• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did Nvidia just killed Google Stadia ?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 454 48.2%
  • Google Stadia will need a deep rework

Votes: 407 43.2%
  • Google Stadia is fine

Votes: 81 8.6%

• Total voters

stepee

Jan 29, 2018
I had some financial difficulties last fall and had to sell my gaming pc to make rent, so I was left with a library of games I couldn't play anymore, some l was in the middle of, and I probably won't replace it until sometime next year.

Now I can play a nice chunk of those games (and hopefully more soon!) using my surface and was able to resume where I left off. This makes me very very happy.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
You sign in once per service. It remembers your login credentials after the first time you log in.
I've had to enter my Steam account password for every game I've played so far. Even when playing the same game twice (i.e Destiny on my PC wifi, then my android phone, then PC ethernet)

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Just tested out Bioshock Infinite.
Game looks crisp, the latency is horrible where I am though lol
Move analog stick up...waits 1 second...looks down

wish I was closer to a server...

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I've had to enter my Steam account password for every game I've played so far. Even when playing the same game twice (i.e Destiny on my PC wifi, then my android phone, then PC ethernet)

I played Destiny 2 and Bioshock Infinite had to only put in my password the first time

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused. I added a couple games to GFNow that are on my Steam Account. I click the green PLAY button, and GFNow goes full screen and outs the Steam client in front asking me to just run the game off steam itself. How do I stream it from NVidia then? Tried it with a game I even have installed in my Steam library and it even thinks I need to install it again...

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
Tried the free version for a second and it worked pretty good on WiFi. Tried no mans sky and got a pretty solid frame rate though the resolution was a little low. Helps that I live in San Jose not terribly far from Nvidia headquarters.

I will pay for the subscription as soon as they put monster hunter world on there. I can only reach a steady 30fps with my laptop. Would love to play it at a higher FPS.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. I added a couple games to GFNow that are on my Steam Account. I click the green PLAY button, and GFNow goes full screen and outs the Steam client in front asking me to just run the game off steam itself. How do I stream it from NVidia then? Tried it with a game I even have installed in my Steam library and it even thinks I need to install it again...
Once you are at that screen, you need to click on your Library from the steam client (inside GFN) then select the same game and choose install. You have to choose the exact same game, no other one will work

Really not intuitive

Did you check the box to have Steam remember your password?

It's checked by default

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

What you are looking at is a streamed steam UI from nVidias servers.

So if you hit play from there you'll be streaming the game.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I likely won't be using this service, but I guarantee it's going to start being advertised through GeForce Experience sooner or later, and probably in the most obnoxious ways you can think of...

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
First impressions aren't great so far.

Tried loading up Path of Exile, but I only play on Steam so I can't play the standalone version. So I swap over, load up Steam, and now I have to install Path of Exile. I've heard people saying that's normal but it goes quick, so I went ahead and started the install. Well at least for PoE, it definitely wasn't quick. After waiting about 10 minutes and getting an error message stating I would have to do this every time I launch Geforce Now I gave up. I'm not going to sit through a 10-20 minute install of PoE every time I want to play it.

So then I quit out and loaded up Apex Legends. The game runs fairly well, and input lag wasn't really noticeable, but man it was a pixelated mess. I made sure my quality settings were set to max, but even at 1080p, it's very clearly a video stream, and not a very high bit rate one.

I like the overall business model, but they really need to step up the quality. I also have Stadia, and it looks and runs way better than this. Hell, I can run my same Steam games through Steam link to my phone/TV/laptop and it looks better.

It's possible some of these issues are launch day woes. So I'm going to give it some time and try it out more, but so far I'm not very impressed.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
What you are looking at is a streamed steam UI from nVidias servers.

So if you hit play from there you'll be streaming the game.

Got it. Thanks. "Stream launch failed." I'm sure the work out these launch day kinks soon.

People just plain want the Netflix of games and I think we're still a couple years away.

Last edited:

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Alright, just tried it out -- I'm impressed. I've been an unhappy Stadia customer since day two (my code didn't come in on Day one), and I'm pretty surprised how much better the video feed is between the two. I took a few screenshots of raid locations on both services. I'm only using the free version of GeForce Now though, so I don't know if it would look better on the paid tier (which is currently half the price of Stadia).

Stadia:
scourge_stadia.png

GeForce Now:
scourge_geforce.png

Stadia:
leviathan_stadia.png

GeForce Now:
leviathan_geforce.png

Stadia:
lastWish_stadia.png

GeForce Now:
lastWish_geforce.png

It helps to drag the images to new tabs and ctrl+tab between the two of them to really see the difference.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Has anybody else played this on 55-in plus 4K TV? I think anybody saying that the image quality is good must be playing on 1080p monitor.. hopefully I can download the app at work so I can see it on a 1080p monitor.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Alright, just tried it out -- I'm impressed. I've been an unhappy Stadia customer since day two (my code didn't come in on Day one), and I'm pretty surprised how much better the video feed is between the two. I took a few screenshots of raid locations on both services. I'm only using the free version of GeForce Now though, so I don't know if it would look better on the paid tier (which is currently half the price of Stadia).

