to play and then click play

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And ultra volumetric cloud too! Felt very smooth to me.

Yes!
I tried it on a cheap Tablet, over mobile data and even there it is surprisingly playable. There was sometimes a very small delay, nothing serious but again: It's on mobile data, with probably a terrible even more lag inducing screen. I played a bit of Dark Souls Remastered yesterday and I'd would be able to beat the game that way... probably.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
It's streaming from a server where the game runs on some beastly rig.
It's a bit confusing at first though, since you get requested to install the games through the steam client you start to access your Steam games on Geforce Now... But once you "install" it takes a second to download and install lol then it's up and running on the server.
Sounds good. Can you unlock Steam achievements etc by using it like this?

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok. Wow. Just wow. The app complains about my connection all the time (I only have a crappy 2.4 GHz connection) but still, it runs very smooth, quality is good and the most impressive thing is that I feel zero latency. All input feels absolutely instant to me.

This is a game changer! Streaming sure has come a long way. Last time I used it was with Gaikai.

Edit: I'm trying it out on my 1440p display now. Now there's a bit latency, but it's not bad. First impression was with using my laptop display at 144Hz, maybe that helped with the latency I dunno.

Last edited:

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
5 bucks to play my own library on the go? If this works out I might need to change my phone data plan. Will give this a whirl at home tonight.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
this is gonna be my roundabout way of demoing games /nvm you still have to own the game on steam aparently

Last edited:

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I do hope Data protection is good on Nvidias side tough.
I don't want my steam account banned due to a fuckup by nvidia

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
I don't quite understand one thing as of yet. I have Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair on Epic Games Store, but when i try to launch it through Geforce Now it starts Steam, where i don't have the game. How do i "connect" it to Epic instead?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I do hope Data protection is good on Nvidias side tough.
I don't want my steam account banned due to a fuckup by nvidia
Yeah that thought crossed my mind as well... Feels weird to login with Steam Authenticator everytime I start a game and feels unsafe to save the login and give full access to my Steam login info to a device I don't have.
But I guess this is just paranoia?
I don't know how good Valve's data protection is either.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah that thought crossed my mind as well... Feels weird to login with Steam Authenticator everytime I start a game and feels unsafe to save the login and give full access to my Steam login info to a device I don't have.
But I guess this is just paranoia?
I don't know how good Valve's data protection is either.
aw shit did not think about the Authenticator thing. Will be a pain to use your phone to play and switch between the Now-app and the TFA-app to get the code.
Not sure about saving the password either...

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
I would have paid the subscription just for MHW, but it seems all Capcom games are not available.

Neoshockwave

Oct 28, 2017
May have been addressed before, but on Android the 'My List' section is blank; I don't have a tonne of GeForce Experience games on my desktop but if I for instance search for Dark Souls III separately on the app and open it via Steam it works.

Am I missing something or does it not integrate your applicable games list correctly yet?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Geforce Now is the route Nintendo ultimately take to get streaming capability in the future, given their relationship with nVidia.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
aw shit did not think about the Authenticator thing. Will be a pain to use your phone to play and switch between the Now-app and the TFA-app to get the code.
Not sure about saving the password either...
Might be paranoia like I said. But it's not smooth that's for sure. Is there a way to manage the devices that are logged in to your Steam account? In that case you could at least delete the login access when you're done gaming for the evening.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
May have been addressed before, but on Android the 'My List' section is blank; I don't have a tonne of GeForce Experience games on my desktop but if I for instance search for Dark Souls III separately on the app and open it via Steam it works.

Am I missing something or does it not integrate your applicable games list correctly yet?
You have to manually add them to the app it seems. It displays "featured" games but you have to search for a game and then add it. When you load the launcher in their client you'll see all your games there but you can only launch the one you selected at the Geforce Now app level.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I just played some Darksiders 3, could swap to epic on all graphics settings without choking the performance, there is some stutter but I'm not sure if that's a location/server thing rather than the server hardware struggling.

It's a bummer that Shadow of the Tomb Raider isn't there, would be fun to try out ray-tracing without paying for a new GPU.

momottolo

Aug 20, 2019
Does the quality improve if you have the paid subscription ?

Because my connection is above the recommended spec but the quality is rough, it should be 1080p but it looks more like 800p, text isn't very defined

Anyway is there a list of supported games ?

Neoshockwave

Oct 28, 2017
You have to manually add them to the app it seems. It displays "featured" games but you have to search for a game and then add it. When you load the launcher in their client you'll see all your games there but you can only launch the one you selected at the Geforce Now app level.

Thanks for the clarification. Seems pretty cumbersome to have to manually do it but sure I shouldn't complain given the free option!

Egrimal

Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
Waiting patiently for iOS support - or would even be happy if they can get it working on Android TV so i can run it directly on the Bravia in the living room. This is certainly of interest to me and would actually make it easier for me to tackle that steam backlog finally!

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
I really don't think the picture quality is that great but I'd be willing to pay (and possibly still will) for this service if it improved. Right now I have a better image running Moonlight from my desktop, even over the Internet.

Having access to RTX is really nice though.

Oct 28, 2017
Alright, just tried it out -- I'm impressed. I've been an unhappy Stadia customer since day two (my code didn't come in on Day one), and I'm pretty surprised how much better the video feed is between the two. I took a few screenshots of raid locations on both services. I'm only using the free version of GeForce Now though, so I don't know if it would look better on the paid tier (which is currently half the price of Stadia).

Stadia:
scourge_stadia.png

GeForce Now:
scourge_geforce.png

Stadia:
leviathan_stadia.png

GeForce Now:
leviathan_geforce.png

Stadia:
lastWish_stadia.png

GeForce Now:
lastWish_geforce.png

It helps to drag the images to new tabs and ctrl+tab between the two of them to really see the difference.

Geforce Now is a rather large upgrade over Stadia, I mean look at the quality bump.

Freed Games

Oct 29, 2017
Austria
This would be a great addition to the Switch, as most of these games would probably never find their way into its portfolio anyway.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
How does the free tier work exactly? Is it free up to an hour total and then you can't play again until you pay? Or an hour per day? Or an hour, then it kicks you and you have to re-log back in?

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How does the free tier work exactly? Is it free up to an hour total and then you can't play again until you pay? Or an hour per day? Or an hour, then it kicks you and you have to re-log back in?
You get 1 hour sessions, as many as you want. But if the queue is full, you go back to the end.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
You can re-log immediately and continue playing. Of course sometimes you have to wait in queue.

Jun 2, 2019
This would be a great addition to the Switch, as most of these games would probably never find their way into its portfolio anyway.

I don't think Nintendo would ever allow a Streaming service into the Switch (I mean, the didn't even allow a local streaming app like Moonlight) unlike they're desesperate and NVidia wants to include it in some sort of deal.

I can, however, see them launching, along with NVidia, some sort of Nintendo Now in their Online service (With NVidia's help of course)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
A new latency test, shows some minor stutter as well, could be from the streaming, location or wifi but all in all I'm impressed!

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
when i try to stream w3 it opens up the steam store page for it, but i already have it on steam. so when i click play now it tries to download and install the game.

couldnt figure this thing out