• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Does anyone remember this?

The year before current gen started, Nvidia had this ray tracing demo on Kepler / GTX 680 / GK104 GPU, in 2012.

This is 6 years before RTX in Volta and Turing GPUs (2018).

Damn, that was SO GOOD, amazing!

I never see anyone mention that 7 year old RT / fluid simulation demo, these days.

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Isn't that full ray tracing, but RTX is only using ray tracing for some elements like lighting and reflections etc?

Hopefully someone can explain better.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Curiously, when the camera at around 1:50, the reflection on the bottom part of the glass cube to the NV logo behind it warps in a way that looks like screen-space stuff, could just be my brain going nuts though :D

Yeah, I wish we had more fluid simulations in games. We basically have next to none that are not just geo meshes that ripple on the surface.
Isn't that full ray tracing, but RTX is only using ray tracing for some elements like lighting and reflections etc?

Hopefully someone can explain better.

RTX is just the name of the Driver and hardware acceleration for Ray tracing, through Direct X Ray Tracing Or Vulkan (DXR). It has no limitations like you describe and can fully use ray tracing for every single thing (Minecraft RTX and Quake 2 RTX work basically like that).

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Curiously, when the camera at around 1:50, the reflection on the bottom part of the glass cube to the NV logo behind it warps in a way that looks like screen-space stuff, could just be my brain going nuts though :D

Yeah, I wish we had more fluid simulations in games. We basically have next to none that are not just geo meshes that ripple on the surface.
We need a raytracing version of Phil Harrison's favourite game:

(I can't believe they expected us to pay money for that nonsense.)
RTX is just the name of the Driver and hardware acceleration for Ray tracing, through Direct X Ray Tracing Or Vulkan (DXR). It has no limitations like you describe and can fully use ray tracing for every single thing (Minecraft RTX and Quake 2 RTX work basically like that).
OK that makes sense.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like maybe only sharp reflections, but still not sure what other tricks they're doing. It's still just a tech demo.

Anyone remember the PS3 raytracing demos? Made me think PS4 would have raytracing capacity sufficient for simple games...

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Its so expensive though, but i would like to have it as well.
Still cannot phantom how Control does it for its smoke effects.

OP
OP
SharpX68K

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I think I even remember a raytracing demo on Fermi hardware, of a car, but it only moved at like 2-3 fps. Maybe it was on Kepler, but IIRC it was 2010-2011 which was Fermi's time.