Stadia:
scourge_stadia.png

GeForce Now:
scourge_geforce.png

Stadia:
leviathan_stadia.png

GeForce Now:
leviathan_geforce.png

Stadia:
lastWish_stadia.png

GeForce Now:
lastWish_geforce.png

It helps to drag the images to new tabs and ctrl+tab between the two of them to really see the difference.
That's significant. I'm sure people's mileage will vary depending on server load/location etc, but if this is what you can expect to get for results, I know which I'd pick.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Loaded up Half-Life 2 and played for a few minutes. Lots of macro-blocking though there wasn't a whole lot of game lag itself. I can see this working well over Ethernet but unfortunately I don't have that option and are limited to Wi-Fi. Really neat tech though.

Tenck

Oct 27, 2017
So I booted up Witcher 3, and it downloaded it to what I'm assuming is a VM. Quit the app and now it's making me download it again? Anyone have this happen?

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any good controller solutions for mobile? Seems to work decently on my network so I can see myself using this to do an hour of a game in bed if I can work out a decent controller to use.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
So I booted up Witcher 3, and it downloaded it to what I'm assuming is a VM. Quit the app and now it's making me download it again? Anyone have this happen?

It tries to give you the same VM I think but if it's been recycled into the pool of other users you get a different one and have to re-download (and log in again.)

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
So they're just running a VM with some GPU compute that you can remotely install stuff onto I guess?

Seems short sighted. Dedicated services will inevitably perform better in the long haul.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried the free tier on a 175 Mbps comcast connection. Tested Modern Warfare and the main menus would freeze for a few seconds, every few seconds. After a while, the game/client just crashed. Tested a second game, Doom and other than the confusing interface (you have to trigger an install or something to get the streamed steam client to recognize the game is already available), I'm pretty impressed by what I see. I only tested one of the beginning levels and the framerate was hovering between 60ish to 100+ at 1080p max settings, so not as bad as that one user here (though I do know that later levels end up being more demanding).

Any good controller solutions for mobile? Seems to work decently on my network so I can see myself using this to do an hour of a game in bed if I can work out a decent controller to use.
I use an Xbox One controller with the official microsoft controller clip (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/p...-xbox/8rtf503l2pl9?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0) with my iphone for other streaming purposes and it works great and is very flexible. Should work well too on android phones.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I want to try fancy new games but unfortunately my Steam account is populated with Indie games and 10+ year old games that aren't supported.

Not a single Unreal title seems to be playable.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Has anybody else played this on 55-in plus 4K TV? I think anybody saying that the image quality is good must be playing on 1080p monitor.. hopefully I can download the app at work so I can see it on a 1080p monitor.

I did. Loved it, particularly the frame rate, but yes it looks like 1080p content. There's no magic here, they are simply delivering exactly what they promised.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The connection test warned me of stutter or high latency, but that didn't seem to be the case.
gfnow-test-eqjdh.png

Seems like a bug based on those stats and my results. It thought I was connected to a VPN for some reason which may have been why (I'm guessing that's Hyper-V's virtual network devices).

The setup process is certainly not what I would have expected, with it launching me to a Steam client, having to manually type in my password (no copy/paste) and install the games.
The install was quick (cached) but launching Dishonored 2 felt like it took minutes, and the regular loading times were not that quick either.

Image quality and latency were better than I expected.
  • I had the client set to the maximum settings available: 1920x1200, 60 FPS and 50mbps rather than auto. You can tell that it's obviously video and the picture is a bit soft in motion, but it's a totally playable experience. Seemed at least comparable to local streaming via Steam Link.
  • Control with a mouse makes some latency noticeable, but the combination of a gaming monitor (10ms) and 22ms latency with the service means that the total latency is comparable to if not lower than my TV in game mode (55ms).
If the average person could get this experience, I can see demand for owning hardware plummeting. It seems like a great way for people to try "PC gaming" without the hardware costs. Same thing for console ownership.
And that's with keyboard and mouse at a desk. Most wouldn't feel the latency as much with a controller, and it opens up the possibility of streaming to other devices like phones/tablets or smart TVs.

That being said, I'm curious to know what kind of hardware it's running on, because performance was disappointing.
Dishonored 2 is a very demanding game, and it chugged on this system. I saw it drop as low as 16 FPS in one spot! This was using Steam's FPS overlay too, which is slow to update - so it was probably worse.
I've never been able to get the game running as well as I'd like, but it does run much better on my Ryzen 1700X / GTX 1070 system.

I tried launching Quake II RTX, and it quit out saying that there was no RTX-capable graphics card installed. EDIT: I missed that this is only available if you pay for a subscription. I wonder if that means RTX features are locked out, or if founders get access to faster hardware overall.
The Evil Within 2
has similar performance issues to Dishonored 2. In a way it's somewhat reassuring that these ports I've considered to be bad are also running poorly on a service built for gaming.

