• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did Nvidia just killed Google Stadia ?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 454 48.2%
  • Google Stadia will need a deep rework

Votes: 407 43.2%
  • Google Stadia is fine

Votes: 81 8.6%

• Total voters

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
hmmmm, on the outdoors of the starting mission Destiny 2 looks kinda rough...
Running on balanced mode with 15ms latency to the EU Central 3 server. Controls feel good though.
26663dd185ab0ce516eff4f4f0e8fd1f.jpg

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I think I saw some east coast servers in the list. But maybe things are getting a bit hammered at the moment tho?
Possibly? I pulled up a list via the app just now and all I saw were western regions and one "central." I have it set to automatic, but maybe the eastern data centers are slammed and unavailable. Who knows. I'll try again later.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The time limits seem a little odd, but I'm very excited that they are offering a free hour so I can try it out.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The time limits seem a little odd, but I'm very excited that they are offering a free hour so I can try it out.
It's an hour sesssion but your not limited. If your playing a singleplayer game you can play for an hour save log out, log back in and play for another hour etc with no limits as far as I can tell just queuing between sessions.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
So is this the same as the beta where you have the option to just log into a VM and install the games on your own, or is it only for "supported games"?

GaussTek

Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone know if there's a way to change your game language? It defaults to spanish on my system, but I want to play them in English. I already tried setting Destiny 2 (for example) to Eng on from the Steam UI before launching the game, but it doesn't apply the changes (unless I'm missing something?)

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
This (with 50Mbps setting on):

geforcenow.png

I had the Doom ingame performance actived, look at this:

doom-gfnow.png

it doesn't make any sense on a GPU like that... does it runs like that (unplayable) on paid service too?
Wow, that's even worse than when I had a 4 core/4 thread CPU + 780, which is probably ancient hardware by now. Maybe the free version is held back in performance on purpose?

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I used Geforce Now quite a bit in the past and it always worked super nicely for me. Even finished a playthrough of Dark Souls 3 on my Macbook this way, love it :)

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so do you only get 6 hours of play for a month, or you can only play for six hours at a time but can do that multiple times in a month?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm so confused.. I chose a supported game from the list, which I own on Steam.. and it still made me install it?

lol, really slick service there nVidia.

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Sure. Just started Plague Tale: Innocence and AC: Odyssee on my Huawei M5 Lite. The Tablets Bluetooth Support for Controllers is bad, so I could only use the Touch Controls, which was unplayable. But it is working and when you have a Controller connected to your tablets it works.

Could you or anyone here link me the android app ? Nothing is coming up for me. I'm in Canada.

Dec 14, 2019
What's up with this and xCloud not being avaliable on iOS? Is it the same thing that the Steam Link app went trough, where Valve eventuelly could have their app on iOS as long as they removed the store from it?

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Hmmm... I logged into my Steam account and booted up Dark Souls III, and was greeted with a message saying that I had invalid data and that I've been penalized. It said I can no longer play online, and my only option was to start a new game. My save file was not available. I've never modded this game or used a trainer. WeMod is installed on my gaming laptop, but I've never used it with Dark Souls.

Has this happened to anyone else?

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I'm so confused.. I chose a supported game from the list, which I own on Steam.. and it still made me install it?

lol, really slick service there nVidia.
It's a fake installation on THEIR PC... you aren't seeing your Steam client but that it's all streaming, that isn't your PC... the games are already on their PC, the fake installation is to make sure that you have the game on your Steam library, it will take 1 second to "install" it.

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo I don't have a pc. There are PC games id like to try. Can I buy stuff on steam, use this service to stream to my phone then cast it to my tv and use a Bluetooth controller?

Riven

Oct 27, 2017
This runs ARMA III with all Ultra settings. Somewhere a data center is burning down.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I linked my Steam account, but tried Destiny and Torchlight II (yes my PC game collection is old) and I just get a screen with like a honeycomb background

edit: Now I see my Steam client in the VM but it's asking me to buy the games that the client says I own lol. I feel like a tourist

edit2: figured it out, I am SLOW

Last edited:

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
So I got a new router that advises it's 5ghz which REALLY improved my Xcloud experience but GE force Now is saying I am using a 2.4 ghz router. Anyone having that issue? Otherwise this is awesome. Totally YouTube quality but if I can get the app on my work CPU this is gangbusters.

Also, how did they swoop in our of nowhere and beat MS and Google to the punch with web browser service for all?

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
So I got a new router that advises it's 5ghz which REALLY improved my Xcloud experience but GE force Now is saying I am using a 2.4 ghz router. Anyone having that issue? Otherwise this is awesome. Totally YouTube quality but if I can get the app on my work CPU this is gangbusters.

Also, how did they swoop in our of nowhere and beat MS and Google to the punch with web browser service for all?

did you check which network youre on? dual band routers often put up a 2.4 and a 5ghz network.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Soooo I don't have a pc. There are PC games id like to try. Can I buy stuff on steam, use this service to stream to my phone then cast it to my tv and use a Bluetooth controller?

Yes. You just need to have a steam/egs/uplay account so it can pull your library. Nothing is installed locally it's all on the GeForceNow (cloud/vm) rig

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Far too many of my steam and egs games aren't supported right now to consider paying for this, but it seems pretty impressive all the same. The lag on Doom was noticeable but I've tolerated worse. On a PC monitor with little to no image lag for a game like Doom to be that playable is impressive.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Just tried a quick round of Rocket League and a few minutes of Doom 2016, and man, I'm impressed. Both feel as good as playing them on a local Steam Link. Still might be a hair too much latency for me to play a competitive FPS with it, but I'd happily use it for some ranked RL.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed when I tried out Destiny 2 to compare with Stadia. Stadia was smoother overall like I expected but the Geforce version still ran great for me.

...except I keep getting the icon and warning for unstable network connection. My tests are all better than the recommended and my wifi is 5Ghz and I'm like 10 feet from the router.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I've just given it a try with Wreckfest and Darksiders 3.
Performance is definitely better than it was in the beta. Wreckfest doesn't choke when huge crashes are happening and Darksiders 3 is a lot less choppy.
Its not perfect though. Less than a minute into a race in Wreckfest and the stream quality had dropped to what looked like 720p and there were tiny hiccups here and there. Darksiders 3 never dropped resolution, but I got a 'spotty connection' warning a few times. Way fewer than in the beta, but still far from smooth.
(Though I've heard Darksiders 3 never was that well optimised).
Input latency seemed fine though. I didn't really notice any gameplay-ruining lag. Most of the time I didn't notice any lag at all.

Compared to Stadia, where I get 1080p/60 rock solid all the time, Nvidias streaming tech isn't quite as good as Google's, but the ability to play games you already own, and that can be downloaded and played locally (meaning you have an exit strategy if GFN ever goes away) is pretty compelling. The GFN interface is a bit rough, hence the confusion some people are having when using it, whereas Stadia's is sleek and simplified.

The next few months are gonna be real interesting for game-streaming.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Disappointing to hear about lack of iOS support. I wonder which cloud service will be first to that platform

steam link have gotten round this somehow, and as this is the same thing just with a virtual machine, I have hope.

I have been enjoying the beta and despite the foybles it's the right streaming solution for me right now. Pricing is good value, and a 10 a month tier with a gamepass like library is very possible in future

streaming wars getting a bit tasty now

Willy

Oct 27, 2017
The price is very good so I will consider signing up to the paid tier if the free experience is any good.

I do have a couple of questions though with the first being; is it secure? and secondly how does it handle Steam guard and do you have to input your Steam credentials every time you play?