The game selection feels very limited. It seems like some publishers, such as Square Enix, just aren't on the service at all.
  • Many game series' only have one or two games available (usually the most recent) rather than the entire selection.
  • Most indie games don't seem to be present on the service at all.
  • Many games are ones that I wouldn't play at all without the ability to mod them.
It seems clear why they require you to search for a game instead of presenting a list of what is actually available on the service.
It kills a lot of the appeal of bringing your Steam library to the cloud when you really only have access to 5% of it, and it's at the publisher's discretion.

I don't see it replacing my PC any time soon, but I don't think we're that far away from cloud services getting mainstream appeal once people actually get the chance to try them out.
NVIDIA are very smart in having a free tier that gives you hour-long sessions. Takes me back to the days of playing Dreamcast games online when my ISP offered free access, but cut off dial-up connections after an hour (or perhaps it was two) and you'd have to reconnect to continue.

Last edited:

PapaDev

Oct 26, 2017
So I got a 1500 Mbps connection and I'm getting horrible results when the network is analyzed. Go figure.

Also, re-entering your steam password every single time is very annoying when you're using a password manager and you can't copy paste.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I use an Xbox One controller with the official microsoft controller clip (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/p...-xbox/8rtf503l2pl9?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0) with my iphone for other streaming purposes and it works great and is very flexible. Should work well too on android phones.
Thanks for the clip recommendation. Do you have any bluetooth latency or occassional drops? And what phone are you using?

The DS4 just isn't ideal no matter what bluetooth app I try with my galaxy s6+. The best it got was no lag but every minute or so it drops for a second. I'm considering buying a new xbox one bluetooth controller for this as I have the old one.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I did. Loved it, particularly the frame rate, but yes it looks like 1080p content. There's no magic here, they are simply delivering exactly what they promised.

Yep, and I can confirm, this works on my work PC and it looks SOOO much better on a monitor. Nvidia just made Steam THE way I game. I wish Game Pass worked on it! Battle.net and Steam, which other store fronts work, I wonder. I got the founders pack and was pleasantly surprised the first 3 months are free.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017

My untrained eye really can't tell a difference, but I think I see smaller objects looking more defined on the Geforce pictures. Is there a lot of variation between the two services?

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, and I can confirm, this works on my work PC and it looks SOOO much better on a monitor. Nvidia just made Steam THE way I game. I wish Game Pass worked on it! Battle.net and Steam, which other store fronts work, I wonder. I got the founders pack and was pleasantly surprised the first 3 months are free.
Uplay+ should work because there's quite many supported Ubisoft games on this. They should work on getting Origin Access on this, I'm sure EA would love the money.

Don't expect Game Pass though, for both technical reasons (UWP is a pain in the ass) and business reasons (Microsoft wants to sell XCloud).

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
For shits and giggles, I thought about brute-forcing Deadly Premonition since it runs awfully on my PC. Sadly, I can't add it to GeForce Now library! Let me play it, you cowards!

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I got into the beta test for this at the beginning of 2018 and it worked really good for me, albeit with a little bit of latency, curious to try it out now and see how it's improved. I remember it was like you were on your own PC, I was able to access the desktop in the middle of a game and check the hard drive content etc.

Does anyone know how it handles saves, like if I want to play natively from home and then continue a playing somewhere else, will it access the steam cloud save and also upload it back to continue playing from home again?

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
SoulCalibur 6 works remarkably well for a fighting game. Obviously not for super serious tourney play but fun to mash around or creating characters.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019

Stadia:
scourge_stadia.png

GeForce Now:
scourge_geforce.png

Stadia:
leviathan_stadia.png

GeForce Now:
leviathan_geforce.png

Stadia:
lastWish_stadia.png

GeForce Now:
lastWish_geforce.png

D2 on CCU looks a lot better on Stadia than it does on my Shield Pro. It's really not even close. Not sure if you're using a PC to capture that in which case it's 1080vs1080 where there GeForce should win out with maxed out settings.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
How does this work? Does my pc need to be on to access my steam library to stream from anywhere?

if that's the case then how does it end up adding ray tracing and other stuff if my pc isn't powerful enough?

Jun 2, 2019
Thanks for the clip recommendation. Do you have any bluetooth latency or occassional drops? And what phone are you using?

The DS4 just isn't ideal no matter what bluetooth app I try with my galaxy s6+. The best it got was no lag but every minute or so it drops for a second. I'm considering buying a new xbox one bluetooth controller for this as I have the old one.

Not him, but I have a Xbox One controller and the official clip and it's pretty much perfect with my Huawei P Smart 2019, not a noticeable amount of input lag and zero drops. Feels like the compatibility is pretty much built in into Android

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
SoulCalibur 6 works remarkably well for a fighting game. Obviously not for super serious tourney play but fun to mash around or creating characters.
Yeah, it works great on Geforce Now, I just signed up and made a latency test, I'm sure the core fighting gamer crowd would barf at the latency but for me this is 100% okay 👌

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
How does this work? Does my pc need to be on to access my steam library to stream from anywhere?

if that's the case then how does it end up adding ray tracing and other stuff if my pc isn't powerful enough?
It's streaming from a server where the game runs on some beastly rig.
It's a bit confusing at first though, since you get requested to install the games through the steam client you start to access your Steam games on Geforce Now... But once you "install" it takes a second to download and install lol then it's up and running on the server.